ADVERTISEMENT

Donald Trump Hates America

Put up legislation and make him act or not act. If real border security is part of it, there will be pressure on him to act. Anybody in their right mind knows we’re not sending all these people home, nor do we need to. We need something in place to stop it from happening again.

We deal everyday in our office with employers hiring immigrants and NO not to underpay them. They show up and do the job. Invariably social security numbers don’t match or something else and the employers have to decide whether to risk ignoring the law and continuing to employ the workers. It sucks. No one wins.

There was a deal in 2018, once Trump said no McConell killed everything. You can read the deal, Trump got his wall. But it was not enough that he wins, the other side had to lose.
Exactly. Trump had even said he would sign that deal. But then he watched Fox News and they were mad about it, so he changed his mind.

Reactions: Digressions
In that scenario I do believe you. That's why mentioned hand labor.

But the point still stands that the Republicans could done a couple of years ago exactly what you want the Democrats to do now.

Yes they could have.

Put forth legislation?
Who do you think hires all the people sneaking across the border? Every builder, landscaper, truck cropper hires them by the bus load and I'm guessing they aren't all Democrats. Your client with 6000 organic acres is probably a culprit. Republicans controlled everything at one point and they didn't do anything. They didn't and won't fix anything because they need the hands.

Don't act like the pubs would do anything different.

You’re wrong. My organic farmer has zero migrant workers! Okay now he’s a racist and afraid of brown people, right?

Democrats controlled everything under President Obama and did nothing.

Instead of blame how bout the house put up legislation. They won’t. They’d rather have the problem.
Overall, immigration has been very good for this country.

IMMIGRATION 2000-2015
“Focusing immigration policy on the US-Mexico Border misses completely the reality of the last 15 years of immigration. We should instead address the immigration of the next years with appropriate policies regulating the flows of highly educated immigrants, mainly from Asia. The growth of professionals with college degrees in Science, Engineering and Math (STEM) has come in large part from foreign-born workers. The contributions to innovation and technological growth from this group have positive long-run productivity effects on the U.S. economy. Policies slowing and eventually reducing high-skilled immigration, such as imposing delays and limitations on H1B visas are likely to result in slower growth of innovation and productivity in the long run. The goal of creating and protecting American jobs in the medium and long run should encourage more high-skilled immigration. It is unclear whether fewer high-skilled immigrants would protect high-skilled American jobs in the short run, but it would certainly hurt growth and jobs for all in the long run.”

https://econofact.org/immigration-and-economic-growth-in-the-u-s-2000-2015

Overall, immigration has been very good for this country.

IMMIGRATION 2000-2015
“Focusing immigration policy on the US-Mexico Border misses completely the reality of the last 15 years of immigration. We should instead address the immigration of the next years with appropriate policies regulating the flows of highly educated immigrants, mainly from Asia. The growth of professionals with college degrees in Science, Engineering and Math (STEM) has come in large part from foreign-born workers. The contributions to innovation and technological growth from this group have positive long-run productivity effects on the U.S. economy. Policies slowing and eventually reducing high-skilled immigration, such as imposing delays and limitations on H1B visas are likely to result in slower growth of innovation and productivity in the long run. The goal of creating and protecting American jobs in the medium and long run should encourage more high-skilled immigration. It is unclear whether fewer high-skilled immigrants would protect high-skilled American jobs in the short run, but it would certainly hurt growth and jobs for all in the long run.”

https://econofact.org/immigration-and-economic-growth-in-the-u-s-2000-2015
Yes, we need more legal immigration.

Reactions: MrBing and Ladoga
My guess is immigration reform will linger beyond the 2020 elections with both parties clinging to talking points.

Talking points which usually exaggerate problems and further divide the country.

That’s really the whole point. I’d never be friends with a guy like Trump, if I were in the same economic circles as him.
If you were in the same economic circles as him you would agree with most of his views.

So put your vote where your mouth is.
I have. I voted for GWB and John McCain (later) who both supported immigration reform being debated in 2007 when GWB was President and JS McCain was a Senator, along with some Democrats like Ted Kennedy, that was a very good first step towards what we need - more, and more targeted and intelligent, legal immigration and less illegal immigration. It would also have included the DREAM Act. The left and the right combined to kill it.

Can’t argue with this part of Brooks’ point. But he is flat dead wrong about putting the blame on Trump. We were dividing ourselves into groups long before he was elected. The Democrats, thinking these divisions are to its political advantage, have conspicuously gone this direction for decades. The latest example is squad member Pressley saying we need more brown voices, black voices, and queer voices in congress, as if issues like national defense, public safety, and economics depend on these human divisions.
So, it's Democrats' fault! What a surprise, coming from you!

Bipartisan group of Senators pushing for program to help with asylum issues.
Program titled Operation Safe Return
Sen. Lankford has a copy of the letter on his site. Seems like a common sense program.

That’s really the whole point. I’d never be friends with a guy like Trump, if I were in the same economic circles as him.
If you were in the same economic circles as him you would agree with most of his views.
Nope, not true. Most of Hollywood for example, Warren Buffett, Bill Gates. See it is possible to have money and a conscience too. Trump is a poor example of that.

Nope, not true. Most of Hollywood for example, Warren Buffett, Bill Gates. See it is possible to have money and a conscience too. Trump is a poor example of that.
Is Trump really rich? How much does he owe?
Either way, he is not in the same class with Bill Gates and Warren Buffet.

Is Trump really rich? How much does he owe?
Either way, he is not in the same class with Bill Gates and Warren Buffet.
Who cares, He is the most powerful man on earth! Women want him, men fear him! That’s right he is President of these United States!

Yeah, I heard Gates saying that Trump isn’t rushing to join the “Giving Pledge” his foundation started. And frankly, guys like Trump don’t have enough money to not think about making more. For guys like Buffett, Gates & Bezos, making money was a motivation they lost long ago and this is why they’re giving it all away.

So what you’re saying is that most of his views are about widening the gap between the top 1% and everyone else. And just because I was a 1%er I’d think this was good for America? I hope I’d have more wisdom than that and realize that an extra $100 million is just greed. And also realize that if that trend continues this nation is in big trouble.

Who cares, He is the most powerful man on earth! Women want him, men fear him! That’s right he is President of these United States!
Unfortunately, you are right. But then, so were Caesar, Napoleon, Hitler, and Stalin. And you were saying?

Unfortunately, you are right. But then, so were Caesar, Napoleon, Hitler, and Stalin. And you were saying?
i’m going to tell you one thing meridian, Chris Wallace can go straight to hell!

I have. I voted for GWB and John McCain (later) who both supported immigration reform being debated in 2007 when GWB was President and JS McCain was a Senator, along with some Democrats like Ted Kennedy, that was a very good first step towards what we need - more, and more targeted and intelligent, legal immigration and less illegal immigration. It would also have included the DREAM Act. The left and the right combined to kill it.
The left and right didn't kill it. The GOP did.

Democrats voted 34-16 in favor. Republicans voted 12-37. It's true that a couple of the Democrats who voted "No" were liberals who thought they could get a better bill, but to say it was killed by the "left and right" misrepresents where most of the opposition was found. Most of the opposition was conservative, including Blue Dog Democrats and especially Republicans.

Democrats voted 34-16 in favor. Republicans voted 12-37. It's true that a couple of the Democrats who voted "No" were liberals who thought they could get a better bill, but to say it was killed by the "left and right" misrepresents where most of the opposition was found. Most of the opposition was conservative, including Blue Dog Democrats and especially Republicans.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_Immigration_Reform_Act_of_2006

This one passed the Senate. IIRC, it was killed by the "Hastert Rule" in the House.

You won’t concede that the left opposed the bill too, even when . . . the left opposed the bill too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucy01 and stollcpa
You won’t concede that the left opposed the bill too, even when . . . the left opposed the bill too.
I will concede that there were two from the left that voted against cloture: Boxer and Sanders. Did the Democrats from MT, WV, ND, ect. vote Nay because they feared their constituents from the left?

Edit to add: What about the 2006 bill I linked above? It passed the Senate on a bipartisan vote, and then couldn't get a vote in the house because of the Hastert rule. How can you blame the left for it's failure, when they were never given the opportunity to vote for it, because a majority of house Republicans opposed it. That bill would have passed if given a vote. That's why House Republicans blocked the vote, no?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockfish1
Edit to add: What about the 2006 bill I linked above? It passed the Senate on a bipartisan vote, and then couldn't get a vote in the house because of the Hastert rule. How can you blame the left for it's failure, when they were never given the opportunity to vote for it, because a majority of house Republicans opposed it. That bill would have passed if given a vote. That's why House Republicans blocked the vote, no?
In both cases, bipartisan compromise bills were blocked by Republicans (cloture in the Senate, "Hastert Rule" in the House). If allowed to come to a straight up or down vote, they would have passed. Why rational Republicans won't acknowledge that is beyond me. Their attempts to spread the blame equally is disingenuous at best.

In both cases, bipartisan compromise bills were blocked by Republicans (cloture in the Senate, "Hastert Rule" in the House). If allowed to come to a straight up or down vote, they would have passed. Why rational Republicans won't acknowledge that is beyond me. Their attempts to spread the blame equally is disingenuous at best.

Uncle Mark. think you hit the bullseye above with "amnesty".

Once you get the troops fired up with a successful taking point it is hard to back off.

The Dems on the other hand insist on a comparatively easy path to citizenship for the undocumented who have managed to blend into our social and cultural fabric.

Uncle Mark. think you hit the bullseye above with "amnesty".

Once you get the troops fired up with a successful taking point it is hard to back off.

The Dems on the other hand insist on a comparatively easy path to citizenship for the undocumented who have managed to blend into our social and cultural fabric.
The Pub law and order types won't stand for a reasonable path to citizenship. For them, that's letting the "illegals" get away with it.

The Pub law and order types won't stand for a reasonable path to citizenship. For them, that's letting the "illegals" get away with it.

When law and order approaches aren't working you either double down or rethink the law and order.

The Trump administration has taken the double down approach and risk public outcries regarding issues such as breaking up families and deporting folks who have settled into their communities.

Meanwhile rethinking our approach with Congress taking the lead seems to be lost in a turmoil of political blabbering.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT