ADVERTISEMENT

Donald Trump Hates America

Democrats don’t want to fix border security. Allow all comers to walk across our borders and insist they be turned loose in the country.

stollcpa, about them crocodile tears of yours... Watch the first 10 minutes of this video. Hard to do or fix anything when the Senate is being held hostage by a turtle.

In both cases, bipartisan compromise bills were blocked by Republicans (cloture in the Senate, "Hastert Rule" in the House). If allowed to come to a straight up or down vote, they would have passed. Why rational Republicans won't acknowledge that is beyond me. Their attempts to spread the blame equally is disingenuous at best.
I fully admit Republicans have no compromises types on their side and they’re among the Republicans that voted against cloture on that bill. You won’t recognize you have some of the same types among the Democrats that voted the same way. I hear BS like they wanted a “better bill” as if their refusals to compromise are so much more noble. Republicans said the same too. You know if those noble Democrats had voted the other way there would have been over 60 votes for cloture and they could have proceeded to the up or down vote, right? That’s what they should have done, screw the no compromise Republicans - the Republican President would have signed the bill.

Of course the stubborn Republicans could have too, but the stubbornness on both sides are why President Bush never had a chance to sign the reform he favored.

I fully admit Republicans have no compromises types on their side and they’re among the Republicans that voted against cloture on that bill. You won’t recognize you have some of the same types among the Democrats that voted the same way. I hear BS like they wanted a “better bill” as if their refusals to compromise are so much more noble. Republicans said the same too. You know if those noble Democrats had voted the other way there would have been over 60 votes for cloture and they could have proceeded to the up or down vote, right? That’s what they should have done, screw the no compromise Republicans - the Republican President would have signed the bill.

Of course the stubborn Republicans could have too, but the stubbornness on both sides are why President Bush never had a chance to sign the reform he favored.
Two thirds of the Dems voted in favor, two thirds of the Pubs voted against. So yeah, they're equally to blame.

You won’t concede that the left opposed the bill too, even when . . . the left opposed the bill too.
I already agreed some of the opposition was on the left. But saying "the left and right" killed the bill is still misleading. A lot of the right and a little of the left teamed up to kill the bill. It was mostly the right, particularly Republicans.

Reactions: Rockfish1
Two thirds of the Dems voted in favor, two thirds of the Pubs voted against. So yeah, they're equally to blame.
Why do you keep insisting on this “equally to blame” thing? I at no point said it was equal.

I already agreed some of the opposition was on the left. But saying "the left and right" killed the bill is still misleading. A lot of the right and a little of the left teamed up to kill the bill. It was mostly the right, particularly Republicans.
Fine people. On both sides. And you know it.

Reactions: meridian
Hell if I did. There’s a reason I rarely post here these days. It’s responses like I’ve gotten here. It’s tiresome as hell.
What's tiresome as hell is your refusal to just admit that yes, sometimes, once in a while, the Republicans are the bad guys. Comprehensive immigration reform, including the Dream Act, has been introduced into Congress about 100 bazillion times over the past twenty-some years. It's always the Republicans that find a way to kill it. But because you can find one year when a dozen Democrats also opposed it, you fall back on this "left and right" crap.

You claim that you never tried to impute equal responsibility on both sides, but you prove that's crap by criticizing me for pointing out that the responsibility was unequal while at the same time admitting that some liberals were part of the problem.

You're a pretty conservative guy, so I think it's safe to assume that, on most issues, it's the Democrats who are causing most of the problems. Which is fine. But sometimes, they aren't. On the issue of immigration reform, the Republicans are the biggest problem. That you can't admit that isn't fine; it's partisan hackery.

What's tiresome as hell is your refusal to just admit that yes, sometimes, once in a while, the Republicans are the bad guys. Comprehensive immigration reform, including the Dream Act, has been introduced into Congress about 100 bazillion times over the past twenty-some years. It's always the Republicans that find a way to kill it. But because you can find one year when a dozen Democrats also opposed it, you fall back on this "left and right" crap.

You claim that you never tried to impute equal responsibility on both sides, but you prove that's crap by criticizing me for pointing out that the responsibility was unequal while at the same time admitting that some liberals were part of the problem.

You're a pretty conservative guy, so I think it's safe to assume that, on most issues, it's the Democrats who are causing most of the problems. Which is fine. But sometimes, they aren't. On the issue of immigration reform, the Republicans are the biggest problem. That you can't admit that isn't fine; it's partisan hackery.
You should look in the mirror. You’re a perfect example of what you accuse me of. I’m serious.

Reactions: stollcpa and Lucy01

And by the way, how many times do I have to disagree with Republicans these days before you stop claiming I defend them down the line? Tiresome as hell.

Reactions: stollcpa
And by the way, how many times do I have to disagree with Republicans these days before you stop claiming I defend them down the line? Tiresome as hell.
I didn't say you defend them down the line. And it has nothing to do with agreement or disagreement. It's about the fact that here is an issue where you do actually disagree with most of them, and you can't bring yourself to admit they are the ones primarily causing the problem.

You should look in the mirror. You’re a perfect example of what you accuse me of. I’m serious.
I'd like you to back that up with examples, since your further post suggests you don't even understand what it is I'm criticizing you for.

If my comments are deleted, this must be deleted. Who are the mod(s) here (honestly curious). I’ve had stuff with legit sources and you delete my posts. What’s up?
The mods here are Cajun and NPT. This is a very busy board, and they can't be here 24/7. The best way to draw their attention to a particularly offensive post is to click on the little "Report" button on the bottom of it. I'm confident if you do that, you'll see the post dealt with in fairly short order.

The mods here are Cajun and NPT. This is a very busy board, and they can't be here 24/7. The best way to draw their attention to a particularly offensive post is to click on the little "Report" button on the bottom of it. I'm confident if you do that, you'll see the post dealt with in fairly short order.

Thank you. I’ve had several posts deleted in the past week but understand they have a limited capacity to deal with all of us.

You spend way to much time criticizing other posters. I never see the sense in that. Criticizing posters is never important and it never contributes to an interesting board.

Yeah, I know. . . .

You spend way to much time criticizing other posters. I never see the sense in that. Criticizing posters is never important and it never contributes to an interesting board.

Yeah, I know. . . .
CO that’s called the little boy complex:rolleyes:

Yeah, I know. . . .
In your view does criticizing politicians contribute to an interesting board?

In your view does criticizing politicians contribute to an interesting board?

If you are talking about criticizing political positions, or calling out idiocy, incompetence, or excessive partisanship, absolutely. This is a political discussion board.

Reactions: Lucy01
David Brooks nails it:

So apparently Donald Trump wants to make this an election about what it means to be American. He’s got his vision of what it means to be American, and he’s challenging the rest of us to come up with a better one.

In Trump’s version, “American” is defined by three propositions. First, to be American is to be xenophobic. The basic narrative he tells is that the good people of the heartland are under assault from aliens, elitists and outsiders. Second, to be American is to be nostalgic. America’s values were better during some golden past. Third, a true American is white. White Protestants created this country; everybody else is here on their sufferance.

When you look at Trump’s American idea you realize that it contradicts the traditional American idea in every particular. In fact, Trump’s national story is much closer to the Russian national story than it is toward our own. It’s an alien ideology he’s trying to plant on our soil.

Trump’s vision is radically anti-American.

The real American idea is not xenophobic, nostalgic or racist; it is pluralistic, future-oriented and universal. America is exceptional precisely because it is the only nation on earth that defines itself by its future, not its past. America is exceptional because from the first its citizens saw themselves in a project that would have implications for all humankind. America is exceptional because it was launched with a dream to take the diverse many and make them one — e pluribus unum.
It's time for Americans to take America back from Trump's past and to put it forward into our future. Trump is the leader of losers and it's time for the winners that created and create America to take the lead. Trump is destroying decades of progress made in protecting our environment, our health, and our food. Trump is ruining our scientific community. Enough. Trump is wasting years of our farmers cultivating foreign ties. Enough. Trump is eroding all of our civilized norms and sowing seeds of distrust and discord in every sinew of our society. Enough.

Enough losing. Let's get back to winning.
That’s funny...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT