ADVERTISEMENT

Educated guess on the current situation

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Since we haven’t announced the hire yet, we’re likely still planning/hoping to either land or at least seriously consider someone that is currently still coaching. I won’t mention NBA guys...there aren’t any realistic candidates in that world right now. So that means, to me, we’re still looking at one or more from the following:

Drew
Musselman
Oats
Altman
Moser

If our guy ends up. It being from that list, then I’m taking it to mean we don’t have our guy decided yet. So...no one not on the list above is at the top of our list right now.

Getting the right guy is more important than roster makeup for this upcoming season. But, if our main candidate or candidates arent on the list above... it’s getting close to time to pull the dang trigger.

With guys like Marcus Carr, Powell, the big from UNC, etc...now on the market. It sure would be nice to be able to pitch guys like that.

Since we haven’t announced the hire yet, we’re likely still planning/hoping to either land or at least seriously consider someone that is currently still coaching. I won’t mention NBA guys...there aren’t any realistic candidates in that world right now. So that means, to me, we’re still looking at one or more from the following:

Drew
Musselman
Oats
Altman
Moser

If our guy ends up. It being from that list, then I’m taking it to mean we don’t have our guy decided yet. So...no one not on the list above is at the top of our list right now.

Getting the right guy is more important than roster makeup for this upcoming season. But, if our main candidate or candidates arent on the list above... it’s getting close to time to pull the dang trigger.

With guys like Marcus Carr, Powell, the big from UNC, etc...now on the market. It sure would be nice to be able to pitch guys like that.
I will grant you this- the longer the coaching saga drags out, the later IU arrives to the transfer party, and the more likely that the new coach goes into yr one with a weaker lineup. Will also be very interesting to see what current players (esp TJD, Race) do after new coach is announced. To say next season looks a bit cloudy right now would be an understatement.

I don't honestly care if we're competitive next year, at best, we'd probably be about what we were. It's more important to take the time and get the right hire.

Reactions: JIMSHAM
I don't honestly care if we're competitive next year, at best, we'd probably be about what we were. It's more important to take the time and get the right hire.
Correct the hell with next year...we need a long term fix with the right guy!!!!!

Correct the hell with next year...we need a long term fix with the right guy!!!!!
Exactly. No matter who the new coach winds up being, I've already decided the 2021-22 season will be a wash. I'd rather Dolson get the right guy to set the program up to be competitive in 2022-23 and beyond.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Exactly. No matter who the new coach winds up being, I've already decided the 2021-22 season will be a wash. I'd rather Dolson get the right guy to set the program up to be competitive in 2022-23 and beyond.
Next year we make the tourney if TJD comes back

Next year we make the tourney if TJD comes back
If Jackson-Davis returns and the new coach can unleash the shooting potential in Khristian Lander, Anthony Leal, Jordan Geronimo and Rob Phinisee, then making the tournament will be a realistic possibility.

I will grant you this- the longer the coaching saga drags out, the later IU arrives to the transfer party, and the more likely that the new coach goes into yr one with a weaker lineup. Will also be very interesting to see what current players (esp TJD, Race) do after new coach is announced. To say next season looks a bit cloudy right now would be an understatement.
With the right hire it won’t matter. The recruiting power of IU will help a good coach overcome quickly.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
agree--get the "right" guy--but do it as quickly as possible

I think, at the very latest, you might wait through the regional round if you are targeting a remaining coach. Have to pull the trigger before the FF.

in theory...yes...But I heard that same line 4 yrs ago. And yet, here we are.
I think part of that was due to AM's lack of personality and his bad start. He started off big time with a culture of losing, made serious recruiting mistakes in keeping Crean recruits and picking poorly himself. If he had not made those poor choices, which granted, were probably made with the idea not to completely suck, he might still be here

I think part of that was due to AM's lack of personality and his bad start. He started off big time with a culture of losing, made serious recruiting mistakes in keeping Crean recruits and picking poorly himself. If he had not made those poor choices, which granted, were probably made with the idea not to completely suck, he might still be here
CAM never looked comfortable here. Or happy to be here. Never.

I tend to think CAMs first mistake was the assistant coaching staff he assembled.

I tend to think CAMs first mistake was the assistant coaching staff he assembled.

Not sure I'd agree with that.

Ostrom had been with Archie at Dayton and was on Florida's staff the year they went back to back. He might have been the biggest reach as this should have possibly gone to an Indiana guy, but can't deny his acumen.

Schilling was a strong recruiter from Indiana with heavy ties to the local AAU and high school programs.

Bruiser had several years experience as a HC, currently working on Calipari's staff...again

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT