ADVERTISEMENT

Elephant in the room

Completely fair but how do you think this is being sold on social media and in recruiting circles.
There's something to that, but IU is still moving forward in the long arc which is meaningful to this point in a coule ways. I think IU will do less and less IU things over time, so Allen's persona will be less and less weaponizable. I forget my other point...

This is really, really dumb. Do people not forget where we were at before Allen?

Sheridan called an absolute gem today. He needs more credit on here. He’s absolutely not the problem.

Penix is not the answer. I’m all for switching it up if the staff feels Tuttle is better.

Today wasn’t Allen’s best and I’d love to see him delegate more in game decisions, but calling for his head is absurd.
I agree, Allen is not the problem. All these different posters calling for Allen to be replaced, most are one or two different Purdue fans, who post on the Purdue board, using different names like IUhaterade/mathboy/Level 42/BBG/gd4now/JohnnieDoeBoiler, ect., ect... They/he is here just to cause trouble.

Do other teams have special teams coordinators that run another position group? That's feeling like a mistake right now. We had 2 big special teams mistakes. Would have been 3, but a heads-up player pushed one of our lineman into proper formation right before the snap

I don't think allen is the issue, if the offense performs, Allen is still the IU savior. The proof of whether or not Allen is the long term answer is what he does with Sheridan and Hiller after the season. In my opinion, the Sheridan/Hiller issue will determine if Allen is tough enough to do what is needed. Penix has thrown three picks in each of the two losses, that's not on Allen, that's on Sheridan/Hiller/Penix.

Penix is not mentally ready to play with the terrible OL in front of him and Sheridan doesn't call the game accepting that the line is terrible. It won't get a lot better and the ceiling is mediocre. Penix's mechanics suffer because of the line and manifest in low completion percentages.

I still think this IU team is good enough to win games this year. The OL, particularly early, showed the ability to move the ball by opening lanes and the pass blocking wasn’t bad.

the question is can they play an all three phases game to secure those wins.

Reactions: IUgradman
I don't think allen is the issue, if the offense performs, Allen is still the IU savior. The proof of whether or not Allen is the long term answer is what he does with Sheridan and Hiller after the season. In my opinion, the Sheridan/Hiller issue will determine if Allen is tough enough to do what is needed. Penix has thrown three picks in each of the two losses, that's not on Allen, that's on Sheridan/Hiller/Penix.

Penix is not mentally ready to play with the terrible OL in front of him and Sheridan doesn't call the game accepting that the line is terrible. It won't get a lot better and the ceiling is mediocre. Penix's mechanics suffer because of the line and manifest in low completion percentages.
Sheridan called a good game
Why is Teegardin able to screw up 2.5 times today and no one has a problem with his role in today's loss

Reactions: iueyedoc99 and TMFT

So who’s call is it to put Penix out there?

Yes, I must have been delusional thinking Penix was the answer at QB after he won 11 of the first 14 games he started. I'm still waiting to hear when you first sounded the alarm about him. Was it more than 14 day ago? I think not.

He’s played like dog shit in three of his last four games, and the fourth (Idaho) didn’t do anything to boost any kind of confidence. But please, keep citing ppf as if it means a damn thing.

Haven’t read any of the other threads, not going to do sorry if this has been rehashed, Tom Allen is the problem. LEO and rah rah only going to take this team so far. Allen has been out coached in just about every big game IU has played,

Penalties, turnovers, guys lined up wrong, all an extension of coaching. Going to lose any momentum we’ve had the last 18 months quick.

Penix sucks. Another sub 50% completion game, multiple turnovers, he is a shell of himself. I’m struggling to find 6 wins. Embarrassing.
Disagree. Main issue is offensive coordinator. We are back to the days of run up the middle twice and then a long throw. Way too much talent to do that.,

Reactions: vesuvius13
Disagree. Main issue is offensive coordinator. We are back to the days of run up the middle twice and then a long throw. Way too much talent to do that.,

Offensive play calling didn’t lose us this game. Lack of execution and mental mistakes did. All an extension of coaching.

Reactions: TMFT
We’ll see. If IU goes 4-8 or possibly even 3-9 with a lot of the same players he had last year, then I think most fans will not consider him to be a long term solution.
What in the world makes you think we will have that record? We’ve lit to two too 10 teams… problem is we have more top ten teams to play.

I don’t think 3 interception and a fumble, and losing your top defensive player are the coaches fault.

Who continues to trot Penix out? 17/40 and 3 INT’s isn’t the offensive coordinators fault. It’s poor execution that keeps getting excused.

He’s played like dog shit in three of his last four games, and the fourth (Idaho) didn’t do anything to boost any kind of confidence. But please, keep citing ppf as if it means a damn thing.
Even if I was dead wrong, it doesn't explain why you're coming after me so hard. We're both (I think) fans of the same team. Either you're a dick or just having a really bad day.

I have an IU grad degree I’m also an OSU grad and I know you all don’t want to hear this but most of the rest of the country thinks LEO and Allen’s theatrics are cringe inducing. He’s an excellent coordinator and rah-rah guy. We have one of those only he’s a position coach and rah-rah guy, Kerry Coombs. Before the “what do you know” comments start…my research area is fan behavior and experience. This is not a head coach long term…
Well it certainly made him a media darling last year and seemed to get him into a lot of recruits’ homes we never have been in before. I’m not going to panic .

Calling the same play on first down the entire game is not a recipe for success. See Mike Debord.

IU had every chance in the world to win today regardless of the first down play calling. Turnovers, mental mistakes, poor execution is why Indiana lost. That falls on the head coach. There’s zero way to sugarcoat it. Luke Fickell outcoached Tom Allen today.

Having Ryder Anderson dropping into coverage is a waste. The guy is the best rushing DE IU has had in a while. Let him get after the passer.

Casey needed to play more than TA Jr. This guy made a bunch of plays last year for Limited snaps.

That Returned KO right after IU took a 24-23 lead was a killer. Can’t blame Inge anymore. The lining up over the Center on the FG after the D forced that is inexcusable. That’s special teams 101.

All that said, tough to overcome 4 TO’s, leaving lots of points on the field.

Last edited:
IU had every chance in the world to win today regardless of the first down play calling. Turnovers, mental mistakes, poor execution is why Indiana lost. That falls on the head coach. There’s zero way to sugarcoat it. Luke Fickell outcoached Tom Allen today.
No it wasn’t the only reason but it was just as much a reason.

Having Ryder Anderson dropping into coverage is a waste. The guy is the best rushing DE IU has had in a while. Let him get after the passer.

Casey needed to play more than TA Jr. This guy made a bunch of plays last year for Limited snaps.

That Returned KO right after IU took a 24-23 lead was a killer. Can’t blame Inge anymore. The lining up over the Center on the FG after the D forced that is inexcusable. That’s special teams 101.

All that said, tough to overcome 4 TO’s, leaving lots of points on the field.
They lined up wrong a 2nd time. A player in the backfield just happened to take the initiative and shoved the lineman into the proper spot.

Players make plays and our guys wilt when the bright lights shine. If we just slow it down a bit, collect our breath before half, you probably go in up 14-0 or 14-3 at half. Instead, they start making the usual boneheaded plays like lining up off sides on a 3 point attempt, throwing in desperation back across your body and generally shooting yourself in the foot at every opportunity. Zero poise. The coaches change, the players change but IU maintains its tradition of choking at the worst possible time in a game. We are consistent there.

You've got a total of fewer than 60 posts and I think half of them were today. You're a pitiful troll.

I have an IU grad degree I’m also an OSU grad and I know you all don’t want to hear this but most of the rest of the country thinks LEO and Allen’s theatrics are cringe inducing. He’s an excellent coordinator and rah-rah guy. We have one of those only he’s a position coach and rah-rah guy, Kerry Coombs. Before the “what do you know” comments start…my research area is fan behavior and experience. This is not a head coach long term…
I would be interested to hear how your research in fan behavior and experience informs your opinion about optimal HC temperament (no sarcasm intended I am truly interested)?

Sheridan called a good game
Why is Teegardin able to screw up 2.5 times today and no one has a problem with his role in today's loss
Sheridan called a good game if you consider running on every first down a 'good game'.

We were 2nd and long all day, even when we moved the ball. So predictable. He did have a couple new plays that worked, but running EVERY damn first down is maddening.

Haven’t read any of the other threads, not going to do sorry if this has been rehashed, Tom Allen is the problem. LEO and rah rah only going to take this team so far. Allen has been out coached in just about every big game IU has played,

Penalties, turnovers, guys lined up wrong, all an extension of coaching. Going to lose any momentum we’ve had the last 18 months quick.

Penix sucks. Another sub 50% completion game, multiple turnovers, he is a shell of himself. I’m struggling to find 6 wins. Embarrassing.
All I'm gonna say is I think you need some serious help if that's the conclusion you take away from that game, please call mental health services and get the help you need, but don't fill up the forum page with garbage commentary.

Yes, I must have been delusional thinking Penix was the answer at QB after he won 11 of the first 14 games he started. I'm still waiting to hear when you first sounded the alarm about him. Was it more than 14 day ago? I think not.
Sometimes when you win, it's in spite of a certain player, not (necessarily) because of him. On a football or basketball team, the head coach has much more influence than any one player. Give Allen more time to build this program, 2/3 more years, then judge weather he is making progress. In 3 yrs. from now, if he has a losing record to Purdue, then start to look for alternatives.

Rome wasn't built in a day

Common Sense

This is really, really dumb. Do people not forget where we were at before Allen?

Sheridan called an absolute gem today. He needs more credit on here. He’s absolutely not the problem.

Penix is not the answer. I’m all for switching it up if the staff feels Tuttle is better.

Today wasn’t Allen’s best and I’d love to see him delegate more in game decisions, but calling for his head is absurd.
“Sheridan called an absolute gem today” - that is so far from the truth. 1st down run - always! Never run outside of the tackles! No mid range passing game! No tempo!

How many times were we 3rd and long?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT