ADVERTISEMENT

Dump the Theme for "The Godfather"

The Hundred could use an overhaul, but there are some horrifically bad suggestions in this thread. Yeeeeesh.

Reactions: 10yrProject
Just throwing stuff up there to see if anything sticks:cool::D;)

I agree that most of what I put up would need to be edited severely time wise.

Some of my thoughts above would need to be just played "as is" without band participation and although I like the bands overall sound evidently many think cutting them out of the loop, at least partially, wouldn't be all that bad a thing to have happen.;)

I agree that some are shaky (talking about my ideas). My thought is that if they made money for Hollywood they could probably make $ for IU too ( the movie theme ones). :):D;)

Last edited:
Here's my final one and certainly one of the best: Check out -3:00 thru -2:15 you could even go all the way to -1:47 if we had that much time to work with... (This is to introduce the Defense upon their taking the field) ///// If we win and the D holds the opposition to 20 points or less we could start a tradition of playing this song right before the game ends or immediately after as an "Homage" to great Defense running it all the way thru to -0:40.

How about the above to replace "The Godfather" lullaby/funeral dirge... 1:04-1:21 fits best in my opinion...

Has anybody caught onto the fact that Ballroom Blitz was done by Sweet (later covered by Krokus) and not AC/DC?

In any event, here is my choice for team intro song. Just as it sounds, no vocals. Picture this with smoke filling the NEZ and a video of charging bison. This is if I’m at the controls.

Reactions: Daydreamer
. /\ > ******* Here's my preference! Listen to the music from -2:45 thru -2:23, it ends right as the ships prow skids up on the beach. I call it "the strident horns intro"... + They could sharply edit the earlier speech to be IU Football specific and given by a player to be taped in house and shown in a pre-game, players only, setting before heading out for each half as game appropriate.******^/\​

I'm voting for the above as the Team intro... Has a "ready to do battle" sound...

Respectfully, all of the above suggestions are terrible. The songs have to explosive. They need to go from 0 to 60 in about half a second.

Something like this:

Reactions: Chriselli
All I can tell you is that the two I've put forth are already audience tested and they made their producers millions... That's gotta count for something...;):D

Reactions: 82hoosier
Has anybody caught onto the fact that Ballroom Blitz was done by Sweet (later covered by Krokus) and not AC/DC?

In any event, here is my choice for team intro song. Just as it sounds, no vocals. Picture this with smoke filling the NEZ and a video of charging bison. This is if I’m at the controls.

Silly me! I thought we had take-the-field music for our team. I could have sworn the song was called, "Indiana, our Indiana."

The Hundred could use an overhaul, but there are some horrifically bad suggestions in this thread. Yeeeeesh.
You don't like "Onward To Victory?!?"
I'm thinking we want this music to make the offense stop, look around and think, "What the f*** is THAT?!?" And I think "Onward To Victory" accomplishes that.

The Hundred does NOT need to add more Motown to its repertoire. And I like Motown.

Now that we are,hopefully, done with calling each other stupid, or worse, (in at least one case implying that you hope some of us die as soon as possible {YOTHN, that does it, you're no longer invited to my Wake!}), while discussing stuff that has zip to do with IU Football, perhaps we can move on to one of the more Serious, Pressing, issues of our time: How do we get the damn band to stop playing that "Godfather Theme" everytime our defense takes the field?!??!?!? It was a mediocre intro at best when they started doing it clear back when Dinardo was coaching but at least it was a nod to him (although I'm amazed no one has ever complained about That not being PC.., the Italian American contingent must be part of the Tailgate only crowd {or maybe they just aren't whiners}). I believe that we could do better in terms of firing up both the crowd and the defense with a new musical introduction to their stepping on the field. Ideas anyone??? //And yeah, I know already (to save you three some time): RBB89 thinks this is stupid+ several similar adjectives, and I win the "dumbest thread ever award (thank you for that in advance {smile}); YOTHN would prefer my generation just shut up and die, and Goody 86 agrees with all of that but would like to see us suffer a little on the way out....Always great to make new friends on this here inter webbed thingy... (Smile)-////-////-Now..., once again, with feeling: How do we get the band to dump the Godfather theme and what should we replace it with??? Your choice here: ***\--\---______---/--/***
make them an offer they can't refuse, and they might.

Reactions: 76-1
You are in control of the music at a party. You think people should be dancing and whoopin in up... but instead everybody seems to be glued to the couches. You have a choice of two greatest hits cds to liven the party. Which one are you going to put on? A. Michael Jackson or B. John Philip Sousa.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
One thing has been confirmed: We all have diverse and unique tastes when it comes to music. ;) :D

Could always do something from Secretly Canadian or Jagjaguwar, two amazing music labels in Bloomington founded by IU grads.

You are in control of the music at a party. You think people should be dancing and whoopin in up... but instead everybody seems to be glued to the couches. You have a choice of two greatest hits cds to liven the party. Which one are you going to put on? A. Michael Jackson or B. John Philip Sousa.

Well.....for me, Sousa no doubt....but that's why I didn't do well at parties.

But seriously, it's a MARCHING band.....a marching band should, at least some of the time, play march music. See Ohio State. Not saying they can't do other things, but they shouldn't try to out-beatle the Beatles.

UCLA and Berkeley both are named the Bruins and both schools have the same fight song. This should not be so hard. Wisconsin plays a beer jingle. And it’s a lousy beer. But it works. Do people jump up and start clapping to The Godfather theme? It’s only the most embarrassing era of Hoosier football in more than 50 years so let’s keep embracing it.

Who is the person responsible for picking that piss poor song?

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
Well.....for me, Sousa no doubt....but that's why I didn't do well at parties.

But seriously, it's a MARCHING band.....a marching band should, at least some of the time, play march music. See Ohio State. Not saying they can't do other things, but they shouldn't try to out-beatle the Beatles.
I think we are not on the same page. This thread is about tunes the band plays while they are in the stands playing a song during a time out etc.

Are you the guy who posts this every year? I really like this song......a lot better than Indiana Fight imo.....here's a suggestion for Fred....have the band play this at the end of the 3rd Q, instead of the WTO ripoff from the bball program. Create a seperate football identity Fred!!!

That's not going to get the crowd hyped.

If you want to get people hyped and have a true "anti-Sloopy" song with some State of Indiana connections, I think you need to look at the Jacksons/Michael Jackson library. They've got the monster hits.

Reactions: ESalum86
here's what the band needs to play.

forget the 2 mins 42 seconds of intro. they need to start exactly where the 2:43 mark is, and go.

tubas/sousas, french horns, and trombones, start the transitional part that leads in, trumpets and coronets come in, do their thing, and go for it, where Mike Campbell comes in with his lead.

when they're in the stands, give a primo coronet guy a mic and let him really go off.

the transitional lead in part would be a great 1st down theme.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT