ADVERTISEMENT

DOJ Finds Yale Discriminates

colleges have openly admitted to acceptance discrimination, or reverse discrimination if you wish, based in race for a long time going back to at least the 1970s, but argued the discrimination was justified, and the supremes have backed them..

whether it is justified or not seems to be a matter of personal opinion to me, but that's just my personal opinion.

Reactions: Tacoll
I always thought the whole thing was pretty ironic. Let's fight discrimination...with more discrimination. What could possibly go wrong?

Institutions are adjusting their recruiting approach based on other recent research to attract those who might not be considered a “mismatch” as discussed in The Atlantic article posted by another user. The University of Michigan is using that research in their recruiting now and I’ve used it in other analyses.

I still don’t understand those who automatically label this a discriminate and racist policy. Some kids have access to private tutors to help with their GPA and test scores. My college roommate took a high school class in suburban Chicago that was focused on preparing for the ACT. I grew up in nowhere Indiana and woke up one Saturday morning, and was like I guess I have that test today.

The article mentioned discussed the mismatch thing but it could also be a social issue, hence the need for diversity. I’m just not a fan of what makes the headline and others who don’t really understand other underlying factors.

Reactions: baileyiu
Unfortunately my parents weren't part of Hollywood.

Which gets to the point. Wealthy people (mostly White in this country) get tutors. They get to hire people who can put together their college resume and make sure it is perfect. Then they get 40 points added because grandpappy graduated there. And we don't think that is somehow racist?

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
Which gets to the point. Wealthy people (mostly White in this country) get tutors. They get to hire people who can put together their college resume and make sure it is perfect. Then they get 40 points added because grandpappy graduated there. And we don't think that is somehow racist?
Tutors can be free in virtually all high schools and colleges, if you look. They are not hard to find. This is just a flimsy excuse.

Reactions: 76-1

Why are you so quick to slight Asian Americans? They are the highest earning race.

Why are you so quick to slight Asian Americans? They are the highest earning race.
They are, but which group do you think has more of the top 1%? And since legacies had ancestors who attended the school, do you think more Asians get those points or Whites?

Tutors can be free in virtually all high schools and colleges, if you look. They are not hard to find. This is just a flimsy excuse.

Can be, I am sure the tutors available to the kid in the projects and in coal country is identical to the ones available in a Carmel. I mean the houses and cars are the same, so clearly instruction would be.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
Can be, I am sure the tutors available to the kid in the projects and in coal country is identical to the ones available in a Carmel. I mean the houses and cars are the same, so clearly instruction would be.
Is that my fault, that they live in coal country? Are we suppose to add 50 or 100 points to their SAT score if they live in Harlin Co Kentucky, or Gary Indiana? Do you think China gives a shit about all of this when they kick our ass in STEM courses. Should we tell them that it is not fair, and that they should allow more poor kids into their top Universities?

Is that my fault, that they live in coal country? Are we suppose to add 50 or 100 points to their SAT score if they live in Harlin Co Kentucky, or Gary Indiana? Do you think China gives a shit about all of this when they kick our ass in STEM courses. Should we tell them that it is not fair, and that they should allow more poor kids into their top Universities?
Perhaps it would be enough to simply not dismiss these disadvantages as "a flimsy excuse."

Marvin was talking about having to pay for tutors, as if rich people had an advantage. I merely pointed out that they are readily available.
No, you didn't merely point out that they are available. You also dismissed the argument as "a flimsy excuse." Marvin also countered with why their mere availability doesn't necessarily level the playing field, which is what sent you off on your strange rant about China.

Just curious...are hbcu usually considered top universities on par with Harvard Stanford Michigan etc?

Marvin was talking about having to pay for tutors, as if rich people had an advantage. I merely pointed out that they are readily available.

No, they're not. Please trust me on this one.

No, they're not. Please trust me on this one.
No, I will not “trust you on this” I have i kid just recently graduated from college, a second that is in college, and a third a Jr in high school. I know precisely what is available.

Do you have evidence this is happening? Sounds like a talking point to me.

The small group of people that I know who went Ivy League were simply smart people. None of them had tutors.

Reactions: Spartans9312
No, I will not “trust you on this” I have i kid just recently graduated from college, a second that is in college, and a third a Jr in high school. I know precisely what is available.

I am happy to hear that you have those, I assume free (?), resources, but that's absolutely not the case everywhere. I will say that the sources may be there in certain places, but students are unaware or unprepared to take advantage of those resources due to environmental reasons.

I am happy to hear that you have those, I assume free (?), resources, but that's absolutely not the case everywhere. I will say that the sources may be there in certain places, but students are unaware or unprepared to take advantage of those resources due to environmental reasons.
When we went to my daughters orientation last year as she was beginning college, there was an entire breakout on resources that they have available to help students, including free tutoring. There are also “hotlines” (not sure if that is exactly what they called them) that students can call. Professors are typically available to students. In high school, I have had kids that got up on their own to meet a teacher before school if they were having a problem with a particular class. I am sure that there are some tutors that charge, but there are plenty of opportunities available that are free. I suppose if a kid was really struggling, and needed a tutor on a regular basis, that there would be a charge. Of course, these probably are not the students looking to get into Yale.

No, you didn't merely point out that they are available. You also dismissed the argument as "a flimsy excuse." Marvin also countered with why their mere availability doesn't necessarily level the playing field, which is what sent you off on your strange rant about China.
Sorry that you were not able to connect the dots wrt China. I thought it was a fairly simple transition

Sorry that you were not able to connect the dots wrt China. I thought it was a fairly simple transition
No, it was a ridiculous escalation. Marvin said 1, and you responded with a 10. It's actually possible to disagree with someone without taking things to ridiculous extremes. As I said, it probably would have been enough for you to simply retract the "flimsy excuse" comment. Keep things within the realm of reasonable discussion.

I wonder why Kaplan has such a robust business if it's so easy.

Okay, I don't really wonder. It's because they deliver results that you don't get from the local free tutor at your high school. But, you gotta pay to get them.

Do you have evidence this is happening? Sounds like a talking point to me.

The small group of people that I know who went Ivy League were simply smart people. None of them had tutors.

So they didn't do any test prep? Didn't do extra paid education prep? A huge percentage of the well-off kids I know have all kinds of paid academic support? Summer classes/camps to prepare for high level math/science/etc., months of standardized testing prep, classes on how to write essays for your college applications, a lot of support during the school year to keep up. In privileged communities, it's part of the arms race. Unfortunately, a 4.0 and a nice test score doesn't get you all that far anymore and I am very sincere that I find it unfortunate that we put that much pressure on kids these days.

No, we shouldn't add any points to those kids from BFE. Nor should we add any points to those kids who apply whom have parents who attended the institution. Admission should be fair and equalized across the board.

Reactions: IUJIM
why especially against Asians?

From my understanding of the current lawsuit against Harvard, Asians are claiming their SAT scores had to be a hundred points higher than whites and several hundred points higher than blacks.
Curriculum were scrutinized more so than whites, blacks, among other things. Basically the bar for Asians and whites are set much higher for admission.
The case against Harvard will eventually reach the Supreme Court. I’m assuming the same will happen with Yale.

When universities change admission standards, benefiting one race while handicapping another, well, that’s the text book definition of racism.

Affirmative Acton in its purest form makes sense and most people should get behind that basic thought process.
The execution of this action is garbage.

It’s about time this “policy” heads long into reform. It’s morally and ethically wrong.
Nothing will change until the Supreme Court finally gets this right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT