ADVERTISEMENT

Does the Draft Streak end this year?

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
We've had people drafted 6 straight drafts. The Covid didn't help our players showcase themselves and as a result, worried the streak may come to an end.

Let me be clear, think 4-5 of them will FOR SURE get camp offers if not drafted and who knows what can happen then. But of the 4 I could see having a shot of being drafted in the 7 rounds: R. Jones, Stepniak, Westbrook or Hale, not sure one gets called, but would be awesome if so!

One day we'll have multiple folks getting drafted, including some first round picks, but kind of mind-blowing when you think of how many players from OSU, Alabama, Clemson, LSU get drafted each year.

I think Step will get drafted like 5th or 6th round. Side note, I looked last night and ESPN had him at like 25th ranked tackle. High quality sports coverage there. It would probably be to his benefit to be a UFA so he can be somewhat choosy about where he ends up.

I think Westbrook & Jones might be able to catch on a practice squad and make a go of it.

Hale is a wildcard for me. His situation makes me miss NFL Europe or wish the NFL had a developmental league of some kind. I think he'd be a REALLY interesting project at TE. Good size, good blocker, good hands, not blazing speed. I hope someone gives him a chance.

I've always thought Hale was a beast, and was underutilized. He made some great catches where the QB pretty much just threw it up and let him go get it. He had a DB all over him and with his size and strength, he was still able to make the catch. And seemed like he would catch everything, at least prior to 2019. I know he battled injuries this past season, but I also recall him making wide open drops. Not sure what happened with him, other than that. Was expecting a big season from him.

We've had people drafted 6 straight drafts. The Covid didn't help our players showcase themselves and as a result, worried the streak may come to an end.

Let me be clear, think 4-5 of them will FOR SURE get camp offers if not drafted and who knows what can happen then. But of the 4 I could see having a shot of being drafted in the 7 rounds: R. Jones, Stepniak, Westbrook or Hale, not sure one gets called, but would be awesome if so!

One day we'll have multiple folks getting drafted, including some first round picks, but kind of mind-blowing when you think of how many players from OSU, Alabama, Clemson, LSU get drafted each year.
I think Step gets in late.

I think Step gets in late.

I hope you're right. (I did NOT see Wes Martin going 3rd round last year!) so seemingly a 6th or 7th round for him is conceivable. But while I like IU players being drafted, not so sure for these guys being UFA isn't best for them to potentially choose best fit for them. (Steelers would be a good place for Step, they are an aging OL) Colts could be a good place for Westbrook as they will draft another WR but have been thin there due to injuries, might be able to make team, play special teams too, etc. And agree, Hale could be an interesting TE prospect for someone as he's not a blazing speed guy, but athletic and can catch the ball. Maybe a conversion project (isn't that what happened to Cody Latimer?)

I hope you're right. (I did NOT see Wes Martin going 3rd round last year!) so seemingly a 6th or 7th round for him is conceivable. But while I like IU players being drafted, not so sure for these guys being UFA isn't best for them to potentially choose best fit for them. (Steelers would be a good place for Step, they are an aging OL) Colts could be a good place for Westbrook as they will draft another WR but have been thin there due to injuries, might be able to make team, play special teams too, etc. And agree, Hale could be an interesting TE prospect for someone as he's not a blazing speed guy, but athletic and can catch the ball. Maybe a conversion project (isn't that what happened to Cody Latimer?)
Teams saw what Martin did last season, and Step is pretty much a carbon copy of him. I won't be shocked if the Redskins don't pick him in the 7th round. They are very interested.

Westbrook to the Colts would be a solid choice as a UFA. The Colts certainly need bodies at that spot.

While I think Hale will get a look he's all athlete more than he is a football player. His best bet is find whatever position works for him (WR or TE) and then play in the XFL and blow up that way. I don't think he's ready for the pros, even as a practice squad guy.

Teams saw what Martin did last season, and Step is pretty much a carbon copy of him. I won't be shocked if the Redskins don't pick him in the 7th round. They are very interested.

Westbrook to the Colts would be a solid choice as a UFA. The Colts certainly need bodies at that spot.

While I think Hale will get a look he's all athlete more than he is a football player. His best bet is find whatever position works for him (WR or TE) and then play in the XFL and blow up that way. I don't think he's ready for the pros, even as a practice squad guy.
I think the XFL is now defunct.

Happy to follow up that it makes 7 straight! Congrats to Simon S getting picked by the Packers! (maybe they liked their last recent IU OL draft choice Spriggs, who sadly it seems was hurt by injuries in his career.) Great job IU!

I wonder if Logan Justice has any chance to try out for a team. I know he struggled late in the season, but I can't forget how he kicked in earlier games and previous years.

I think Stepniak got drafted, but even if he hadn't, we had such a young team this year that it almost figures we wouldn't have anyone drafted, we had very few seniors. The same will go for next year, & I'm good with that because having such a young team means the future is very bright.

Last edited:
I feel that barring a major injury or NFL going under-(probably snowballs chance, but with this Virus thing who knows what will happen), Whop will get drafted next year. I think he has proven himself. Jovan Swann and Jerome Johnson will probably be strong candidates for consideration as well. Peyton Hendershot would be eligible next year, iirc, but he probably has a big hill to climb at his point. He has the size and potential if he can get his act together. He would have an extra year if he needed it but I could see him moving on. Ty Fryfogle and Harry Crider could be another couple of guys if the season can be played this fall, but I think they would have to show their stuff this year to get a chance. Stevie Scott could go early if he has another good season. Most of these guys will get some shot regardless of being drafted. I just hope that things can get back to somewhat normal for everyone's sake. Still got a lot of young guys with talent coming around.

ADVERTISEMENT