ADVERTISEMENT

Elections have meaning.

I'd say yes - emphatically. If the Electoral College didn't exist, our Presidential candidates wouldn't give a flying fack about the smaller states in this country. They'd spend all their time campaigning on issues important to the largest cities and states in this country. Smaller states only get a small boost in their importance because of the EC, but it's enough of one that Presidential candidates (and ultimately the elected President) has to actually care about the issues in the mid to smaller states too. I've thought the EC was genius since I learned about it as a kid and only thought more of it as I learned more about it through my college years (started out as a Political Science major) and beyond. Long live the EC!
But the EC doesn't really mean that the candidates spend time in small states. Rather, it means that they spend time in competitive states, some of which are small, but many of which are large. Do candidates really spend time in Vermont? No, not really. But they do spend time in Florida and Ohio.

Besides, that's more a function of the winner-take-all nature of the EC, which is not actually enshrined in the Constitution. If all fifty states moved to the model used by Nebraska and Maine, I bet you'd see candidates focusing on a much wider variety of locales, since a lot of non-competitive states would contain individual districts that would be highly competitive.

I have read most of this thread. You know where I stand. I would like to point out the genius of the poet. Willie wrote a tutorial for all, "if you don't like them vote them out". He said the biggest gun is the vote. I like the Republic and majority rule scares me to death. I think it is great that Willie at age 86 can still do that kind of teaching.

You’re right, angry folks bang cars with clubs. Crazy would be good description too. Mostly white kids that are trying to act brave but to chickenshit to really be brave and join a military service.

Interesting, in the Antifa thread I pointed out how many more conservatives commit murder for political purposes, yet people standing in the street is still everyone's top fear.

Or i pointed out how a presidential candidate urged violence against protesters, yet people in the street is still everyone's too fear.

Today, a Republican running for governor in Pennsylvania said he wanted to stomp on the current governor's face with golf cleats, and was cheered on, yet people milling in the streets is our biggest threat.

A Republican candidate suggested the death penalty for abortion, and people in the streets is our biggest tragedy.

I do not know why Antifa did what they did. It is not what I would do, and I believe they hurt the cause. But they are far from a tsunami of violence. When they break the law, they should be arrested just as anyone else. But the numbers are crystal clear, right wing groups have been killing many more Americans since Vietnam than left wing. Let's discuss that problem.

No they can't win under the American system on issues and are acting out their frustration in unamerican ways.
Yet they got three million more votes? Ok..... Since when is protesting unAmerican? Are those your rules?

Yet they got three million more votes? Ok..... Since when is protesting unAmerican? Are those your rules?
You know damn good and well I support protesting. I am protesting people like you that believe in pure democracy and majority rule and know that your base can't win the electoral collage.

You know damn good and well I support protesting. I am protesting people like you that believe in pure democracy and majority rule and know that your base can't win the electronical collage.
The base can, will and does win the Electoral College. There are many more people that support what we support. The problem is getting them to vote.

The base can, will and does win the Electoral College. There are many more people that support what we support. The problem is getting them to vote.
That is Willie Nelsons message. If you want to win the debate on the electoral collage then you need a majority that can pass an amendment. How do you propose to get around that? The only way is to "vote them out".

Interesting, in the Antifa thread I pointed out how many more conservatives commit murder for political purposes, yet people standing in the street is still everyone's top fear.

Or i pointed out how a presidential candidate urged violence against protesters, yet people in the street is still everyone's too fear.

Today, a Republican running for governor in Pennsylvania said he wanted to stomp on the current governor's face with golf cleats, and was cheered on, yet people milling in the streets is our biggest threat.

A Republican candidate suggested the death penalty for abortion, and people in the streets is our biggest tragedy.

I do not know why Antifa did what they did. It is not what I would do, and I believe they hurt the cause. But they are far from a tsunami of violence. When they break the law, they should be arrested just as anyone else. But the numbers are crystal clear, right wing groups have been killing many more Americans since Vietnam than left wing. Let's discuss that problem.
That there is far more violence in America from the extreme right than the extreme left is an established, undeniable fact. That so many people feel the need to vehemently ignore/deny this fact must have some psychological root.

I could use me some electronical collage...

jimi_hendrix_are_you_experienced_us_cover_photo_by_ilanv_public-domain_via_wikimedia_commons_promo.jpg

Good catch. I am challenged. It is a disability yo.

Reactions: iuwclurker
It protecting us from people like you.
Before you have a stroke, Rockport, let me just tell you, and you'll have to trust me on this, liberals don't hate Vietnam vets and they aren't hellbent on ruining the United States of America. In fact, to the contrary, they're trying to save it from extinction.

By the way, as you may know, Trump wants us to return to the glorious 1950s. You know what happened next, right? That's right--the Vietnam War. You don't really want to fight that again, do you?

Before you have a stroke, Rockport, let me just tell you, and you'll have to trust me on this, liberals don't hate Vietnam vets and they aren't hellbent on ruining the United States of America. In fact, to the contrary, they're trying to save it from extinction.

By the way, as you may know, Trump wants us to return to the glorious 1950s. You know what happened next, right? That's right--the Vietnam War. You don't really want to fight that again, do you?
You are not trying to save it from extinction if you want to give the majority rule. The majority gave us the designated hitter for gods sake.

Reactions: stollcpa
I don't know where you live, but these are the type of "mobs" that I'm familiar with. You should get out some more. Talk to some Democrats. Take a statistics class. Don't be so quick to let others tell you how to think.

unnamed-10-e1446653673271.jpg

unnamed-9-e1446654145500.jpg
This truly defines Fake News.

You are not trying to save it from extinction if you want to give the majority rule. The majority gave us the designated hitter for gods sake.
If you're talking about democracy versus democratic republic, I don't think many would disagree with you. A true democracy is akin to mob rule, but with or without the electoral college we're still a republic with three branches of government. Senators are supposed to represent their entire state and so they're elected by majority vote from their state. Representatives are supposed to represent their state district and so they're elected by a majority of that district. The President is supposed to represent the entire United States so why isn't she elected by a majority of the citizens of the United States?

Not internet tuff guy at all. I am just tired of watching idiots in the streets beating on old folks cars and trying to pull them out of their cars. Why would anyone not drive through theses thugs? Wait for them to beat the hell out of you?
Not me, I was strictly taught - never cause a fight, but just as strongly - never back down from one either. Also, you lay it down for the weaker ones.

These thugs would never touch my car. I work too damn hard to own it. They’ve never been confronted by someone who’s not scared of their threats. It’s not about being a tough guy at all, it’s about holding a standard of common decency. Our Constitution doesn’t condone these acts that disrupt the lives of the general public. You want to protest - fine. Do it peaceably.

Reactions: Rockport Zebra
If you're talking about democracy versus democratic republic, I don't think many would disagree with you. A true democracy is akin to mob rule, but with or without the electoral college we're still a republic with three branches of government. Senators are supposed to represent their entire state and so they're elected by majority vote from their state. Representatives are supposed to represent their state district and so they're elected by a majority of that district. The President is supposed to represent the entire United States so why isn't she elected by a majority of the citizens of the United States?
Because of the rules established, if you want to change it you need a super majority and 37 states. The current left in my view is losing votes every day despite dumb butt.

Because of the rules established, if you want to change it you need a super majority and 37 states. The current left in my view is losing votes every day despite dumb butt.
I agree. EC is here to stay. It's just a philosophical discussion.

lol

Democrats don't know how to divide butter with a titanium knife. The division you're feeling is in your mind, cleaved by the Republican talking points you've had pounded into your head.
What Republican talking points? Rockport is no Republican lemming! He is simply an independent who will never ever ever vote for a Democrat! He's been very clear on this point.

Reactions: UncleMark
lol

Democrats don't know how to divide butter with a titanium knife. The division you're feeling is in your mind, cleaved by the Republican talking points you've had pounded into your head.
You are mistaken about me. I have no Republican talking points. That is a fantasy in your mind not mine.

Reactions: mohoosier
You’re right again Goat! Congrats! Yes, I do!

Do you?
Very intimately.

Although I must say your posting here does not display this level of self-understanding you claim to have. Perhaps you are just having fun with us, and the real you is much more aware and introspective? It's quite possible. A lot of people play a character online that is very different than the real them.

But the EC doesn't really mean that the candidates spend time in small states. Rather, it means that they spend time in competitive states, some of which are small, but many of which are large. Do candidates really spend time in Vermont? No, not really. But they do spend time in Florida and Ohio.

Besides, that's more a function of the winner-take-all nature of the EC, which is not actually enshrined in the Constitution. If all fifty states moved to the model used by Nebraska and Maine, I bet you'd see candidates focusing on a much wider variety of locales, since a lot of non-competitive states would contain individual districts that would be highly competitive.
I actually would prefer that every state apportion their EC votes based on statewide vote, but without the EC Presidential candidates would care little to nothing about the midsize to small states and cities.

Last edited:
Perhaps you are just having fun with us, and the real you is much more aware and introspective? It's quite possible. A lot of people play a character online that is very different than the real them.
In real life, I'm really an ignorant rube who can't string a coherent sentence together. The thoughtful, well crafted stuff I post is a ruse.

Reactions: hoosboot

Where can I get my inoculation against facts? That would make things so much easier.

Right. You don't spend 99% of your time posting here making insulting comments about the "liberals." I guess if you insult a group instead of an individual, it doesn't count? I didn't realize that. From now on, when I want to say something awful about one of you conservative trolls, I will make sure to insult the whole of you all at once, so I can't be accused of being...I dunno...mean, or whatever.
For your information, making truthful statements about policy and ideals is not a personal insult. Nor is posting an article, with a comment. If it hurts your feelings so much, just move on. After all, isn’t that exactly what you tell everyone else?

Oh and they posed for a pic afterwards making the sign many of you think means three point basket or ok.

Oh and they posed for a pic afterwards making the sign many of you think means three point basket or ok.
Of course the sign does mean those things, Zeke. It’s obviously about context. Apparently also how you position your hand when you do it. I’m wondering why the 4 or 5 black or Asian guys are making the sign too.

Reactions: herrli

Hmmmmm.... did you read the story? I don’t know about these guys but sounds like you guys pulled the wrong guy outta the car.... hahahahaha love names of the sources.

“Both Bachom and Horse told HuffPost they believed the altercation began when three anti-fascist protesters knocked a red “Make America Great Again” hat off a Proud Boy member’s head. “

It also said as they were getting pummeled the guy asked them if they still felt brave and called him a ******. Sounds like they gave them what they were asking for...

Of course the sign does mean those things, Zeke. It’s obviously about context. Apparently also how you position your hand when you do it. I’m wondering why the 4 or 5 black or Asian guys are making the sign too.
I think that’s the point I was discussing before. Obviously context matters. Which is how I knew what the guy was doing when I saw it. No idea that there were Asians in Proud Boys or why.

I think that’s the point I was discussing before. Obviously context matters. Which is how I knew what the guy was doing when I saw it. No idea that there were Asians in Proud Boys or why.
They’re in the picture in your link - Asians and blacks making the sign with those guys. By the way, yet another fringe group I’ve never heard of.

By the way, wasn’t the context just a college kid making the OK sign for a picture? I’m still wondering how you made the leap that he was using it for white power or something.

I actually would prefer that every state apportion their EC votes based on statewide vote, but without the EC Presidential candidates would care little to nothing about the midsize to small states and cities.
Wouldn't that essentially be the same as electing the president via popular vote.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT