ADVERTISEMENT

Donald Trump Hates America

iuwclurker

All-American
Jul 6, 2015
David Brooks nails it:

So apparently Donald Trump wants to make this an election about what it means to be American. He’s got his vision of what it means to be American, and he’s challenging the rest of us to come up with a better one.

In Trump’s version, “American” is defined by three propositions. First, to be American is to be xenophobic. The basic narrative he tells is that the good people of the heartland are under assault from aliens, elitists and outsiders. Second, to be American is to be nostalgic. America’s values were better during some golden past. Third, a true American is white. White Protestants created this country; everybody else is here on their sufferance.

When you look at Trump’s American idea you realize that it contradicts the traditional American idea in every particular. In fact, Trump’s national story is much closer to the Russian national story than it is toward our own. It’s an alien ideology he’s trying to plant on our soil.

Trump’s vision is radically anti-American.

The real American idea is not xenophobic, nostalgic or racist; it is pluralistic, future-oriented and universal. America is exceptional precisely because it is the only nation on earth that defines itself by its future, not its past. America is exceptional because from the first its citizens saw themselves in a project that would have implications for all humankind. America is exceptional because it was launched with a dream to take the diverse many and make them one — e pluribus unum.
It's time for Americans to take America back from Trump's past and to put it forward into our future. Trump is the leader of losers and it's time for the winners that created and create America to take the lead. Trump is destroying decades of progress made in protecting our environment, our health, and our food. Trump is ruining our scientific community. Enough. Trump is wasting years of our farmers cultivating foreign ties. Enough. Trump is eroding all of our civilized norms and sowing seeds of distrust and discord in every sinew of our society. Enough.

Enough losing. Let's get back to winning.

Donald Trump is a sociopath. He should be the poster child for sociopaths. It’s not too complicated.

Reactions: MaxCoke
David Brooks nails it:

So apparently Donald Trump wants to make this an election about what it means to be American. He’s got his vision of what it means to be American, and he’s challenging the rest of us to come up with a better one.

In Trump’s version, “American” is defined by three propositions. First, to be American is to be xenophobic. The basic narrative he tells is that the good people of the heartland are under assault from aliens, elitists and outsiders. Second, to be American is to be nostalgic. America’s values were better during some golden past. Third, a true American is white. White Protestants created this country; everybody else is here on their sufferance.

When you look at Trump’s American idea you realize that it contradicts the traditional American idea in every particular. In fact, Trump’s national story is much closer to the Russian national story than it is toward our own. It’s an alien ideology he’s trying to plant on our soil.

The real American idea is not xenophobic, nostalgic or racist; it is pluralistic, future-oriented and universal. America is exceptional precisely because it is the only nation on earth that defines itself by its future, not its past. America is exceptional because from the first its citizens saw themselves in a project that would have implications for all humankind. America is exceptional because it was launched with a dream to take the diverse many and make them one — e pluribus unum.
It's time for Americans to take America back from Trump's past and to put it forward into our future. Trump is the leader of losers and it's time for the winners that created and create America to take the lead. Trump is destroying decades of progress made in protecting our environment, our health, and our food. Trump is ruining our scientific community. Enough. Trump is wasting years of our farmers cultivating foreign ties. Enough. Trump is eroding all of our civilized norms and sowing seeds of distrust and discord in every sinew of our society. Enough.

You must hang out with different friends than I do.

Reactions: mohoosier
David Brooks nails it:

You must hang out with different friends than I do.
That’s really the whole point. I’d never be friends with a guy like Trump, if I were in the same economic circles as him.

Fascinating stuff. Wait, it’s more so, brilliant stuff! Great work, bless your heart.

America is exceptional because it was launched with a dream to take the diverse many and make them one — e pluribus unum.

Can’t argue with this part of Brooks’ point. But he is flat dead wrong about putting the blame on Trump. We were dividing ourselves into groups long before he was elected. The Democrats, thinking these divisions are to its political advantage, have conspicuously gone this direction for decades. The latest example is squad member Pressley saying we need more brown voices, black voices, and queer voices in congress, as if issues like national defense, public safety, and economics depend on these human divisions.

58% of whites voted for Donald Trump. 37% of whites voted for Hillary Clinton. Photos with college degrees.

Voters with college degrees voted for Clinton over Trump by 49% of 45%. Voters with graduate degrees voted for Clinton 58% to 37%.

For those who say that immigrants from Third World countries, who don’t speak English, are coming to the US to steal their jobs, I think the answer is perhaps a bit more career training.

58% of whites voted for Donald Trump. 37% of whites voted for Hillary Clinton. Photos with college degrees.

Voters with college degrees voted for Clinton over Trump by 49% of 45%. Voters with graduate degrees voted for Clinton 58% to 37%.

For those who say that immigrants from Third World countries, who don’t speak English, are coming to the US to steal their jobs, I think the answer is perhaps a bit more career training.

They are not stealing jobs, they depress wages across the board. I find it funny that you all will rail on about income inequality and then will support (basically) open borders. Why the hell do you think the Koch Brothers are so interested in the same position? Altruism? Lol.

And before one of you runs off at the mouth about open borders not being your position, I call bull shit. The only people I have heard any of you Express that should not be allowed in are criminals and terrorists. If that is the only restriction you have in mind, you are for open borders.

Can’t argue with this part of Brooks’ point. But he is flat dead wrong about putting the blame on Trump. We were dividing ourselves into groups long before he was elected. The Democrats, thinking these divisions are to its political advantage, have conspicuously gone this direction for decades. The latest example is squad member Pressley saying we need more brown voices, black voices, and queer voices in congress, as if issues like national defense, public safety, and economics depend on these human divisions.
Brooks didn't blame anything on Trump. Re-read it without your blinkers. Brooks asserts that Trump has a vision for America that is at odds with that of the Founding Fathers and pretty much everyone of import who followed after. Trump's vision is not about political divisions, which most of us consider to be a healthy characteristic of our Nation. Trump's vision is about destroying America and he's managed to con roughly 88% of the conservative electorate, including you, into thinking otherwise. You have a long list of good things he's done. You clearly are missing the short- and long-term destructive nature of the Trump Presidency.

Trump didn't create white supremacy but he sure knows how to use it to maintain his base support.

P.S. David Brooks is the kind of guy who can appeal to a majority of us at the Cooler. Like to think CoH might be one of these.

They are not stealing jobs, they depress wages across the board. I find it funny that you all will rail on about income inequality and then will support (basically) open borders. Why the hell do you think the Koch Brothers are so interested in the same position? Altruism? Lol.

And before one of you runs off at the mouth about open borders not being your position, I call bull shit. The only people I have heard any of you Express that should not be allowed in are criminals and terrorists. If that is the only restriction you have in mind, you are for open borders.

Who is honestly pushing for open borders? I’m interested.

images

Reactions: iuwclurker
David Brooks nails it:

Agree. And I suspect the Biden-Harris ticket will lead with a similar message. Trump is the Loser-in-Chief.

Reactions: MrBing
Who is honestly pushing for open borders? I’m interested.

Trump repeatedly says Democrats want open borders.

When it comes to borders Democrats and their representatives actually don't want open borders even though they don;t share our president's enthusiasm for building walls to protect borders.

Reactions: Cortez88 and T.M.P.
Trump repeatedly says Democrats want open borders.

When it comes to borders Democrats and their representatives actually don't want open borders even though they don;t share our president's enthusiasm for building walls to protect borders.
Democrats have been perfectly willing to get on board with border reform that includes increased border security and enforcement, but part of that package also needs to include a path to citizenship for the Dreamers and those who have been good "citizens-without-papers". That queers it with the Tea Party/Freedom Caucus anarchists. Amnesty!!!

I await your substance.

Democrats don’t want to fix border security. Allow all comers to walk across our borders and insist they be turned loose in the country. When they don’t show up for court dates you raise hell if we round them up and send them home. Sounds like open borders so just admit to it.

Don’t tell me I am afraid of brown people. I’ve said more than once on here what I am for. Find way for citizenship for dreamers and everyone else that have been good citizens. Fix border security and never again a special fix for dreamers. Immigrate legally or send them back to their home countries.

Democrats don’t want to fix border security. Allow all comers to walk across our borders and insist they be turned loose in the country. When they don’t show up for court dates you raise hell if we round them up and send them home. Sounds like open borders so just admit to it.
That is a false, cartoon characterization of the Democratic position.
Don’t tell me I am afraid of brown people. I’ve said more than once on here what I am for. Find way for citizenship for dreamers and everyone else that have been good citizens. Fix border security and never again a special fix for dreamers. Immigrate legally or send them back to their home countries.
Which is for all intents and purposes the Democratic position. You and I agree.

Now, how about you vote for someone who will support our position?

A strict definition of open borders would allow goods and people to cross borders without inspections, guards, or restrictions. Words should have meanings even for presidents.

This isn’t about border security or brown people, it’s about a win for Trump!

That is a false, cartoon characterization of the Democratic position.

Which is for all intents and purposes the Democratic position. You and I agree.

Now, how about you vote for someone who will support our position?

Why don’t the house put that position in legislation right now and see what happens? We both know they won’t.

Therefore we will wait till November 2020 and see if “free stuff” works.

Reactions: Lucy01
Why don’t the house put that position in legislation right now and see what happens? We both know they won’t.
I'm fine with that. But I don't think Mitch would even bring it to the floor. I think he's even said as much. [BICBW] Anything that smells of Amnesty!!! is going to be dead in the Senate.

Therefore we will wait till November 2020 and see if “free stuff” works.
Put forth legislation?
Who do you think hires all the people sneaking across the border? Every builder, landscaper, truck cropper hires them by the bus load and I'm guessing they aren't all Democrats. Your client with 6000 organic acres is probably a culprit. Republicans controlled everything at one point and they didn't do anything. They didn't and won't fix anything because they need the hands.

Don't act like the pubs would do anything different.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
Put forth legislation?
Who do you think hires all the people sneaking across the border? Every builder, landscaper, truck cropper hires them by the bus load and I'm guessing they aren't all Democrats. Your client with 6000 organic acres is probably a culprit. Republicans controlled everything at one point and they didn't do anything. They didn't and won't fix anything because they need the hands.

Don't act like the pubs would do anything different.

You’re wrong. My organic farmer has zero migrant workers! Okay now he’s a racist and afraid of brown people, right?

Democrats controlled everything under President Obama and did nothing.

Instead of blame how bout the house put up legislation. They won’t. They’d rather have the problem.

I'm fine with that. But I don't think Mitch would even bring it to the floor. I think he's even said as much. [BICBW] Anything that smells of Amnesty!!! is going to be dead in the Senate.

Put up legislation and make him act or not act. If real border security is part of it, there will be pressure on him to act. Anybody in their right mind knows we’re not sending all these people home, nor do we need to. We need something in place to stop it from happening again.

We deal everyday in our office with employers hiring immigrants and NO not to underpay them. They show up and do the job. Invariably social security numbers don’t match or something else and the employers have to decide whether to risk ignoring the law and continuing to employ the workers. It sucks. No one wins.

You’re wrong. My organic farmer has zero migrant workers! Okay now he’s a racist and afraid of brown people, right?

Democrats controlled everything under President Obama and did nothing.

Instead of blame how bout the house put up legislation. They won’t. They’d rather have the problem.
Actually no you client isn't a racist and he's not tending to 6000 acres of anything that requires hand labor without illegals. So either he's lying to you or you're lying to us.

The Republicans controlled everything until the last election and they didn't pass anything.

They don't want to fix immigration, they just want to bitch about it.

Actually no you client isn't a racist and he's not tending to 6000 acres of anything that requires hand labor without illegals. So either he's lying to you or you're lying to us.

The Republicans controlled everything until the last election and they didn't pass anything.

He has no illegals in his operation. He’s raising organic corn and soybeans and has very expensive equipment to do the job. He employs less than 15 workers. I know all the workers. Believe me or don’t believe me.

Really, you’re making yourself look silly! Stop it.

Why don’t the house put that position in legislation right now and see what happens?
Put up legislation and make him act or not act. If real border security is part of it, there will be pressure on him to act. Anybody in their right mind knows we’re not sending all these people home, nor do we need to. We need something in place to stop it from happening again.
Is there any reason you think it's up to the House to initiate new immigration reform legislation? What would be wrong with Mitch and Trump getting together, putting together a package that covers the ground we've discussed, and then voting it out of the Senate?

We deal everyday in our office with employers hiring immigrants and NO not to underpay them. They show up and do the job. Invariably social security numbers don’t match or something else and the employers have to decide whether to risk ignoring the law and continuing to employ the workers. It sucks. No one wins.

There was a deal in 2018, once Trump said no McConell killed everything. You can read the deal, Trump got his wall. But it was not enough that he wins, the other side had to lose.

Is there any reason you think it's up to the House to initiate new immigration reform legislation? What would be wrong with Mitch and Trump getting together, putting together a package that covers the ground we've discussed, and then voting it out of the Senate?

Has to come from house to have a chance.

He has no illegals in his operation. He’s raising organic corn and soybeans and has very expensive equipment to do the job. He employs less than 15 workers. I know all the workers. Believe me or don’t believe me.
In that scenario I do believe you. That's why mentioned hand labor.

But the point still stands that the Republicans could done a couple of years ago exactly what you want the Democrats to do now.

ADVERTISEMENT