ADVERTISEMENT

Durr at USF

Rotonda

Redshirt
Mar 15, 2014
Rotonda, Florida
I live near Tampa and watched Durr off and on over the last two seasons. He is a good rebounder, a great free throw shooter and a fairly good shot blocker. He is not afraid to shoot from the outside and should be a great option off the bench to help Race and Trace. USF played a lot of schools tough. Wichita State and Memphis come to mind. He is a very serviceable recruit.

He's an extra 5 fouls in the post and a true big man to replace Brunk. My expectations are very low otherwise, but it's nice to have a true big man to go up against the Zach Edey's of the conference, but he won't be needed against teams without a true center.

Reactions: 76-1
He's an extra 5 fouls in the post and a true big man to replace Brunk. My expectations are very low otherwise, but it's nice to have a true big man to go up against the Zach Edey's of the conference, but he won't be needed against teams without a true center.
Durr gives us back the option to play a more conventional lineup. I believe we will do that more than people think. I always like doing something the other team isn't expecting. Remember IU running against UNLV in '87?

I was never a fan of Brunk's play. He played smaller than his size. He often had his shot blocked, taken away and slower than I had expected. I am looking forward to what the staff can do with Durr.

Reactions: 76-1 and Army88
Durr gives us back the option to play a more conventional lineup. I believe we will do that more than people think. I always like doing something the other team isn't expecting. Remember IU running against UNLV in '87?

I was never a fan of Brunk's play. He played smaller than his size. He often had his shot blocked, taken away and slower than I had expected. I am looking forward to what the staff can do with Durr.
Yes, recruit players for one system and then play a completely different one. It will certainly confuse opponents as they kick our ass.

that's some Tom Crean level genius on display ..

I was thinking, with 80 minutes at the 4 and 5 spot combined, TJD will get his approx 32 minutes and Race and Durr could split evenly the remaining 48 minutes...more or less. Glad we got a guy to eat into Race's minutes and I don't mean that as a slight against Race, it's just that a marker for success is having roster talent that will eat Race's minutes...imo...idk?
If Race and TJD develop a perimeter game that can keep defenses honest. If not expect to see a smaller four more often. As Kopp and Geronimo can both play in the other spot.

You can't play four out with a four that the defense can sag on. It clogs up the driving lanes and kills spacing. See the last four years for an example. Hopefully they both expand their game and it's a moot point.

I live near Tampa and watched Durr off and on over the last two seasons. He is a good rebounder, a great free throw shooter and a fairly good shot blocker. He is not afraid to shoot from the outside and should be a great option off the bench to help Race and Trace. USF played a lot of schools tough. Wichita State and Memphis come to mind. He is a very serviceable recruit.
This addition will allow LD to come along at a slower pace and even possibly red shirt.

Reactions: 76-1
I don't remember what a traditional/balanced lineup looks like. It feels like IU is always undersized. At least for the last 25 years (the exception was 2002). I am excited for the season. I kind of feel like Coach Woodson should have been hired 10 years ago. Count me as one of the skeptics every time his name was mentioned over the last 3-4 coaching searches. He seems to be legit.

Reactions: IUgradman
This addition will allow LD to come along at a slower pace and even possibly red shirt.
Durr helps in multiple ways. That's one way.

If he improves his shot he can be a pick n pop and stretch defenses from the 5 spot.

He supplies experienced backup for TJD and Race, so foul trouble is less a worry.

Most importantly, Durr also gives us a bigger option to guard some teams posts. TJD has had issues with the wide bodies on offense and defense. This addition allows us to match up better with some teams. Not a shot blocker but he eats space.

He's also a good rebounder which can only help. We had issues rebounding last year.

May not be a huge impact but he does fill a role we need. There's no bad in this pickup.

Yes, recruit players for one system and then play a completely different one. It will certainly confuse opponents as they kick our ass.

that's some Tom Crean level genius on display ..
Yes Boob, there will be times where TJD will be on the floor with a big and they will break from the 4 out. Durr could allow TJD to move outside, but he won't stay out there on every possession.

It will be interesting what our lineup will look like and where they will play. I'm glad we can go big if we need to.

Michael Durr 7’0” 255

13pts - 13 rebs-2blks vs Wichita St
11pts - 11 rebs vs Temple
18pts - 9rebs vs Wichita State
14pts - 7 rebs vs Houston
11 rebounds. vs Tulsa
4 blocks 7-7 fts vs Temple
9pts - 11 rebs vs Central Florida
6pts - 10 rebs. vs Memphis
8pts - 14rpgs vs Wichita State
14pts - 10rebs vs Cincinnati
14pts - 9rebs. vs Fla Gulf Coast
10pts - 7rebs. vs Virginia Tech
10pts - 7 rebs. vs Rhose Island

His best games last season. Notice against good to top competition against Memphis, Wichita, Temple and UC.

ADVERTISEMENT