ADVERTISEMENT

Dog vs Raccoon

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
My dog usually spends all day outside in our fenced in backyard and comes inside in the evening. She has a dog house outside in a pen she sometimes sleeps in during the day. I keep food and water in there but only close the door when we have company that don't care for a 50 lb husky that likes to sit on their laps.

She hasn't wanted to come inside the last few nights. The nights have been cool and I figured she preferred outside. Frustrated and not able to catch her, we let her stay outside. I noticed recently she would run into her pen in the morning. I figured she smelled the squirrels that she chases all day. It probably was something else she was looking for.

I went to work and got a call at 8:30 from my wife that there was a huge dead animal on the patio. I came home and found a pretty big raccoon. I turned my attention to my dog for injuries. There was nothing. Not a scratch. She was very tired today. She was probably up all night waiting for that dog food stealing raccoon to come down out of a tree. My wife's friend called her a bad ass. Maybe, but she loves people, especially kids and she loves other dogs. I just hope a skunk doesn't wander into our yard,

She came inside tonight without protest. Mission accomplished! She is the master of her backyard again. Sleep well Indiana Hoosier Spirit!

My dog usually spends all day outside in our fenced in backyard and comes inside in the evening. She has a dog house outside in a pen she sometimes sleeps in during the day. I keep food and water in there but only close the door when we have company that don't care for a 50 lb husky that likes to sit on their laps.

She hasn't wanted to come inside the last few nights. The nights have been cool and I figured she preferred outside. Frustrated and not able to catch her, we let her stay outside. I noticed recently she would run into her pen in the morning. I figured she smelled the squirrels that she chases all day. It probably was something else she was looking for.

I went to work and got a call at 8:30 from my wife that there was a huge dead animal on the patio. I came home and found a pretty big raccoon. I turned my attention to my dog for injuries. There was nothing. Not a scratch. She was very tired today. She was probably up all night waiting for that dog food stealing raccoon to come down out of a tree. My wife's friend called her a bad ass. Maybe, but she loves people, especially kids and she loves other dogs. I just hope a skunk doesn't wander into our yard,

She came inside tonight without protest. Mission accomplished! She is the master of her backyard again. Sleep well Indiana Hoosier Spirit!

Coon(tang) makes us all a bit badder and braver.

Maybe he humped the dead carcass. Kinky little bastard.

Last edited:

You're lucky she didn't carry it up to the house to show you what she did.

Wow, your dog is a real hero. But be careful mate, I understand that your dog is a worrier, and he is defending your home, but in fights like that he can get serious injuries. I am telling you this because my dog got into a fight with another dog, and got a very serious tooth injury. I remember that he took a lot of treatment sessions, and I even bought for him some sort of additives from thepetsmaster.com. Just be more careful with your dog next time, and try to protect him too. Have a nice one.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT