ADVERTISEMENT

E. Jean Carroll and Bill Barr

Attorneys help me out here: How does the US DOJ get to act as private counsel for rump for an alledged action that happened prior to him taking office?
I think due to some of the comments he has made about her since being in office. This is a wild stretch.

Sad how far Barr will go to protect Trump. Scary times. I can't imagine 4 more years of this.

Attorneys help me out here: How does the US DOJ get to act as private counsel for rump for an alledged action that happened prior to him taking office?
IANAL (@Sope Creek) but she is suing him for slander defamation which he did while in office. She's not suing him for the assault itself. It's still a ridiculous reach for Barr to take over Trump's defense on the grounds that Trump was acting in the capacity of President when he called her a liar. Trump got tired of writing checks so Barr is taking care of that for him.

Last edited:
Defense is that Trump said the thing complained of in his role as President and therefore those statements are immune from challenges. But to make that assertion he really needs to be represented by the AG’s office. It’s an absurd defense but they gotta go all in to assert that defense.

Defense is that Trump said the thing complained of in his role as President and therefore those statements are immune from challenges. But to make that assertion he really needs to be represented by the AG’s office. It’s an absurd defense but they gotta go all in to assert that defense.
It probably will never fly in court but will delay the discovery until after the election. Trump is a master at delaying tactics.

So I'm thinking Kasowitz told Donald they were screwed, that they couldn't stop discovery and since the lawsuit was in state court he couldn't just order Barr to make it go away. I then suspect that Kasowitz proposed this gambit as a Hail Mary that would move the suit into federal court and if nothing else delay things until after the election before it was laughed out of court.

Trump then made the call to Barr and told him to make it happen. Barr, of course, took the knee, genuflected, and made the filing.

Reactions: Bill4411
Looks like Donald's going to have to defend this suit on his own dime:

A federal judge has denied the Justice Department's attempt to intervene on President Trump's behalf in a defamation lawsuit filed by a woman who alleges he sexually assaulted her in the mid-1990s.

In her memoir published last year, writer E. Jean Carroll accused the president of raping her in the dressing room of a Manhattan department store more than two decades ago.

Trump denied the allegations and accused her of lying to sell books.

So I'm thinking Kasowitz told Donald they were screwed, that they couldn't stop discovery and since the lawsuit was in state court he couldn't just order Barr to make it go away. I then suspect that Kasowitz proposed this gambit as a Hail Mary that would move the suit into federal court and if nothing else delay things until after the election before it was laughed out of court.
I was half right. It was laughed out of court before election day. But still, there's no way they'll be able to collect his DNA and make a comparison any time soon. He'll probably be able to blow it off until he's out of office.

Reactions: Bill4411
I was half right. It was laughed out of court before election day. But still, there's no way they'll be able to collect his DNA and make a comparison any time soon. He'll probably be able to blow it off until he's out of office.
Still, everyone who votes for him knows he’s a rapist.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT