ADVERTISEMENT

Does UN belong

Go Hoosiers!

I'm all for keeping them around just to be able beat them several more times... Perhaps they'll learn to take our program seriously at some point and stop begging to get us on their schedule...

I'm still chuckling about Frost saying he wanted a real Big Ten schedule this year and then Moos whining about actually getting one ((has a Nebraska AD ever had a more appropriate name(?!?)...)):D:)🤣

I'm torn as to whether to hope they have a good year so we get to beat them in game #9... ;)

Last edited:
I'm all for keeping them around just to be able beat them several more times... Perhaps they'll learn to take our program seriously at some point and stop begging to get us on their schedule...

I'm still chuckling about Frost saying he wanted a real Big Ten schedule this year and then Moos whining about actually getting one ((has a Nebraska AD ever had a more appropriate name(?!?)...)):D:)🤣

I'm torn as to whether to hope they have a good year so we get to beat them in game #9... ;)
Losers think they are being punished while winners think they are being given opportunities.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
Losers think they are being punished while winners think they are being given opportunities.
Any team in the West division complaining about their schedule is pathetic. Playing Penn State and OSU every year ( along with UM and MSU, who are still consistently better than everybody in the west with the exception of Wisconsin) is a fact of life for us. We also get either Wisconsin or Iowa 2 of every 3 years.

Nebraska is free to leave anytime it wishes, IMO. Don't let the door hit 'ya where the good Lord split 'ya. If I had my way, they would leave and take Rutgers with them. Six teams in each division would leave room for another OOC game or another conference crossover. Either of those would be preferable to the current arrangement.

I'll trade schedules with them. I'd like to play them again this year at our place. They are getting the treatment IU has had for years. Fodder for top national programs in B1G. Welcome to the club. Got to win your way out like Wisky did years ago. I hope we are on a similar trajectory. Win respect on the field. Go Hoosiers!
PS I like Nebraska in the B1G. Their AD just popping off like Frost. Just noise for the base. Nothing to see here.

Reactions: vesuvius13
UN was spoiled by 30 years at the top of a conference with 2 teams at the top and, at most, 1 other team having a generational team.

Beating Kansas, Missouri, & Iowa St. but losing the Orange Bowl got old, but then the moves to the Big 12 & Big 10 were a rude awakening for them.

Adding Nebraska in the first place was a real head scratcher. They are not only mediocre in athletics but they are lowest ranked Big Ten schools across the board academically. Personally hope the conference removes them, and brings in Missouri. But we shall see.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Adding Nebraska in the first place was a real head scratcher. They are not only mediocre in athletics but they are lowest ranked Big Ten schools across the board academically. Personally hope the conference removes them, and brings in Missouri. But we shall see.
Ten years of home sellout attendance, 50K+ at Spring game. Fan base covers about 5 states..extremely strong alumni road support.
Many plusses to consider.

Neb is a much bigger brand than Mizzou.

that said, the B10, PAC, and SEC, took Neb, Col, Mizzou, and A&M, hoping Texas and OU would leave too in an effort to bring down the B12 all together as a major conference.

UMd was taken by the B10 in hopes a couple other ACC schools like UNC and UVa would come too, not because the B10 wanted those schools, but in an effort to bring down the ACC as well.

RU was taken to keep them from going to and propping up the ACC.

everyone assumes this was about tv money, which it was, but not in the form most people think.

none of the added schools are a financial plus to legacy B10 schools due to additional BTN money or tier money once the added equal shares are figured in.

the bigger payouts now are due to new tier 1,2 contracts, not the additions. (every new multi yr contract brings a huge revenue jump for all major sports leagues, amateur or pro).

think of all this more in terms of a corporate takeover move for consolidation leverage with buyers.

the B10, SEC, and PAC, wanted to reduce the number of major conferences from 6 counting the Big East, to 3.

the reason they wanted to do this was for additional leverage in carriage rights negotiations with the networks like CBS, NBC, Disney/ESPN, Fox, and in the future the internet players.

the NFL was the template they saw as the gold standard, where all the networks had to bid against each other for one monopoly entity.

while the hoped for remaining big 3 they were going for still wasn't a single player monopoly like the NFL, 4 major networks bidding against each other for 3 properties, is a much different dynamic than 4 networks bidding against each other for 6 properties.

think of it this way.

if you have 4 buyers bidding on 6 houses for sale, that's a much different negotiating dynamic than 4 buyers bidding against each other on 3 houses for sale.

changing the negotiating dynamic is where the big money was, not adding a few schools in markets the B10, SEC, and PAC, were already bringing in some tv dollars already, and having to eventually split the pie, both financially and in voting shares, evenly with every school added.

Last edited:
There could be a new slogan. "Get UN out of the Big Ten"!
Remember when get UN out of the Big 10 referred to Northwestern a number of years ago?
Nebraska. Where the big Red N stands for Nowledge.

I don't want them out of the League, overall I think they are a good fit. Rutgers and Maryland don't really fit in my mind. Missouri would have made more sense.
The whole idea of having Rutgers and Maryland join was to gain media and recruiting exposure in the New York and Washington Media Markets. However, those are primarily Professional Sports Cities. I bet Rutgers football coverage is lucky to make page 10 of the Sports Section. Maryland probably better because they are the only major University in the Washington Area fielding a BCS Football Team.

I don't want them out of the League, overall I think they are a good fit. Rutgers and Maryland don't really fit in my mind. Missouri would have made more sense.
I think the purpose of Rutgers and Maryland was to increase big ten exposure for basketball recruiting

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT