ADVERTISEMENT

Doyel's Article - Serious Overreaction

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...iers-play-like-directional-program/962871001/

I'm super upset about last night. And, many of the things Doyel said are absolutely true.

But, please, please, have a little perspective.....Arch has been here ten minutes and our major paper is already second-guessing him? Come on. Really ridiculous.
Archie was not on the top of my wish list as coaches for IU but I am sure going to give him a few years to see what he can do.

If we are going to play the game what if so and so had been the coach, do they get to bring in their own imaginary roster or would they have CTC's roster?

I thought the article was pretty good. In 53 hrs Archie picked up both his first signature win and his first signature loss. The team gets up for big Ames like a directional school and can't meet the bell for others.

Last night a roster full of kids that would have killed to play for IU came in and wanted to win. IU Central clearly could not be bothered.

I hope they were running stairs by. 11:00.

Free pass for first year no matter what, but if I were CAM, I'ld have some asses hanging from the rafters after last night.... And they might never come down. I'ld walk through the replay of that game for each player and give pos or neg pts for their actions. The ones with the lowest scores would find some long term pine time or the option to leave the team. What a shame. I'ld rather see walk-ons playing their hearts out... Than scholarship players loafing it on defense.
BTW... Screw the IndyStar... Everytime I go to their site... I get bombarded by popups...

Reactions: BigMobe
https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...iers-play-like-directional-program/962871001/

I'm super upset about last night. And, many of the things Doyel said are absolutely true.

But, please, please, have a little perspective.....Arch has been here ten minutes and our major paper is already second-guessing him? Come on. Really ridiculous.

Doyel's a dick, but I don't see anything inaccurate or unfair about that article. Our guys play like a butt-hurt middle school team.

I thought the article was pretty good. In 53 hrs Archie picked up both his first signature win and his first signature loss. The team gets up for big Ames like a directional school and can't meet the bell for others.

Last night a roster full of kids that would have killed to play for IU came in and wanted to win. IU Central clearly could not be bothered.

same players, same attitudes.....I had hoped that CAM would be able to change some attitudes, but I see little evidence that is the case.

Reactions: IUgradman
I've said before that it is going to be a 3 year rebuild. Allow Archie to get 2 classes of his own in and flush the leftover Crean crap and we'll be fine.

Reactions: mazz and IU40IU
Stupidity.
We're three to five year's away. From where we all want to be.
It should be incremental plusses each year though.
Right now. We're getting zero out Crean' s last class. This team is in a big transition period.
Great wins.
Bad losses.

same players, same attitudes.....I had hoped that CAM would be able to change some attitudes, but I see little evidence that is the case.

Morgan and Davis seemed disinterested from the tip. Rojo striated out interested then lost interest by halftime, I watched Archie rip the team during the Iowa game and it worked. Didn't see that last night.

I know you expect the IU Star to constantly pander to IU basketball. IU basketball owns the state media. But that game last night, did you expect the royal treatment? You lost by 20 to Indiana State earlier at home. Then you lose by 20 to Ft. Wayne at home. Are some of you really giving a free pass to Miller like you did Crean for 2 seasons? There is talent on this current team. Morgan looks like a stud. I don't know what has happened to Johnson but everyone was really high on him coming into the season. They have played some teams really well. That egg last night is on Miller. They were not ready to play! You deserve better than what you got last night.

Thanks for your concern.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Hell, Scott, besides Billy Donovan who would have been better? Clearly better.

Bennett and Marshall. I personally would have rolled the dice on Collins, before Archie, but he admittedly didn’t have a long enough track record to be clearly better. With that said I am not concerned with Archie and am not going to make any predictions of how good of a coach he is after this year. He will get 3 years and then I will either love him or hate him:)

Hell, Scott, besides Billy Donovan who would have been better? Clearly better.

Bennett and Marshall. I personally would have rolled the dice on Collins, before Archie, but he admittedly didn’t have a long enough track record to be clearly better. With that said I am not concerned with Archie and am not going to make any predictions of how good of a coach he is after this year. He will get 3 years and then I will either love him or hate him:)
What the hell has Collins done?

I know you expect the IU Star to constantly pander to IU basketball. IU basketball owns the state media. But that game last night, did you expect the royal treatment? You lost by 20 to Indiana State earlier at home. Then you lose by 20 to Ft. Wayne at home. Are some of you really giving a free pass to Miller like you did Crean for 2 seasons? There is talent on this current team. Morgan looks like a stud. I don't know what has happened to Johnson but everyone was really high on him coming into the season. They have played some teams really well. That egg last night is on Miller. They were not ready to play! You deserve better than what you got last night.

I agree with the Boiler here. We've gone back and forth here about how depleted this roster is but we have enough to hang with Duke, Louisville and beat ND. We should have enough talent to beat ISU and IUPFW at home. There is some major disconnect in that locker room and it's up to the staff to get them up for these games. There was zero effort last night. That's preparation or motivation. Part of Archie's charge is to get these guys heads screwed on right.

I saw enough of Miller at Dayton to know that this guy can coach. However, he's got to find some kind of psychological hot button with this particular group of guys to get them to perform and that is up to him. The built-in excuse of "Crean's players" only has so much shelf life . It's still up to the current coach to challenge the roster and these are his his guys now. It's not like they just all met last night.

One can argue that the kids just simply don't buy in or listen. Well, I'm of the opinion that it is up to the coach to mentally transform the team as well over the course of the season.

Yeah. Dumb. I think Archie is the right guy, despite that piss poor showing last night. I highly doubt he coached his players to do what they were doing. He needs time to get HIS guys. He did the right thing working to keep everybody, because that allows some reasonable class balance and we would have been even worse off. But let’s not fool ourselves to think he won’t be replacing guys when he has an alternative. We just don’t have the J&J’s right now.

Don’t you guys realize ND is horrible this year?????

Why are you still so butt hurt about IU getting more coverage than Purdue. You should just get use to it because it won't ever change unless you guys actually win some championships. They will cover what the people want and there is way more IU fans around Indiana so they will listen to their customers.

What the hell has Collins done?

Is google not working for you? He just took Northwestern to the tourney, for the first time, is one thing he has done. I already inferred he didn’t have a better resume than Archie. I personally think he is really good coach. It’s cool if you disagree.

Go ahead. Let them dump on us. It’s the best way for that sh**ty Gannett rag to sell their product and keep turds like Varvel employed.

Doyel should be calling for Fred Glass to be dismissed. You fire the guy who hires the crappy coaches. That is what Nebraska did. That is what Tennessee did.

The only thing we know about Coach Miller at this point of his IU coaching career is that he is not the miracle worker we were unrealistically hoping for. I would like to know what Crean's recruits are saying about the new coach to their friends on campus. Does anyone here know of anyone on campus now that might be privy to such conversation? That will go a long way in knowing what direction our program might be headed under the new tutelage of Coach Miller. Is he a motivator to his players? Is he of great coaching mind and a constant student of the game? Does he have the ability to motivate recruits and their parents to believing he is the one to get the most out of their abilities, whether it be those with NBA aspirations or those just wanting a favorable college basketball experience.

The IU basketball program has been in a state of turmoil for quite some time now. Recruits like to see stability in a program, that way they know exactly what to expect. People inherently don't like uncertainly and right now that uncertainty looms large in the state that Indiana University basketball has put itself in. I hate Purdue as much as the next guy but say what you want about Purdue not having the banners but banners aren't everything.

Reactions: travlinhoosier

It's ok to be skeptical. I go back and forth on him. I want him to do well. I think he will do well. I wonder why he doesn't like to do certain things like switch on defense.

And let's be honest, Tom didn't leave him with a roster full of studs.

I hope Coach Miller turns it around. I think he will. But I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

Reactions: fpeaugh
The only thing we know about Coach Miller at this point of his IU coaching career is that he is not the miracle worker we were unrealistically hoping for. I would like to know what Crean's recruits are saying about the new coach to their friends on campus. Does anyone here know of anyone on campus now that might be privy to such conversation? That will go a long way in knowing what direction our program might be headed under the new tutelage of Coach Miller. Is he a motivator to his players? Is he of great coaching mind and a constant student of the game? Does he have the ability to motivate recruits and their parents to believing he is the one to get the most out of their abilities, whether it be those with NBA aspirations or those just wanting a favorable college basketball experience.

The IU basketball program has been in a state of turmoil for quite some time now. Recruits like to see stability in a program, that way they know exactly what to expect. People inherently don't like uncertainly and right now that uncertainty looms large in the state that Indiana University basketball has put itself in. I hate Purdue as much as the next guy but say what you want about Purdue not having the banners but banners aren't everything.
I don’t understand how a good coach can lose to a low major @home by 20. With IU having superior talent

It's ok to be skeptical. I go back and forth on him. I want him to do well. I think he will do well. I wonder why he doesn't like to do certain things like switch on defense.

And let's be honest, Tom didn't leave him with a roster full of studs.

I hope Coach Miller turns it around. I think he will. But I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.
He has more talent than ISu and Fort Wayne. This is the second major embarrassing loss.

He was right that we do not have to see the Scott brothers again. Those guys have a lot of bragging they can tell to their grandkids someday.

However I really expected Miller to get more out of the talent he has on this roster. Thats been the most disappointing thing IMO. This current roster along with the recent decade prove rankings and raw talent are only a starting block. [/QUOTE said:
I wonder what talent you're referring to? I see a roster with, honestly, not much talent at all. I think that Morgan, Davis and Johnson are very talented. Outside of that I just don't see it.

We have two pg's that are physically gifted but just flat out play stupid.

Smith will be good, i think, eventually he he has no position.

The rest? Meh.

I don’t understand how a good coach can lose to a low major @home by 20. With IU having superior talent
Well, for starters Ft. Wayne played with more energy. Ft. Wayne players performed like they had a chip on their shoulders and something to prove. Yes, some of that is inherent in a player's makeup while a greater part of that lies in coaching the players to feel this way. I would also like to know what Archie said to his wife last night on the drive home but that is even more difficult than knowing what the players have to say to their confidants. People are talking.

Well, for starters Ft. Wayne played with more energy. Ft. Wayne players performed like they had a chip on their shoulders and something to prove. Yes, some of that is inherent in a player's makeup while a greater part of that lies in coaching the players to feel this way. I would also like to know what Archie said to his wife last night on the drive home but that is even more difficult than knowing what the players have to say to their confidants. People are talking.
Point being now way last night and the ISU game should have happened.

Why are you still so butt hurt about IU getting more coverage than Purdue. You should just get use to it because it won't ever change unless you guys actually win some championships. They will cover what the people want and there is way more IU fans around Indiana so they will listen to their customers.
Did I complain? How dare you say I'm "butt hurt". You don't even know me. Did I say something that struck a nerve? You haven't won a championship in over 30 years. Still resting on those laurels I guess.
I stated my opinion and as usual you find it necessary to attack me. What did I say that wasn't true?
Last night's game is on Miller. They've shown they can play at a high level and they weren't ready to play!
This is directed at him. Why take it out on me? You should be upset with Miller and the team for that one.

Reactions: bnsummers
He has more talent than ISu and Fort Wayne. This is the second major embarrassing loss.
If the talented team always wins then why do you see so many upsets in the early round of the tournament. Duke losing to a 15 seed or a Kansas losing to a Bucknell doesn't happen if it is solely about the most talent winning games.

Did I complain? How dare you say I'm "butt hurt". You don't even know me. Did I say something that struck a nerve? You haven't won a championship in over 30 years. Still resting on those laurels I guess.
I stated my opinion and as usual you find it necessary to attack me. What did I say that wasn't true?
Last night's game is on Miller. They've shown they can play at a high level and they weren't ready to play!
This is directed at him. Why take it out on me? You should be upset with Miller and the team for that one.
Calling the paper IU Star

If the talented team always wins then why do you see so many upsets in the early round of the tournament. Duke losing to a 15 seed or a Kansas losing to a Bucknell doesn't happen if it is solely about the most talent winning games.
Superior coach, at home and superior talent shouldn’t lose by 20-30 at home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT