ADVERTISEMENT

Does your favorite music reveal your political beliefs?

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot
Favorite genres:

Whether you’re a Democrat, Republican, or Independent, the top two genres are classic rock and then pop. This is heartening—some things we do agree on. Going down the list there are differences, sure, but still…
Tasteful-Tunes.jpg

To Trump or not to Trump
KISS or Beyoncé? They’re the #2 artists on both sides of this question, with recent events casting doubt on #1 as shown.

White_House_Blues.jpg

Legalization of marijuana:

Devil's_Lettuce.jpg

Gun control:

Right_to_Bear_Beats.jpg

A border wall:

Another_Brick_in_the_Wall.jpg

https://bigthink.com/robby-berman/are-our-politics-revealed-by-our-favorite-music-infographics

Reactions: vesuvius13
Favorite genres:

Whether you’re a Democrat, Republican, or Independent, the top two genres are classic rock and then pop. This is heartening—some things we do agree on. Going down the list there are differences, sure, but still…
Tasteful-Tunes.jpg

To Trump or not to Trump
KISS or Beyoncé? They’re the #2 artists on both sides of this question, with recent events casting doubt on #1 as shown.

White_House_Blues.jpg

Devil's_Lettuce.jpg

Gun control:

Right_to_Bear_Beats.jpg

A border wall:

https://bigthink.com/robby-berman/are-our-politics-revealed-by-our-favorite-music-infographics
I stopped reading when it said that jazz listeners don't want to legalize marijuana.

Favorite genres:

Tasteful-Tunes.jpg

To Trump or not to Trump

White_House_Blues.jpg

Devil's_Lettuce.jpg

Gun control:

Right_to_Bear_Beats.jpg

A border wall:

I gotta preach ..

Almost all musical genres used since 1965 are very poor descriptors of the music they represent. They're more based on marketing than anything technical or musical. The early 20th styles are still mostly pure.

Sympathy for the Devil is a samba. Black Mountain Side by Zep is Moroccan folk. Revolution by the Beatles and Honky Tonk Woman are Delta blues. Metal has more musical similarity to classical than rock and roll. Current R&B is neither. Folk and country? Only real difference is the use of an accent. The exception being the Greenwich Village folk of the late 50s early 60s, which was mostly Piedmont blues. The Eagles, and the Grateful Dead were as much country as anything else. ACDC is purely blues, not metal.

Many classic rock fans say they hate country but listen to country daily. They just don't understand that it is country. Current Nashville bro country fans are musical morons, we'll just dismiss them. Pop music hasn't changed much musically since the Brill Building. Only the tones and the instruments used, and its all baroque.

This just tells me that neither side knows what they're actually listening to because the art and music education in this country is horribly lacking (but we still have football in almost every HS) and a majority of both sides are plagued by bad taste borne of complete ignorance.

vbg

Last edited:
I stopped reading when it said that jazz listeners don't want to legalize marijuana.

it didn't say that. it said basically 81% are pro legalization.

the poll presentation is misleading or misprinted.

the Kanye side with response percentages in the 80s are for "agree" with legalization.

the Garth side with percentages in the 20s is for "disagree" with legalization.

so while the Kanye side has 80+% pro legalization, the Garth side still has 70+ % pro legaization.

jazz fans are 80.9 pro.

no results shown for Snoop's fans, but we could guess..

the poll results above are very deceptively presented imo.

I gotta preach ..

Almost all musical genres used since 1965 are very poor descriptors of the music they represent. They're more based on marketing than anything technical or musical. The early 20th styles are still mostly pure.

Sympathy for the Devil is a samba. Black Mountain Side by Zep is Moroccan folk. Revolution by the Beatles and Honky Tonk Woman are Delta blues. Metal has more musical similarity to classical than rock and roll. Current R&B is neither. Folk and country? Only real difference is the use of an accent. The exception being the Greenwich Village folk of the late 50s early 60s, which was mostly Piedmont blues. The Eagles, and the Grateful Dead were as much country as anything else. ACDC is purely blues, not metal.

Many classic rock fans say they hate country but listen to country daily. They just don't understand that it is country. Current Nashville bro country fans are musical morons, we'll just dismiss them. Pop music hasn't changed much musically since the Brill Building. Only the tones and the instruments used, and its all baroque.

This just tells me that neither side knows what they're actually listening to because the art and music education in this country is horribly lacking (but we still have football in almost every HS) and a majority of both sides are plagued by bad taste borne of complete ignorance.

vbg

you're using a pretext that structure is the defining characteristic.

in reality, it's presentation that defines the genres.

I gotta preach ..

vbg

Because music during my formative years was so varied -- from reggae, ska to pop, punk, new wave, to metal rock to heavy metal to jazz, classical,blues, Motown, hip-hop, house, opera to a fusion of various genres/sampling, shaped me into who I am today ie. my identity -- of diverse interests and very accepting of diversity and therefore politics -- and the abhorrence towards dogma, rigidity and intolerance.

Reactions: T.M.P.
I think quite a bit of that is related to age and if you are of a certain age, you tend to like this or that.

Based on what this poll indicates, my playlist would not be very "conservative" at all...other than the classic rock. I grew up listening to my parents' music on the radio, so I have an affinity for quite a bit of 60's and 70's pop and rock music (and a little 50's as well...for anyone who grew up in the Fort Wayne area, think Majic 95.1's musical selection in the 80's).

My list more resembles a Democrats'.

Music snob alert...:p

I gotta preach ..

vbg
Hahaha, I'm remembering you once claiming that Little Feat's "Dixie Chicken" was the "best song in the history of the world" (exaggeration for emphasis is mine) Was that you? I'd take "Little Martha" before DC in any music draft

Last edited:
Favorite genres:

Tasteful-Tunes.jpg

To Trump or not to Trump

White_House_Blues.jpg

Devil's_Lettuce.jpg

Gun control:

Right_to_Bear_Beats.jpg

A border wall:

Where would KoRn fall in this fairy tale?

Pretty interesting. i always enjoy reading this type of research despite it's obvious limitations.

I think quite a bit of that is related to age and if you are of a certain age, you tend to like this or that.

Based on what this poll indicates, my playlist would not be very "conservative" at all...other than the classic rock. I grew up listening to my parents' music on the radio, so I have an affinity for quite a bit of 60's and 70's pop and rock music (and a little 50's as well...for anyone who grew up in the Fort Wayne area, think Majic 95.1's musical selection in the 80's).

My list more resembles a Democrats'.
Antifa with a touch of QAnon obviously.
Woul it surprise you to learn that Brian Welch and Munky Shaffer are both Born-Again Christians?

Last edited:
So basically more Republicans like country music, more Democrats (esp. blacks) like hip hop, and more Libertarians like to smoke pot (and listen to Reggae).

Reactions: td75
I gotta preach ..

vbg
You’re being way too analytical here. Just listen and enjoy what sounds good to you. Quit being a labeler!! LOL

you're using a pretext that structure is the defining characteristic.

in reality, it's presentation that defines the genres.
Exactly. Structure does not define style. Someone going to claim Bluegrass is actually Uyghur folk music?

Structure does not define style.
Depends. No not the things that Trump wears under his girdle but what structure you're talking about.

Bluegrass is closely related to Irish folk, especially reels. But like I said in my first post, most of those terms that are used to define musical genres are more for people in music stores. Older styles have musical definition: classical, jazz, blues, bluegrass etc as they have defined rules determining what is played but from the day Dylan plugged in at Newport and the Beatles used classical instrumentation in the studio, it's just become musical soup and defined more by instrumentation, lyrical content, marketing targets, social significance and tone both in instruments and vocals than any hardline musical structure.

fwiw - country, as far as the style made in Nashville, is pure formulaic tripe and is made for consumption by rubes, like ay other disposable pop music. It's basically McDonalds in an audio form. It's as fake as any music can be. So ironic that Trumpers are the ones that listen to it ...

What type of music is this? It has elements of rock n roll, blues, jazz, and country.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Antifa with a touch of QAnon obviously.
The American version of antifa started in the punk music scene of the 70's and 80's. Not as an organization of course because it isn't one but the punk music scene (US and British) was split into two factions: Nazis (skinheads) and Antifa (non racists). They basically borrowed the name ..

Not safe for fragile ears ....

Reactions: sglowrider
Hahaha, I'm remembering you once claiming that Little Feat's "Dixie Chicken" was the "best song in the history of the world" (exaggeration for emphasis is mine) Was that you? I'd take "Little Martha" before DC in any music draft
If Dixie Chicken isn't the the best song in the history of the world, it's definitely one of the top ten. (sincerity is mine)

Depends. No not the things that Trump wears under his girdle but what structure you're talking about.

Bluegrass is closely related to Irish folk, especially reels. But like I said in my first post, most of those terms that are used to define musical genres are more for people in music stores. Older styles have musical definition: classical, jazz, blues, bluegrass etc as they have defined rules determining what is played but from the day Dylan plugged in at Newport, and Beatles used classical instrumentation in the studio, it's just become musical soup and defined more by instrumentation, lyrical content, marketing targets and tone than any hardline musical structure.

fwiw - country, as far as the style made in Nashville, is pure formulaic tripe and is made for consumption by rubes, like ay other disposable pop music. It's basically McDonalds in an audio form. It's as fake as any music can be. So ironic that Trumpers are the ones that listen to it ...
Way to generalize. I will bite for Trump and I vomit if country comes on the radio. Quit trying to make us look like brainless rednecks.

Concur .....

It's an exceptional arrangement that has a little bit of every American musical style in it. Most underrated band in history ..
Plus the lyrics. Really visual storytelling that turns out to be a joke with a great punchline. Absolutely brilliant. The live version on Waiting for Columbus is spectacular.

Waiting for Columbus
Agree, and that's the country part of that song.

Some people can't get past the 'Dixie chicken Tennessee lamb' goofiness and don't really get that song or don't take it seriously. The magic is in the music, that arrangement is just so well crafted. I really like the versions with the dixieland horns included.

I wish I could have heard them live (with LG, I've heard them multiple times without) but George died when I was still a child.

Today's a good day for Feat ... so ...

Now this is country ... but with a piano part included, which is not very country. Love the vocal melody on the chorus.

I like to see someone define what genre this is .. LF was defined as rock, country rock, sometimes even called Southern rock, this is none of those things.

Last edited:
Reactions: mainway_toys
Agree, and that's the country part of that song.

Some people can't get past the 'Dixie chicken Tennessee lamb' goofiness and don't really get that song or don't take it seriously. The magic is in the music, that arrangement is just so well crafted. I really like the versions with the dixieland horns included.

I wish I could have heard them live (with LG, I've heard them multiple times without) but George died when I was still a child.

Today's a good day for Feat ... so ...

Now this is country ... but with a piano part included, which is not very country. Love the vocal melody on the chorus.

I like to see someone define what genre this is .. LF was defined as rock, country rock, sometimes even called Southern rock, this is none of those things.
That's the same recording of Spanish Moon on Waiting for Columbus. Another great song.

The weird thing about Lowell George is that he was the son of Hollywood furrier and grew up next to Errol Flynn. The closest he ever got to driving a truck was briefly working at a gas station while still a starving musician in LA....but he still managed to sound like a authentic southerner.

If Dixie Chicken isn't the the best song in the history of the world, it's definitely one of the top ten. (sincerity is mine)
I'm not here to mock, scorn or scoff. Unlike TMP, I am neither a musician nor a music historian. I don't know what's supposed to be good, I just know what I like. Dixie Chicken is not a song I keep in my playlist. I rejected it back in the mid-70s and after listening to it again a few minutes ago, I haven't changed my mind. I see where it's #10 in the Rolling Stone Top 25 list of Southern Comforts, so there's that...

Plus the lyrics. Really visual storytelling that turns out to be a joke with a great punchline. Absolutely brilliant. The live version on Waiting for Columbus is spectacular.
Top to bottom, that's one of the best live albums of the 20th Century. I usually peg 4 Way Street, Fillmore East, and Les McCann at Montreux as my all-time favs, but if I had to shoehorn another in there, that would be the one.

Top to bottom, that's one of the best live albums of the 20th Century. I usually peg 4 Way Street, Fillmore East, and Les McCann at Montreux as my all-time favs, but if I had to shoehorn another in there, that would be the one.
Can't argue with that group. Add James Brown - Live at the Apollo and that's a great top five..

Deja Vu .... we've done this before . And no Frampton Comes Alive still only qualifies if you're a girl... vbg and your ears are tuned to a higher register. NTTAWWTOC.

Can't argue with that group. Add James Brown - Live at the Apollo and that's a great top five..

Deja Vu .... we've done this before . And no Frampton Comes Alive still only qualifies if you're a girl... vbg and your ears are tuned to a higher register. NTTAWWTOC.
Frampton Comes Alive was a very good live album, but I wouldn't put it on par with the very best.

I was sure you'd put Get Yer Ya-Yas out on the list.

Edit: Honorable mention to Steve Goodman Live at the Earl of Old Town and the quintessential John Prine Live.

Frampton Comes Alive was a very good live album, but I wouldn't put it on par with the very best.

I was sure you'd put Get Yer Ya-Yas out on the list.

Edit: Honorable mention to Steve Goodman Live at the Earl of Old Town and the quintessential John Prine Live.
It's up there ..

Those are all really good. (except the Frampton lol) If I had to pick favorite besides ones listed. it would be Grateful Dead Reckoning (For the Faithful). Wouldn't say its historically great or important, but you know, purely subjective opinion. Coltrane's Live at the Village is up there too. I'd add GD Dead Set too. Simon and Garfunkel Central Park. NY Live Rust and Weld. Band Last Waltz. VU Rock n Roll Animal. And for guilty pleasure Megadeth One Night Live. lol ...

Nirvana unplugged (if for no other reason the 3 tracks with the Kirkwood Bro’s from the meat puppets), x live at the whiskey , Marley live at the Roxy, Lou Reed live in Italy, GD hundred year hall, replacements when the s#%t hits the fans, husker du the living end, and take your pick of a Dylan.

bonus: the following movies;: “Rude Boy” the clash, “Rockers”, “the Harder they come “ (which is airing on showtime this month along with the Marley doc.)

Last edited:
Great pick. Unlike 72, (same tour) it's not doctored and sped up.
I imagine that folk music is probably more popular with everyone than they remember. And that's because you just don't hear it much anymore.

I imagine that folk music is probably more popular with everyone than they remember. And that's because you just don't hear it much anymore.
Yes, and yes in a way, but ..

It's all really a blur with no real defining lines. Every genre is more a suggestion than a rule. Folk is just a way to describe non classical regional music or people with a guitar singing old time songs and songs about politics in sparse generally single instrument arrangements without drums ... lol.

If you add drums and multi instruments with an electric bass to the same song. It becomes alt country. If you add traditional string instruments only it becomes Americana. If you dress up in 20's like outfits and look down while playing it becomes shoegaze. If you add a douchebag clown and with a giant belt buckle, too tight pants, wearing an asshat it becomes Nashville country. If played by a person in a hair band, it's a ballad.

Folk music or the most popular American form was Greenwich Village folk in the early 60's. Some of it, in composition, technique and structure, was basically Piedmont blues and pre blues with a change in the lyrical format. It moved west and became popular with outlaw country players in Texas like Townes who played a simplified form.and was stolen by Merle Travis and called Travis picking and refined by Chet Atkins who turned it into something else.

The particular style I'm talking about is alternating bass, (most blues have constant) finger picked guitar rhythm structures with underlying melody played in simile (most blues are in counter) to the vocal melody.

Examples would be Mississippi John Hurt, Rev Gary Davis, John Prine, Townes Van Zandt, Arlo Guthrie, Merle Travis, Dave Von Ronk, Jerry Garcia (some songs on Shady Grove), Liza Cotten and Dylan on songs like Don't Think Twice it's Alright., plus many many more. Though played with different inflections, tempo, complexity and feel, the foundation of the songs are in pre blues and how they are played is the same.

It's all Baroque .. and beat.

Last edited:

Frampton and Steve Marriott w/ Humble Pie, "Natural Born Bugie". It doesn't go anywhere, it doesn't do anything. I just like it. Live, b&w Beat Club version

Last edited:
A re-creation of the "Classical Gas Video" from the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour June 1968... Created originally by Dan McLaughlin from his student film, God is Dog Spelled Backwards... Re-created by a rogue editor... 3,000 years of fine art in 3 minutes ...

Vimeo.com/612081

You are now cultered

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT