ADVERTISEMENT

Duke vs. Kentucky in Indpls this year...

jimmygoiu

All-American
Sep 5, 2001
Champions Classic, national TV, and the number one ranked preseason game this year is being played at Bankers Life in Indianapolis this year. Kansas and Michigan State will round out the field in our state capital this year. Gosh, SBFred and Tantommy sure showed those Kentucky hillbillies that playing in Indianapolis was just not going to happen on their watch. IU took their ball and went home to Bloomington to play Chicago State. Kentucky picked up their ball and drove up to Indpls to play Duke in our recruiting backyard, and on prime time national Television. We sure showed 'em!.....

Exactly. Indiana and Fred talk a good game about being a big time program but don’t put the necessary money or effort into making that a reality. If Duke or Kentucky are playing in Indy it has to be against IU.

I'm sure I will rile a few feathers but Kansas, Duke, MSU, and Ky have been on a different level than IU for quite some time. Ky isn't playing IU in Indy, not while Calipari is there. No idea why they are playing here but these are the current big boys of the game. Not saying IU won't eventually make the leap back but they aren't there yet. And truthfully why would any of them want to include IU when it would be basically a home game for them? Playing against IU at home even when they aren't good can be dangerous.

I'm sure I will rile a few feathers but Kansas, Duke, MSU, and Ky have been on a different level than IU for quite some time. Ky isn't playing IU in Indy, not while Calipari is there. No idea why they are playing here but these are the current big boys of the game. Not saying IU won't eventually make the leap back but they aren't there yet. And truthfully why would any of them want to include IU when it would be basically a home game for them? Playing against IU at home even when they aren't good can be dangerous.

El Chopo, as usual, you cannot comprehend what we are discussing on the IU board. Choppy, you are always sloppy.

IU should have played KY in Indianapolis. Great recruiting tool where there is a lot of talent. They should have also played Kentucky in Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Philadelphia etc... Notre Dame has been doing this in football and it demonstrates great vision on how to recruit outside your area. Now it's being done to IU, Purdue, and Butler. Pride cometh before a fall.

Reactions: IUgradman

So you admit to trolling in the first sentence of your post. GTFO of here. Kentucky was willing to play IU in Indy every year but Fred insisted on a game in Assembly Hall and no deal was made. If you are going to criticize IU, at least get your ****ing facts straight.

These games are played all over the country and this year it is in Indy.

So you admit to trolling in the first sentence of your post. GTFO of here. Kentucky was willing to play IU in Indy every year but Fred insisted on a game in Assembly Hall and no deal was made. If you are going to criticize IU, at least get your ****ing facts straight.
Actually IU wanted to do both and tried to negotiate top play on a neutral court and home court. I am glad we did not bow down to UK and do what they wanted because we don't need UK to be relevant. This year we are playing Duke, UL and a few more high quality teams so we don't need UK.

Actually IU wanted to do both and tried to negotiate top play on a neutral court and home court. I am glad we did not bow down to UK and do what they wanted because we don't need UK to be relevant. This year we are playing Duke, UL and a few more high quality teams so we don't need UK.

Pretty sure you contradicted yourself here. If IU said they would play home and home, Indy or neutral site. What exactly did UK refuse to do? Did UK request a game on the moon ? He was right. IU wanted a home and home period. UK said no. UK wanted a neutral site. IU said no. End of story.

I hate this. Can’t do anything about it. Disappointed in Indy for supporting it on principle. I also understand principal doesn’t pay bills and some will make $$$$. Still really shitty for Indy to host.
Go Hoosiers! Kick Duke’s ass!

You guys do realize the Champions Classic has kicked off the College Basketball season for years now right? It's not some one-off event that Indy decided to host.

I don't see what the big deal is with Indy throwing themselves into the rotation of hosting venues.

Pretty arrogant to think that any college basketball game in Indianapolis without IU is some sort of affront.

Pretty sure you contradicted yourself here. If IU said they would play home and home, Indy or neutral site. What exactly did UK refuse to do? Did UK request a game on the moon ? He was right. IU wanted a home and home period. UK said no. UK wanted a neutral site. IU said no. End of story.
I believe there were various combinations kicked about including cycling in games in Indy, but Fred etc never wanted to have the games exclusively off campus. Cal just never wanted to come back to btown ever again.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
UK refuses to play at Assembly Hall. IU wanted to play at Assembly Hall, at UK and two neutral court games but Cal is afraid to play at AH.

UK refuses to play at Assembly Hall. IU wanted to play at Assembly Hall, at UK and two neutral court games but Cal is afraid to play at AH.

Ok. But IU had a option and refused. Not sure anyone is scared..kind of a childish word.. i will say Cal wont ever go back. He has his reasons. I have a idea why. At the end of the day. IU rebuilding..UK playing for a NC. IU probably wasn't in the position to get into a pissing match.with UK. Feel like IU lost on that exchange.

Ok. But IU had a option and refused. Not sure anyone is scared..kind of a childish word.. i will say Cal wont ever go back. He has his reasons. I have a idea why. At the end of the day. IU rebuilding..UK playing for a NC. IU probably wasn't in the position to get into a pissing match.with UK. Feel like IU lost on that exchange.
If we are so irrelevant then why do you spend so much time on our board and not you own board. I have never been to your board or any other teams board and find it very sad to see people go to other teams boards.

You guys got it all wrong. We could be playing in a game like this but instead we give our yearly welfare check to Notre Dame, Butler, and Purdue in the Crossroads Classic.

We traded Kentucky for Louisville.
We don't need them and we don't need to act like the little brother and go crawling back to them. I don't see them as a big rival in the first place because I only think rivals are teams we are competing with in our state or conference. UK is a great basketball program but I would never want IU to be anything like them in anyway so I couldn't care less if we ever play them again. There are plenty of other big programs we can play without having to bow down to UK.

This is SB Fred’s IU. RMK is the one who wanted neutral site games to begin with and we did that for years. It’s sad that Fred and Tommy B had to ruin it for the fans and players. Hopefully Archie fixes their mess.

You guys got it all wrong. We could be playing in a game like this but instead we give our yearly welfare check to Notre Dame, Butler, and Purdue in the Crossroads Classic.

We traded Kentucky for Louisville.

I enjoy the Crossroads and I'm not even from Indiana. We simply don't have the recent success to justify being in the Champions Classic.

Reactions: kkott
If we are so irrelevant then why do you spend so much time on our board and not you own board. I have never been to your board or any other teams board and find it very sad to see people go to other teams boards.

I find it sad when a grown man lays claim to a message board. I'm a sports fan. I go to many boards, because it's entertainment to talk sports with fans from other schools. Your issue is your insecurities. You live through this stuff, and believe in your mind IU is in some weird connected to you and others who love the program. I grew up in Ky. I've seen this illness before. Hate to break it to you. It's OK if you go to other boards. It's what they are for..as long as you respect others. Which you should do in the real world. You can read others opinions. And maybe express one of your own. Its OK. By the way. I am a Ky fan. Giving my opinion on a thread about Ky. I didnt make it. Just added my opinion. And i could be wrong. I never said IU was irrelevant..i said they are rebuilding. And a rebuilding IU team getting a chance to knock off possibly the 1 team in the nation, on national T.V. would of been a great opportunity. At any arena. In my opinion. IUs leadership at the time cut their nose off to spite their face. Should of seen the big picture. Now Duke is in IUs spot. Recruits and young kids in Indiana on that day. Watch Duke and Ky go at it in their home state. If one young kid thats a player. Gets influenced by seeing that. IU made a mistake. No reason IU and Ky shouldn't play at a neutral site. Never should of gotten to this point. In my opinion.

Reactions: T.M.P.
We don't need them and we don't need to act like the little brother and go crawling back to them. I don't see them as a big rival in the first place because I only think rivals are teams we are competing with in our state or conference. UK is a great basketball program but I would never want IU to be anything like them in anyway so I couldn't care less if we ever play them again. There are plenty of other big programs we can play without having to bow down to UK.

I honestly don't think anyone thinks IU would be bowing down. Its more of just communication and compromise. And yes IU does need UK. And other big programs to give them that shot to knock them off. Archie puts his system in. It starts flowing. Then IU gets the possible number 1 team in the country in UK. On national T.V. you kidding me? Of course IU needs Ky right now. Nothing wrong with that. IU needs opportunities to knock some of these big programs out. To show recruits IU competes and wins against the best. Every year Ky will be top 5 with a lot of hype. Thats 1 opportunity for IU to impress young talent. Don't let ego get in the way of growing and building a NC program. In my opinion. Ego is what got your last regime.

I enjoy the Crossroads and I'm not even from Indiana. We simply don't have the recent success to justify being in the Champions Classic.

We were asked to be in it and we turned it down because we were already doing the Crossroads Classic. See the Osterman quote in this article:

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...ll-continue-bankers-life-fieldhouse/14062431/

The original idea was to have Indiana in this thing, we said no so they replaced us with Ohio State the first year and then switched to Michigan State. And we did this so we could play Butler and Notre Dame every other year. We used to play Notre Dame all the time and Butler occasionally. I personally would gladly scrap the Crossroads Classic and just play a regular series with Notre Dame and then throw Butler a bone every now and again in exchange for playing games that would have us front and center on a national stage every year. The only people who care about the Crossroads Classic are Indiana (state of or University connected) people.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmygoiu
We were asked to be in it and we turned it down because we were already doing the Crossroads Classic. See the Osterman quote in this article:

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...ll-continue-bankers-life-fieldhouse/14062431/

The original idea was to have Indiana in this thing, we said no so they replaced us with Ohio State the first year and then switched to Michigan State. And we did this so we could play Butler and Notre Dame every other year. We used to play Notre Dame all the time and Butler occasionally. I personally would gladly scrap the Crossroads Classic and just play a regular series with Notre Dame and then throw Butler a bone every now and again in exchange for playing games that would have us front and center on a national stage every year. The only people who care about the Crossroads Classic are Indiana (state of or University connected) people.

CBS Sports Classic and Champions Classic are not the same thing. Not that I would be opposed to being in the CBS Sports Classic either.

Champions Classic, national TV, and the number one ranked preseason game this year is being played at Bankers Life in Indianapolis this year. Kansas and Michigan State will round out the field in our state capital this year. Gosh, SBFred and Tantommy sure showed those Kentucky hillbillies that playing in Indianapolis was just not going to happen on their watch. IU took their ball and went home to Bloomington to play Chicago State. Kentucky picked up their ball and drove up to Indpls to play Duke in our recruiting backyard, and on prime time national Television. We sure showed 'em!.....

I say pass on Kentucky.... there are other teams that are comparable to them. We don’t need them if they want to act like little children and take their ball home after getting beat at Assembly Hall. Especially after they lie about being cursed at, beer poured on, and assaulted at the Hall.

Reactions: snarlcakes
You guys do realize the Champions Classic has kicked off the College Basketball season for years now right? It's not some one-off event that Indy decided to host.

I don't see what the big deal is with Indy throwing themselves into the rotation of hosting venues.

Pretty arrogant to think that any college basketball game in Indianapolis without IU is some sort of affront.
You state you’re not from Indiana in a later post. I am born and raised. Arrogant or not I don’t like it and since you’re not from Indiana I don’t expect to to understand. I do understand the champions classic just not in Indy unless IU or the boilermakers are in it. I’m just a homer. Go Hoosiers!

Would love to be in the Champions. But hadn't IU already signed the contract for the Crossroads Classic? Seems like when the contract was up, they should have explored participation in the Champions.

This goes back to the Davis years but I remember Don Fischer saying why the ND series ended. When they were negotiating the next deal,. IU wanted in on playing them in football too. ND said no so Indiana ended the basketball series.

Please elaborate as to why Calipari won't play in Bloomington? I think we all know why, but I'd love to hear the "official" UK version.

And FWIW, I agree we should have agreed to a neutral or off-campus series with UK... it's too great and natural a rivalry to let slip. Just as UNC v Duke has become a phenomenon, with our combined fan bases and the inherent historical and geographic rivalry, it could benefit both programs greatly. But it's also sad that (imo) Cal's ego prevented that rivalry from happening, at least some of the time, at on-campus venues.

Lastly, I agree, I like having other program's reasonable fans come to our site to share their views and perspectives... welcome! You are one of the few, reasonable UK posters and I hope you'll continue to post.

My last thing on this is that to me college sports is for the students first and foremost so I think regular season games should be played on campus. I can see these early season tournaments being on a neutral court but if you are just playing one game against an opponent it should be on campus

Reactions: IU Hardcore
ADVERTISEMENT