ADVERTISEMENT

Does (possibly) losing Deboer neutralize our 8 win season?

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
The possibility of losing Deboer is hard right now.

Improving the offensive side of the recruiting class just got difficult. 17 yr old kids might see too much uncertainty. We might even get poached...

Will Deboer poach our staff if he does leave? They were damn good this year. I doubt it if only for $$ but if Hart/Heard get an OC offer from him but not IU?

Will Deboer poach us for grad transfers? Highly unlikely, but a concern.

Will Cronk return for yet another new OC?

Bowl selection is going to be difficult as well. We don't have a good traveling fanbase anyway, then take away Deboer....

Lots of questions... Thoughts anyone?

Reactions: vesuvius13

Improving the offensive side of the recruiting class just got difficult. 17 yr old kids might see too much uncertainty. We might even get poached...

Will Deboer poach our staff if he does leave? They were damn good this year. I doubt it if only for $$ but if Hart/Heard get an OC offer from him but not IU?

Bowl selection is going to be difficult as well. We don't have a good traveling fanbase anyway, then take away Deboer....

My answer:
Do what it takes to keep him here.

Agreed.

1.2 to 1.8 mil should do it.

Do you think IU ponies up?

Fred would be foolish not to (in my opinion)...

He's known as a consensus builder (the AD), perhaps he can bring a few big time donors together to help out as needed...?

This OC is clearly a "difference maker... We Need to go all out to keep him!

Unless he just wants to be a Head Coach at all costs, I think Fred can convince him to stay... He'll have much better opportunities than Fresno after helping make history here...

Reactions: IUCX9
Fred would be foolish not to (in my opinion)...

He's known as a consensus builder (the AD), perhaps he can bring a few big time donors together to help out as needed...?

This OC is clearly a "difference maker... We Need to go all out to keep him!

Unless he just wants to be a Head Coach at all costs, I think Fred can convince him to stay... He'll have much better opportunities than Fresno after helping make history here...
He's more than a difference maker. He was solely responsible for getting 8 wins. He's the only reason we beat MD, Nebraska, and Purdue... Because Wommack and his defense was total garbage in those games, among others.

I say give him 1.8 mil and associate HC.

Reactions: fieldjock
Anyone wonder how Coach Allen's ego handles this? I"m sure he appreciates the "if an opportunity presents itself" better than anyone given where he is now. But he might think he creates the culture and had something to do with the 8 wins this year too (starting 3 years ago!) Hopefully it's a good relationship and he's fighting to pay him (& any assistants he wants to keep) here at IU!

Reactions: JWilk1234

There's no word that he's leaving, yet you're already concerned about poaching? And impacts on bowl selection? (Wtf?) Come on, man, take a deep breath.

Sorry, guy, but this gets my vote for dumb thread of the week.

There's no word that he's leaving, and you're already concerned about poaching? And impacts on bowl selection? (Wtf?) Come on, man, take a deep breath.

Hey. I've been gone on extended Thanksgiving. Give me a break and let me freak out a bit.

There's no word that he's leaving, yet you're already concerned about poaching? And impacts on bowl selection? (Wtf?) Come on, man, take a deep breath.

And I was the one who saw 8, possibly 9 wins this year and you said I was getting ahead of myself.

So... Yeah. Give me a break.

And I was the one who saw 8, possibly 9 wins this year and you said I was getting ahead of myself.

So... Yeah. Give me a break.
Assuming that's true, what does it have to do with this thread?

You asked for thoughts. My thought is that this is a ridiculous thread, starting with the title.

Reactions: 82hoosier
Throw the kitchen sink at Kalen Deboer, that's what Fred needs to do. As mentioned above, Deboer is a BIG, BIG reason IU won 8 games.

If Deboer does leave, Allen is going to be pressured to making a comparable hire at OC. Honestly, I was hoping to get another year or two out of Deboer!! Next year could be special!!

To answer the staff poaching question:

I think that's highly unlikely. Going to Fresno State from a Big Ten school is a big step down, not a step up... Secondly, if he does go there he has a built in staff already there (most of whom he'd previously worked with...)...

I'd like to see that scenario reversed and we find a way to bring Grubb here (the Fresno OC)... Even if only as a "Consultant" for a year...

If we do lose any coaches on the Offensive or Special Teams side of the ball he'd sure be my first choice as a replacement...

Reactions: 82hoosier and IUCX9
He's more than a difference maker. He was solely responsible for getting 8 wins. He's the only reason we beat MD, Nebraska, and Purdue... Because Wommack and his defense was total garbage in those games, among others.

He already is Associate HC

There are some veterans available now with coaching changes happening:

Rich Rod
Kendal Briles
Derek Dooley

There will always be a lot of guys moving around and others available. We have guys we certainly talked to during the hire of DeBoer. I think it would suck to lose DeBoer but remember that some of our success is through the players. Good TE, good TBs and good WRs. Some of this is improved talent.

Anyone wonder how Coach Allen's ego handles this? I"m sure he appreciates the "if an opportunity presents itself" better than anyone given where he is now. But he might think he creates the culture and had something to do with the 8 wins this year too (starting 3 years ago!) Hopefully it's a good relationship and he's fighting to pay him (& any assistants he wants to keep) here at IU!

Coach Allen better damned well understand how his bread got buttered. He should fight for every dime for him.

While a known commodity at Cal, surprised Tedford was making $1.5 million at a place like Fresno. Guessing that's a huge chunk of $$ and a good percentage of their AD budget. If he's set on being a HC, that would be tough to turn down.

But, if IU could get him to $1.25-$1.35,he'd probably have as much or more exposure here to keep auditioning for better gigs than Fresno in the next couple years (and the added bonus of NOT living in Fresno, especially if he has a family to move too).

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Doesn't matter. Unless IU recruits better in the next couple of seasons the 8-win phenomenon is very short-lived.

Where is this coming from??

Allen signed the best class on paper and the others were not shabby either. PLUS, going to a bowl should help in the short term.

Cynical much?

Deboer is going to be a tough guy for Indiana to keep unless they can up his pay to around $1.2 million. That outbids the MAC schools. He's an elite coordinator and certainly responsible for this year's success. Allen's recruiting, and Deboers offense is the magic formula.

i like deboar, but i think the players had a little more to do with it than him.

Some of you need to realize that this is going to happen when you have success and that assistants are constantly moving around. You make another good hire and move on. Good programs don’t just collapse because a coordinator leaves. And he hasn’t even left yet!

Sure hope he stays. Among other things, he rediscovered the importance of throwing to the tight end. Other teams have used their tight ends against us causing mini-strokes for me. Iowa and the Broilies come to mind.

To answer your question ABSOLUTELY NOT. Each season is a one off to a degree given that coaches and now players with the transfer portal and graduation move on each year. It happens especially with successful programs.

With that said I not totally convinced that CKD will jump at the Frseno St HC job if offered.

Though it will be tempting given the promotion to top guy. bump in salary, and that he is familiar with terrain and still knows the staff and players in the system well. He is less than one year removed from that program.

In my mind we have a narrow path to keep him around for a season or two more. It depends on the idea he has notion that he can afford to pass on the Fresno opportunity now and hopefully land a job in one of the power five conferences down the road. If he has ambitions to get to a Power5 school then Fresno will only serve as a stepping stone job. Keep in mind CKD already has college HC experience all be it at a lower division.

Here is what the IU administration has to do...
Give the man a handsome raise. He's earned it since he was a big factor in our offensive success. Over a million dollars. at least. And anything else he wants within reason. Not much we can do with titles since he is already an associate HC. Maybe we can be creative.

I know that some of this is wishfully thinking but I would like to see where this offense gets to over the next couple of seasons with his leadership. But if his heart is set on getting to a D1 HC gig now he is gone.

I’m not worried. Allen just got a raise up to 4 million per year, to go out and find good coordinators and win games. We just went 8-4. I have faith in him to get that done.

He's already associate HC.

That’s absurd.
It is...

But IU gets what IU pays for.

Exhibit A: Mike Debord

Look at Ramsey with Deboer vs with DeBord. Night and Day.

Exhibit B: Kane Wommack

I hope he gets poached. He has been absolute garbage this year vs the B1G not named Rutgers.

Pay the man and grow the program. B1G money is rolling in, why not spend it where results show? It's only one or two more years.

Reactions: Hoosier009

In a word: No.

Folks, get used to it. This is an expected scenario. We want assistant coaches who are good enough to be in demand for better gigs. As we get better, coaches will come and go. Hopefully we keep attracting coaches of his caliber which will benefit us while they're here. Then when they leave? Rinse and repeat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT