ADVERTISEMENT

Early thoughts on the team

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
It is early, so take it with a grain of salt. Just some discussion.

Fitzner - he is better than advertised/expected. Some of you may have predicted it. I see a guy who will be valuable all year on offense and defense. He was really active, intuitive, has a good stroke, and has good positioning in close on defense. I don't know that he will be in double figures all year, but it appears that he may indeed be as good or better than Beilfelt was for the Hoosiers in '16.

McRoberts - much improved. He is now comfortable as a leader and he isn't hesitating to knock down open looks. Really really going to help if he can continue defending at a high level.

Team defense - better than November/December last year. They are better on the ball and getting out on shooters so far. The rebounding will need to get better and I am still hoping Davis can get back to form in time to guard the beasts in the paint, but so far, they are buying in and playing hard. They will improve.

Team offense - I think they are more comfortable playing the attacking offense than last season. It certainly suits the new personnel. Last year I thought Johnson really had to relearn how to get himself open with the ball in his hands. This year, baseline, back door cuts, and give and goes are all going to be utility/the norm. The key will be knocking down shots at the charity stripe. It is a really big deal. They have to get better there.

Freshmen - I was pleasantly surprised with how Anderson did in terms of not forcing too much on offense. Several times he has made the easy pass instead of taking the shot, and other times he has launched at a trigger's notice. Good to see he can come in and help. Jake is right where I expected. Phinisee is too- he is good. Race looks to be a likely candidate to play some post defense that IU will sorely need. I see no problems with any of the forwards blending together.

Morgan - He is going to keep this team on track and that is what is needed.

Durham and Green - both look much better/stronger physically. I think Durham is growing comfortable and will really help as a ball handler who can drive and occasionally get a decent 3. Green has the right mind set- he is aware of what he needs to do. Doing it is easier said than done, but at least he is no joke to guard. Other teams will be worried about him.

Romeo - so far so good. I like that steal he does wrapping his arm around the outside on the wing guard. He seems like a rhythm scorer and IU may need to make sure the offense goes through him a lot to keep him going. By all accounts he can carry the burden of no.1 scorer. He will need to improve his explossiveness for the pros, but for now, I just want to see him really run his defenders around a bit more, hit the freebees, and pick up his outside shooting off of movement without the ball.

Archie - the double double screen play that ends in an in bounds oop to Smith? Brilliant! Also, I see lots of good signs already, from the ball movement to the on ball defense, to the recruiting strategy to the team chemistry and use of senior leaders. He is doing well so far.

I can't wait to see Hunter and his exceptional left-handed finishes on the fly.

Best line up based on what we've seen thus far? Morgan, Smith, Romeo, Fitzner, Phinisee.

McRoberts, Green, Durham, Race, De'Ron, Hunter and Anderson are all going to play some. And there is no harm in putting Forester or Moore in for a couple minutes if needed. Very deep team.

Hoping you are right, TR32. We won't know until they start playing better teams and over time.

Excited about the freshman with the understanding they are just freshman - mistakes will be made. More concerned about the interior defense.

How will DD and Fitz respond to legit bigs? At this point, I don't think you can slip a piece of paper under either of them when they jump. Does that force Morgan to again be the low post defense against the opponents best big? Moore and Forrester may be part of the answer down the road, but not today. What can Race do when healthy?

Lots of questions still hanging out there.

The key this year will be chemistry and playing time to keep everyone happy. We suddenly have loads of talent. It is refreshing to see an actual inbounds play other than waiting to the 4 count and then heaving it over the half court line. And no driving the baseline at a 45 degree angle then jumping in the air, heading out of bounds to attempt a pass. Forgot how much I missed simple, fundamental ball.
Fitz will be huge for this team. And as much as I've doubted McRob's talent level, he started to turn me the other night. Hustle plays and all are great, but we can't win playing offense 4 on 5. When he stepped up early and hit that 3 when his defender sagged off, I cheered out loud for the kid. Forcing his guy to play him honest defense on the perimeter opens up the offense and with the other talent upgrades, we are a dangerous team.

It will come down to chemistry, defense (especially the young players) and making free throws. If this team can average 70% at the line this year they have the talent to win 25 games or more. IMHO.

Fitzner - he is better than advertised/expected. Some of you may have predicted it. I see a guy who will be valuable all year on offense and defense. He was really active, intuitive, has a good stroke, and has good positioning in close on defense. I don't know that he will be in double figures all year, but it appears that he may indeed be as good or better than Beilfelt was for the Hoosiers in '16.

McRoberts - much improved. He is now comfortable as a leader and he isn't hesitating to knock down open looks. Really really going to help if he can continue defending at a high level.

Team defense - better than November/December last year. They are better on the ball and getting out on shooters so far. The rebounding will need to get better and I am still hoping Davis can get back to form in time to guard the beasts in the paint, but so far, they are buying in and playing hard. They will improve.

Team offense - I think they are more comfortable playing the attacking offense than last season. It certainly suits the new personnel. Last year I thought Johnson really had to relearn how to get himself open with the ball in his hands. This year, baseline, back door cuts, and give and goes are all going to be utility/the norm. The key will be knocking down shots at the charity stripe. It is a really big deal. They have to get better there.

Freshmen - I was pleasantly surprised with how Anderson did in terms of not forcing too much on offense. Several times he has made the easy pass instead of taking the shot, and other times he has launched at a trigger's notice. Good to see he can come in and help. Jake is right where I expected. Phinisee is too- he is good. Race looks to be a likely candidate to play some post defense that IU will sorely need. I see no problems with any of the forwards blending together.

Durham and Green - both look much better/stronger physically. I think Durham is growing comfortable and will really help as a ball handler who can drive and occasionally get a decent 3. Green has the right mind set- he is aware of what he needs to do. Doing it is easier said than done, but at least he is no joke to guard. Other teams will be worried about him.

Romeo - so far so good. I like that steal he does wrapping his arm around the outside on the wing guard. He seems like a rhythm scorer and IU may need to make sure the offense goes through him a lot to keep him going. By all accounts he can carry the burden of no.1 scorer. He will need to improve his explossiveness for the pros, but for now, I just want to see him really run his defenders around a bit more, hit the freebees, and pick up his outside shooting off of movement without the ball.

Archie - the double double screen play that ends in an in bounds oop to Smith? Brilliant! Also, I see lots of good signs already, from the ball movement to the on ball defense, to the recruiting strategy to the team chemistry and use of senior leaders. He is doing well so far.

Best line up based on what we've seen thus far? Morgan, Smith, Romeo, Fitzner, Phinisee.

McRoberts, Green, Durham, Race, De'Ron, Hunter and Anderson are all going to play some. And there is no harm in putting Forester or Moore in for a couple minutes if needed. Very deep team.

I wasn't all that thrilled with the defense, after reading about the Loyola scrimmage. I'm hoping to see more effort on that end when we step up in the level of competition.

I agree with you about Anderson. I was concerned he would play out-of-control, but so far so good. I'd like to see him take the ball to the basket.....I hope he develops that over the next year or so......otherwise they'll clamp down on him at the 3 point line.

Reactions: kausrical
Romeo, Fitzner, Anderson, McRoberts, Phinesee, Hunter, Devonte can shoot the 3. A majority of them are newcomers to the team as Archie has greatly improved the talent level and perimeter shooting.

it all sounds good and I like the mix, it just seems like 6'6 and even 6'7 4's and 5's will be tested in BIG play ..we will be strong in AA.. road trips in the BIG are brutal with young players.. they will hit the wall so let's temper expectations

Imo..
We'll know a bunch more after Marquette. .
20 - 40 pt wins tell me nothing.
They're won't be one if any conference games like these.

Bump

Interesting I missed these observations in the post.

1. Romeo will put up the worst volume shooting #'s in the school's history and by a wide margin. He won't offset the loss of Robert Johnson much with his unbelievable talent offensively, but he'll be much worse defensively that Johnson ended up. That will be one of the bricks that will destroy the locker room in Romeo's one season.

2. Rob will suffer a concussion halfway through the season and when he comes back will play worse than Devonte Green statistically...and our fans will probably blame Green.

3. McRoberts will have an injury plagued season with back problems which will render him useless and eventually be shut down for the season.

4. Davis will battle injuries yet again and not be able to give us even ten minutes a game. Eventually being shut down.

5. High potential freshman Hunter and Thompson will miss the entire season with injury.

6. Morgan will play his ass off as expected but eventually wear down from having no help other than Romeo every third or fourth game.

Archie gets an F this year. He does. Because he lost the locker room.

It happens to all coaches.

Even Coach Cal lost his Noel team. Knight lost several teams in the 90's. Painter lost his Tyrone and Ronnie J teams. Dakich lost Sampson's team. Crean lost multiple teams.

But it can only happen once a decade in my book.

This qualifies as the best post of the year below. Fitzner stroking it from deep!!

Romeo, Fitzner, Anderson, McRoberts, Phinesee, Hunter, Devonte can shoot the 3. A majority of them are newcomers to the team as Archie has greatly improved the talent level and perimeter shooting.
Greatly improved from three?

Well, I was completely wrong on what I saw of Fitzner but I was more sceptical of him before he went off for 18pts. My comment at that point was wondering whether he would be able to guard the post. Trusting instincts may be a good thing.

I own what I say and I'm fine with some criticism. The defense was pretty decent for a while, and could yet be good this year in any given game with more effort and belief in the team. We could discuss each player but I'll just say I was right on some and wrong on some.

One comment to you personally is , do not lump me in with "Crean apologists". I never was one, not from day one. I see some good things with Archie and I believe he still has a shot to get things going.

This qualifies as the best post of the year below. Fitzner stroking it from deep!!

That's my comment.

Fitzner was 5 of 6, 3 of 4, and 6 of 7 in his first three games this year. If that doesn't qualify as better than advertised I don't know what does. He still has good positioning off the ball, but he doesn't go hard and has struggled with both catching and shooting. He also has not been very good on the boards and is slow when trying to defend the drive or to hedge on screens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT