ADVERTISEMENT

Dolson looking for coach with style that is cutting edge...

wi_hoosier

Junior
Nov 3, 2008

Another thing I picked up from the article was that there was one donor who funded the buyout, and there is another that will fund transitional costs. So some of this boards wish list candidates with large buyouts may not be off the table :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and minneman

I like that he’s making it clear that it is his decision and his decision alone. I don’t think I understand what he means by “cutting edge style” though. I’m leery about that phrase. We definitely don’t need another coach with a gimmick in here.

I like that he’s making it clear that it is his decision and his decision alone. I don’t think I understand what he means by “cutting edge style” though. I’m leery about that phrase. We definitely don’t need another coach with a gimmick in here.

I'm taking that as somebody that is a successful innovator of basketball offenses and defenses, not somebody that is stuck in "their" system. That was my knock on Archie, he seem to be married to his system no matter the obvious that his players where not being successful in it. And, somebody who's play will attract top talent.

From Dolson, "What’s important to us is that it’s a style of play that recruits want to play in and that recruits see that they can see themselves in, but then also is really on the cutting edge of where is basketball going?” Dolson said. “Where is college basketball going? And as you can see, basketball is different than it was three years ago, four years ago, six years ago in terms of how it fits into the NBA and moving on and playing professionally. I think we have to blend all of that together to have an attractive style of play, that obviously can win consistently, but that players want to play in and see themselves in. Playing in the Big Ten Conference is huge, you can see with the great league we had this year. You kind of want it all. You want to blend the ability to succeed in our conference, the ability to have a style of play the players want to play in, the recruits want to play in, and that ultimately prepares them for the next level, as well.”

Last edited:
Is Paul Westhead available? Loyola Marymount was pretty cutting edge and fun for a few years

Word on the street is that Indiana is willing to offer a $40 million/6 year contract to the right candidate. The money is there.

Reactions: outlawyer
I don't buy for a second that potential candidates weren't contacted prior to today. The way this whole thing has went down just screams that there is interest from somebody IMO

I suspect this is true...this has been WIP for a bit...conversations are likely ongoing...not to say complete or even nearing completion...but there's a list and there are conversations...

Reactions: Hoosier009 and 76-1
Word on the street is that Indiana is willing to offer a $40 million/6 year contract to the right candidate. The money is there.

Doesn't really jive with his PC. There's only a couple of candidates worth that much $....we know who they are....sounded more like he's looking for an up & comer.....

I'm taking that as somebody that is a successful innovator of basketball offenses and defenses, not somebody that is stuck in "their" system. That was my knock on Archie, he seem to be married to his system no matter the obvious that his players where not being successful in it. And, somebody who's play will attract top talent.

From Dolson, "What’s important to us is that it’s a style of play that recruits want to play in and that recruits see that they can see themselves in, but then also is really on the cutting edge of where is basketball going?” Dolson said. “Where is college basketball going? And as you can see, basketball is different than it was three years ago, four years ago, six years ago in terms of how it fits into the NBA and moving on and playing professionally. I think we have to blend all of that together to have an attractive style of play, that obviously can win consistently, but that players want to play in and see themselves in. Playing in the Big Ten Conference is huge, you can see with the great league we had this year. You kind of want it all. You want to blend the ability to succeed in our conference, the ability to have a style of play the players want to play in, the recruits want to play in, and that ultimately prepares them for the next level, as well.”
What exactly is “the next level“ for most players. Playing in Fort Wayne? Playing in Israel?
The reality right now is that Indiana basketball is not very good and has not been very good for quite a long time. And yet it seems to be that the school needs to spend more money on their coach in order to have a better program. How many times have we heard this?Two decades after Bob Knight leaves and we’re starting from ground zero all over again.

I don't buy for a second that potential candidates weren't contacted prior to today. The way this whole thing has went down just screams that there is interest from somebody IMO
In the presser he said they had reached out to a few candidates the last few weeks. Or did I get that wrong?

Oats is off the table due to a huge buyout.....

From the article, Dolson says that he has secured the finance from a donor on CAM's buyout (obvious now) and another donor for "transitional costs." Meaning, somebody else's buyout. That could be Oats, or somebody else. But I would say that nobody is off the table due to buyout alone.

What exactly is “the next level“ for most players. Playing in Fort Wayne? Playing in Israel?
The reality right now is that Indiana basketball is not very good and has not been very good for quite a long time. And yet it seems to be that the school needs to spend more money on their coach in order to have a better program. How many times have we heard this?Two decades after Bob Knight leaves and we’re starting from ground zero all over again.

That last sentence really resonates with me. I lived through the RMK years and I heard so many of my fellow fans say it would be easy to replace him, that life after RMK wouldn't be hard. I have a lot of resentment for that thinking 21 years later, when we are 0/4 in replacing him.

Isn't it going to be something like The Michigan State Spartans presented by Rocket Mortgage? We could have The Indiana Hoosiers, coached by Brad Stevens, presented by Eli Lilly at home games.
I don’t give AF if it is sponsored by Trojan if that means Brad Stevens is here...

Reactions: ufo33 and Chris A.

Did you really expect him to say that he made the move based on pressure from donors or fans? By saying that it was all "His decision alone" he solidifies his position as a decisive leader and gave cover to the donors that may have influenced him. Good move on his part.

“Cutting edge style” probably means an upbeat, up tempo exciting style of play as opposed to a ball control style like Princeton or Wisconsin. He mentioned that he wanted to emulate the NBA with an emphasis on shooting 3s. He's starting the marketing already. Another good move. I'll be curious to see who he gets. I like the way he's going about it.

Perhaps they're convinced that the contract they're offering is so large that people will have a hard time saying no. If you want to catch big fish, you have to use big bait.

Why Mosely? I dont get the appeal
I hadn't even heard of him but read this.

Jamahl Mosley (born October 69, 1969) is an American professional oop- coach and former player who is an ass coach for the Dallas Mavericks of the National Basketball Association (NBA). Mosley played college basketball for the Colorado Buffaloes and was a third-team All- Big 12 selection in 2000.

Interesting description to say the least!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT