ADVERTISEMENT

DST

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
So we change time Sunday and I see many states have requested that DST be made year-round. At first thought, using the old concept that the sun is overhead at noon, it seems silly. But there is no real reason we stick to that.

I don't care much that we switch to it year-round. Not getting light until 9:15 or so seems crazy, but we can adjust. I do think changing time needs to stop. We can be standard time or daylight time, but pick one and stick with it. Studies show 1) DST does not save energy 2) changing time creates some additional accidents and health risks.

I have a small preference to standard time, it feels good to get out and walk before work, but it isn't enough to complain one way or another. The change to year-round time requires the feds to approve it. If the states want DST, let's do it.

So we change time Sunday and I see many states have requested that DST be made year-round. At first thought, using the old concept that the sun is overhead at noon, it seems silly. But there is no real reason we stick to that.

I don't care much that we switch to it year-round. Not getting light until 9:15 or so seems crazy, but we can adjust. I do think changing time needs to stop. We can be standard time or daylight time, but pick one and stick with it. Studies show 1) DST does not save energy 2) changing time creates some additional accidents and health risks.

I have a small preference to standard time, it feels good to get out and walk before work, but it isn't enough to complain one way or another. The change to year-round time requires the feds to approve it. If the states want DST, let's do it.
Indiana needs to be in the central time zone.

Reactions: F.Fletch

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death . . . .

So if we switch to what, Japanese time, the sun would come up at 9PM? :).
My job requires my to work during the daytime only b/c the people who report to me work during the day time. I rarely (Thank GOD) deal with clients/vendors. I could work in the dark, so your solution is fine with me.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Well whatever keeps the sun out the longest as I woke up to an email that I may not have heat this winter.

This board doesn't produce enough hot air?

Seriously, good luck with that. I gather there aren't other NG alternatives.

Hasn't it already been proven that DST, while it may have had merits in an agricultural society, actually has negative impacts now?

Hasn't it already been proven that DST, while it may have had merits in an agricultural society, actually has negative impacts now?
I am not sure, I know they have shown the act of changing time has negative impacts. I am not sure if that carries over to year-round DST.

Well whatever keeps the sun out the longest as I woke up to an email that I may not have heat this winter.

Drill nowhere.
Shut down all pipelines.
No nukes!

c2b7ffd703e57f6572f6867ecdfba6b8.jpg

If I hit that handle on the wood, that got me an azz woopin from the old man, a few times. It was one heck of a motivator to do it properly!
I still remember the day when one of these showed up. No bounce back on a handle hit. Just an almost electric shock that started at your hands and radiated through your entire body via your spine.

dj8KhGA.jpg

I still remember the day when one of these showed up. No bounce back on a handle hit. Just an almost electric shock that started at your hands and radiated through your entire body via your spine.

dj8KhGA.jpg
I'll let ya'll go back to talking about when the sun comes up after this, sorry.
All through growing up, we would work all winter, to cut and split 25 ric for the next winter (dad, me and my bro). NOW, my father who's 74, decided to start a fire wood biz (freakin nutz!). I went and helped him last weekend and he's got quiet the setup. Just he and I, in 3 1/2 hrs split 25 ric and hardly worked up a sweat. Were was this equipment when I was growing up old man? !!

I'll let ya'll go back to talking about when the sun comes up after this, sorry.
All through growing up, we would work all winter, to cut and split 25 ric for the next winter (dad, me and my bro). NOW, my father who's 74, decided to start a fire wood biz (freakin nutz!). I went and helped him last weekend and he's got quiet the setup. Just he and I, in 3 1/2 hrs split 25 ric and hardly worked up a sweat. Were was this equipment when I was growing up old man? !!
We used to do the same. Every Sunday from mid Dec until late Feb was spent cutting wood for the following year. My nephew is selling firewood and has a splitter with an electric start engine. Even my lard ass can do it and smile.

We used to do the same. Every Sunday from mid Dec until late Feb was spent cutting wood for the following year. My nephew is selling firewood and has a splitter with an electric start engine. Even my lard ass can do it and smile.
Electric start, it picks up the piece for you, the wedge makes 6 pieces per stroke and then slides the remaining piece back to split position to stroke again. Then it unloads onto an elevator that piles it up for you. .. It's wicked cool. 3 1/2 hours we had a pile that was 14' tall and I could still walk the next day even.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT