ADVERTISEMENT

Durr to IU!

I’m not here to get in a pissing match. Many here have criticized other schools for similar practices that Iu now employs. That’s a fact.
Who? Where? When?

I've read far more posts about Archie's inability to utilize the transfer market to upgrade his roster over the years than criticize it. Nothing you've said is a fact. Just another reason for you to get into a pissing match.

You guys are missing the point with all this size talk. We haven't had good players - period. First (finally?) get good players then decide if you need bigger good players.

Durr will only matter if he's good. Or serviceable. My feeling is that I would rather have passed in hopes of a more talented player, but whatever. Let's roll.

(and don't Bloom me about stars. IU leads the league in getting useless four and five star players)
or you could skip a step and try and just get good bigger players, like I'm hoping Durr is. I think from comments and actions, this staff recognizes they need to get guys who are more aggressive with more attitude. I'm going to assume they feel like Durr is one of those guys, or they can get that out of him. I'm pretty sure they didn't say: "you know what we need is another big stiff now that Brunk is gone!"

It cracks me up that Trojan keeps pointing at Baylor as the model to emulate. Their smaller big guys would decimate our big guys, including TJD, who I think a lot of as a player, wouldn't you agree Trojan? So what, we should just stand pat until... when? This to me seems to be the recognition that we need some different attribute in post players than what we have, and yet you are for some reason critical of it? You honestly believe the roster as configured is fine on post players and could play with a Baylor type team's posts?

I disagree on Kopp vs. Hunter.

Kopp gives us much more consistency than Hunter ever could. The injury played a role in why Hunter was never the same and lost all his confidence.

I would have thought so too, based on the eye test. But looking at their #s, I see them as a wash--

Career, per every 40M played:

Kopp: .431 2 pt%, .360 3 pt%, .850 FTs, 4.3 rebs, 1.8 assists, .9 st, 1.9 T0s, 14.5 pts
Hunter: .495 2 pt%, .324 3 pt%, .644 FTs, 6.0 rebs, 1.0 assists, .9 st, 2.1 TOs, 12.8 pts

Hunter is the better rebounder and has a decided advantage on 2s.
Kopp's a little better on 3s, is better on FTs, and gets 1 more assist per game.
Both have been criticized by their fans for their D.

Not sure making something up helps your cause in the cause

I am not sure Earl intended to make anything up, what he did though, was employ a false equivalence between the new portal situation being used in IU's coaching/roster transitions and KY's OAD long-term business model. That was his error.

or you could skip a step and try and just get good bigger players, like I'm hoping Durr is. I think from comments and actions, this staff recognizes they need to get guys who are more aggressive with more attitude. I'm going to assume they feel like Durr is one of those guys, or they can get that out of him. I'm pretty sure they didn't say: "you know what we need is another big stiff now that Brunk is gone!"

It cracks me up that Trojan keeps pointing at Baylor as the model to emulate. Their smaller big guys would decimate our big guys, including TJD, who I think a lot of as a player, wouldn't you agree Trojan? So what, we should just stand pat until... when? This to me seems to be the recognition that we need some different attribute in post players than what we have, and yet you are for some reason critical of it? You honestly believe the roster as configured is fine on post players and could play with a Baylor type team's posts?
TJD would have easily been a starter for Baylor last year. He’s an All-American.

What exactly are your expectations for Durr? Please provide it so we can laugh at it later. He’s a warm body on the bench type player. He may get 10 mpg.

TJD would have easily been a starter for Baylor last year. He’s an All-American.

What exactly are your expectations for Durr? Please provide it so we can laugh at it later. He’s a warm body on the bench type player. He may get 10 mpg.
Yet he can’t score beyond five feet from the basket. His effectiveness with any solid team would change.

Yet he can’t score beyond five feet from the basket. His effectiveness with any solid team would change.
So he was an All-American while being limited to 5 feet and no right hand? He must be pretty damn good if he is so effective with those limitations.

Your boys Edey and Williams can’t score from outside of 5 feet either, yet you constantly talk about how great they are.

So he was an All-American while being limited to 5 feet and no right hand? He must be pretty damn good if he is so effective with those limitations.

Your boys Edey and Williams can’t score from outside of 5 feet either, yet you constantly talk about how great they are.
“Your boys”? I’m really in your head if you’re unable to even take a shot at discussing IU basketball, troll. ”He’s an All American” isn’t exactly an in depth description of his game, but it’s really all you’re capable of. Go back to the Purdue board, please.

“Your boys”? I’m really in your head if you’re unable to even take a shot at discussing IU basketball, troll. ”He’s an All American” isn’t exactly an in depth description of his game, but it’s really all you’re capable of. Go back to the Purdue board, please.
You lost your chance at a civil conversation with ANYONE on this board long ago (outside of your Purdue buddies).

TJD is a top 5 center in the country even at 6’9”. You can try to diminish his game all you want, but you just look foolish.

Lol at listing the school height for Trevion. They wouldn’t exaggerate at all.

Trevion and Edey combined for 48 points in the two games this year. TJD and Race combined for 54.

OSU also starts 6’8” and 6’6” on the front line. You don’t need huge guys to win in college basketball.
Whether Trevion is 6'8 or 6'10 is irrelevant. He has great size and long arms. He plays bigger than he is, if his height is 6'8.

Spot on. Good call.
It’s not spot on. Lol. Knight started getting multiple Juco players back in 85. It wasn’t a new concept for him. He just got the right two for that year. Matter of fact he got 3 in 85. Harris, Jadlow and Moore. I don’t remember anyone saying bad things about Smart or Garrett.

It’s not spot on. Lol. Knight started getting multiple Juco players back in 85. It wasn’t a new concept for him. He just got the right two for that year. Matter of fact he got 3 in 85. Harris, Jadlow and Moore. I don’t remember anyone saying bad things about Smart or Garrett.
He talked about needing to expand the recruiting footprint outside of Indiana and the 2 neighboring states and finding more of a certain type of player, which in this case was big guys. We were getting pounded down low and he was going to shore it up.

I’m not sure what you don’t understand. I’m fine with adding size. I don’t think adding a player strictly because they are tall is a good idea though. That’s what Tom Crean did with Jeremiah April and Tim Priller.

I would have had no issue had we added a player like Onu. He would have been more than just a warm body on the bench.
what a stupid concept. So you think anyone wants to add a tall stiff; least of all our staff? So what exactly are you saying: you think Durr is a stiff? Onu would have been great, but isn't his name still in the draft? From what I've seen of his highlights, I think it's unlikely he's withdrawing and will probably get drafted, but maybe it was a situation where he's an unknown whether we could land him versus needing to make a call now on Durr. He may not have the ceiling of Onu, but I think he'll definitely help next year. So basically you want to be able to sit back and say "I told you so" regardless of what happens, correct? If not, explain what you would like to see happen. And, your calling our new coaching staff ignorant or uninformed, since they saw it in their unfortunate wisdom to extend an offer to Durr, while TF say's he's a stiff?

PS, and Crean did not add TP because of his size. Ironically enough, he added him because of his shooting. He had visions of him being that big wing/step out 4, like the kid from Baylor. Unfortunately TC's imagination sometimes got the better of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1

Whether he'd start at Baylor is irrelevant since we're IU fans on an IU website. They're talking about IU playing a 4 out 1 in, and with TJD's limited range, it's unlikely he'd play alongside one of Baylor's bigs in that offense, it would have to be 1 or the other. Just like it's unlikely Durr will start. I think he'll back up TJD and or RT if we do play them together, as I expect we will some, and MD's presence allows that more freely. He gives us post depth and a bigger body to contend with bigger centers that TJD struggles with, as he has with Cockburn, T Williams and Edey at times. I'm elaborating more because you asked for my expectation for MD in another post... so you could laugh at them. I think probably he was sold on coming to IU as a backup this year with the possibility of earning a starting role or at least a significant uptick in minutes after next year with TJD and Race both moving on.

Reactions: 76-1
Whether he'd start at Baylor is irrelevant since we're IU fans on an IU website. They're talking about IU playing a 4 out 1 in, and with TJD's limited range, it's unlikely he'd play alongside one of Baylor's bigs in that offense, it would have to be 1 or the other. Just like it's unlikely Durr will start. I think he'll back up TJD and or RT if we do play them together, as I expect we will some, and MD's presence allows that more freely. He gives us post depth and a bigger body to contend with bigger centers that TJD struggles with, as he has with Cockburn, T Williams and Edey at times. I'm elaborating more because you asked for my expectation for MD in another post... so you could laugh at them. I think probably he was sold on coming to IU as a backup this year with the possibility of earning a starting role or at least a significant uptick in minutes after next year with TJD and Race both moving on.
I don’t think race and trace play together one minute until one or both develop a good outside shot. If a 4 can’t hit from outside he’s not playing in this offense unless at the 5. As it stands we have 3 at the 5.

what a stupid concept. So you think anyone wants to add a tall stiff; least of all our staff? So what exactly are you saying: you think Durr is a stiff? Onu would have been great, but isn't his name still in the draft? From what I've seen of his highlights, I think it's unlikely he's withdrawing and will probably get drafted, but maybe it was a situation where he's an unknown whether we could land him versus needing to make a call now on Durr. He may not have the ceiling of Onu, but I think he'll definitely help next year. So basically you want to be able to sit back and say "I told you so" regardless of what happens, correct? If not, explain what you would like to see happen. And, your calling our new coaching staff ignorant or uninformed, since they saw it in their unfortunate wisdom to extend an offer to Durr, while TF say's he's a stiff?

PS, and Crean did not add TP because of his size. Ironically enough, he added him because of his shooting. He had visions of him being that big wing/step out 4, like the kid from Baylor. Unfortunately TC's imagination sometimes got the better of him.
Still waiting on your prediction for Durr, Big Guy. He’s at best the 3rd center on the roster. I don’t know why the staff added him, but this is the first move they have made that doesn’t look great. There is absolutely no defending 41% from the field for a 7’ player plying against mid major competition.

Priller and April were added because Crean freaked out about needing size and added the two players that would say yes to him.

Still waiting on your prediction for Durr, Big Guy. He’s at best the 3rd center on the roster. I don’t know why the staff added him, but this is the first move they have made that doesn’t look great. There is absolutely no defending 41% from the field for a 7’ player plying against mid major competition.

Priller and April were added because Crean freaked out about needing size and added the two players that would say yes to him.
Durr is no April or Priller. He’s a 5 that can hit free throws and have some serviceable minutes. Neither applies to those other two. Durr also has some experience. It was literally a no brainer to add him.

TJD would have been the starting 5 on Baylor last year. He will be the starting 5 for IU next year.

Kofi has gotten the better of TJD. TJD has gotten the better of Purdue’s bigs more often than not.

Regardless of who we are playing, I would rather have TJD on the floor than Durr. TJD and Race will take up most of the minutes at the 5. Durr “might” get 10 mpg. He isn’t going to be any sort of an impact player. I’d have rather passed on him to wait for something else, or just bank the scholarship.

Durr is no April or Priller. He’s a 5 that can hit free throws and have some serviceable minutes. Neither applies to those other two. Durr also has some experience. It was literally a no brainer to add him.
Durr shot 41% from the field against mid major competition. That’s really bad. It doesn’t really matter as he won’t get much playing time.

If you are saying they played small at every position, then you should do some research yourself.
They played 3 combo guards, a 6'5 four and platooned the post with two players. The only other players with minutes was a 6'9 stretch and another combo.

Yes, they played smaller than most teams.

Listed as minutes played. Top 5 ..
6'2, 6'4, 6'3, 6'5, 6'3

so where's' all those tall guys you were talking about? Well they're the ones getting less than 20 minutes a game as role players.

Last edited:
TJD would have been the starting 5 on Baylor last year. He will be the starting 5 for IU next year.

Kofi has gotten the better of TJD. TJD has gotten the better of Purdue’s bigs more often than not.

Regardless of who we are playing, I would rather have TJD on the floor than Durr. TJD and Race will take up most of the minutes at the 5. Durr “might” get 10 mpg. He isn’t going to be any sort of an impact player. I’d have rather passed on him to wait for something else, or just bank the scholarship.
Gosh, so why did we bother with hiring CMW or Dane Fife when we had TrojanFan just sitting here to tell them who to recruit and make offers to? So you acknowledge that TJD has struggled with Kofi and also with PU's bigs at times, so, are you starting to see where Durr fits? He's a big body who will be used at times to guard bigger centers that TJD has struggled with. You point to Baylor saying a team doesn't need big bodies, but what that ignores is just how strong and physical their bigs were. TJD nor race (nor Durr probably for that matter) are that physical or strong, but Durr does have more size and gives us 5 more fouls to contend with bigger posts.Lastly, you steadfastly refuse to consider what happens if TJD or Race get injured, nor what role he might play the following year. I think our coaching staff recognized he gives them depth and some options our current roster doesn't and that's what building a "team" is all about.

And, everyone would rather have TJD on the floor than Durr... but I don't think cloning was an option. Again, you keep talking about Baylor's roster, but it's irrelevant if TJD would start for Baylor. The question is, what role does MD have at IU?

Reactions: LetsGoBigRed
Big guys in bball never hurt. You guys point to Baylor, but we have no one on our squad like their bigs, and only have 2 functional/experienced post players. Yes, we may play a 4 out 1 in, and yes, we may be able to get by with TJD and RT if LD can give us anything, but that's a big unkown and TJD nor RT are anything like Baylors bigs in terms of attitude and playing style. Those guys were physical and dawgs. We had a scholly open, and I think that was our greatest need remaining so I'm glad they attempted to fill it. If TJD or RT were to get injured or in foul trouble in a crucial game, you'll be the first one saying how dumb it was not to have adequate depth, and it would have been with an open scholly and players who could help.
Sorry, I didn't want to argue or even disagree I just wanted to call you a size queen.

Reactions: kkott

Baylor used their posts differently. It wasn't just size, it was how they are used. Same with Gonzaga and UCLA (mostly), same with Houston. All four used 4 out ... and played smaller at the 4 spot.

While a majority of B1G ten teams are still using them in low post back to basket and losing. Mich, Pur, IU, Ill ... and play inside/out ... the teams listed above played outside/in and place their bigs high, facing or rolling or on weakside which is what IU will most likely do next year.

Analytics is pushing this as it's well known that the back to the basket post up is the least efficient play in basketball. Not least efficient shot, but from set up to feed, to shot, the chance of success is lower than driving, rolls, or weakside dump offs.

It also demands a four that can stretch the floor or drive, and be able to guard a larger area, which is why many teams go smaller at that spot. Plus it allows switching on the perimeter.

Read up on 4/1 and how the big is used. Placing TJD on the left side and pounding the ball into him will not be the norm anymore. He'll be in the "dunker spot" on weak side eating up offensive boards, lobs and dunking off dump offs... or rolling off high picks.. and hopefully pick and pop.

As far as depth only need three posts ..I said need. It's better to have more, especially developing. We have 4, 3 play ready, 1 in waiting. Perfect.

Gonzaga only played 2 traditional posts last year with a 3rd in Diallo only getting spot minutes. UCLA only played with 2, Baylor 2, Houston none... all of them were single post with a wing at 4.

Last edited:
You lost your chance at a civil conversation with ANYONE on this board long ago (outside of your Purdue buddies).

TJD is a top 5 center in the country even at 6’9”. You can try to diminish his game all you want, but you just look foolish.
Don’t blame me because you can’t talk IU hoops. Your ignorance isn’t my fault, or anyone else’s here. And I haven’t “diminished his game” but have instead simply been truthful about it. That’s one of the differences between us - you wouldn’t know the truth about stuff like this if it hit you in the face. There’s really no reason for you to be here, troll. Go away.

Baylor used their posts differently. It wasn't just size, it was how they are used. Same with Gonzaga and UCLA (mostly), same with Houston. All four used 4 out ... and played smaller at the 4 spot.

While a majority of B1G ten teams are still using them in low post back to basket and losing. Mich, Pur, IU, Ill ... and play inside/out ... the teams listed above played outside/in and place their bigs high, facing or rolling or on weakside which is what IU will most likely do next year.

Analytics is pushing this as it's well known that the back to the basket post up is the least efficient play in basketball. Not least efficient shot, but from set up to feed, to shot, the chance of success is lower than driving, rolls, or weakside dump offs.

It also demands a four that can stretch the floor or drive, and be able to guard a larger area, which is why many teams go smaller at that spot. Plus it allows switching on the perimeter.

Read up on 4/1 and how the big is used. Placing TJD on the left side and pounding the ball into him will not be the norm anymore. He'll be in the "dunker spot" on weak side eating up offensive boards, lobs and dunking off dump offs... or rolling off high picks.. and hopefully pick and pop.

As far as depth only need three posts ..I said need. It's better to have more, especially developing. We have 4, 3 play ready, 1 in waiting. Perfect.

Gonzaga only played 2 traditional posts last year with a 3rd in Diallo only getting spot minutes. UCLA only played with 2, Baylor 2, Houston none... all of them were single post with a wing at 4.
Nobody asked for a lecture on 4 out 1 in/dribble drive, especially one from a nerd that couldn't hold their own on a real basketball court. Go watch another YouTube video on basketball.

If you would turn down a Cody Zeller, Anthony Davis, Tim Duncan, or Hakeem, you would be a moron: feel free to state your opinion on that whenever. A 2 point shot from close range is the easiest shot in basketball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Please Be Kind
Gosh, so why did we bother with hiring CMW or Dane Fife when we had TrojanFan just sitting here to tell them who to recruit and make offers to? So you acknowledge that TJD has struggled with Kofi and also with PU's bigs at times, so, are you starting to see where Durr fits? He's a big body who will be used at times to guard bigger centers that TJD has struggled with. You point to Baylor saying a team doesn't need big bodies, but what that ignores is just how strong and physical their bigs were. TJD nor race (nor Durr probably for that matter) are that physical or strong, but Durr does have more size and gives us 5 more fouls to contend with bigger posts.Lastly, you steadfastly refuse to consider what happens if TJD or Race get injured, nor what role he might play the following year. I think our coaching staff recognized he gives them depth and some options our current roster doesn't and that's what building a "team" is all about.

And, everyone would rather have TJD on the floor than Durr... but I don't think cloning was an option. Again, you keep talking about Baylor's roster, but it's irrelevant if TJD would start for Baylor. The question is, what role does MD have at IU?
You are being obtuse. Every other team in the Big Ten struggles to guard TJD as well. He has gotten the better of the Purdue bigs 3/4 times he’s played them. It’s not like Woodson is going to sit TJD to play Durr when we play bigger players.

Durr won’t get much playing time barring injuries to TJD and Race. You still seem not to understand how bad 41% from the field is for a 7’ player playing against mid major teams. Now imagine that inefficient player against real big men.

TJD is the starter playing 30+ mpg. Race is his backup. Durr is an emergency player that won’t see the floor often.

Nobody asked for a lecture on 4 out 1 in/dribble drive, especially one from a nerd that couldn't hold their own on a real basketball court. Go watch another YouTube video on basketball.

If you would turn down a Cody Zeller, Anthony Davis, Tim Duncan, or Hakeem, you would be a moron: feel free to state your opinion on that whenever. A 2 point shot from close range is the easiest shot in basketball.
Ughh. Those guys would do great in a 4 out. Athletic fast and long.

He talked about needing to expand the recruiting footprint outside of Indiana and the 2 neighboring states and finding more of a certain type of player, which in this case was big guys. We were getting pounded down low and he was going to shore it up.
Yep and the juco thing for him worked out 50/50. We got 3 good ones out of 6 or so.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
"Ughh. Those guys would do great in a 4 out. Athletic fast and long."

According to some, they are too tall, they shouldn't be posting up, they got too many minutes, and they shouldn't ever be the focal point of an offense.

Wow so much strange arguing on here. Durr is a good pickup for us. I don’t believe we want TJD and Race putting in the minutes and mileage they did last year. They seemed beat up towards the end of the year (especially late in games) as IU dragged ass to the finish line. They will get the majority of the minutes at the 4 and 5 and I believe Durr will be the guy spelling them unless Duncomb comes in much more ready to go than anyone expects. I for one have zero interest in seeing anyone 6’6” who cannot defend a big or rim protect like we had last year every time TDD or Race needed to come out or got hurt or got in foul trouble. I expect to see Durr get 15ish minutes per game unless Duncomb comes right in and plays a more significant role.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT