ADVERTISEMENT

Does this board provide insight into ...

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
I was struck by the parallels between this board and this poll on attitudes about the virus between Trump and Clinton supporters. Keep in mind this poll distinguishes between party affiliation and how someone voted in 2016. That is the main identifier people are asked when they join the pool of people opting in and expressing a willingness to be polled...

"According to the Yahoo News/YouGov survey, Americans in Trump Country and Clinton Country are experiencing and reacting to lockdown in very different ways.

It’s logical to wonder whether such differences simply reflect different circumstances in the communities where Trump and Clinton voters tend to live: i.e., red, rural, inland America (where the coronavirus has spread less rapidly) vs. blue, urban, coastal America (where the deadly pathogen has hit hardest), respectively.

But the poll suggests this isn’t necessarily the case. In fact, Trump voters and Clinton voters are equally likely — at 61 percent and 59 percent, respectively — to say they live in communities where “most people” are staying home, even if the share of Trump voters who say they’re not under lockdowns (20 percent) is higher than the share of Clinton voters who say the same thing (13 percent).

Greater economic hardship doesn’t seem to explain the higher levels of resistance to lockdown among Trump voters, either. Asked how much the shutdown has affected their income over the last month, 36 percent of Trump voters say their earnings have decreased. Thirty-five percent of Clinton voters say the same thing. The share of Clinton and Trump voters who say they have been laid off because of the pandemic is also the same (10 percent vs. 9 percent).

Yet while almost no Clinton voters (a mere 7 percent) agree with the view that stay-at-home orders are an example of “the cure being worse than the disease,” a full 41 percent of Trump voters say just that. That’s 9 points higher than Republicans overall and 20 points higher than registered voters more broadly."

https://news.yahoo.com/new-yahoo-ne...recautions-than-clinton-voters-145548618.html

Interested in hearing how people in each camp (voted Trump/ voted Clinton) feel the poll findings are representative of or divergent from your own personal feelings...

I was struck by the parallels between this board and this poll on attitudes about the virus between Trump and Clinton supporters. Keep in mind this poll distinguishes between party affiliation and how someone voted in 2016. That is the main identifier people are asked when they join the pool of people opting in and expressing a willingness to be polled...

"According to the Yahoo News/YouGov survey, Americans in Trump Country and Clinton Country are experiencing and reacting to lockdown in very different ways.

It’s logical to wonder whether such differences simply reflect different circumstances in the communities where Trump and Clinton voters tend to live: i.e., red, rural, inland America (where the coronavirus has spread less rapidly) vs. blue, urban, coastal America (where the deadly pathogen has hit hardest), respectively.

But the poll suggests this isn’t necessarily the case. In fact, Trump voters and Clinton voters are equally likely — at 61 percent and 59 percent, respectively — to say they live in communities where “most people” are staying home, even if the share of Trump voters who say they’re not under lockdowns (20 percent) is higher than the share of Clinton voters who say the same thing (13 percent).

Greater economic hardship doesn’t seem to explain the higher levels of resistance to lockdown among Trump voters, either. Asked how much the shutdown has affected their income over the last month, 36 percent of Trump voters say their earnings have decreased. Thirty-five percent of Clinton voters say the same thing. The share of Clinton and Trump voters who say they have been laid off because of the pandemic is also the same (10 percent vs. 9 percent).

Yet while almost no Clinton voters (a mere 7 percent) agree with the view that stay-at-home orders are an example of “the cure being worse than the disease,” a full 41 percent of Trump voters say just that. That’s 9 points higher than Republicans overall and 20 points higher than registered voters more broadly."

https://news.yahoo.com/new-yahoo-ne...recautions-than-clinton-voters-145548618.html

Interested in hearing how people in each camp (voted Trump/ voted Clinton) feel the poll findings are representative of or divergent from your own personal feelings...
I'd guess the biggest factor is where one gets one's news. Someone inside the right wing bubble is getting everything slanted toward money. Outside we get it slanted toward science and health.

I suspect age also plays a factor. If I was 20 years younger I'd be less at risk and much less aware of my own mortality. I'd also have less financial padding to soften the income hit I'm taking due to my furlough.

I'd guess the biggest factor is where one gets one's news. Someone inside the right wing bubble is getting everything slanted toward money. Outside we get it slanted toward science and health.

I suspect age also plays a factor. If I was 20 years younger I'd be less at risk and much less aware of my own mortality. I'd also have less financial padding to soften the income hit I'm taking due to my furlough.

LOL. Good to know that nonstop talking about xenophobia, racism, GOP wanting to kill people, and Trump-bashing is "science and health". Who knew?

Reactions: AtlantaCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT