ADVERTISEMENT

Elephant in the room

We should have won anyway. Three times inside UC's 10 without any points is inexcusable. The 99-yard kickoff return didn't help either. We can't keep playing like that or we're not going to win many games.

Beat WKU!
Definitely true but big Mo wasn’t going anywhere until halftime without the targeting

Reactions: vesuvius13
We should have won anyway. Three times inside UC's 10 without any points is inexcusable. The 99-yard kickoff return didn't help either. We can't keep playing like that or we're not going to win many games.

Beat WKU!
You are correct but so is Bowlmania. If the targeting call never happened, OR we didn’t waste three drives to the 10, OR we don’t have the turnovers, OR our ST doesn’t effectively give up 11, we win. We probably could have gotten away with 2 or even 3 of those events, but not all four.

Unfortunately (unbelievably?) all of those things happened.

Tom Allen’s seat is as cool as Nick Saban’s. Like dry ice cold. And it would still be that way if we go 1-11 this year. Let’s get real.

At this point I think all reasonable minds can agree on his strengths and weaknesses. He’s a fantastic big picture guy. He’s one of the best motivators in the game. He’s fantastic with the fan base.

On the other side he’s one of the worst game managers in the history of college football. I mean flat out pathetic at it. I assume it’s because he’s so emotional. Unfortunately he’s as bad now as he was his first year. He absolutely has to find a way to delegate more in game decisions. Someone to manage the clock and make tough calls based on statistics. If he can’t do that we’ll never get over the hill in big games.

Tom Allen’s seat is as cool as Nick Saban’s. Like dry ice cold. And it would still be that way if we go 1-11 this year. Let’s get real.

At this point I think all reasonable minds can agree on his strengths and weaknesses. He’s a fantastic big picture guy. He’s one of the best motivators in the game. He’s fantastic with the fan base.

On the other side he’s one of the worst game managers in the history of college football. I mean flat out pathetic at it. I assume it’s because he’s so emotional. Unfortunately he’s as bad now as he was his first year. He absolutely has to find a way to delegate more in game decisions. Someone to manage the clock and make tough calls based on statistics. If he can’t do that we’ll never get over the hill in big games.

Many a brilliant manager has failed because of the inability to give up the reins and delegate responsibilities.

I still think this IU team is good enough to win games this year. The OL, particularly early, showed the ability to move the ball by opening lanes and the pass blocking wasn’t bad.

the question is can they play an all three phases game to secure those wins.
Can we play Idaho again?

He wasn't outcoached yesterday, he was outexecuted, Penix is a seperate issue, you can't blame CTA for being less involved in the offense than the defense, and the defense has given up 20, 14, and 24 points(kickoff return touchdown, and pick down to the 10 yard line), the offense is a problem, but honestly a lot of that was execution, the one coaching decision I was not a fan of was the going for it on 4th down, and essentially just trying to catch cincy off guard.

I also think you don't seem to understand how important building a culture is, especially at a program like Indiana where there is no football culture or traditions. I do wish that Tom Allen would find someone to pass the reigns to on offense, but your high if you think that defense hasn't been one of the most well coached in the country over the last 3 seasons, talent wise, they should be significantly worse. Now I am going to crap on the Indiana program so get ready.

In your delusional world where CTA gets fired, who in their right mind do you think would want to take over. Indiana is on the rise with CTA, but nothing is established yet, we are still with Kansas, Rutgers, and Wake Forest as a program, no one would want to take the job of someone who was beloved by most Hoosier fans, for a program that has never even tasted success. You sound like a Nebraska fan right now, they all claim their program should be more successful but they've in turn downgraded their program by having these delusional expectations about their own program. If CTA were to retire tomorrow, Indiana would still be a bottom tier job in the power 5, and this program would take a massive step back.

Take a step back and realize Indiana is 1-2, it's just 3 games, yesterday's issues were execution of our players more than anything, and they were outcoached in 1 of their 3 games, but to be fair they were playing a team currently in the top five in the AP poll, so I will cut them some slack, and you are out here just looking at ways to chip away at CTA's resume because of their current record, after playing two top ten teams to open the year. Your points on the bowl games are idiotic, Ole Miss and Tennessee are far more talented than Indiana, Tennessee was a pathetic choke, but I have no problem with how the Ole Miss game turned out given we were missing circa 2021 Penix. PU's comeback was more about our guys letting their foot off the gas than Jeff Brohm actually outcoaching CTA.

I have plenty of criticism for CTA too, the offense needs to improve and we can't have so much sloppy execution on both side of the ball and on special teams, but you should not say "Tom Allen is the problem" that is just ridiculous because frankly Indiana would be lucky to hire some HC out of a GO5 school or an assistant at a low tier power 5 school. If you want to point out CTA's flaws, that's fine, but you need to frame it so you are understanding the value he brings to this program and that's not something I am getting from you at all in your last two messages.
Defense > Offense; Tuttle > Penix

He is a great motivational sideline guy. Great defense too.

Reactions: IndyIUFan66
Haven’t read any of the other threads, not going to do sorry if this has been rehashed, Tom Allen is the problem. LEO and rah rah only going to take this team so far. Allen has been out coached in just about every big game IU has played,

Penalties, turnovers, guys lined up wrong, all an extension of coaching. Going to lose any momentum we’ve had the last 18 months quick.

Penix sucks. Another sub 50% completion game, multiple turnovers, he is a shell of himself. I’m struggling to find 6 wins. Embarrassing.
I agree. Some of our fans are embarrassing.

THIS is the BEST answer for why I think IU should have a dedicated ST coach! I’m my view it’s not easy to be giving up a KO Return 96 yds for a TD. Not if you’re drilled and disciplined in your coverage and lanes. Always have a deep safety valve, etc.

Look at out snapper/FG kicker combo. Those two are lights out pros! I think the new punter is coming into his own. That level of specialization deserves teams around them being equally disciplined and focused. The KO return was awful last week. But lining up over the center mY have been worse or as bad as it ultimately led to another TD too! But HOW could that not be known by the player - like drilled to never forget or do that - unless they have t actually drilled it that often? “You can’t line up over the center on a FG attempt” should have been a mantra! And believe it almost happened a second time were it not for another player moving a guy over. (Where was the guy who moved him on the first snap? And who ever almost did it the second time either almost did it twice (very concerning) or wasn’t paying attention first time - not good either - or neither had been taught that from the start - which would be most alarming of all.
Id also suggest that a fair catch from 2 on a kickoff sure seems to SA end a message of “we are not a threat for a good run back ever” which if you have a ST coach, would seem like a slap in the face of your abilities there too.

IU had 3 bad picks and a worse fumble that hurt badly! Offense needs to get right fast.

But ST cost IU 14 points too, and if you take those away, and the momentum they helped give Cinci, IU may have still won this game I still believe they outplayed Cinci and should have won. So yes, maybe IU & Caoach Allen should follow the Iowa mode and have Coach T solely focus on ST and grow further into that job?
The problem is that the IU defense has many specialized positions that require individual coaches.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
The problem is that the IU defense has many specialized positions that require individual coaches.
I am not sure 🤔 but that. We have a LB, Corner & safeties coach, and the Coach T coaching Husky & Bull too?

you really telling me INE DB coach couldn’t coach corners/safeties? Or LB coach (which we use 2!) couldn’t add Bull? Or safeties only coach can’t add Husky? Please! If #4 ranked Iowa and Ferentz can do it, pretty sure IU could!

Allen isn’t getting fired obviously. Not for a few more seasons. But he is being exposed right now.
I guess your right if you call being exposed by losing to the AP ranked #2, #3 and #7 ranked teams in the country, with two of those losses on the road. While I am disappointed, talking about fiting Allen is crazy talk, plain and simple. I will say coach Allen could be a little quicker in making a QB change. I think long term we are still in a good place. I recommend taking a step back from the ledge and let's see how Tuttle performs next week against the #11 ranked team in the nation. I predict we win.

I guess your right if you call being exposed by losing to the AP ranked #2, #3 and #7 ranked teams in the country, with two of those losses on the road. While I am disappointed, talking about fiting Allen is crazy talk, plain and simple. I will say coach Allen could be a little quicker in making a QB change. I think long term we are still in a good place. I recommend taking a step back from the ledge and let's see how Tuttle performs next week against the #11 ranked team in the nation. I predict we win.
I doubt that any bowl committees will take that into consideration, after last season we should be ranked in the top 10!

I am not sure 🤔 but that. We have a LB, Corner & safeties coach, and the Coach T coaching Husky & Bull too?

you really telling me INE DB coach couldn’t coach corners/safeties? Or LB coach (which we use 2!) couldn’t add Bull? Or safeties only coach can’t add Husky? Please! If #4 ranked Iowa and Ferentz can do it, pretty sure IU could!
Iowa is a very vanilla team defensively. They play a two deep scheme with either zone or man under. They don’t do as much as we do in coverage. They are 4-3 up front which there linebackers will play run and have gap responsibility but also their techniques are basically the same. So one coach can coach all three. One coach can coach all four defensive linemen. Al have similar techniques.
whereas IU plays a 4-2 -5. They have d lineman who may rush on one play and may drop in coverage another. They have linebacker that is a mix of linebacker and and defensive back. He has different responsibilities and techniques than the other backers. They play a bunch of different coverages because of the different types of pressures. Resulting in different techniques. That is why they have so many coaches dedicated to the defense. Many coaches today still have a position coach in charge of special teams with other position coaches chipping in. Urban Meyer always used to be the special teams coach.

Nope. Nope. Nope. I think a big mistake was putting his son on his team. But other than that a lot of the mistakes fall on the assistant coaches. The offensive line coach has to go this year. How can you have a 6 foot eight 360 pound offense of tackle that has not improved in four years?

New Oline coached changed things offensively at MSU more than people realize, IMO. So you may be correct.

I don’t know any coach that does not need two good coordinators and and a bunch of good position coaches. If you you do tell me who that is?
Any coach who calls plays. And there’s a ton of them. It’s still helpful to have good coordinators but not near as important as a HC who doesn’t call plays.

It’s not just the losses, it’s how we lost. I agree that Allen isn’t on the hot seat. Won’t be until next season at earliest. But it’s a total cop out to excuse the losses by saying we lost to 3 good teams. We looked like a MAC team against Iowa and Penn St.

Re read thread did not see what coach can be successful without good assistants.
It’s not about who would be successful without good assistants. We operate at a disadvantage to several teams on our schedule in talent, fans, and dollars. We had 2 guys that were very good at keeping those teams off balance and had 2 of the best seasons we have in a long time. Those guys are gone and the results speak for themselves. Warren has not done a bad job and certainly deserves more time but not seeing chaos out there like last year. Sheridan has been terrible. Last year we had some explosive plays but were inconsistent and the defense was the reason we won as many games as we did. This year without that same defense his shortcomings are being more exposed. So Yeah, I think Allen needs very good assistants and not ones that are training on the job. Especially since many of his in game decisions could be described as head scratching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT