ADVERTISEMENT

Dump the Theme for "The Godfather"

10yrProject

Sophomore
Sep 1, 2016
Now that we are,hopefully, done with calling each other stupid, or worse, (in at least one case implying that you hope some of us die as soon as possible {YOTHN, that does it, you're no longer invited to my Wake!}), while discussing stuff that has zip to do with IU Football, perhaps we can move on to one of the more Serious, Pressing, issues of our time: How do we get the damn band to stop playing that "Godfather Theme" everytime our defense takes the field?!??!?!? It was a mediocre intro at best when they started doing it clear back when Dinardo was coaching but at least it was a nod to him (although I'm amazed no one has ever complained about That not being PC.., the Italian American contingent must be part of the Tailgate only crowd {or maybe they just aren't whiners}). I believe that we could do better in terms of firing up both the crowd and the defense with a new musical introduction to their stepping on the field. Ideas anyone??? //And yeah, I know already (to save you three some time): RBB89 thinks this is stupid+ several similar adjectives, and I win the "dumbest thread ever award (thank you for that in advance {smile}); YOTHN would prefer my generation just shut up and die, and Goody 86 agrees with all of that but would like to see us suffer a little on the way out....Always great to make new friends on this here inter webbed thingy... (Smile)-////-////-Now..., once again, with feeling: How do we get the band to dump the Godfather theme and what should we replace it with??? Your choice here: ***\--\---______---/--/***

Last edited:
Band needs higher energy
Shorter pieces

If not for intro of D, then for sacks:

AC DC. Ballroom Blitz

And the man in the back
Said everyone attack
And it turned into
A Ballroom Blitz

I agree with post from a different thread on first down March - just cut the song in half and start at the current midpoint - that was organic, the stadium largely supported, energy spread and it was "ours"

Agree with almost all of what you said Knothole..... BR Blitz isn't my 1st choice but I'm picky and considered geriatric by some... (Smile) ///// My preferences would be these: ***1) the strident horns ***right after Achilles gives his "immortality is waiting, take it it's yours! speech (in the taking the beach scene from the movie Troy)*** \\\//:and actually if I were Tom Allen and/or Kevin Wilson I'd have one of the players filmed giving an "edited to fit IU football" version of that same speech and play it before taking the field for just the players.\\\; my 2nd choice: drums + from the somewhere in last 2&1/2 minutes of the Backdraft theme; ///// see my entries in the posts below for the rest... ///(Now I'm speaking of just short, high energy, soundbites, not something that would clearly identify any of the movies mentioned themselves)////. Does any of that work for anyone? Check em out on YouTube just remember to only listen for the 35 to 55 second, high energy bits that the band might be able to replicate or accompany. // or maybe we could have a mix of a couple of them if the sounds transitioned well. I think most if not all of those are Hans Zimmer arrangements so a few might match up well in some very short form.

Last edited:
Band needs higher energy
Shorter pieces

AC DC. Ballroom Blitz

And the man in the back
Said everyone attack
And it turned into
A Ballroom Blitz

I agree with post from a different thread on first down March - just cut the song in half and start at the current midpoint - that was organic, the stadium largely supported, energy spread and it was "ours"
AC DC and Ballroom Blitz? We really do have problems here. RBB is going to flip out when he sees this.

Reactions: Chriselli
The Godfather theme is a lullaby. They play it at the end of the movie against a still picture.

For a change of pace here it a cut and paste story of Wisconsin's fun Budweiser song:

"An integral part of any Wisconsin band performance is the playing of the Bud song. The tune is a spinoff of the song "Budweiser, Here Comes the King," a jingle with words and music originally written by Steve Karmen for Budweiser beer commercials. Copyrighted by Elsmere Music, Inc. in 1971, the song has become legendary at the University because of its polka-like rhythm. Band director Michael Leckrone said the song's popularity got started at a 1975 hockey game. "The crowd wanted to hear a polka," he said. "I didn't have any polkas. We had, just by accident, this beer commercial in the tunes we play. I told the band if we substituted the word Wisconsin' for Budweiser' it would work."

Leckrone said the song became a football tradition after a 1978 come-from-behind victory over Oregon. "Wisconsin was behind by three touchdowns, and the crowd was really dead. I played the song to get everyone pepped up. About 20 seconds after that, Wisconsin scored a touchdown. I played it again, and Wisconsin scored another touchdown. From then on, the band could never play enough Bud.'"

The Godfather theme is a lullaby. They play it at the end of the movie against a still picture.

For a change of pace here it a cut and paste story of Wisconsin's fun Budweiser song:

"An integral part of any Wisconsin band performance is the playing of the Bud song. The tune is a spinoff of the song "Budweiser, Here Comes the King," a jingle with words and music originally written by Steve Karmen for Budweiser beer commercials. Copyrighted by Elsmere Music, Inc. in 1971, the song has become legendary at the University because of its polka-like rhythm. Band director Michael Leckrone said the song's popularity got started at a 1975 hockey game. "The crowd wanted to hear a polka," he said. "I didn't have any polkas. We had, just by accident, this beer commercial in the tunes we play. I told the band if we substituted the word Wisconsin' for Budweiser' it would work."

Leckrone said the song became a football tradition after a 1978 come-from-behind victory over Oregon. "Wisconsin was behind by three touchdowns, and the crowd was really dead. I played the song to get everyone pepped up. About 20 seconds after that, Wisconsin scored a touchdown. I played it again, and Wisconsin scored another touchdown. From then on, the band could never play enough Bud.'"
But they have a great band.

I still hate that CKW put a stop to the National Emblem celebration for first downs, especially considering the less furious pace of the offense now.

Most good college football traditions are not handed down from above but are homegrown and cultivated.

That one tradition was awesome to watch on televised games, then Coach ended it.

AC DC and Ballroom Blitz? We really do have problems here. RBB is going to flip out when he sees this.

Ballroom Blitz seems a bit silly, to me. How about Eminem's Mosh or Onward to Victory by Icepick.

And, does anyone here remember "Sensuround" from the movie "Earthquake?" Let's build friggin' walls of speakers in each corner of Memorial Stadium, pointed at the State of Indiana at midfield and blast one of these as the defense's entry song. Talk about a home field advantage!

Last edited:
Ballroom Blitz seems a bit silly, to me. How about Eminem's Mosh or Onward to Victory by Icepick.

And, does anyone here remember "Sensuround" from the movie "Earthquake?" Let's build friggin' walls of speakers in each corner of Memorial Stadium, pointed at the State of Indiana at midfield and blast one of these as the defense's entry song. Talk about a home field advantage!
I was making a bit of a joke regarding the "artists" (it was "Sweet", not "AC/DC" who sang the song).

Totally agree that the band's song list is due for an update.

I'd suggest something from Hamilton for starters.

I still hate that CKW put a stop to the National Emblem celebration for first downs, especially considering the less furious pace of the offense now.

Most good college football traditions are not handed down from above but are homegrown and cultivated.

That one tradition was awesome to watch on televised games, then Coach ended it.

I understand the reasoning but it led to a situation where Ball State's band got to play constantly while IU is on offense while the IU band sits on their hands.

I thought "National Emblem" was great for momentum and to get the crowd going. Also always seemed to distract the other team's bench players a bit.

Also they need to play the tag at the end of "Indiana FIGHT" way more often. That's such a great 1st down song after a big play or song to play after a sack.

It shouldn't just be "we're behind and there's a timeout, let's play it"

Last edited:
Reactions: 10yrProject and ORG
You all are aware that they still play National Emblem, right? After touchdowns.

Now that we are,hopefully, done with calling each other stupid, or worse, (in at least one case implying that you hope some of us die as soon as possible {YOTHN, that does it, you're no longer invited to my Wake!}), while discussing stuff that has zip to do with IU Football, perhaps we can move on to one of the more Serious, Pressing, issues of our time: How do we get the damn band to stop playing that "Godfather Theme" everytime our defense takes the field?!??!?!? It was a mediocre intro at best when they started doing it clear back when Dinardo was coaching but at least it was a nod to him (although I'm amazed no one has ever complained about That not being PC.., the Italian American contingent must be part of the Tailgate only crowd {or maybe they just aren't whiners}). I believe that we could do better in terms of firing up both the crowd and the defense with a new musical introduction to their stepping on the field. Ideas anyone??? //And yeah, I know already (to save you three some time): RBB89 thinks this is stupid+ several similar adjectives, and I win the "dumbest thread ever award (thank you for that in advance {smile}); YOTHN would prefer my generation just shut up and die, and Goody 86 agrees with all of that but would like to see us suffer a little on the way out....Always great to make new friends on this here inter webbed thingy... (Smile)-////-////-Now..., once again, with feeling: How do we get the band to dump the Godfather theme and what should we replace it with??? Your choice here: ***\--\---______---/--/***

Since you want me to make you suffer, why do you insist on posting everything in structural gibberish? HONESTLY???? ____99983490u8q2309ukjlas Isn't i :) it annoying///....to, you know*** readthis?????

I do actually like the Godfather theme - it's one thing I think the band does well and always liked, but it doesn't really seem to do much for the rest of the crowd. I don't really care what the band plays when the defense comes out, I'd just like them to play everything they play much louder than they currently do.

You all are aware that they still play National Emblem, right? After touchdowns.

It represents IU driving down the field, so just playing it after TDs misses the point completely. The defense may suck, but here's the offense! You can't tackle Antwaan! Here we go! Now we really got it cranking so the band's playing it at a fast tempo. We hit the red zone after a huge drive so the band is going to play it slowly and deliberately.

The TD song should be a celebration (just Indiana, Our Indiana).

I think it was a combination of factors, all which could have been handled better. Band was amazingly slow to start after a 1st down. Team would be lining up before even started. Was doomed with quicker pace of play. A combination of a shortened version and immediate playing of tune would have worked. Now we get people pumping arms to a trodding march instead of making more noise cheering and clapping to fight song after a touchdown. Really is misplaced and counterproductive, IMO.

Agree with almost all of what you said Knothole..... BR Blitz isn't my 1st choice but I'm picky and considered geriatric by some... (Smile) ///// My preferences would be these: ***1) the strident horns ***right after Achilles gives his "immortality is waiting, take it it's yours! speech (in the taking the beach scene from the movie Troy)*** \\\//:and actually if I were Tom Allen and/or Kevin Wilson I'd have one of the players filmed giving an "edited to fit IU football" version of that same speech and play it before taking the field for just the players.\\\; my 2nd choice: drums + from the somewhere in last 2&1/2 minutes of the Backdraft theme; /////3rd choice: something from the Pirates of the Carribbean theme (just the short energetic stuff);//////// 4th: something from Batman: Dark Knight Rises //// /(Now I'm speaking of just short, high energy, soundbites, not something that would clearly identify any of the movies mentioned themselves)////. Does any of that work for anyone? Check em out on YouTube just remember to only listen for the 35 to 55 second, high energy bits that the band might be able to replicate. // or maybe we could have a mix of a couple of them if the sounds transitioned well. I think most if not all of those are Hans Zimmer arrangements so a few might match up well in some very short form... /// Or, perhaps something from the last minute and twelve seconds of Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Khan ( the Enterprise's first encounter with Reliant)? Then again we elderly can be partial to the opera and/or musicals so how about something from Phantom of the Opera? (Smile)
A snippet from the "Kraken' by Hans Zimmer: something from "Let the bodies hit the floor" by Drowning Pool; or the opening of "Eye of the Tiger by Survivor.

You don't have to say it, I admit I am older than dirt and my taste in music reflects my age.

;)

Reactions: 10yrProject
. /\ > ******* Here's my preference! Listen to the music from -2:45 thru -2:23, it ends right as the ships prow skids up on the beach. I call it "the strident horns intro"... + They could sharply edit the earlier speech to be IU Football specific and given by a player to be taped in house and shown in a pre-game, players only, setting before heading out for each half as game appropriate.******^/\​

Last edited:

I like the ominous sense of foreboding in Eminem's piece:

And if you want energy, Icepick provides plenty of it -- along with a simple, yet effective message: "Onward to victory!"

and here is Pirates of Caribbean ()short version (). I like -2:50 thru -2:08 and/or -1:00 thru -0:15 (good energy)
Mo Mo-Town
These message boards could probably provided the basis for a couple of doctoral thesis in both psychology and sociology (I wonder what it would to take to find a consensus on anything (besides pu sucks)??? This appears to be another exercise in cat herding. ;):) (Smile)

Last edited:
These message boards could probably provided the basis for a couple of doctoral thesis in both psychology and sociology (I wonder what it would to take to find a consensus in anything (besides pu sucks)??? This appears to be another exercise in cat herding. ;):) (Smile)

I can think of one other thing on which we all agree: Dem Mildcats also suck. And, I'll grant you that there is an element of car herding in this exercise, but at least these are talented and entertaining cats! :)

I'd leave this kind of stuff up to powers that be but we might just get a longer set of video messages from the Prez & the AD:cool: * Now that's just meant as a joke Jeremy if you're reading this site*. It appears to me that somebody down there is doing a very good job from what I experienced last weekend.:) I would trim those two intro messages in by a third (time wise) if possible and add the old bison clip but... they aren't my bosses.;) I do miss the line of charging Bison though, and we really do need to lose the Godfather theme. Just about anything would be better. I will say I am nitpicking with a very fine comb here. I had a good experience last game in spite of my distress of still hearing the Godfather theme played.:) No reason to stop at just being good though when when you have a legit shot at being Great!....:D

Last edited:
If Wisconsin can be wildly successful using a beer jingle, I am sure IU can come up with something. After all, there are still a lot of beer and cigarette jingles out there. And don't anybody try to tell me that the Marlboro Man was not a cool guy. ;)

Mo Mo-Town
Well MYIOTF, here are a few Motown songs with at least football appropriate titles:

Stop: In The Name of Love

I'll Be There for You

You've Really Got a Hold On Me

(That one above should be made the unofficial "lack of call" song);):mad::(o_O:):rolleyes: If we could add a quick frame shot of the hold up on the big screen while this music played that would be perfect! Maybe if we put it together as a humor piece we could get around the Big Ten don't show the call rule ( one which we seem to be the only outfit that complies with).

Last edited:
If anyone thinks they're actually going to start playing MoTown over the speakers, well, good luck with that.

And I Iike that music. But it's not gonna happen.

If anyone thinks they're actually going to start playing MoTown over the speakers, well, good luck with that.

And I Iike that music. But it's not gonna happen.
MTIOTF was joking. As was I. And yeah, you're probably right, we only seem to change the good stuff (dumping the bison run). We'll probably keep using a "70's" theme that sounds like a funeral dirge to attempt get the crowd psyched about the D taking the field... Too bad. We could do much better.

On the other hand playing a slow tired funeral dirge reminds fans that the historically worst defense in college football is about to take the field again. At least that is the message that is being sent.

Why would they change helmets, colors, etc.. and keep the same crappy music?

On the other hand playing a slow tired funeral dirge reminds fans that the historically worst defense in college football is about to take the field again. At least that is the message that is being sent.

Why would they change helmets, colors, etc.. and keep the same crappy music?
Because RBB said they should. Lol

Band needs higher energy
Shorter pieces

AC DC. Ballroom Blitz

And the man in the back
Said everyone attack
And it turned into
A Ballroom Blitz

That would work. I liked the 1st down March.

And in the background of the P$U vs Temple game: "Freedom" (I think that's the title, if not, it's the key lyric) a Motown hit... Not that I would want IU to emulate P$U in hardly any way but MTIOTF might be on to something ;):)

Then the P$U band plays something from Phantom of the Opera and later Gladiator. Are those guys monitoring our thread?!?!?? o_O;):):cool::)

That whole Godfather theme started when the Italian coach, Gerry Dinardo, was here. It makes no sense to keep playing it, but what do you expect out of the 100 at this point?

Go-IU-Win

Here's my final one and certainly one of the best: Check out -3:00 thru -2:15 you could even go all the way to -1:47 if we had that much time to work with... (This is to introduce the Defense upon their taking the field) ///// If we win and the D holds the opposition to 20 points or less we could start a tradition of playing this song right before the game ends or immediately after as an "Homage" to great Defense running it all the way thru to -0:40.

Last edited:
We could also start a tradition of playing this from -2:33 to -0:57 for the Offense every time they scored 50 or more points coupled with a Win. // There's probably something better than this for the O. It's all I could come up with on short notice.//

Last edited:
Sing Sing Sing and Back Home Again In Indiana are wonderful songs. And the theme from The Godfather - well, it from a great movie. Other classic songs are Stardust and Georgia on My Mind written by IU's own Hoagy Carmichael.

What do they all have in common? They are all irrelevant when it comes to tunes for a football game. Wisconsin's Budweiser jingle is from a television commercial - background for something that from beginning to end is 30 seconds.

Great sporting event tunes cause people to jump to their feet after the first two or three notes have been played. That should be the only test.

Also, it has to be tough trying to get the crowd to respond in a half-empty stadium. A good football game again a quality opponent goes a long way in making The Marching 100 tunes better.

If you were look at the IU fight song you will see that the whole first verse, which is what we consider the fight song, is 25 seconds long. These songs are jingles. There are no introductions. You must be into the heart of the song in 2 or 3 seconds and have people clapping and singing along. It is something that everyone must know automatically.

Some of the suggestions I have to look up on youtube. I had never heard them and never want to hear them again. Some were just too long. And some were designed for a concert. These are not songs to be listened to - they are group participation songs. There is not single suggestion above that really jumps out at me.

But this fun and I am enjoying the suggestions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT