ADVERTISEMENT

Duke vs. Kentucky in Indpls this year...

Well you guys did call him shady before he came to UK. Also it was reported that Davis got 200k from someone to go to UK
LOL, yeah, the ole "Cal paid AD $200K" rumor started by Illinois fans. That was a good one.
Oh I won't deny I thought Cal was shady when he was at Memphis, I thought he toe'd the line a little too close and probably broke some rules to get those bigtime recruits.
It didn't help that he used to pride himself at getting under the skin of others (Calhoun, Pitino, Cheney, refs etc… ), but knowing what I know now, I can easily say I was wrong, way wrong.
I never cared to dig into what actually happened in his past.
I don't expect non UK fans to change their perception of him, but I understand why they feel the way they do.

I just asked what UK has to gain by playing IU.

End to an undefeated Season? A butt-whipping on national tv? Humiliation? Disgrace? Self-doubts? Shame? Not guaranteed but perhaps more likely than playing anyone else...

:D

PS - Lesson from the other 'court' is to never ask a question if you don't already know the answer.

Reactions: kyjeff1
LOL, yeah, the ole "Cal paid AD $200K" rumor started by Illinois fans. That was a good one.
Oh I won't deny I thought Cal was shady when he was at Memphis, I thought he toe'd the line a little too close and probably broke some rules to get those bigtime recruits.
It didn't help that he used to pride himself at getting under the skin of others (Calhoun, Pitino, Cheney, refs etc… ), but knowing what I know now, I can easily say I was wrong, way wrong.
I don't expect non UK fans to change their perception of him, but I understand why they feel the way they do.
We get it that UK fans are use to have a cheating program and their fans condone it.
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/feb/13/kentucky-basketball-victories-tainted/
https://athlonsports.com/college-ba...dcats-pay-players-cheat-basketball-fox-sports
Just a few articles about the history of UK basketball program cheating scandals

End to an undefeated Season? A butt-whipping on national tv? Humiliation? Disgrace? Self-doubts? Shame? Not guaranteed but perhaps more likely than playing anyone else...

:D

PS - Lesson from the other 'court' is to never ask a question if you don't already know the answer.
Ha ha, yeah that loss sucked. Only lost one other game that season.
Who knows, maybe those two losses were helpful to the team in the long run.
We saw what happened to the 38-0 team in 2015, maybe a loss earlier in the season would have prevented the loss in the FF to Wiscy.

We get it that UK fans are use to have a cheating program and their fans condone it.
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/feb/13/kentucky-basketball-victories-tainted/
https://athlonsports.com/college-ba...dcats-pay-players-cheat-basketball-fox-sports
Just a few articles about the history of UK basketball program cheating scandals
LOL a link from KU fans and a link.from Clay Travis. I hope you didn't put too much stock in either one of those.
I guess all you have to do is accuse some one of cheating and POOF, they're cheaters. Love it.

Traditional? By traditional, you mean how things were done up until 2000? Not a whole lot of top teams play non-con homes & homes anymore, and the ones that do usually do it as a one-off and not indefinitely, like I'm assuming we all want UK/ IU to be.

Xavier/ UC is the only one I can think of.

Obviously he likes his team to be in the spotlight, but I get a laugh out of the idea that Cal demanded Indy and only Indy, so he could have some marginal(none?) recruiting advantage. At the same time you ignore umpteenth other more logical reasons for why the game should be in Indy.

You also seem to be ignoring the fact that Indiana would be UK's opponent in said game, so wouldn't that make the advantage a wash if it was a recruit we were both in on?

Fact is Crean was just as stubborn and when we couldn't play at the Hall that was the end of discussion for him. Duke and UK have the ability to dictate who and where they want to play in the non-con with the idea being to enhance their tournament resume and preparedness.

Why be an underdog on the road, when you can be favored in a neutral venue and the win will count just as much as a road win? That's why these early season tournaments will continue to replace home & homes, and honestly I'm all for it.

eh -- we're squabbling when we don't need to. boiled down, i think the game in indy is part of his broader scheme. not his only recruiting lever, obviously, and not just to get this kid or that kid, but as part of an overall effort. we can probably agree on that. but i do think he went into lie and bitch mode about abusive IU fans to partially cover the pivot.

nope, can't do AH anymore because these accountants and office managers are busting my kids' balls too badly. sure thing, bro

i prefer it but can really take or leave the series. you're struggling for examples because it was relatively unique to have a long series like this with a real out of conference rival. again, life has gone on but too bad it went sideways due to one dbag's business plan.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Nah, AH isn't that difficult to play in. You guys had to hit a last second three to beat a freshman UK team in 2011 and I believe the John Wall team came in and won fairly easily in 2009 and that team couldn't shoot worth a damn.
It's gotta be something else, but since I'm not privy to the true reasons I can only speculate.
Why wouldn't I be here? This is a nice board with a lot of action. I never said IU (or its basketball forum) was meaningless, I just asked what UK has to gain by playing IU.
If you can't win in AH with AD and that team, when can you? If you can't beat a Crean team in a neutral setting, it definitely isn't happening in AH. IU at AH is a tough road rivalry game, and the odds are not in UK's favor as long as IU is at least semi competent. There is not a more hostile environment for UK than AH. You're just thinking too deeply on this one: Occam's razor brother, Occam's razor. It doesn't have to be something else, lol.

As I said before, I've been going to games at AH for three decades now, including rivalry games and big games. I guarantee I have more experience and knowledge of AH than any UK fan. I saw what I saw in those UK football game videos where UK fans stormed the field and freaked out. This idea that something happened out of the ordinary or beyond the behavior of UK fans at AH that night is ludicrous and as sorry of an excuse as I've ever seen.

People take their ball and go home when things don't go their way and the going gets too tough. Kentucky and Cal were totally humiliated that night on a national stage, they were going to get their butts kicked at Rupp or anywhere else by IU the following year on a national stage, and it is just too hard to win at AH with freshman when IU is at least semi-competent. Cal and UK are afraid of AH and cowards: it is what it is.

IU's got nothing to gain by playing UK. Why are you here? Bye.

If you can't win in AH with AD and that team, when can you? If you can't beat a Crean team in a neutral setting, it definitely isn't happening in AH. IU at AH is a tough road rivalry game, and the odds are not in UK's favor as long as IU is at least semi competent. There is not a more hostile environment for UK than AH. You're just thinking too deeply on this one: Occam's razor brother, Occam's razor. It doesn't have to be something else, lol.

As I said before, I've been going to games at AH for three decades now, including rivalry games and big games. I guarantee I have more experience and knowledge of AH than any UK fan. I saw what I saw in those UK football game videos where UK fans stormed the field and freaked out. This idea that something happened out of the ordinary or beyond the behavior of UK fans at AH that night is ludicrous and as sorry of an excuse as I've ever seen.

People take their ball and go home when things don't go their way and the going gets too tough. Kentucky and Cal were totally humiliated that night on a national stage, they were going to get their butts kicked at Rupp or anywhere else by IU the following year on a national stage, and it is just too hard to win at AH with freshman when IU is at least semi-competent. Cal and UK are afraid of AH and cowards: it is what it is.

IU's got nothing to gain by playing UK. Why are you here? Bye.
I stopped reading after the first few sentences. The answer to your first sentence, which was a question, is 2009. I believe UK rolled IU in AH that year.
I'll give IU credit, they played great that night. But also keep in mind, that was a freshman dominated UK team in December on an opponents home court and it took a last second Watford shot for IU to win that game.
But you need to remember what is important in cbb. It's the NCAAT, not home games in December.

Reactions: mapcatfan
I stopped reading after the first few sentences. The answer to your first sentence, which was a question, is 2009. I believe UK rolled IU in AH that year.
I'll give IU credit, they played great that night. But also keep in mind, that was a freshman dominated UK team in December on an opponents home court and it took a last second Watford shot for IU to win that game.
But you need to remember what is important in cbb. It's the NCAAT, not home games in December.
You are more than free to continue ignoring the cowardice of UK and Cal. It is normally easier to ignore and make excuses than admit. Kind of like blaming a ref for Derek Willis' defense lapse during the most important possession of the game. I'll go ahead and continue calling you all cowards.

IU beat UK a few times when UK had their NCAA issues at the end of Sutton. If IU is at least semi competent, it isn't going to be easy for UK to win at AH.

No rivalry games outside of an end of the year tournament matter: got it. I'll inform the rest of the college sporting world.

Last edited:
You do realize that 2009 was the second year of the Crean era and we a year away from just having ne player left from the previous year.

You are more than free to continue ignoring the cowardice of UK and Cal. It is normally easier to ignore and make excuses than admit. Kind of like blaming a ref for Derek Willis' defense lapse during the most important possession of the game. I'll go ahead and continue calling you all cowards.

IU beat UK a few times when UK had their NCAA issues at the end of Sutton. If IU is at least semi competent, it isn't going to be easy for UK to win at AH.

No rivalry games outside of an end of the year tournament matter: got it. I'll inform the rest of the college sporting world.
This made absolutely no sense and we are all now stupider for reading it.
FYI, that is a purposely butchered Billy Madison quote.

You do realize that 2009 was the second year of the Crean era and we a year away from just having ne player left from the previous year.
You're kidding right? Yeah, it was the 2nd year for Crean, but it was Cal's first season after Billy the idiot shredded the program and went to the NIT.
Advantage IU.
IU was at home. Advantage IU again.
According to IU fans, Crean>>>Calipari, so obviously advantage IU again.
Did UK have any advantages?

kyjeff, serious question.
How many games (per season) does kaintucky play at rupp?
Would cal rather play those at a neutral site.
I'm sure if I wasn't so dang lazy I could dig & find the answer, but you probably can tell me off the top of your pointy head.
And no, I didn't mistakenly use lower case letters. It was on purpose.

This made absolutely no sense and we are all now stupider for reading it.
FYI, that is a purposely butchered Billy Madison quote.
It makes perfect sense! You are living in a fantasy world of cowardice and excuses. Hence, you aren't capable of seeing the light, so to speak.

Coward.

The hate is strong with you.
We don't want or need you on this board so you should just leave especially with IU be so irrelevant. If you don't leave the mods should just ban you so we don't have to see your dumb post.

Also to compare our roster to yours in that game just shows you how much you really need to learn about the game of basketball.

I spent 4 years living south of Lexington and worked with UK boosters, alumni, and even one person that had a side job as an usher at Rupp just so he would always be at the games. I KNOW the deep influence the boosters had into the program prior to Pitino taking over. I was in the area during the end of Eddie Sutton's tenure. Those alumni were proud of how they cheated and got away with it. I even saw it in Lexington nightclubs and restaurants. I've posted those before and can share them again if you want me to.

From people I still know in the area, things quieted down for a while with the sanctions. Nobody wanted to be the guy that got the program in trouble again. Tubby Smith was partly unpopular according to my friends because the boosters were once again ready to have direct player contact as they had enjoyed for decades earlier. I remember thinking that Kentucky was the worst place for Calipari with boosters and alumni craving access. He had already been at 2 schools that had violations where he escaped blame. Maybe he was the perfect coach if his methods to escape blame were that good.

His connection with World Wide Wes went unchallenged by the NCAA. Knowing the booster culture in Lexington, I can easily imagine how emboldened that made those people looking for status and contact with the team.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
I don’t think UK does consider IU is a rival.
IU and UK did have a 40+ year series they played every year until the cowardice took hold and AH became too scary for UK and Cal.

Nevertheless, this rivalry, series, whatever you want to call it has no meaning. You must have found your way here by mistake. Bye bye, take care.

The cowardice and fear of AH is strong with you. Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

The rivalry doesn't matter. You have no reason to be here: bye.
Why the heck would I be afraid of AH? You really think highly of AH aren't you?
Just beat Duke this year, how about that, help a rival out wouldya.

UK fans and Calipari canceled a 40+ year rivalry because they are cowards and afraid of AH. Fact.

The IU/UK series and rivalry is meaningless, yes? IU is meaningless to you, yes? Then why are you still here? I don't get it, but bye bye! Bye now!

We don't want or need you on this board so you should just leave especially with IU be so irrelevant. If you don't leave the mods should just ban you so we don't have to see your dumb post.

Also to compare our roster to yours in that game just shows you how much you really need to learn about the game of basketball.
I was responding to his point about 2009 being Crean's first year, my response was dead on.
I realize you don't "need" me here, but do you really "need" anyone here? I'm not abusing the privelage, or at least I don't feel like I am. I'm simply responding to posts directed at me, like yours.

Good God. Just go away.
I dont know who you are
I dont know what you want
If you are looking for acceptance on this board
I can tell you that you will not find it
What I do have is a very particular set of skills
skills that I have acquired over a very long career
skills, that make me a nightmare for people like you
If you leave this board now, that will be the end of it
I will not look for you, I will not pursue you
but if you dont, and you attend a game at Assembly Hall
I will look for you
I will find you
and I will pour a beer over your head.

I

Better yet, what does UK gain by playing IU?

I don't think IU gains anything by playing UK either. Just because IU has been down for 20+ years doesn't mean they are not in the upper echelon of college basketball programs. It's fans and College Basketball in general that lose out on having 2 teams with history and are border rivals not play.

It seems Cal wants to play a lot in Indy. IU is a big border rival and if he got what he wanted they could play there yearly. So there is that. I don't see the need for UK to play in Indy for recruiting just because Indy is a hotbed for talent. They attract talent no matter where they play. I expect there is no decent venue in Ky to have such games and Indy is as close as it gets for the fans in their state. The next closest place is where? Atlanta?

You're kidding right? Yeah, it was the 2nd year for Crean, but it was Cal's first season after Billy the idiot shredded the program and went to the NIT.
Advantage IU.
IU was at home. Advantage IU again.
According to IU fans, Crean>>>Calipari, so obviously advantage IU again.
Did UK have any advantages?

Cal shreds the program every year with his one and done system. Why should year 1 be any different than year 10.

Sugar coat it all you want but UK was ranked #4 in the 2009 game and were ranked #1 in the 2011 game. In 09 IU was unranked and probably predicted to be bottom 3 in the Big 10. In 2011 IU was also unranked because of 3 years of futility.

I spent 4 years living south of Lexington and worked with UK boosters, alumni, and even one person that had a side job as an usher at Rupp just so he would always be at the games. I KNOW the deep influence the boosters had into the program prior to Pitino taking over. I was in the area during the end of Eddie Sutton's tenure. Those alumni were proud of how they cheated and got away with it. I even saw it in Lexington nightclubs and restaurants. I've posted those before and can share them again if you want me to.

From people I still know in the area, things quieted down for a while with the sanctions. Nobody wanted to be the guy that got the program in trouble again. Tubby Smith was partly unpopular according to my friends because the boosters were once again ready to have direct player contact as they had enjoyed for decades earlier. I remember thinking that Kentucky was the worst place for Calipari with boosters and alumni craving access. He had already been at 2 schools that had violations where he escaped blame. Maybe he was the perfect coach if his methods to escape blame were that good.

His connection with World Wide Wes went unchallenged by the NCAA. Knowing the booster culture in Lexington, I can easily imagine how emboldened that made those people looking for status and contact with the team.
My opinion, the things that happened at Memphis and UMass have forced Calipari to adopt procedures and standards to guard against the dirt that surrounds college basketball. He knows his every move is watched like a hawk and many people are out to get him.
He also has to make sure that his highly talented players don't allow themselves to get sucked into a position where someone can take advantage of them and bury the program. If the players are patient they will get their money in the form of an NBA contract, the stage that UK and Cal provides gives that to them.
The truth is, there is so much dirt and scum out there, there are a ton of people with some money that are looking to profit big dollars off these kids. It isn't easy to keep them away from your program.
They need to get the shoe companies the hell away from college campuses and high school/aau athletes. They're dirty.
I feel pretty confident that Calipari will make sure UK is never in the positions that UMass and Memphis were in.
It was funny reading comments posted by Louisville fans when Calipari was hired. Talking about it being just a matter of time before Cal got UK in deep trouble. Fast forward 9 years and look who's in trouble with multiple scandals.
Heck, those ULOL fans are still talking trash while their dumpster of a house is en fuego.
So, the lesson here is, don't be like UL fans.

UK fans and Calipari canceled a 40+ year rivalry because they are cowards and afraid of AH. Fact.

The IU/UK series and rivalry is meaningless, yes? IU is meaningless to you, yes? Then why are you still here? I don't get it, but bye bye! Bye now!
Man, you're really ate up about not playing UK. Jeez, sorry man, I wish there was something I could do.
I feel like the hot chick at the party, everyone wants to do (play) the hot chick/kings of cbb.
I'm honored, I really am.

Man, you're really ate up about not playing UK. Jeez, sorry man, I wish there was something I could do.
I feel like the hot chick at the party, everyone wants to do (play) the hot chick/kings of cbb.
I couldn't care less if we play UK again. If we play them fine and if not that is fine as well. There are plenty of great programs out there so IU don't need to play UK at all.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
Cal shreds the program every year with his one and done system. Why should year 1 be any different than year 10.

Sugar coat it all you want but UK was ranked #4 in the 2009 game and were ranked #1 in the 2011 game. In 09 IU was unranked and probably predicted to be bottom 3 in the Big 10. In 2011 IU was also unranked because of 3 years of futility.
Okay, but the point still stands, Crean, a coach that all of you said was >>>>>>> Calipari, had a year head start in 09 and had home court advantage in both games. He also had veteran rosters.

Good God. Just go away.
I dont know who you are
I dont know what you want
If you are looking for acceptance on this board
I can tell you that you will not find it
What I do have is a very particular set of skills
skills that I have acquired over a very long career
skills, that make me a nightmare for people like you
If you leave this board now, that will be the end of it
I will not look for you, I will not pursue you
but if you dont, and you attend a game at Assembly Hall
I will look for you
I will find you
and I will pour a beer over your head.
Ha ha, that was a great movie.

Okay, but the point still stands, Crean, a coach that all of you said was >>>>>>> Calipari, had a year head start in 09 and had home court advantage in both games. He also had veteran rosters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–10_Kentucky_Wildcats_men's_basketball_team
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–10_Indiana_Hoosiers_men's_basketball_team

So any sane person looking at these rosters could tell you it was a mismatch but you make it sound like it was a fair game. You had 4 or 5 first round players with two top 5 picks where IU had no first round picks.

I don't think IU gains anything by playing UK either. Just because IU has been down for 20+ years doesn't mean they are not in the upper echelon of college basketball programs. It's fans and College Basketball in general that lose out on having 2 teams with history and are border rivals not play.

It seems Cal wants to play a lot in Indy. IU is a big border rival and if he got what he wanted they could play there yearly. So there is that. I don't see the need for UK to play in Indy for recruiting just because Indy is a hotbed for talent. They attract talent no matter where they play. I expect there is no decent venue in Ky to have such games and Indy is as close as it gets for the fans in their state. The next closest place is where? Atlanta?
The Yum center and Freedom Hall are excellent venues in the state if Kentucky.
But look at, UK's schedule, it's absolutely brutal. Duke, Kansas, UCLA, UNC, @Louisville, Seton Hall plus SEC play. The SEC is expected to get 8 teams into the NCAAT this year. Adding another strong opponent on a home and home is too much.
What's IU's schedule look like? The BIG is way down, hopefully you guys have some resume builders.
You get duke right? Cameron indoor or AH?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–10_Kentucky_Wildcats_men's_basketball_team
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–10_Indiana_Hoosiers_men's_basketball_team

So any sane person looking at these rosters could tell you it was a mismatch but you make it sound like it was a fair game. You had 4 or 5 first round players with two top 5 picks where IU had no first round picks.
Who's fault is that? Again, Crean, who you said was way better than Cal, had home court advantage and a year head start.
UK had freshman, IU had veterans. These were December games, not March. Freshmen are still learning how to walk and chew gum at the same time in December.

Okay, I'm gonna step out and get some work done, give you guys a little bit of a break. Be back later. Peace out.

I don't get it. IU is meaningless and the IU/UK rivalry series is meaningless, and UK took its ball and went home. Yet, here you are on an IU board spending much time. Practice what you preach: bye bye! Pretend that this board is AH and leave for good: try not to pee your pants on the way out.

IU offered to play UK anywhere, and UK turned IU down. Whatever, life goes on: don't flatter yourself. I am fine with Crean kicking UK's ass on a neutral court as the last game in the series. Bye bye! Bye now! Bye Bye!

But, beggars can't be choosers. How can you demand to play at neutral sites when the state of Kentucky does not have any? A D-2 school like Bellarmine is a step down. The state of Indiana has neutral sites and can tell you to go bye bye. Even so, Fred was nice enough to permit a couple of neutral games at Indiana venues as a compromise.

I call them like I see them. Calipari and UK are cowards, plain and simple. UK and Calipari are afraid of AH: fact. Other people may let you live this down: I never will. I have honestly never before seen this type of cowardice by a rival.
He didn't demand anything. He said this is what we'll do. Your coach said this is what we will do. Neither budged so you move on. Every team ends series all the time. No news there. This site seems to obsess over it. No a big deal at all really. Some end series because they hate travel. Some hate each other. Some can't agree on times and dates. Some dictated by TV. Who really cares. There's no real reason to play if you have other games on the schedule.

You say they are cowards but that's simply your narrative. Dumbest thing in sports are when people are afraid of something. If your job is not on the line, there no reason to fear playing a team. If he's afraid of a building structure, then it must be falling down.

What would anyone be afraid of? UK plays a lot more difficult and relevant teams every single year. This year our first game is Duke and we play UL and KU among others. Many top ten teams.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT