ADVERTISEMENT

Effort/Attitude

MikeHoncho69

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2018
If you want to know why Butler is ranked in the top 10 while IU is wandering through the un-ranked wilderness despite being wildly more talented, I have one simple answer for you: effort and attitude.

All 12 of Butler's scholarship players hustle and exert every last ounce of energy while they're on the court. They care deeply about winning, and do the little things right on a consistent basis. They have a fire on the defensive end and battle for every loose ball.

It's infuriating to me that IU's roster seems to be filled with over-sized egos and a permeating sense of entitlement. I sincerely hope Archie and the staff have put an end to that mentality.

If you want to know why Butler is ranked in the top 10 while IU is wandering through the un-ranked wilderness despite being wildly more talented, I have one simple answer for you: effort and attitude.

All 12 of Butler's scholarship players hustle and exert every last ounce of energy while they're on the court. They care deeply about winning, and do the little things right on a consistent basis. They have a fire on the defensive end and battle for every loose ball.

It's infuriating to me that IU's roster seems to be filled with over-sized egos and a permeating sense of entitlement. I sincerely hope Archie and the staff have put an end to that mentality.

It's no wonder they're good: they're putting all 12 guys on the floor at one time? Seriously, I think everyone sees this is a flawed team, but we are coming off a nice win. I bet I know someone who's going to get a serious diaper rash when we lose our next game!

And, fwiw, yes this team drives me crazy too, but this game was progress. I don't think it's so much a sense of entitlement and egos as we just don't have any alpha players who are willing to, or even understand what it means, to scratch, claw and fight for loose balls and give maximum effort. We sorely need a leader to emerge for this team to begin to approach it's capabilities.

It's no wonder they're good: they're putting all 12 guys on the floor at one time? Seriously, I think everyone sees this is a flawed team, but we are coming off a nice win. I bet I know someone who's going to get a serious diaper rash when we lose our next game!

And, fwiw, yes this team drives me crazy too, but this game was progress. I don't think it's so much a sense of entitlement and egos as we just don't have any alpha players who are willing to, or even understand what it means, to scratch, claw and fight for loose balls and give maximum effort. We sorely need a leader to emerge for this team to begin to approach it's capabilities.
Here we go with the childish attacks. I was here to have a serious conversation about basketball, but can't with you after your unnecessary diaper comment.

Reactions: MG80
Here we go with the childish attacks. I was here to have a serious conversation about basketball, but can't with you after your unnecessary diaper comment.

No, no you weren't. You were just piling on and complaining despite what was a very nice, if flawed win. It gets old: our own "fans" attacking our players, especially after a good win. Is some of what you said true and relevant? Yep, we certainly have issues with how we play. But, I don't think we have a roster full of "bad kids" as you inferred with your comments. Maybe there is a player or two who needs their attitude adjusted, and it sounds like Archie did just that after NW, and both Green and Davis seemed to respond and played better vs OSU. So, no, I'm not apologizing for razzing you when you attack our players, especially in the context coming off a good win when we showed some improvement. If you want to have a "serious conversation" then how about discussing the problems without throwing our entire roster under the bus? If you can't do that, then there's always the diaper....

It's the problem on this site. By pointing out kkott's obvious attempt to troll someone, after the rest of his post is decent, you have taken his bait.

Remember, it takes two to fight. Why direct more attention to the minor thing and take the high road and keep to your excellent OP?

So back to that, kkott does make a decent point that IU's lack of a glue guy, a lack of a leader or of leadership on court, is keeping the team down.

Many ways to say it: They don't know how to consistently win the tough games; They don't understand how defense must be played on each possession; They don't do those little things that may not be on statistics after the game is over; and all of them need that basketball IQ thingy.

But the trend may be up. Phin is a big part of any upward movement of the team. Green, using better shot selection and to help that in coming off the bench is a great idea apparently. DeRon being more engaged and getting less fouls will help. The others, knowing their roles and having developed just enough this year to know what they should not do in game situations may help too. Move the ball on offense, set a screen, cut to the basket, deny the entry pass into the middle, defend like you mean it, and concentrate while shooting FT's.

Just beat Rutgers!

I wouldn't say it's "filled" with kids like that. And, by and large, the younger kids seem to be less like that. Archie's recruits are freshmen and sophomores. Let's see what the program looks like when those kids are juniors and seniors.

I wouldn't say it's "filled" with kids like that. And, by and large, the younger kids seem to be less like that. Archie's recruits are freshmen and sophomores. Let's see what the program looks like when those kids are juniors and seniors.

I think this is true, but even with the freshmen and sophs, they still seem to be "nice" kids. We need someone with some dog in them (and 2-3 wouldn't hurt!) who will get after it on the floor, out of bounds, etc... A Coverdale, Buckner, Fife type guy... I think that's what this team needs. I am hoping TJD and/or Phinisee will start to develop that a bit. Someone who when they get punched in the mouth, will punch back. The moment for me that represents what I'm talking about, and he was a "nice guy", was Cheaney getting in the Louisville players grill after he made a basket. I'm terrible with remembering years and dates, but Cheaney, while being nice, could get a little dog in him.

PS. I couldn't find a picture of the image I'm talking about, but here's one of "nice guy" Calbert, "owning a rebound". We could use more of this:
AP_91031502820_OP_1_CP__1554226750529.jpg_80295547_ver1.0.jpg

Last edited:

Try watching a post game presser. It’s not like Miller is unaware of the issue. Alan Henderson gave a great half time speech as well about supporting the players and coaches.
We just punched OSU in the mouth. Brunk shut down Caleb Wesson and they would of put about 70 on one of the best defensive teams in the country if they could of hit free throws. Green coming off the bench is gonna be a trademark move by Miller. He recognized it and fixed it.
Every team in the Big is struggling against each other. We are no exception yet still in great position to make a run if they continue to grow and build chemistry just like every other team in the country. Peak towards the end of the season is always the goal. Long ways to go and I’d imagine it will be a bumpy ride but no reason to count them out or their will to fight.
Just recall the team that quit when Sampson was replaced by jock itch. That was a team that quit. I don’t see anything remotely like that with this team. They are hungry.

I think this is true, but even with the freshmen and sophs, they still seem to be "nice" kids. We need someone with some dog in them (and 2-3 wouldn't hurt!) who will get after it on the floor, out of bounds, etc... A Coverdale, Buckner, Fife type guy... I think that's what this team needs. I am hoping TJD and/or Phinisee will start to develop that a bit. Someone who when they get punched in the mouth, will punch back. The moment for me that represents what I'm talking about, and he was a "nice guy", was Cheaney getting in the Louisville players grill after he made a basket. I'm terrible with remembering years and dates, but Cheaney, while being nice, could get a little dog in him.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind it, and I agree the leadership on this team leaves something to be desired. But, I don't think you see nearly as much of that in the game today as you used to. I would like to see some of the guys take personal accountability for what's happening out there. I hope that Archie continues to recruit tough, coachable kids.

Hopefully, for example, Franklin learns from his mistake against OSU.

Reactions: BigMobe and kkott
It's the problem on this site. By pointing out kkott's obvious attempt to troll someone, after the rest of his post is decent, you have taken his bait.

Remember, it takes two to fight. Why direct more attention to the minor thing and take the high road and keep to your excellent OP?

So back to that, kkott does make a decent point that IU's lack of a glue guy, a lack of a leader or of leadership on court, is keeping the team down.

Many ways to say it: They don't know how to consistently win the tough games; They don't understand how defense must be played on each possession; They don't do those little things that may not be on statistics after the game is over; and all of them need that basketball IQ thingy.

But the trend may be up. Phin is a big part of any upward movement of the team. Green, using better shot selection and to help that in coming off the bench is a great idea apparently. DeRon being more engaged and getting less fouls will help. The others, knowing their roles and having developed just enough this year to know what they should not do in game situations may help too. Move the ball on offense, set a screen, cut to the basket, deny the entry pass into the middle, defend like you mean it, and concentrate while shooting FT's.

Just beat Rutgers!
Here. I improved one of your sentences to get at one of the biggest problems: "They don't know how to consistently win the tough games avoid going 7-8 minutes without hitting a field goal."

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
Yeah, I wouldn't mind it, and I agree the leadership on this team leaves something to be desired. But, I don't think you see nearly as much of that in the game today as you used to. I would like to see some of the guys take personal accountability for what's happening out there. I hope that Archie continues to recruit tough, coachable kids.

Hopefully, for example, Franklin learns from his mistake against OSU.

Just from descriptions on here, Furst seems to be this type of more aggressive player I'm talking about, which is what has appealed to me about him. Some of the descriptions I've heard on Galloway, also seem to indicate he might be also, but then I also heard that Todd Leary said he was not a very aggressive player and not to expect that, which confused me based on most other descriptions. Didn't MSU recruit him? That to me is a good sign!

Our effort vs. osu was great! honestly, and i know i will get ripped for this, but i think that cupcake schedule was a real detriment to the team. the teams we played were so God awful that we could win playing at 80 percent. if you start to do that game after game you become conditioned to play at that speed/effort. i played on a top 20 D1 team in a different sport. the conference we played in was horrible. every time we got to the ncaa tournament it was an absolute shock because of the increase in speed after playing our lousy conference schedule. my hope is the effort we saw against osu will begin to be the norm as the kids realize they have to step it up to compete in the big ten.

I haven't watch as much high school basketball since my kids left high school. I watched Leal play in a live stream over the weekend and was surprised his team is in the top 5. I recently watched the team my cousin coaches in Illinois and could not believe how slow and soft they looked. The difference between any high school or AAU team and a D1 team is huge.

I would expect the the first thing a freshman learns is the effort level they have been playing at is not enough to compete against a player their own size and talent with college experience. The next step I expect would be the stamina and the conditioning to compete against that every day. It sounds easy, but I'm sure it is hard to do.

Mental toughness and a strong work ethic may be difficult to evaluate until they show up on campus.

PS. I couldn't find a picture of the image I'm talking about, but here's one of "nice guy" Calbert, "owning a rebound". We could use more of this:

You were thinking of 1993 against Dwayne Morton. Calbert had 32 i believe.

I think that Louisville team believed we were a bit soft and could be intimidated, and that showed them this wasn't the case. I remember being surprised when Calbert did that. I think more recently Arkansas thought the same thing... and I think it's a large part of how they got a win.

The biggest problem is that we don't have much talent. You could say we have depth, but honestly, there is no one on this team getting any serious minutes on the 92/93, 2002 teams. Those were great teams, no doubt, but that doesn't dismiss the fact that even TJD (our "star") would have played very few spot minutes on those teams. College basketball in general has been diluted since those days, but still when your star is a frosh that you can put in perspective like that, it means we don't have great talent

Reactions: channi
The biggest problem is that we don't have much talent. You could say we have depth, but honestly, there is no one on this team getting any serious minutes on the 92/93, 2002 teams. Those were great teams, no doubt, but that doesn't dismiss the fact that even TJD (our "star") would have played very few spot minutes on those teams. College basketball in general has been diluted since those days, but still when your star is a frosh that you can put in perspective like that, it means we don't have great talent

Timeout! Someone's letting their fond memories of the past, get the better of their senses. TJD would have gotten plenty of minutes on either of those teams. Plenty! If he continues he might've even taken Nover's starting spot, but at the very least that would have been a much improved frontcourt rotation. And, my memory sucks for such things, but wasn't that the year Henderson got injured? Talk about a team that could have used TJD! This team has been frustrating.... with the glaring exception of TJD, who has been fantastic. He would have gotten minutes on any IU roster, even the great ones, imo.

Timeout! Someone's letting their fond memories of the past, get the better of their senses. TJD would have gotten plenty of minutes on either of those teams. Plenty! If he continues he might've even taken Nover's starting spot, but at the very least that would have been a much improved frontcourt rotation. And, my memory sucks for such things, but wasn't that the year Henderson got injured? Talk about a team that could have used TJD! This team has been frustrating.... with the glaring exception of TJD, who has been fantastic. He would have gotten minutes on any IU roster, even the great ones, imo.
Freshman TJD is IU's best player on the current roster.

Just from descriptions on here, Furst seems to be this type of more aggressive player I'm talking about, which is what has appealed to me about him. Some of the descriptions I've heard on Galloway, also seem to indicate he might be also, but then I also heard that Todd Leary said he was not a very aggressive player and not to expect that, which confused me based on most other descriptions. Didn't MSU recruit him? That to me is a good sign!
I don't spend much time on personality type stuff in high school kids, because the stuff is so easily manipulated in the media. Bud Mackey was a great kid, supposedly, right up until he got arrested.

I am content to wait and see and be surprised, as I was with Franklin.

Try watching a post game presser. It’s not like Miller is unaware of the issue. Alan Henderson gave a great half time speech as well about supporting the players and coaches.
We just punched OSU in the mouth. Brunk shut down Caleb Wesson and they would of put about 70 on one of the best defensive teams in the country if they could of hit free throws. Green coming off the bench is gonna be a trademark move by Miller. He recognized it and fixed it.
Every team in the Big is struggling against each other. We are no exception yet still in great position to make a run if they continue to grow and build chemistry just like every other team in the country. Peak towards the end of the season is always the goal. Long ways to go and I’d imagine it will be a bumpy ride but no reason to count them out or their will to fight.
Just recall the team that quit when Sampson was replaced by jock itch. That was a team that quit. I don’t see anything remotely like that with this team. They are hungry.
Haha Dakich=Jock itch. Now that’s funny.

I know Green (as always) was the big story on Saturday. While Green was good, we MIGHT have won the game without him. IMO, there's no way we win it without Phinisee.

Also, I'm surprised no one is talking about Hunter's play on Saturday. I thought he showed more aggressiveness & confidence then he has all year.

Our effort vs. osu was great! honestly, and i know i will get ripped for this, but i think that cupcake schedule was a real detriment to the team. the teams we played were so God awful that we could win playing at 80 percent.
Maybe but nobody knew what this team would look like from the beginning. Lots of new guys and it kept them from a potential horrible start to the season. It also sux that Green and Phin didn't play much during that time. Once the schedule hit the real teams they were still getting back from injuries. Anyway, hopefully they won't start off with a month of cupcakes very often.

Our effort vs. osu was great! honestly, and i know i will get ripped for this, but i think that cupcake schedule was a real detriment to the team. the teams we played were so God awful that we could win playing at 80 percent. if you start to do that game after game you become conditioned to play at that speed/effort. i played on a top 20 D1 team in a different sport. the conference we played in was horrible. every time we got to the ncaa tournament it was an absolute shock because of the increase in speed after playing our lousy conference schedule. my hope is the effort we saw against osu will begin to be the norm as the kids realize they have to step it up to compete in the big ten.
I have a different take on the early schedule. As others have pointed out, IU had a number of starters out. 2 out of 5 were injured. So they were playing at 60% and starting subs. A couple on the team were freshmen and a couple of others just needed court time. Archie Miller needed to see them in action and used the games as scrimmages.

Your point that the players could get used to that level of play has validity, I think. Especially if the team is seasoned. This team wasn't.

I see improvement, generally, from game to game. I also see that CAM has had some time to develop those on the bench. It still is early to evaluate this season one way or another. But those preconference games do need to provide more challenges...as the team gets more high basketball IQ Juniors and Seniors that play tough.

Reactions: MrBing
Also, I'm surprised no one is talking about Hunter's play on Saturday. I thought he showed more aggressiveness & confidence then he has all year.
Archie said Hunter played his best collegiate game. Which isn't saying much, but it's a sign of progress and improvement. He wasn't lost on the court, contributed defensively, and wasn't a liability on offense. Time will tell if he is able to contribute significantly this season.

I know Green (as always) was the big story on Saturday. While Green was good, we MIGHT have won the game without him. IMO, there's no way we win it without Phinisee.

I like Hunter’s attitude. Looks like he is having fun and is fully involved in the game and his teammates. He may have turned a corner on Saturday.

Archie said Hunter played his best collegiate game. Which isn't saying much, but it's a sign of progress and improvement. He wasn't lost on the court, contributed defensively, and wasn't a liability on offense. Time will tell if he is able to contribute significantly this season.

I was surprised he didn't have more 'numbers', but to me he looked like he was 'feeling his oats' out there....like he came to play. I think once he feels up to competing inside he'll start hitting some 3s....

Funny you get so bent up over a “childish attack” even though you are at the same time complaining about players from our team.

Reactions: kkott

It's quite simple Butler is a better team and the idiot sportswriters put them on their arbitrary list.

Beyond that, WGAFF ..

BbsDWlMCEAEn5v2.jpg

Butler is a good team. But they haven’t played a great schedule either. In fact IU two top wins easily beat Butlers. IU is underrated IMO, but really, who cares about rankings right now?

IU effort was huge in the OSU win. No need to come here and dog all our players. Why don’t you go root for Butler?

I think that Louisville team believed we were a bit soft and could be intimidated, and that showed them this wasn't the case. I remember being surprised when Calbert did that. I think more recently Arkansas thought the same thing... and I think it's a large part of how they got a win.

Correct. It was against Dwayne Morton. But the face to face encounter occurred after Calbert had a sensational block of Morton meeting him above the front of the rim.

The ref called a bad foul on CC as he clearly had all ball. But I loved CC’s intensity.

Butler is a good team. But they haven’t played a great schedule either. In fact IU two top wins easily beat Butlers. IU is underrated IMO, but really, who cares about rankings right now?

IU effort was huge in the OSU win. No need to come here and dog all our players. Why don’t you go root for Butler?
Butler has had a great schedule. They’re 4-1 vs Q1 and 5-0 vs Q2, better than IU’s 2-3 and 2-0. They’re 1 loss is to number 2 Baylor by 1 at Baylor.

It seems to me we miss the days of 4yr players not because of their talent in yr 4 but because of their leadership to the younger players. Juwan and yogis come to mind but dont think DD or DG are in that mode. Think Brunk would've definitely been one and still might be in this team next yr to give insight as to how to handle the ups and downs of playing on the road in the BIG

It seems to me we miss the days of 4yr players not because of their talent in yr 4 but because of their leadership to the younger players. Juwan and yogis come to mind but dont think DD or DG are in that mode. Think Brunk would've definitely been one and still might be in this team next yr to give insight as to how to handle the ups and downs of playing on the road in the BIG
Morgan was a really good college player but he wasn't much of a leader. Yogi was, though, which you'd expect from a PG.

It is a serious question/observance, just not worded the best. It is amazing to me how Butler can continuously turn out a better team than IU the past 10 years (2 National Runner-ups, one sweet sixteen) with far less resources. Their facilities are not close to IUs, IU has storied history & we get these high priced coaches. Currently we have the 10th highest paid coach in college basketball. Not saying that should translate into instant championships or take us deep into the tournament (or just in it)....or maybe it should.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT