ADVERTISEMENT

Dogs & us - The secrets of an unbreakable friendship

We put our first dog down last week due to ongoing medical reasons and I still feel a little bit numb. She was a shelter dog who was abused prior to us adopting her. We had her for just over 11 years and she was close to 13 years old.

We have another dog that we’ve had for 10 years and he’s a great dog, but he’s not quite like the one we lost.

We put our first dog down last week due to ongoing medical reasons and I still feel a little bit numb. She was a shelter dog who was abused prior to us adopting her. We had her for just over 11 years and she was close to 13 years old.

We have another dog that we’ve had for 10 years and he’s a great dog, but he’s not quite like the one we lost.
Sorry for your loss. That's tough.

I've experienced that too. Some dogs are good dogs but they can't really replace the ones we lost.

You are right. We were also recently reminded how important it is to be loved by someone and to give love to others. I remember the first time we got a dog that we registered as a helper. I know they qualify for an ESA letter to be adopted. We decided to try too as my husband was having problems and the kids were trying to look after them. The dog ended up being his friend who was always there for him. I think it's the best option for people when they have the opportunity to understand who's taking care of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
I made the mistake of giving my retriever my leftovers from lunch one day when I got home from work. Now she waits for me in the same spot every single day and she literally dances with excitement when I pull in. Cracks me up every time.
We have 8 animals on my little farm..
A pedigreed Quarter horse mare, a cart pony, and my barn cat...all rescues..
My doggo Stevie Ray came from Boone Humane...another was a stray...another came from a broken home...

They give me full time entertainment and a lot of encouragement....

I don't like dogs enough to own one, but they don't bother me either...but here's what I wonder: Dogs have to think we are wizards, right?

We are super tall frail creatures with dozens of magical contraptions, an unlimited supply of food that just appears whenever we need it, and from their perspective we probably don't appear to age at all.

As we are speaking of dogs … We’re on our 4th dog, a laid back blond cocker.
Digging for a citation … ran across this …

https://kfor.com/news/u-s-world/your-dogs-personality-has-little-to-do-with-its-breed-study-says/
Don't agree with the premise.
Have had collies for 23 years.
The collie has distinctive breed traits that in our experience have repeated. We are on our fifth, and she's the first female.
Can't imagine not having a collie around the place.

The collie has distinctive breed traits that in our experience have repeated. We are on our fifth, and she's the first female.
Yep. My daughter got an Aussie Shepherd and there are some innate traits I've never encountered in a dog and I attribute it to it being such a working breed. Also, never seen a dog with that kind of endurance or energy. I'm convinced if I continued throwing a ball endlessly, my arm would literally fall off before that dog would stop chasing it. And, with 100% gusto. Amazing. There are some bad traits too though and if they are breed wise, I'm not sure those dogs belong anywhere but on a farm or with someone who will work with it daily.

Yep. My daughter got an Aussie Shepherd and there are some innate traits I've never encountered in a dog and I attribute it to it being such a working breed. Also, never seen a dog with that kind of endurance or energy. I'm convinced if I continued throwing a ball endlessly, my arm would literally fall off before that dog would stop chasing it. And, with 100% gusto. Amazing. There are some bad traits too though and if they are breed wise, I'm not sure those dogs belong anywhere but on a farm or with someone who will work with it daily.
I want a trained-up Belgian Malnois, but my sister, who trains and fields cadaver search dogs advised me not to, for many of the reasons you mentioned, energy, resolute nature and endurance. Saw a video a while back of a Belgian jumping through the window of a moving van and pulling the driver out...."I gotta get me one of those"...

I want a trained-up Belgian Malnois, but my sister, who trains and fields cadaver search dogs advised me not to, for many of the reasons you mentioned, energy, resolute nature and endurance. Saw a video a while back of a Belgian jumping through the window of a moving van and pulling the driver out...."I gotta get me one of those"...
I've never had or been around an Aussie, but it's a handful for her as a first dog and frankly, he's tough for me to train on some pretty basic stuff. But, I can just tell I'm fighting genetics in most cases, not his own obstinance or stupidity... very smart dog.

My last dog was a labradoodle and the best dog I ever had. When I get another, I'll get one of those again, but probably a little smaller. Cookie was about 80 lbs and I'd like one around 50, so it's not like getting around another person when she's in a tight space. There are many great dogs and breeds, but the lack of shedding is really what separates those for me. I've really started to hate shedding!

Reactions: vesuvius13
I have had three golden retrievers and I wouldn't have another breed now. I have had other dogs in the past but goldens are in tune with humans like no other breed I have had. I have had dogs I loved dearly but they don't match my goldens attention to people. I take mine to the dog park now and he visits all the owners while ignoring the other dogs. He is fine with other dogs but clearly wants human attention.

I couldn't ask for a calmer, gentler dog that is in tune with the times my body requires me to do less and still willing to get out when I can.

dogs are wonderful.

that said, leash laws have greatly diminished the wonderfulness of having a dog, both for the owner and for the dog.

and have had a huge effect on the size and what breed dogs people get.

pre leash laws for all dogs, it was common that only certain breeds and dogs over a certain weight, maybe 30 lbs, had to be on a leash when off property.

pre leash laws for all dogs for places that now have that, people who loved having a dog, but couldn't make it an all day everyday year round job, got non agressive breed dogs that weren't that big, and just let them out when the dog wanted to go out, and back in when the dog wanted back in.

and the dogs got to enjoy freedom themselves outside their own yard.

and dogs grew up with people outside their own family, and weren't on a leash mandating they defend that perimeter since they can't just run away or keep a distance.

so most dog owners had medium to smaller dogs, and stayed away from aggressive breeds, because it was infinitely easier on the dog owner to not have to always have them on a leash, and took them off 24 hr yr round dog walking duty.

and no having to bag dog poop. ever.

when big govt leash laws for all dogs took over, among the unanticipated consequences was, many people started getting much bigger dogs, and ownership of aggressive breeds like pitbulls etc increased 10 fold at minimum.

i miss the old way.

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta
My brother has a farm and a border collie. That dog literally takes care of the animals herself, more or less. She brings them in every morning and takes them back out every afternoon.

He can’t imagine doing all the work that dog does.

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta
dogs are wonderful.

that said, leash laws have greatly diminished the wonderfulness of having a dog, both for the owner and for the dog.

and have had a huge effect on the size and what breed dogs people get.

pre leash laws for all dogs, it was common that only certain breeds and dogs over a certain weight, maybe 30 lbs, had to be on a leash when off property.

pre leash laws for all dogs for places that now have that, people who loved having a dog, but couldn't make it an all day everyday year round job, got non agressive breed dogs that weren't that big, and just let them out when the dog wanted to go out, and back in when the dog wanted back in.

and the dogs got to enjoy freedom themselves outside their own yard.

and dogs grew up with people outside their own family, and weren't on a leash mandating they defend that perimeter since they can't just run away or keep a distance.

so most dog owners had medium to smaller dogs, and stayed away from aggressive breeds, because it was infinitely easier on the dog owner to not have to always have them on a leash, and took them off 24 hr yr round dog walking duty.

and no having to bag dog poop. ever.

when big govt leash laws for all dogs took over, among the unanticipated consequences was, many people started getting much bigger dogs, and ownership of aggressive breeds like pitbulls etc increased 10 fold at minimum.

i miss the old way.
Coyotes are a prime reason for owning bigger dogs in my 'hood,'
The little one disappear....

Coyotes are a prime reason for owning bigger dogs in my 'hood,'
The little one disappear....

on that note, it would have been unheard of to see a deer in urban Btown for the first several decades of my life.

same with skunks.

an occasional raccoon or opossum though.

now it's not uncommon at all to see multiple deer walking down the street in residential areas, or have several in your yard.

lots of skunks now too.

raccoons definitely a problem now, and they love attics.

as to why the change from then to now, i have no doubt it's the leash laws.

and coyotes weren't an issue before leash laws either.

that said, while i really hate the leash laws, i do really enjoy having the deer.

ADVERTISEMENT