ADVERTISEMENT

Don Trump Jr says "covid-19 deaths almost nothing

2,839,205 deaths in the US in 2018. We are 50k below that in 2020 with 9 weeks to go.

So the monthly death rate in 2018 was approximately 237k. If we're already at 2,789,205, the monthly death rate in 2020 is approximately 279k (if that's a 10-month total).

So the death rate is running about 40k per month above 2018. That suggests 480,000 more total US deaths in 2020.

Ask the NCHS.

The NCHS deaths are not totally real time. From the CDC website:

Note: Provisional death counts are based on death certificate data received and coded by the National Center for Health Statistics as of October 30, 2020. Death counts are delayed and may differ from other published sources (see Technical Notes). Counts will be updated periodically. Additional information will be added to this site as available.

Reuters fell for this in May. After they ran this (https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-death-count-stable-idUSKBN22Q2MT) 50,000 deaths were added to April. Suddenly the numbers were clear. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...d-19/501-fda8856c-57c1-4041-9229-ac7fb80a55a1

A better comparison is cars. We can control deaths by car accidents easily by banning all automotive travel. About 1.25M die each year from car accidents, that's over 100k per month.

But we don't, because we, as a society, have decided 100k deaths per month is an acceptable amount to have in order to have freedom and economic growth.

Now, at what level of monthly covid deaths are we willing to accept to have freedom and economic growth?
Oh my God! I had no idea that 1.25 million people per year are dying from car accidents in the United States!

Oh my God! I had no idea that 1.25 million people per year are dying from car accidents in the United States!
Oh, wait a minute. It's not 1.25 million deaths per year. It's closer to 38,000 deaths per year, which is still a big number. But not a crazy number. But we're trying to make cars safer. We put in seat belts and airbags. Crash standards are constantly being improved. Kind of like wearing a mask and washing your hands and social distancing.

So the monthly death rate in 2018 was approximately 237k. If we're already at 2,789,205, the monthly death rate in 2020 is approximately 279k (if that's a 10-month total).

So the death rate is running about 40k per month above 2018. That suggests 480,000 more total US deaths in 2020.
My mistake. We are 500k fewer @ 2,347,000 as of yesterday.

The NCHS deaths are not totally real time. From the CDC website:

Note: Provisional death counts are based on death certificate data received and coded by the National Center for Health Statistics as of October 30, 2020. Death counts are delayed and may differ from other published sources (see Technical Notes). Counts will be updated periodically. Additional information will be added to this site as available.

Reuters fell for this in May. After they ran this (https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-death-count-stable-idUSKBN22Q2MT) 50,000 deaths were added to April. Suddenly the numbers were clear. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...d-19/501-fda8856c-57c1-4041-9229-ac7fb80a55a1
I understand the numbers will change. If you go back to my OP in this thread I put 'provisional numbers' in parentheses to indicate my awareness that the numbers lag a couple weeks or so. What you will see from that chart is that, besides the spikes near 80k in the springtime, deaths from all causes totals are fairly consistent. In late summer they were down in the 40s. If you want to credit mitigation measures for that, that's fair. The point is that excess total deaths may have been there in a specific week or month, but for the year they are coming in near an average annual total.

I understand the numbers will change. If you go back to my OP in this thread I put 'provisional numbers' in parentheses to indicate my awareness that the numbers lag a couple weeks or so. What you will see from that chart is that, besides the spikes near 80k in the springtime, deaths from all causes totals are fairly consistent. In late summer they were down in the 40s. If you want to credit mitigation measures for that, that's fair. The point is that excess total deaths may have been there in a specific week or month, but for the year they are coming in near an average annual total.

The chart here goes out to Sep 6. https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/excess-mortality-raw-death-count. At no point since March 11 has deaths in 2020 been at or less than any of the previous 4 years. And we know our mitigation impacted COVID. But with hospitals filling again, we likely will see the rest of the year above.

I continue to be stunned that this family of circus clowns, grifters, snake oil salespeople, still have the support of half the population of the United States.

I leave for Mexico tomorrow. Wake me up when this is over.

I leave for Mexico in the morning. Wake me up when this is over.
I didn’t realize we were allowed in Mexico. Glad we have at least one opportunity.

Reactions: iuwclurker
I really don't get why people can't figure this out. Its feckin' mindboggling.
So triggered into thinking its either deaths or lockdowns/financial bankruptcy. WTF!

I know, I've had this argument in many different forms.

It started with the government can't force me to mask up because it's my goddamn right to we can't lock down because think of the economy and the suicides!!

You do one it greatly helps to prevent the other.

And let's be real, I'm in Minnesota and my little cover band is playing a bar, Halloween party. I'm the only one who's masked and it's packed.

So no masks and definitely no social distancing.

This is Minnesota, a blue state and this is an egregious violation of the very simple rules. Think of Trump rallies. Think of get togethers.

We can't help ourselves and unfortunately the actions of those that deny impact those that are trying to do the things we have to do to avoid lockdowns.

But I'm the radical.

For the record I only go to the stage and I'm in a cone of wind blowing up from the floor plus I'm going as a doctor so I'll have my surgeons mask....and I'll still probably get it.

Lots of beautiful people though. Most guys dress for humor and most girls dress sexy. It's an amazing bar night in normal times.

I want to get back to normal times.

Reactions: sglowrider
If the WC is a microcosm of the US, my money’s on Trump second-guessing his choice to make uneducated white males his base come Wednesday.

I really don't get why people can't figure this out. Its feckin' mindboggling.
So triggered into thinking its either deaths or lockdowns/financial bankruptcy. WTF!
Survival of the fittest. Sooner or later science deniers will succumb. Maybe covid19, maybe covid20a+b, maybe covid21a through f...

...rag me but good riddance.

I know, I've had this argument in many different forms.

It started with the government can't force me to mask up because it's my goddamn right to we can't lock down because think of the economy and the suicides!!

You do one it greatly helps to prevent the other.

And let's be real, I'm in Minnesota and my little cover band is playing a bar, Halloween party. I'm the only one who's masked and it's packed.

So no masks and definitely no social distancing.

This is Minnesota, a blue state and this is an egregious violation of the very simple rules. Think of Trump rallies. Think of get togethers.

We can't help ourselves and unfortunately the actions of those that deny impact those that are trying to do the things we have to do to avoid lockdowns.

But I'm the radical.

For the record I only go to the stage and I'm in a cone of wind blowing up from the floor plus I'm going as a doctor so I'll have my surgeons mask....and I'll still probably get it.

Lots of beautiful people though. Most guys dress for humor and most girls dress sexy. It's an amazing bar night in normal times.

I want to get back to normal times.

As I mentioned before, the first window of opportunity was missed and like in tree decision chart -- you have been in that path of mitigation and poor choices ever since.

Once that 'window' of making sure that the Pandemic was to be taken seriously right at the start is always near impossible to re-boot.

They always knew the Fall/Flu season would be bad -- so to nip it early was the only option. But unfortunately, that option was not executed.
So here you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyCracker
Indiana has activated 1500 National Guard troops to go to nursing homes and assist their "exhausted" medical staffs. That is Holcomb's word not mine.

Hospitals in Indiana are starting to show the strain. Bedford's ICU is at 100%. Medical workers also are getting sick and missing work, forcing the well to work more. Other states are further along than we are, are hospitals just do not have the staffing to run 100% for an extended period. The traveling healthcare worker system is used to supplement and if you Google, they are running out of bodies by sending them to states further along than us.

But all this is completely normal. No need to wear masks or socially distance. And if you are in a bad car accident in Lawrence County, enjoy the ambulance trip up to the People's Republic of Bloomington. That is the price you pay so others can live life 100% normal in a pandemic.

Indiana has activated 1500 National Guard troops to go to nursing homes and assist their "exhausted" medical staffs. That is Holcomb's word not mine.

Hospitals in Indiana are starting to show the strain. Bedford's ICU is at 100%. Medical workers also are getting sick and missing work, forcing the well to work more. Other states are further along than we are, are hospitals just do not have the staffing to run 100% for an extended period. The traveling healthcare worker system is used to supplement and if you Google, they are running out of bodies by sending them to states further along than us.

But all this is completely normal. No need to wear masks or socially distance. And if you are in a bad car accident in Lawrence County, enjoy the ambulance trip up to the People's Republic of Bloomington. That is the price you pay so others can live life 100% normal in a pandemic.
Individuals (not referring to front-lines workers unfortunately) can still minimize their risk by following protocol.

To be honest, the old people are the problem and have been throughout this pandemic. They litter the stores frequently and refuse to use modern technology (Instacart, Shipt, other delivery services).

I went out to lunch indoors last week in a blue leaning area (one of two times I've done this since early March) and half of the people looked like they were walking dead people even if they managed not to contract the virus. They clearly didn't give a fvck.

If you are an old person and care about living, there is ZERO reason to go to a in general, let alone one where indoor seating is only available. What are we to do with all of these people that care less?

To be honest, the old people are the problem and have been throughout this pandemic. They litter the stores frequently and refuse to use modern technology (Instacart, Shipt, other delivery services).

I went out to lunch indoors last week in a blue leaning area (one of two times I've done this since early March) and half of the people looked like they were walking dead people even if they managed not to contract the virus. They clearly didn't give a fvck.

If you are an old person and care about living, there is ZERO reason to go to a in general, let alone one where indoor seating is only available. What are we to do with all of these people that care less?
It's time for a reboot with some obvious changes...

51ITLVW3XiL.jpg

I agree that people with co-morbidities need to be more careful, and that includes reducing time out with people. On the other hand, they too get lonely. I know someone who has been in an extended care facility. They were not allowed visitors for 6 months, not allowed to eat together, not allowed to visit each other.

That is why masks and distancing become even more important. And it is also partly why we can't just go back to as it was. Those workers in the nursing home, are they supposed to lock themselves in and never see their families? Otherwise, they easily can contract the virus and spread it inside the walls.

Forget about the election, rump is just shitty human being.
I told a neighbor that if I wouldn't trust you with my wife, kids, home or wallet there's a zero chance I'm trusting you with my vote.

Or what my Mum says: Kids are a blank canvas. It's how and what the parents use from their respective palette that shapes the kid's future.

So I blame that racist Fred.

Or what my Mum says: Kids are a blank canvas. It's how and what the parents use from their respective palette that shapes the kid's future.

So I blame that racist Fred.
I imagine if you could look back through their family tree there would be a long line of bad parenting. Maybe they all could make money (except for donnie) but they couldn't generate decent members of the human race.

I imagine if you could look back through their family tree there would be a long line of bad parenting. Maybe they all could make money (except for donnie) but they couldn't generate decent members of the human race.

As my mum says, you can't take the money with you after you check out.

ADVERTISEMENT