ADVERTISEMENT

Does this article offend you?

As opposed to crowing about your programs best 5 year run in history where you still don't receive the time of day? Has to suck.
Certainly the best stretch since I’ve been old enough to care but doubt it’s the best stretch in school history (you guys love the old days so maybe you know better than me though). What I do know is this thread sure has your attention.

let’s hope for a good game Saturday. Sucks you guys are down a starter. Need the rivalry to start looking good nationally again!

Reactions: C'ville Boiler
They are better, absolutely. More relevant, nope. The national media is more concerned with Archies hot seat, than Purdues relative success. Now if you want to say Illinois or Michigan is more relevant nationally then I agree.

Actually it’s us making fun of your inferiority complex and false sense of relevance. I thought you would have picked up on that

Yeah because posting an 18 paragraph sentiment boasting about beating a rival who hasn't made the tournament in 4 years doesn't scream inferiority complex? Purdue's barometer of success has and will always be IU. And why wouldn't it be? This is what having zero national relevancy or success looks like. Purdue fans have no clue.

IU still pulls in great recruiting classes regardless of who the coach is. To say IU isn’t nationally relevant in recruiting is just laughable. IU recruits itself.

Now if we could just get a coach who understood today’s game...
I’m no Purdue fan, but several of your posts have me scratching my head. We haven’t had a “great” recruiting class at IU in a long time. I don’t care what any recruiting service said, most of the players have been very average. Also, in one of your posts you appeared to be bragging that IU has been out recruiting Purdue, even though Purdue has dominated us on the court. This is somehow a good thing? It just points out how bad we truly are. The irony in your post was very impressive.

I’m no Purdue fan, but several of your posts have me scratching my head. We haven’t had a “great” recruiting class at IU in a long time. I don’t care what any recruiting service said, most of the players have been very average. Also, in one of your posts you appeared to be bragging that IU has been out recruiting Purdue, even though Purdue has dominated us on the court. This is somehow a good thing? It just points out how bad we truly are. The irony in your post was very impressive.
2019 wasn’t a great class? An All-American and a guy who is probably going to be a a multi time All-Big Ten player?

My point on our out recruiting Purdue was that recruiting will never be an issue at IU. Every coach we have had since Knight has landed good recruits. Archie is a terrible coach and in over his head (no pun intended). All it takes is a coach that knows what they are doing to turn it around. We’ve only had one of those at IU since Knight left, but we had to fire him for too many phone calls.

We still do.....case in point
We did it while kicking their ass, even as they desperately tried to talk trash to us. If you were around then, you’d know what I mean, as well as understand how the tables have turned, as well as the irony of our fans trying to talk trash to them. Yet another example of how far we’ve fallen. The Purdue people used to not get it. Now it’s IU fans who are in the dark.

Well gosh, who would have ever thought a 7'3" guy would be a good choice for a basketball team? Crazy, isn't it? By now, Purdue has probably adjusted their door frames in campus buildings, they've had so many big dudes come through in recent years.
They do get big guys. Is there a reason?

Yeah because posting an 18 paragraph sentiment boasting about beating a rival who hasn't made the tournament in 4 years doesn't scream inferiority complex? Purdue's barometer of success has and will always be IU. And why wouldn't it be? This is what having zero national relevancy or success looks like. Purdue fans have no clue.
No, it’s about IU fans desperately talking trash with a program that dominates us and barely breaks a sweat while running us out of the gym.

Purdue's best five-year run was probably 1931-1936. We won our Helms banner and won at least a share of the Big Ten title four of those five years.

Keady's best run was 1993-1998. Three outright Big Ten titles, an Elite Eight, a Sweet Sixteen, and finished no lower than 3rd in the league.

Painter's best run has been 2016-2021. Two Big Ten titles, two Sweet Sixteens (maybe three this year if the cards fall right), an Elite Eight, and zero losses to our arch-rival.

IU's best five-year run was easily Bob Knight's first five seasons. Four Big Ten titles, a natty, a Final Four, an Elite Eight, and a CCA title. That's a hell of a benchmark, but not even Knight himself could measure up to it the rest of his career, particularly after 1993.

Since 1965, Purdue has had five coaches. All five have Big Ten records over .600.

Since 1965, Indiana has had six (full-time) coaches. All were eventually fired (or will be shortly).

The trouble for IU's next guy is that the Big Ten has really elevated itself. Michigan State, Michigan, Purdue and Ohio State aren't going anywhere; Greg Gard isn't Bo but Wisconsin has a higher floor than IU right now; Illinois and Iowa both feel like they could enter the upper echelon (Illinois might, Iowa won't); and Maryland isn't going to fall off anytime soon. The only programs IU is objectively better than right now are Nebraska, Minnesota, Northwestern, Penn State, and Rutgers. (And Rutgers fans will tell you their days in the cellar are over for good; we'll see.)

Any power conference program is only ever one great hire away from national prominence, so I won't say IU will never be back. But your administration is going to prioritize guys who will come in and "respect the tradition" and "be someone we can all be proud of" as opposed to someone who will come in and tell you to kiss his ass because he's here to win basketball games. Knight and Sampson were the latter, and they were the only two guys to come in and start killing it from day one.

Good luck. You have the better history (though it's closer than you care to admit) but I suspect Purdue has the brighter future, at least for the next 10 years.

Reactions: kkott
Purdue's best five-year run was probably 1931-1936. We won our Helms banner and won at least a share of the Big Ten title four of those five years.

You didn't win shit. The banner was awarded. And it was delivered in a bread truck.

Reactions: IUgradman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT