ADVERTISEMENT

Drafted players thread

rcaulfie

Junior
Feb 17, 2006
I haven't seen any updates on here, other than the announcement that Cole Barr is returning. I thought I would post a thread where people can reply if they hear something. There is a website I follow that has a signing tracker, but really only has the first 10 rounds. On that I see Gorski signed for $1 million with the Pirates. (Slotted bonus for his pick was $1.2436.)

I haven't seen any updates on here, other than the announcement that Cole Barr is returning. I thought I would post a thread where people can reply if they hear something. There is a website I follow that has a signing tracker, but really only has the first 10 rounds. On that I see Gorski signed for $1 million with the Pirates. (Slotted bonus for his pick was $1.2436.)

Scotty Bradley signed with Blue Jays.

Tanner Gordon signed with Braves.
https://www.talkingchop.com/2019/6/...hea-langeliers-braden-shewmake-vaughn-grissom

I'm curious about this one. If the slot was $1.2M and Gorski is a junior, doesn't he have leverage? Seems if he was a senior they could low-ball you, but not if you don't have to sign. Why did they offer less and why did he sign? Other factors in the contract? Wrist injury? Does anyone have insights or thoughts?

As far as the incoming freshmen are concerned, I guess we won't find out what Reese Sharp (28th rd, Giants) is going to do until after his high school's state championship game on Monday.

I'm curious about this one. If the slot was $1.2M and Gorski is a junior, doesn't he have leverage? Seems if he was a senior they could low-ball you, but not if you don't have to sign. Why did they offer less and why did he sign? Other factors in the contract? Wrist injury? Does anyone have insights or thoughts?
I believe if they didn’t sign him the Pirates would get a compensation/supplement pick the next year, so not a terrible risk. Most likely the Pirates knew what Gorskis number was to sign prior to the year, and his number fit around that pick slot value. Most draft experts didn’t think Gorski would go that high.

Reactions: mk23
As far as the incoming freshmen are concerned, I guess we won't find out what Reese Sharp (28th rd, Giants) is going to do until after his high school's state championship game on Monday.
I just saw a quote from yesterday by Reese Sharp on his being drafted in the 28th round that was pretty interesting. Here it is:

“I thought it would be somewhere between the 35th and 40th rounds,” Sharp said. “I was surprised. I feel like it’s 50-50 (if I sign). Whatever happens, happens.”

I just saw a quote from yesterday by Reese Sharp on his being drafted in the 28th round that was pretty interesting. Here it is:

“I thought it would be somewhere between the 35th and 40th rounds,” Sharp said. “I was surprised. I feel like it’s 50-50 (if I sign). Whatever happens, happens.”
If he throws 95, I really hope he sticks. Sounds exactly like the kind of pitcher Coach Mercer was talking about in his postseason presser.

Reactions: mjhoosier

Anybody know what bonus a 28th rounder might expect?

Anybody know what bonus a 28th rounder might expect?
Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but players selected toward the end of the 10th receive a slot value of around $142,000 as a signing bonus. In the rounds after the 10th, teams are given a budget limit (established by MLB) of $125,000 to sign the rest of their picks. I'm not sure on this, but that is how I believe it works.

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but players selected toward the end of the 10th receive a slot value of around $142,000 as a signing bonus. In the rounds after the 10th, teams are given a budget limit (established by MLB) of $125,000 to sign the rest of their picks. I'm not sure on this, but that is how I believe it works.

You're right, but that 'slot value' business is very misleading, according to the materials I've been looking at.

Many of the 2017 9th & 10th round picks signed for bonuses between $1000 & $10000, while others get $140000 or $150000. Basically, if a 9th or 10th round draft pick has no leverage, you can screw him and give more slot $ to other 1-10 round players who have more leverage.

And......apparently lower pick HS stars like our Mr. Sharp sometimes have a lot of leverage, depending on what $ the drafting team has left. One story mentioned that a 39th round HS sr got a $250000 signing bonus, and a 7th round college draftee who had used up his college eligibility got $1000. I guess that's one reason that college players will almost always leave after their jr year if they are a decently high pick.

One other story did say, however, that 25th+ round HS srs will typically be placed at a lower level that similarly drafted college players......and that basically they get eaten up frequently by the system if they don't immediately sign. So.....my take on the Reece Sharp pick is don't go young man unless you get a damn good signing bonus. And the level of the signing bonus is as very arbitrary..........

Reactions: ptrich
You're right, but that 'slot value' business is very misleading, according to the materials I've been looking at.

Many of the 2017 9th & 10th round picks signed for bonuses between $1000 & $10000, while others get $140000 or $150000. Basically, if a 9th or 10th round draft pick has no leverage, you can screw him and give more slot $ to other 1-10 round players who have more leverage.

And......apparently lower pick HS stars like our Mr. Sharp sometimes have a lot of leverage, depending on what $ the drafting team has left. One story mentioned that a 39th round HS sr got a $250000 signing bonus, and a 7th round college draftee who had used up his college eligibility got $1000. I guess that's one reason that college players will almost always leave after their jr year if they are a decently high pick.

One other story did say, however, that 25th+ round HS srs will typically be placed at a lower level that similarly drafted college players......and that basically they get eaten up frequently by the system if they don't immediately sign. So.....my take on the Reece Sharp pick is don't go young man unless you get a damn good signing bonus. And the level of the signing bonus is as very arbitrary..........
Shroom: Well stated. My nephew was a college senior signee with the twins. He told me he had no leverage because he was a senior sign and they knew he would play for almost nothing to get the shot, which he did. Played three years of minor ball before he was released. At least he has a baseball card. Huge Grin!

Reactions: ptrich and mk23
Shroom: Well stated. My nephew was a college senior signee with the twins. He told me he had no leverage because he was a senior sign and they knew he would play for almost nothing to get the shot, which he did. Played three years of minor ball before he was released. At least he has a baseball card. Huge Grin!
Oh ya and a college degree.

MLB teams have “pool” money, the Giants are #14 of 30 teams with 8.714 million pool bonus money. Of the Giants first 10 picks, they took only 2 college seniors in the 9th and 10th rounds. The first round slot value pick for them is 4.74 million, pretty much half of their pool money.

So just by those numbers alone, Reese Sharp should go to school and boost his stock. I don’t think the Giants are willing to sign him at 500k to 1 million, which is what every HS kid should command at minimum to go out of HS. The smart choice is college.

MLB teams have “pool” money, the Giants are #14 of 30 teams with 8.714 million pool bonus money. Of the Giants first 10 picks, they took only 2 college seniors in the 9th and 10th rounds. The first round slot value pick for them is 4.74 million, pretty much half of their pool money.

So just by those numbers alone, Reese Sharp should go to school and boost his stock. I don’t think the Giants are willing to sign him at 500k to 1 million, which is what every HS kid should command at minimum to go out of HS. The smart choice is college.
Sharp's high school career came to an end tonight as his University High team won the 1A state championship 4-1 over Washington Township. Needless to say, his decision will probably come pretty quick.

It gets more complicated.......as I understand it:

The bonus pool applies only to rounds 1-10.

If a player in round 1-10 does not sign, his slotted value goes back into the pool to be used for someone who does sign.

Also, you can pay a player in rounds 11-40 up to $125000 as a signing bonus w/o penalty. Anything more than that is subtracted from the pool for picks 1-10.

One would think $125000 would be chump change for the SF Giants........probably sounds like a lot to Reese Sharp.

The interesting point of the article I read was that HS players are more frequently started out in Class A ball and discarded when they don't produce........while if he plays 2 years of college ball, he might start out at a higher minor league level and be physically and mentally more prepared for the challenge. So......if he pays college ball for 2 years, even if he signs for the same $125000 he might be better off in the long run.......

On the other hand, it appears that LOTS of guys drafted in rounds 9 & 10 sign for $1000-$10000......what would be interesting to know, but is not interesting enough for me to look up, is how many of those guys are college srs .v. college jrs v. HS draftees.

And a hell of a lot of stories, I'm sure. While I'm sure he was quite disappointed at the time, I bet he wouldn't trade those 3 years now for 3 more years of desk duties.........
He was NAIA first team all american. Lead the nation w 471 batting average as senior. Played at Birmingham Southern. Twins brought him to Atlanta where he hit for four straight hours to prove the 471 was not just poor competition.
Proud of the boy. Now married with two kids and works in medical appliance business and makes a good living.

Reactions: jb17 and mk23

It gets more complicated.......as I understand it:

The bonus pool applies only to rounds 1-10.

If a player in round 1-10 does not sign, his slotted value goes back into the pool to be used for someone who does sign.

Also, you can pay a player in rounds 11-40 up to $125000 as a signing bonus w/o penalty. Anything more than that is subtracted from the pool for picks 1-10.

One would think $125000 would be chump change for the SF Giants........probably sounds like a lot to Reese Sharp.

The interesting point of the article I read was that HS players are more frequently started out in Class A ball and discarded when they don't produce........while if he plays 2 years of college ball, he might start out at a higher minor league level and be physically and mentally more prepared for the challenge. So......if he pays college ball for 2 years, even if he signs for the same $125000 he might be better off in the long run.......

On the other hand, it appears that LOTS of guys drafted in rounds 9 & 10 sign for $1000-$10000......what would be interesting to know, but is not interesting enough for me to look up, is how many of those guys are college srs .v. college jrs v. HS draftees.
Correct, slot values are just a general guide for prospects of what to expect money wise rounds 1-10. We all know that people sign for well below slot value. Simply put, teams get to use the pool money how they want with all their draft picks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT