ADVERTISEMENT

Don't ask CAM about "load management"

You ascertained all of that from his reaction to a question? Must have been a psychology major!

He obviously was not familiar with the term and was irked at the reporter for using an NBA term. Pretty simple to me.

Care to explain your interpretation that he was mad and is feeling the heat?

Well this is a man that's had to sit around for a f'ing year with a f'ing 8-12 record in this f'ing league!!! He's not here to f around this week and probably didn't appreciate the stupid question.

CAM was professional in his response to a ridiculous question, yet quietly showed his displeasure to the question.

Hope it’s ok to post a YouTube link. Right at the 10 minute mark.

To be honest, this seriously looks like someone that literally knows they're on the hot seat … what is with the sweating? His demeanor is not confidence inspiring. I want him to succeed, but this is a bad look

Reactions: Tegray1
To be honest, this seriously looks like someone that literally knows they're on the hot seat … what is with the sweating? His demeanor is not confidence inspiring. I want him to succeed, but this is a bad look
*eyeroll* ...

Reactions: IUPaterade724
You ascertained all of that from his reaction to a question? Must have been a psychology major!

He obviously was not familiar with the term and was irked at the reporter for using an NBA term. Pretty simple to me.

He was familiar with the term, because he joked about Doc Rivers right after he finished playing like he didn't.

Then he lied about not using load management. Phin was on minute restrictions in the exhibition and season opener.

I'd guess Miller thought it was stupid to ask that question about Davis, because Davis had plenty of physical tools but he is now the 5th guy in the big rotation, despite being a highly rated senior.

Miller's probably mad because he can't just say, "no, he didn't play because he sucks." That's my hot take.

He was familiar with the term, because he joked about Doc Rivers right after he finished playing like he didn't.

Then he lied about not using load management. Phin was on minute restrictions in the exhibition and season opener.

I'd guess Miller thought it was stupid to ask that question about Davis, because Davis had plenty of physical tools but he is now the 5th guy in the big rotation, despite being a highly rated senior.

Miller's probably mad because he can't just say, "no, he didn't play because he sucks." That's my hot take.

Calling him a liar is a strong accusation.

There's a difference between telling a lie and being a liar.

He said what he said. I'm not bent out of shape by it. There was probably a point, like to suggest De'Ron stop feeling sorry for himself and play harder.

There is a difference between what the Drs allow and what they were talking about.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I don't know who that reporter was, but he won't make that mistake again.

I'm not impressed by anyone being a jerk or obtuse to someone doing their job. I guess he didn't like the term, but I didn't have any trouble understanding what was meant, nor did he. If he's frustrated or upset with anyone, my guess it it's DD, don't take it out on a reporter doing their job, unless the guy has a history w Coach.
Pfft.... lmao

I don't know why this is being debated, it's semantics.

Had the reporter simply asked about DDs minutes and asked if it had anything to do with being or not being in game shape, or asked if the lack of minutes had to do with performance Archie would have simply answered the question. I like Archie and don't really care one way or another about how he answered the question. For whatever reason, he took exception to the phrase when he knew damn well what he was being asked.

Move along there's nothing to see here. DDs performance was sub par. Race is a beast on the boards and DD is going to be relegated to bench minutes.

Agreed w everything until the ‘because he (Deron) sucks...’

Deron is who I want in the game when the other team has a bug guy w 2 fouls in 1st half, or an early 3rd in second half etc.
Deron has a special strength - scoring down low, and making it seem easy. Let him score all day or get fouled trying to stop him!

Now - Deron isnt going to lead the highlights of dunks and oops like Justin Smith(who most of you have dogged the last two years as uncoachable-Crean kid’) might, or get up and down the court for 8+ min at a time tirelessly...
But when we need to draw a foul, or must have 2 points...I’d expect to see Deron on the court. Maybe late in games he and Race, or someone, would sub offense/defense etc...

And there is a difference between minute restrictions and load management. One is used to ease someone back into game shape so they don’t hurt themselves or the team. The other is used to sit healthy guys during non significant times of the season so they can be fresh for the playoffs.

You decide which is which. I agree with Arch. There is no load management in college basketball, because there are no long term contracts or investments to protect.

He said what he said. I'm not bent out of shape by it. There was probably a point, like to suggest De'Ron stop feeling sorry for himself and play harder.

And there is a difference between minute restrictions and load management. One is used to ease someone back into game shape so they don’t hurt themselves or the team. The other is used to sit healthy guys during non significant times of the season so they can be fresh for the playoffs.

You decide which is which. I agree with Arch. There is no load management in college basketball, because there are no long term contracts or investments to protect.

NCAA also doesn't play the schedule. This was an undereducated question where the reporter thought he was being clever.

Hmmm, Webster's defines liar as

"LIA'R, noun [from lie.] 1. A person who knowingly utters falsehood; one who declares to another as a fact what he knows to be not true, and with an intention to deceive him. The uttering of falsehood by mistake, and without an intention to deceive, does not constitute one a liar."

Hmmm, Webster's defines liar as

"LIA'R, noun [from lie.] 1. A person who knowingly utters falsehood; one who declares to another as a fact what he knows to be not true, and with an intention to deceive him. The uttering of falsehood by mistake, and without an intention to deceive, does not constitute one a liar."
Right. So if you believe that Archie stated a falsehood, but did so without the intent to deceive, but instead with some other intent, like to motivate a player, then he told a lie but isn't a liar.

Everyone has lied at some point in their life. Most people are not liars, though.

I think you've created a distinction without a difference. "Fresh" is just code for "not dealing with nagging injuries."

Did you see it? He embarrassed the kid with an arrogant tone. Fred Glass didn't like that. He muttered load management under his breath and gave a dismissive look. Knight would have been reprimanded for treating a reporter like that.

Agreed w everything until the ‘because he (Deron) sucks...’

Deron is who I want in the game when the other team has a bug guy w 2 fouls in 1st half, or an early 3rd in second half etc.
Deron has a special strength - scoring down low, and making it seem easy. Let him score all day or get fouled trying to stop him!

Now - Deron isnt going to lead the highlights of dunks and oops like Justin Smith(who most of you have dogged the last two years as uncoachable-Crean kid’) might, or get up and down the court for 8+ min at a time tirelessly...
But when we need to draw a foul, or must have 2 points...I’d expect to see Deron on the court. Maybe late in games he and Race, or someone, would sub offense/defense etc...
I want De'Ron to be good too. I think Archie does too and is frustrated by the fact that he isn't--so he took it out on the reporter.

It was a silly question, but also an unnecessarily antagonistic response. Archue shoulda just said "We aren't using load management with De'Ron. They were employing smaller, quicker bigs and De'Ron struggled to guard them, so we went quicker guys ourself."

Instead Archie went with the Socratic method response, and got more frustrated when the reporter actually responded correctly, and then muttered under his breath and showed contempt.

BUT....it's really not a big deal. I certainly didn't want to spend 1,000 words of time on it. I am moving on.

Load management has become a derogatory term that gets used when NBA stars want to rest in preparation for a playoff run after an 82 game season. To apply it to a college season is dumb and shows that the guy asking the question doesn't understand college hoops. I thought Archie's answer was fine. There is no "load management" in college basketball. You are available to play every minute of every game when you're called upon to enter the game, assuming you're medically cleared to play.

DD has aspirations to cash a check at the next level, whether that's in the US or overseas. To stick a load management label on the guy would have been a total dick move.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
No, not a big deal, but it seemed unnecessary. Made me wonder if there was some background with that reporter.
Archie mentioned Doc Rivers got fined $50,000 in the NBA for load management. I heard it mentioned recently with Kawhi Leonard but I didn't pay attention to it. It can be frustrating if you go to an NBA game to watch a star player and they are resting. We picked a Cleveland game against the Pacers as our only game of the year. LeBron took the game off. It happens in baseball and something you have to expect.

Archie must have a had a bad experience with the practice to react like he did. The reporter was as surprised as everyone else that it would upset Archie. We know he was talking about restrictions of minutes due to players recovering from injuries. He used the wrong phrase.

Load management has become a derogatory term that gets used when NBA stars want to rest in preparation for a playoff run after an 82 game season. To apply it to a college season is dumb and shows that the guy asking the question doesn't understand college hoops. I thought Archie's answer was fine. There is no "load management" in college basketball. You are available to play every minute of every game when you're called upon to enter the game, assuming you're medically cleared to play.

DD has aspirations to cash a check at the next level, whether that's in the US or overseas. To stick a load management label on the guy would have been a total dick move.

Whatever. I, you, the reporter and Archie all knew he was referring to DD being held out or restricted as he's recovering from injury. If he used a term where everyone understands the meaning, it's hard to say he used the wrong term, but I get what you're saying: it has a specific and opposite meaning in the NBA. You do know in a broadcast when they mention "cleaning the glass" they aren't referring to Windex, right?

[QUOTE="kkott, post: 2785743, member: 2130"You do know in a broadcast when they mention "cleaning the glass" they aren't referring to Windex, right?[/QUOTE]
The hell you say?

Load management was coined when they were resting LeBron in Cleveland. No injury, just wanted a night off to rest. Now they're using it to include rehab and injury prevention as a catch all term. Personally, I hate the term and associate it with softness, but I routinely yell at kids to get off my lawn.

Reactions: minneman
This board is for IU sports fans and the trolls who come over to talk about IU sports or their teams connected to IU sports. It's not a place for religion or politics. Please keep it to yourself. Thanks in advance.
Go Hoosiers!

I think both coaches and players are trying to get rid of the back to backs. I suspect with a new CBA maybe approaching that has as much or more to with it than keeping players fresh for the playoffs.

I think Pop started this when the NBA had the Spurs on TNT Thursday night after a Wednesday night game. He was not happy about the back to back due to TV so he he gave the big 3 the night off out of spite. Don't even know if they were in the arena. They may have stayed in SA and the game was maybe on the road. Don't remember.

Remember when RMK went off because of the late night start time of a game to accomodate ESPN. Wasn't it some game against Wisconsin that went into OT in good ol day when IU use to beat by 30 everytime they played.

Did you see it? He embarrassed the kid with an arrogant tone. Fred Glass didn't like that. He muttered load management under his breath and gave a dismissive look. Knight would have been reprimanded for treating a reporter like that.

No he wouldn't have.

Load management is a negative term and he called the young NYC reporter on it.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
I think both coaches and players are trying to get rid of the back to backs. I suspect with a new CBA maybe approaching that has as much or more to with it than keeping players fresh for the playoffs.

I think Pop started this when the NBA had the Spurs on TNT Thursday night after a Wednesday night game. He was not happy about the back to back due to TV so he he gave the big 3 the night off out of spite. Don't even know if they were in the arena. They may have stayed in SA and the game was maybe on the road. Don't remember.

Remember when RMK went off because of the late night start time of a game to accomodate ESPN. Wasn't it some game against Wisconsin that went into OT in good ol day when IU use to beat by 30 everytime they played.
NBA back to backs and Bob Knight being upset about student athletes having 8 am classes aren't even remotely related.

NBA back to backs and Bob Knight being upset about student athletes having 8 am classes aren't even remotely related.

They are related. However schedule management for student athletes is a thing. Load management as the term is used today is not, or should not be.

ADVERTISEMENT