ADVERTISEMENT

Does Coach Knight make one last appearance?

larlane

Freshman
Aug 29, 2001
Bittersweet last year when Knight returned to the Hall surrounded by his former players-most notably the new coach. Then, to be outplayed in every facet by our biggest rival for their NINTH victory in a row. By all accounts, it took a lot of persuasion by Woodson and a few others to make that happen.

So, with the hiring of an IU guy-arguably THE IU guy- does he make another appearance? Maybe he attends, but is kept from the fans and cameras?

I won't speculate on Knight's mental and physical condition, but certainly that might make this prohibitive.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Knight's mental and physical condition, but certainly that might make this prohibitive.
I think that's the ultimate thing that determines whether or not it happens again.

We know Coach Woodson has visited and I suspect he continues to visit Coach Knight at his home.

I have resisted posting what I've heard about RMKs health (it's all second hand anyway) but without going into details I would guess we will not see any more public events with him.
So you have some scruples but figure you’ll just throw it out there anyway. Classy move.

It is devastating to see RMk and other Giants of the game (Jerry Sloan) who have fallen victim to dementia which is rapidly becoming one of the worst geriatric health crisises of our time. Pray for him and the family.
Yep, dementia and Alzheimers are awful to have to watch a loved one endure. My grandfather withered away with it and it was hell on my Aunt who was his primary caregiver and many other of her siblings just couldn't bring themselves to go and see him. I also just watched a neighbor have to deal with it also. It shouldn't be such a big deal for someone to decide they don't want to live that way and end their life in a dignified manner they control.

Any appearance by RMK should be influenced by its direct benefit to him, his health and well-being, and nothing else. He is not an object of entertainment, so its impact on others is meaningless, IMO. If it contributes to his overall physical and mental well-being, and the family drives that choice....so be it.

Any appearance by RMK should be influenced by its direct benefit to him, his health and well-being, and nothing else. He is not an object of entertainment, so its impact on others is meaningless, IMO. If it contributes to his overall physical and mental well-being, and the family drives that choice....so be it.
no rmk owes it to all of us to show up wherever and whenever we summons him. this reply was for entertainment purposes only.

I don't see the need, unless as you said, he wants to for some reason. His return last year signified a mending of fences and from what others have said, and guessing at his decline based on my experiences, there is nothing to be gained and it could be very difficult and upsetting. I don't know if the family has made any comment on CMW's hiring, but a letter/statement supporting him would be nice but the progression of Alzheimer's is not a pretty or easy thing and they have bigger concerns than making an appearance at AH. From their standpoint and that of the players, his return went as well as you really could have hoped, results of the game notwithstanding.

It is devastating to see RMk and other Giants of the game (Jerry Sloan) who have fallen victim to dementia which is rapidly becoming one of the worst geriatric health crisises of our time. Pray for him and the family.
I am glad Coach Knight came back last year. I am also glad he lives in the Bloomington area because it really is his home. He left for a while but is home now where a lot of people care about him. John Laskowski owns with a group a number of Culvers Restaurants. He runs the one in Bloomington. He said that he runs food out to Coach Knight and Karen. Culvers doesn't deliver but they will for Coach. I thought it was funny too that Coach Knight loves root beer floats. Culvers doesn't serve them, but they do for Coach Knight. lol

I am glad Coach Knight came back last year. I am also glad he lives in the Bloomington area because it really is his home. He left for a while but is home now where a lot of people care about him. John Laskowski owns with a group a number of Culvers Restaurants. He runs the one in Bloomington. He said that he runs food out to Coach Knight and Karen. Culvers doesn't deliver but they will for Coach. I thought it was funny too that Coach Knight loves root beer floats. Culvers doesn't serve them, but they do for Coach Knight. lol
They should start. The root beer is great.

They should start. The root beer is great.
VPM is wrong...they do.

web-root-beer-float.jpg

That recent photo when Keady was visiting his home was chilling.

I agree. Or by the okay of his wife and his family physician aswell as an agreement.

Love these stories! Thanks. Also, 2001 Bob Knight was at the Victory Theatre in May 2001 with Steve Chancellor talking and raising $$$ for some charity. Tom Geyer was selling merchandise for him. Tommy G always worked well with Coach Knight away from the bball court. I saw Coach Knight, Geyer and yes Steve Chancellor afterwards at Deerhead tavern with an Evansville Police officer around, and anyways, Coach Knight was drinking Diet Coke with milk. Just a story to share.

Edit: Here in Evansville. After the event.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT