ADVERTISEMENT

Durr to IU!

We need to stop being so obsessed with Purdue. Time to focus on bigger and better things... we now have more talent and better coaching that PU.

We’re going to finish ahead of them in the standings and go on a run of beating them multiple times in a row.
Purdue has been that bigger and better thing . . . we’re focusing on them for a reason.

I’m aware your team has a 7’3” guy. I’m also aware that you don’t need someone that size to stop him or be able to win against Purdue.
You claimed only starters matter yet you didn’t realize you had a 8-3 guy on your team? We know you’re a Purdue troll, but you can do better (even if your lack of basketball knowledge is really on full display here). Even you should be a little better. You really didn’t know about Edey?

Lol at listing the school height for Trevion. They wouldn’t exaggerate at all.

Trevion and Edey combined for 48 points in the two games this year. TJD and Race combined for 54.

OSU also starts 6’8” and 6’6” on the front line. You don’t need huge guys to win in college basketball.
So, PU fudges on their stats, but we don't? You at least need competitive size... and an advantage somewhere. We've struggled on the perimeter, not just versus PU but versus everyone, so if inside is a wash, when that's where our best player is, we lose. I don't want to count on a freshman, so we needed more post depth. No idea what kind of player Durr will be, but looking at our roster and how players projected, that was the biggest remaining weakness so I'm glad to see our coaches address it.

Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
You aren’t aware they have a contributor who is well over 7 feet?
There wasn't anyone in the portal that IU was going to bring on that could match Edey's size. Durr is a much better match-up defensively for someone like Edey (and Williams) as Durr has limited offensive range and not much versatility. IU is going to beat Purdue with aggressive and physical guard play, something that has been non-existent the last 5 or 6 meetings. Luckily that was addressed before Durr rounded out the roster.

tenor.gif

There wasn't anyone in the portal that IU was going to bring on that could match Edey's size. Durr is a much better match-up defensively for someone like Edey (and Williams) as Durr has limited offensive range and not much versatility. IU is going to beat Purdue with aggressive and physical guard play, something that has been non-existent the last 5 or 6 meetings. Luckily that was addressed before Durr rounded out the roster.
Yes, Purdue has really beaten us everywhere on the floor. I’m not at all sure we’ve addressed it (and doubt we could’ve done so as quickly as you believe, anyway), but it will largely be a different team this coming season, and a different one yet again on 2022-23. Transitions take time, as do culture changes and program builds. We have lots of ground to cover over the next few seasons.

Meh, what do they have to show for it? One Elite 8 on the last 15-20 years? Big deal... so does South Carolina.
Well, South Carolina isn’t our in-state and conference rival who’s been wiping their feet on our face over the last five or six seasons, and who is now positioned to be pretty good over the next few seasons. South Carolina also has turned the tide on us in recruiting in our state, either. Other than that . . .

You claimed only starters matter yet you didn’t realize you had a 8-3 guy on your team? We know you’re a Purdue troll, but you can do better (even if your lack of basketball knowledge is really on full display here). Even you should be a little better. You really didn’t know about Edey?
No team has a player that is 8’3”, dimwit.

IU doesn’t need a player 7’+ to be successful. Your trolling is weak, Ordy.

No team has a player that is 8’3”, dimwit.

IU doesn’t need a player 7’+ to be successful. Your trolling is weak, Ordy.
Yeah, it was 7-3, but you didn’t even know he was on the team. We all know you’re a troll, and you’ve admitted you don’t know IU basketball. You really don’t belong here.

Yes, Purdue has really beaten us everywhere on the floor. I’m not at all sure we’ve addressed it (and doubt we could’ve done so as quickly as you believe, anyway), but it will largely be a different team this coming season, and a different one yet again on 2022-23. Transitions take time, as do culture changes and program builds. We have lots of ground to cover over the next few seasons.
Xavier Johnson and Parker Stewart are physical, aggressive-minded guards, something IU hasn't had in some time. How well it translates is TBD, but its definitely been addressed.

A heathy Brunk back for his third year in the program versus a kid who didn’t exactly light it up at a lower tiered program? No knock on Durr, but the hype machine is red lining.
I think the world of Brunk, but he was extremely limited offensively and was not a rim protector.

Brunk had problems finishing at the rim.

Purdue starts 6’8” and 6’6” on their front line. They haven’t started a 7’+ player against us since Isaac Haas. But don’t let facts get in the way of your narrative.
What are you talking about? Do I need to remind you of the game at Assembly where Haarms won them the game at the end because we didn't have anyone he couldn't rebound over? You telling me Trevion is 6'8"? How about Edey basically handing us our asses last year because we had nobody to bang with him?

Look, I wholeheartedly agree that the backcourt is the root cause of our failure over the past several years...but if you don't think the lack of size hasn't cost us at times, I totally disagree.

Xavier Johnson and Parker Stewart are physical, aggressive-minded guards, something IU hasn't had in some time. How well it translates is TBD, but its definitely been addressed.
You have no idea whether it’s been addressed until we see them play. Until then, it’s hype masquerading as basketball knowledge. We’ve been addressing things since the mid 90’s, with extremely mediocre results.

You have no idea whether it’s been addressed until we see them play. Until then, it’s hype masquerading as basketball knowledge. We’ve been addressing things since the mid 90’s, with extremely mediocre results.
*We have no idea how it translates.

There's actual film on Stewart and Xavier Johnson. To say they aren't physical, aggressive-minded guards is downright disingenuous. But that's your MO on here, so what's new?

What are you talking about? Do I need to remind you of the game at Assembly where Haarms won them the game at the end because we didn't have anyone he couldn't rebound over? You telling me Trevion is 6'8"? How about Edey basically handing us our asses last year because we had nobody to bang with him?

Look, I wholeheartedly agree that the backcourt is the root cause of our failure over the past several years...but if you don't think the lack of size hasn't cost us at times, I totally disagree.
We’ve made Haas, Haarms, Williams, Wheeler, and Edey look like world beaters. Size against them has cost us dearly.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
*We have no idea how it translates.

There's actual film on Stewart and Xavier Johnson. To say they aren't physical, aggressive-minded guards is downright disingenuous. But that's your MO on here, so what's new?
I didn’t say they weren’t physical, only that you have no idea whether it’s been addressed. I understand that hype has replaced hoops knowledge here, and you’re reliant on that, but you were all in on last year‘s team, too, and likely the ones before that. You were also someone who couldn’t see the rather obvious shortcomings in Miller, so . . .

I didn’t say they weren’t physical, only that you have no idea whether it’s been addressed. I understand that hype has replaced hoops knowledge, but you were all in on last year‘s team, too, and likely the ones before that. You were also someone who couldn’t see the rather obvious shortcomings in Miller, so . . .
Bringing in two physical and aggressive-minded guards isn't addressing the issue? Did you eat your crack this morning?

Bringing in two physical and aggressive-minded guards isn't addressing the issue? Did you eat your crack this morning?
Who’ve never played a second together and are largely unproven. Again, you rely on hype, not hoops knowledge, so I understand your perspective. But you’ve likely always believed we addressed our needs and then been shocked at the less than stellar results.

The Haarms play was a fluke. It’s not like he was some great rebounder. If Morgan blocks him out instead of going for the ball, that game goes to another overtime.

Yes Trevion Williams is 6’8”.

Edey put 20 on us in the last game of the Big Ten season when the team had given up. HE HAD ZERO POINTS IN THE FIRST GAME WE PLAYED.

We will have to agree to disagree on needing that sort of size. Nothing wrong with playing 6’9” or 6’10” guys at the 5. Not many teams play guys that are 7’+ tall. If that was the key to winning in college basketball, everyone would be getting those guys.

Reactions: Seyton
Who’ve never played a second together and are largely unproven. Again, you rely on hype, not hoops knowledge, so I understand your perspective. But you’ve likely always believed we addressed our needs and then been shocked at the less than stellar results.
Xavier Johnson is largely unproven? On what planet?

A heathy Brunk back for his third year in the program versus a kid who didn’t exactly light it up at a lower tiered program? No knock on Durr, but the hype machine is red lining.
Thx for the reply. I hope Brunk is healthy and plays this year. The best way to compare.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
Xavier Johnson is largely unproven? On what planet?
You’re right . . . He’s a career 40% shooter from 2 and just over 30% from 3. I should’ve qualified it to say “largely unproven as a productive contributor at the college level”. On Planet Hype, that’s a game changer. On Planet Earth, the rest of us will tap the brakes just a bit.

The Haarms play was a fluke. It’s not like he was some great rebounder. If Morgan blocks him out instead of going for the ball, that game goes to another overtime.

Yes Trevion Williams is 6’8”.

Edey put 20 on us in the last game of the Big Ten season when the team had given up. HE HAD ZERO POINTS IN THE FIRST GAME WE PLAYED.

We will have to agree to disagree on needing that sort of size. Nothing wrong with playing 6’9” or 6’10” guys at the 5. Not many teams play guys that are 7’+ tall. If that was the key to winning in college basketball, everyone would be getting those guys.
There aren't that many guys who are Edey's height. He may be the tallest player in the history of the Big Ten at 7'4".

There aren't that many guys who are Edey's height. He may be the tallest player in the history of the Big Ten at 7'4".
That’s my point. Give me a skilled 6’9’-6’10” player (TJD) over a significantly less skilled 7’3” player every day of the weak. Durr will be by far the tallest guy in the team and likely get very few minutes.

True, but I'd rather be Baylor than North Texas. Baylor had 6'8, 6'9, 6'9, 6'10, and 7'0 on their roster last year. There is no law saying you can't pursue certain advantages.
The 7’ guy played in only 13 games and only an average of 4 minutes. The rest are about the same size we had last year.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
The 7’ guy played in only 13 games and only an average of 4 minutes. The rest are about the same size we had last year.
We had 6'9 and 6'8 last year and no shooting. How about some size and some shooting this year? This is what the coaching staff is putting together.

Baylor was not a short team last year: size still matters. Admittedly, I know nothing about their 7 footer, but they did have people with size that contributed.

I like the pick-up a lot. That said, I don't understand it from the kid's point of view. He was getting 25 mpg at USF last year. At IU, it looks more like 10-15, and maybe closer to the 10.

Woodson is impressing as a recruiter..............and I like the amount of turn-over when you're talking about an underachieving team...

In: Durr, Kopp, Johnson, Stewart, Bates
Out: Brunk, Hunter, Franklin, Durham

Durr v. Brunk: Would be pick 'em, but Joey has big durability issues.
Kopp v. Hunter: Pick 'em
Bates v. Franklin: I liked Franklin, But Bates is a borderline 5* talent with a Franklin-like attitude.
Stewart v. Durham: Advantage Stewart. Better shooter, better ball-handler.
Johnson: Even if Rob goes the portal route, it would be advantage Johnson.
Good post. I think it's Woody. I think the kids want to prep for the NBA. Woody has taken two different franchises in the NBA from the basement to the playoffs. Kids want the NBA. Woody has the formula. I think it's a big deal. Go Hoosiers!

True, but I'd rather be Baylor than North Texas. Baylor had 6'8, 6'9, 6'9, 6'10, and 7'0 on their roster last year. There is no law saying you can't pursue certain advantages.
Baylor had 4 post players of those only 2 played minutes and they platooned at the 5, with the starter getting 15 minutes, The rest of the lineup was generally 6'5 and under, except when Mayer came in at 4 but he wasn't a post.

You counted a 6'8 180 player in your total ... lol.

We had 6'9 and 6'8 last year and no shooting. How about some size and some shooting this year? This is what the coaching staff is putting together.

Baylor was not a short team last year: size still matters. Admittedly, I know nothing about their 7 footer, but they did have people with size that contributed.
You should probably do some more research on who contributed on their team. They went small ball the majority of the time.

I don’t think you are going to see Durr or Duncomb getting big minutes next year.

Baylor had 4 post players of those only 2 played minutes and they platooned at the 5, with the starter getting 15 minutes, The rest of the lineup was generally 6'5 and under, except when Mayer came in at 4 but he wasn't a post.

You counted a 6'8 180 player in your total ... lol.
He clearly doesn’t know much about their team lol

Why are there so many posts about fn PU on here? Who gives af about them? You all wanna bitch about them always talking about us, but you’re kinda starting to act like them. PU isn’t on the same level as IU and never fn will be. Idc if we lose 100 games in a row and they win 3 nattys in the same timeframe. They’ll still be PU and we’ll be IU. Nobody outside the Midwest even knows where PU is. So please stop talking about em..it’s embarrassing.

Reactions: ThreeToMakeTwo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT