ADVERTISEMENT

Does this article offend you?

LowCut

Redshirt
Jun 21, 2018
I sometimes will remind gloating fans — because I get a kick out of stealing peoples' joy, apparently — that they should take nothing for granted with Indiana despite Purdue's domination of the series the past many seasons, including those most recently, when the two programs theoretically ought to be on even footing.

Things have historically been pretty cyclical in that series, at least in modern years, and can turn at any time.

That said, all of Purdue's indicators right now are pointing up and all of Indiana's are pointing down. And Purdue's won the last eight games in the series. IU's bottomed out to end the season, costing itself a spot in the NCAA Tournament barring a miracle, and Purdue seems to be surging at the ideal time. The Boilermakers were decidedly better in the first meeting in Bloomington.

Take nothing for granted Saturday, but ...

Odds are, Purdue will win its ninth in a row over IU, and it's not outside the realm of possibility this could be its last meeting with Archie Miller, who'd leave Indiana winless against the Boilermakers should IU want to pony up that $10 mil and go find its sixth coach since Bob Knight (Dakich included).

Right now, Purdue's results against Indiana are easily explained: The past two seasons, the Boilermakers have simply had better players. They run better stuff. They're more skilled, tougher and just better.

All that might be true again next year, too, for all we know. I don't know. Again, things can turn quick.

The disparity in results, to me, reflects a disparity in cultures and a disparity in leadership.

Purdue recruits with a message of selflessness and toughness and work ethic and such things. Do they always get perfect fits? No, but their batting average has spiked in recent years. They try to recruit basketball IQ and competitive spirit.

Kids who go to Indiana, sometimes the rock-star element plays into that, the magnitude of the fan base, the brightness of the lights all that stuff. When a guy like Trey Kaufman-Renn turns that down, it's not because he's shying away from it, but because he doesn't give a damn about it because all he wants to do is improve, win and get good grades. He was always drawn more to substance than style, and that made his recruitment a perfect encapsulation of the difference between these two programs at the moment.

When you recruit a kid to be BOMC, you are appealing to his inner vanity, and as I have said more than once over the years about players who went to Indiana, windmill dunks don't win Big Ten games.

When I cover Purdue, I see competitive dudes; when I watch Indiana from afar, I don't see what I saw when Victor Oladipo and Yogi Ferrell were there: That will.

When I look at the coaches, I see a Purdue program led by one of most liked and respected coaches in the game, a guy who's comfortable in his own skin, who follows the rules, who runs good offense, does right by people and stands for the right things from a basketball perspective. That he's a Purdue guy hardly matters in light of all that other stuff. People like him, most importantly. I see a coach with an able, accomplished and empowered staff around him and players who more often than not maximize their abilities when they genuinely try to.

Do you see all that stuff on the other side of the rivalry?

Look, this can turn on Purdue. Whether it can happen under Miller, I don't know, but one day, Indiana fans may stop worrying about finding their next Bob Knight and happen upon their Matt Painter.

And when that happens, one of college basketball's great rivalries can be just that again.

In the meantime, well, let's see what happens Saturday before saying anything too definitive.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Im gonna need it explained to me why this would “offend” anyone

OP really thinks he has a hot potato with this diatribe
I think he just wanted to share an article he had written and get some feedback. I though it was well written and spot on. It's fair to assume people would be offended because he mentioned how the Crean era kids were competitive. The fan base created a tidal wave against Crean because he clapped too much and was tan. I think the were an OG injury from another great season in Creans final. Was he my favorite person, not really, but he recruited kids I really liked.

I sometimes will remind gloating fans — because I get a kick out of stealing peoples' joy, apparently — that they should take nothing for granted with Indiana despite Purdue's domination of the series the past many seasons, including those most recently, when the two programs theoretically ought to be on even footing.

Things have historically been pretty cyclical in that series, at least in modern years, and can turn at any time.

That said, all of Purdue's indicators right now are pointing up and all of Indiana's are pointing down. And Purdue's won the last eight games in the series. IU's bottomed out to end the season, costing itself a spot in the NCAA Tournament barring a miracle, and Purdue seems to be surging at the ideal time. The Boilermakers were decidedly better in the first meeting in Bloomington.

Odds are, Purdue will win its ninth in a row over IU, and it's not outside the realm of possibility this could be its last meeting with Archie Miller, who'd leave Indiana winless against the Boilermakers should IU want to pony up that $10 mil and go find its sixth coach since Bob Knight (Dakich included).

Right now, Purdue's results against Indiana are easily explained: The past two seasons, the Boilermakers have simply had better players. They run better stuff. They're more skilled, tougher and just better.

All that might be true again next year, too, for all we know. I don't know. Again, things can turn quick.

The disparity in results, to me, reflects a disparity in cultures and a disparity in leadership.

Purdue recruits with a message of selflessness and toughness and work ethic and such things. Do they always get perfect fits? No, but their batting average has spiked in recent years. They try to recruit basketball IQ and competitive spirit.

Kids who go to Indiana, sometimes the rock-star element plays into that, the magnitude of the fan base, the brightness of the lights all that stuff. When a guy like Trey Kaufman-Renn turns that down, it's not because he's shying away from it, but because he doesn't give a damn about it because all he wants to do is improve, win and get good grades. He was always drawn more to substance than style, and that made his recruitment a perfect encapsulation of the difference between these two programs at the moment.

When you recruit a kid to be BOMC, you are appealing to his inner vanity, and as I have said more than once over the years about players who went to Indiana, windmill dunks don't win Big Ten games.

When I cover Purdue, I see competitive dudes; when I watch Indiana from afar, I don't see what I saw when Victor Oladipo and Yogi Ferrell were there: That will.

When I look at the coaches, I see a Purdue program led by one of most liked and respected coaches in the game, a guy who's comfortable in his own skin, who follows the rules, who runs good offense, does right by people and stands for the right things from a basketball perspective. That he's a Purdue guy hardly matters in light of all that other stuff. People like him, most importantly. I see a coach with an able, accomplished and empowered staff around him and players who more often than not maximize their abilities when they genuinely try to.

Look, this can turn on Purdue. Whether it can happen under Miller, I don't know, but one day, Indiana fans may stop worrying about finding their next Bob Knight and happen upon their Matt Painter.

And when that happens, one of college basketball's great rivalries can be just that again.

In the meantime, well, let's see what happens Saturday before saying anything too definitive.
Did you actually write this? Lol

Offended? By whom? At the end of the day Purdue is still Purdue and will always be Purdue. Purdue could beat IU for 50 years running and still be as irrelevant on the national scene as they are today.
Purdue vs. IU freshman class update
IU's entire 4 man class:
1,092 minutes
218 points

Zach Edey:
359 minutes
212 points

But to be fair, Edey is 2 months & 26 days older than 5 star Lander.

IU's entire 4 man class:
1,092 minutes
218 points

Zach Edey:
359 minutes
212 points

Waiting for the sophomore update...

Offended? By whom? At the end of the day Purdue is still Purdue and will always be Purdue. Purdue could beat IU for 50 years running and still be as irrelevant on the national scene as they are today.
Coach you can do better. You sound like the kid who wants to live off the fame of his great grandparents being rich. Unfortunately IU has squandered all of the past through bad decisions and supposing they don't have to do the little things (hard work first) that IU did when they were great.

I thought the article had interesting points.
The toughness issue; I thought tjd should have been benched for lack of effort. I thought Miller showed total absence of leadership there.
The rock start comment; That had not occurred to me before but I can see it being a problem. Perhaps brings in the wrong recruit or the right recruit with an initial misunderstanding.
So the next coach needs a strict discipline and hard work personality.

Coach you can do better. You sound like the kid who wants to live off the fame of his great grandparents being rich. Unfortunately IU has squandered all of the past through bad decisions and supposing they don't have to do the little things (hard work first) that IU did when they were great.

I lived through the pinnacle of Indiana basketball. I’ve accepted it’s unlikely IU will ever reach those highs on a consistent basis again. That’s out of my control. Purdue fans have no clue.

Reactions: Al Bino and 76-1

So we should care about winning regular season games and making the ncaa tournament instead of winning banners to add to the five.

Reactions: kkott
I think he just wanted to share an article he had written and get some feedback. I though it was well written and spot on. It's fair to assume people would be offended because he mentioned how the Crean era kids were competitive. The fan base created a tidal wave against Crean because he clapped too much and was tan. I think the were an OG injury from another great season in Creans final. Was he my favorite person, not really, but he recruited kids I really liked.
Crean recruited offensive players who couldn’t play defense. Basketball you have to play offense and defense. Miller has his team improving on defense but lacks offensive flow too much during games. In close games you can’t go 5-6 mins without scoring and Indiana does that way too often.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
IU's entire 4 man class:
1,092 minutes
218 points

Zach Edey:
359 minutes
212 points

Well gosh, who would have ever thought a 7'3" guy would be a good choice for a basketball team? Crazy, isn't it? By now, Purdue has probably adjusted their door frames in campus buildings, they've had so many big dudes come through in recent years.

Well gosh, who would have ever thought a 7'3" guy would be a good choice for a basketball team? Crazy, isn't it? By now, Purdue has probably adjusted their door frames in campus buildings, they've had so many big dudes come through in recent years.
I don’t Miller would’ve ever reached that conclusion, that’s for sure.

When the truth offends you, that's a you problem. Nothing about the article offends me. What offends me is that Purdue fans feel OK to come here and talk trash... that's offensive, but our team can easily control that. And if they don't, a team like Winthrop will when they beat PU in the NCAA, and send you scurrying back to the hole from whence you came.

Last edited:

What "article"...nothing linked.

If you mean your post...no it doesn't offend me.

IU's inability to rectify the Basketball situation offends me.

Purdue doesn't affect me one way or the other, I have not seen them play since the IU game. They are better than IU right now but all that means is their trolls have amped up the bitter obsession.

Let;s stick to what matters...IU

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman

**** Purdue.

It’s a good primer for this Saturday. Thought some of you needed some perspective.

Perspective of what? That Purdue has owned IU during its worst 4 year stretch of basketball since WW1. Congratu****inglations. You're still Purdue.

Reactions: IUgradman
It always amazes me the number of Purdue fans who think, man Purdue is better than IU, IU fans must be jealous and want to be like Purdue. Painter has done a heck of a job. Purdue is solid almost every year. Crean got fired with success that is comparative to Painter. Archie somehow hasn't even met that threshold. Anyway, Purdue isnt the bar for this program.

Reactions: TrojanFan004
I think he copy and pasted an article from GBI that’s behind a paywall.

I believe that’s against the rules of this forum.
citizens-arrest.jpg

It always amazes me the number of Purdue fans who think, man Purdue is better than IU, IU fans must be jealous and want to be like Purdue. Painter has done a heck of a job. Purdue is solid almost every year. Crean got fired with success that is comparative to Painter. Archie somehow hasn't even met that threshold. Anyway, Purdue isnt the bar for this program.

It shouldn't amaze you. Unless you were born before prohibition, this is the best a Purdue fan could ever ask for. They don't know any better. Purdue is arguably in its best 5-6 year stretch of run in its basketball history and they still haven't moved an inch in terms on national relevancy. And for the life of them they can't take it. Purdue fans have no clue.

Yes Purdue is Purdue and I love it. They are more relevant on the national scene than IU for a while now. So you can claim it doesn’t matter to you that Purdue is dominating you but that is just a defense mechanism. Because you know that while Purdue is routinely beating IU and is more nationally relevant, you also realize that IU isn’t winning a title of any kind for a long time to come. And that last banner is 34 years old and recruits could give a rats ass about it.

They are far more concerned about IU struggling than they are their own team.

They will hang three banners this year in the hog barn

IU FB didn't play anybody
IU lost their bowl game
IU Hoops struggled

Yes Purdue is Purdue and I love it. They are more relevant on the national scene than IU for a while now. So you can claim it doesn’t matter to you that Purdue is dominating you but that is just a defense mechanism. Because you know that while Purdue is routinely beating IU and is more nationally relevant, you also realize that IU isn’t winning a title of any kind for a long time to come. And that last banner is 34 years old and recruits could give a rats ass about it.
That’s an interesting take on recruits. If the history of the program doesn’t appeal to recruits, how is it that the last time Purdue had a higher ranked class than IU was in 2010? I mean Purdue has had more success than IU the passed decade, so you would think they would be dominating recruiting...

*Purdue will have the higher ranked 2021 class*

And that is exactly why Purdue will always be Purdue. Boasting about being more nationally relevant than a team who hasn't made the tournament in 4 years? That deserves a massive pat on the back, it's well-earned. Purdue still is but a blip on the radar when it comes to nationally relevancy.

Reactions: IUgradman and kkott
That’s an interesting take on recruits. If the history of the program doesn’t appeal to recruits, how is it that the last time Purdue had a higher ranked class than IU was in 2010? I mean Purdue has had more success than IU the passed decade, so you would think they would be dominating recruiting...

*Purdue will have the higher ranked 2021 class*
I’m not talking about class rank of IU vs Purdue because that doesn’t matter to me. Results on court do and Painter can actually put together a “team”
What I was referring to regarding recruiting is IU on a national scale since he was talking about national relevance. They are not up there at all.

I’m not talking about class rank of IU vs Purdue because that doesn’t matter to me. Results on court do and Painter can actually put together a “team”
What I was referring to regarding recruiting is IU on a national scale since he was talking about national relevance. They are not up there at all.
IU still pulls in great recruiting classes regardless of who the coach is. To say IU isn’t nationally relevant in recruiting is just laughable. IU recruits itself.

Now if we could just get a coach who understood today’s game...

We used to always make fun of the Purdue fan’s and their inferiority complexes. Times sure have changed . . .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT