ADVERTISEMENT

Doyel article - Indy Star

IUPaterade724

Senior
Oct 30, 2006
https://amp.indystar.com/amp/3201653002

Couple interesting thoughts from the article.

" Romeo’s draft stock is sliding — once seen as a top-five pick in the 2019 NBA draft, he’s now projected to go 10th overall by ESPN, and as low as 20th by Sports Illustrated — and that’s no mock-draft mirage. That’s real, for this reason: Romeo isn’t ready for the NBA, and I don’t mean physically or skill wise."

"... so believe what you want, but two different NBA execs have told me they’ve watched Romeo’s freshman season unfold in dismay."

"What NBA scouts are having difficulty reconciling is Romeo’s lack of killer instinct, which is a nice way of saying: his passiveness. The way he too often stands in the corner, no doubt doing what he has been coached to do, and watching."

Pulling no punches with this article after the first few paragraphs.

" Romeo’s draft stock is sliding — once seen as a top-five pick in the 2019 NBA draft, he’s now projected to go 10th overall by ESPN, and as low as 20th by Sports Illustrated — and that’s no mock-draft mirage. That’s real, for this reason: Romeo isn’t ready for the NBA, and I don’t mean physically or skill wise."

"... so believe what you want, but two different NBA execs have told me they’ve watched Romeo’s freshman season unfold in dismay."

"What NBA scouts are having difficulty reconciling is Romeo’s lack of killer instinct, which is a nice way of saying: his passiveness. The way he too often stands in the corner, no doubt doing what he has been coached to do, and watching."

Doyel touted the abilities of Cem Dinc .....

https://csnbbs.com/thread-114611.html

‘Nuff said.

It’s complete bullshit that Romeo had to go to college. It’s not protecting him from anything, he’s actually lost millions by going to college and falling in the draft. Now if he blows all his money that’s his fault, his parents filed bankruptcy for God’s sake. Quit prostituting these kids and let them go pro, ridiculous. If my 18 yr old son was given a $million dollar job from Tesla I’m sure as hell not sending him to college, and take your self righteous education crap somewhere else I don’t want to hear it!

The choice is clear. Do you want to play off and on in the G league next year or play major college basketball next year and get drafted higher the following year. He won't play a lot in the NBA next year. He will have to play to improve. G league or Europe? A lot of current NBA players have had to do it. This is bad draft also and he is falling.

Everybody seems to know an anonymous NBA exec or scout that has provided them with a insider's unique insight on Romeo's future. Doyel has even taken it upon himself to counsel Romeo's father on his discoveries.

Doyel should not be badgering players parents about his opinions on a kid. Romeo seems like a great kid that needs more time to develop. Staying in school one more year would be his best choice for mental development. You learn how to lead in college not the pros. Look at Lebron and Kobe. Horrible leaders. They didn’t go to college. James Harden and Steph Curry played multiple years in college. I think they’re just fine.

Reactions: CriticArisen
From what I heard he has been enjoying himself too much at the expense of some of his teammates.
These rumors are all over Btown...character was why I liked his recruitment...now I dont know what to think, I have friends who say he is an ass...

Rumor that he moved in on Justin Smith's girlfriend and that blew up the team dynamic. That is why things went to shit after a decent start and it is why Smith and he did not appear to be on the same page for most of 2019. Take it for what it is worth but Langford appears to have the same reputation that Luke Recker had when I was on campus.
That would make sense, but shouldn’t a coach fix that???? You know what I mean??? Bros before hoes!

Reactions: Lucy01
Rumor that he moved in on Justin Smith's girlfriend and that blew up the team dynamic. That is why things went to shit after a decent start and it is why Smith and he did not appear to be on the same page for most of 2019. Take it for what it is worth but Langford appears to have the same reputation that Luke Recker had when I was on campus.
If that kind of pettiness destroyed the team Archie should have taken those two (Smith/Romeo) and make them volunteer together at like the cancer center for children, where they could stop being such assholes and b a little more humble.

I remember 20 years ago the Mavs had to send a posse to Germany to convince dirk to come after they drafted him. He was also very passive and didn't think he could hang in the NBA yet. He finally came and had a rough rookie year. What a bust of a draft pick all the experts claimed. LOL. His 2nd year was outstanding and 20 years later he now has scored more NBA points than Wilt.

Romeo does seem to have a quiet passive personality. That is probably more of a reason to stay another year in college than even working on his basketball skills which he can probably do better as a pro. Stay and develop some leadership skills and mature. Hopefully, the theme of interviews at the NBA camps will be he isn't mentally ready and returns to IU. Then again, what if romeo has a good camp. NBA scouts and execs have differing opinions that change. I'd like to know who these 2 NBA execs are. Are they from the Hornets and Cavs or from the Celtics and Spurs? They also left an out potentially blaming it on doing what he is coached to do.

These rumors are all over Btown...character was why I liked his recruitment...now I dont know what to think, I have friends who say he is an ass...

I don’t know about Romeo, but I’ve not only heard that about certain players over the years, but I’ve also seen it first-hand, both before, during, and after my time as a student in Btown.

I’ll leave the assholes off the list, but some of the coolest, most down-to-earth guys to ever come through IU, that I had the pleasure of personally knowing were Todd Lindeman, Michael Lewis, Dane Fife, and DJ White. Oh, and Antwaan Randle-El...easily the nicest IU student-athlete I ever met.

I had someone reach out to me and say that might not be 100% accurate. So I deleted my post. You can do what you want, but I think we should edit our convo to avoid potentially spreading a rumor that may not be true.

I know nothing about what happened. I lived across the hall from a very prominent player in the day. Young ladies coming by throwing themselves at IU players they didn't even know. It happens at all hours of the night. That would be hard to turn down. He may have helped Justin find out about her.

That would make sense, but shouldn’t a coach fix that???? You know what I mean??? Bros before hoes!

Doyel was way out of line approaching and speaking with Tim Langford. He is a clickbait columnist for a trash rag paper with no basis to pontificate on what a player should do.

It’s complete bullshit that Romeo had to go to college. It’s not protecting him from anything, he’s actually lost millions by going to college and falling in the draft. Now if he blows all his money that’s his fault, his parents filed bankruptcy for God’s sake. Quit prostituting these kids and let them go pro, ridiculous. If my 18 yr old son was given a $million dollar job from Tesla I’m sure as hell not sending him to college, and take your self righteous education crap somewhere else I don’t want to hear it!

They don't have to go to college, there are other options like the G-League, sit out a year to train, or they can play at their local YMCA league.

I know nothing about what happened. I lived across the hall from a very prominent player in the day. Young ladies coming by throwing themselves at IU players they didn't even know. It happens at all hours of the night. That would be hard to turn down. He may have helped Justin find out about her.

In that respect I’m lucky I wasn’t an IU b-ball player. I’d have been dead a long time ago from some combination of STDs. That many hot chicks throwing themselves at you...

The choice is clear. Do you want to play off and on in the G league next year or play major college basketball next year and get drafted higher the following year. He won't play a lot in the NBA next year. He will have to play to improve. G league or Europe? A lot of current NBA players have had to do it. This is bad draft also and he is falling.
His decision is probably already made, but is it worth staying another year to prove he can go left and shoot from outside? It could mean instead of getting drafted 15 -20 by a decent team, he might get drafted top 5 by a bad team.

The risk of injury and the possibility that he still doesn't satisfy his critics with another year makes it unlikely he will return. I try to find a scenario where it is better for him to stay. The only reason to stay is if he likes college or wants to earn nigher honors and awards.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
It was insane. The guy I'm talking about wasn't even looking for it that much. I remember a young lady coming over in a Halloween outfit.

In that respect I’m lucky I wasn’t an IU b-ball player. I’d have been dead a long time ago from some combination of STDs. That many hot chicks throwing themselves at you...

Romeo reminds me of James Blackmon. The longer he played in the Big Ten, the more exposed he became. Romeo better watch out or he may have the same type of NBA career... virtually non-existent.

Since when doe someone "learn" to be an alpha? You either are or you aren't. Typical BS clickbait article from Doyel.

Romeo reminds me of James Blackmon. The longer he played in the Big Ten, the more exposed he became. Romeo better watch out or he may have the same type of NBA career... virtually non-existent.
Romeo is superior in every regard to James Blackmon jr. He may not be ready to play major minutes in the NBA right now, but he will be a very good player in that league in a few short years.

Romeo is superior in every regard to James Blackmon jr. He may not be ready to play major minutes in the NBA right now, but he will be a very good player in that league in a few short years.

Based on his domination of short high school kids in southern Indiana or his uncanny ability to drive right, jump into traffic and hope for a foul? Sorry, that was a d*ck comment I know, but he hasn't done anything in college to show that he will have a good NBA career, or any NBA career for that matter.

Based on his domination of short high school kids in southern Indiana or his uncanny ability to drive right, jump into traffic and hope for a foul? Sorry, that was a d*ck comment I know, but he hasn't done anything in college to show that he will have a good NBA career, or any NBA career for that matter.
Don’t question old pussycat69 he’s coached high school basketball for 35 years!

Not trying to be a wise-ass, but asking a serious question. After his freshman year at IU would you have said Victor Oladipo was going to have a good NBA career ?

Not trying to be a wise-ass, but asking a serious question. After his freshman year at IU would you have said Victor Oladipo was going to have a good NBA career ?
No but even my ignorant weak willed mind knew that James Blackmon And Jay Edwards wouldn’t have good NBA careers

Langford’s future NBA success will be dependent on work ethic. Needs to work on his 3point shot (fixable) and his ability to drive left (fixable). Despite those issues which made him “easier” to defend, he was still 6th in scoring in the B1G as a freshman

Reactions: IUPaterade724

Predicting an NBA career at that point? No, and it’s a ridiculous question. I can tell you after watching Vic play in one game I could tell he had a lot of heart, drive and toughness and was going to be a special player at least for Indiana. Thoughts of him as a pro came a little later.

No but even my ignorant weak willed mind knew that James Blackmon And Jay Edwards wouldn’t have good NBA careers
I wasn't responding to you and you completely missed the point of the question, but I'm not surprised at either your lack of comprehension or your inability to restrain from comment. Now you need to go back and have some of your other usernames "like" your reply.

I wasn't responding to you and you completely missed the point of the question, but I'm not surprised at either your lack of comprehension or your inability to restrain from comment. Now you need to go back and have some of your other usernames "like" your reply.

That’s how I keep my likes high. I have 27 accounts here.

Don’t question old pussycat69 he’s coached high school basketball for 35 years!
You are trying to make fun of poster’s usernames like everyone does to you victimcub! Keep trying, you will get better loserbear. Might even stimulate a few brain cells if you can come up with a good one. Try one with my username...please? I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT