ADVERTISEMENT

Does anybody have a clue about what is wrong with the BIG's efforts in these post season tourneys???

ODommer

Recruit
Jan 14, 2003
We send 9 teams into the tourney this year and have lost all six attempts to reach the sweet 16... With the final 8 games playing today we have three more attempts to carry the BIG's flag, by winning all three... That would end up close to 1/4 of the final field heading into next Thursday's action...

The fact of the matter is I would not be surprised if all three would go down like the first six!!! I think we play way too many games against each other, too cozy and not any teams like Syracuse, with their hated zone, or like Loyola of Chi and their half court man to man, leading the nation in points allowed at 55 per contest...

Not that we need to play less BIG games against each other but it wouldn't hurt to have four more non conference games during the BIG season like a combo of big 8 and SEC games to afford us a more divers schedule for a change...

For the BIG to have zero National titles since 2000 with Michigan State, is a real embarrassment, to say the least... Somethings needs to change... Any other Ideas???

We send 9 teams into the tourney this year and have lost all six attempts to reach the sweet 16... With the final 8 games playing today we have three more attempts to carry the BIG's flag, by winning all three... That would end up close to 1/4 of the final field heading into next Thursday's action...

The fact of the matter is I would not be surprised if all three would go down like the first six!!! I think we play way too many games against each other, too cozy and not any teams like Syracuse, with their hated zone, or like Loyola of Chi and their half court man to man, leading the nation in points allowed at 55 per contest...

Not that we need to play less BIG games against each other but it wouldn't hurt to have four more non conference games during the BIG season like a combo of big 8 and SEC games to afford us a more divers schedule for a change...

For the BIG to have zero National titles since 2000 with Michigan State, is a real embarrassment, to say the least... Somethings needs to change... Any other Ideas???
It’s called karma.

Over rated, it happens every year in the tourney. ACC teams, fake SEC teams and so on. It was the year of the BIG this year.

The B1G in recent years has been a deep conference with a lot of good teams but rarely a great team with multiple 5* players, unlike the top-heavy ACC, Big12, and (to a lesser extent) SEC. The best B1G teams usually beat the OAD rosters without veteran leadership and/or exceptional coaching (2015 UK) but hit their ceiling against well-coached OAD teams (2015 Duke) or with veteran leadership (2009 UNC).

Reactions: T.M.P.
Man, I’ve been surprised by the depth of athleticism and length on some of these teams. Indiana has Race and TJD. That duo can compete with most big duos. And Franklin, when healthy, is very good. But the wing and guard depth of many of these teams is unbelievable.
Baylor’s quickness and length is off of the charts.

Reactions: Krafty97grad

Most B1G teams were just generally overrated which then had a compounding effect, and weirdly this was exacerbated by Duke being overrated. This gave Illinois a "big" win, and MSU was way overrated, which was initially masked when they beat a way overrated Duke. Then Minny and NW picked up wins against MSU and got ranked. Which in turn gave a several teams wins against a "ranked" opponent, which typically stays baked into the ranking/perception of a team - there's never really a recalibration if the ranked team you beat turns out to be bad.

Style of play & Officiating

I know someone that played basketball in the B10 and football in the NFL.

A few years ago he commented on how he couldn’t even watch b10 basketball, he called it wrestling.

The tournament is just a different beast.

Non conference games made the big ten look so good early on and it just continued. Michigan State blowing out Duke at Duke as an example.

Reactions: kmathum

Now Iowa getting whipped in the 2nd half, looks like they'll be out, not a big come from behind type of team, but there is 15mins left.

I think the deterioration is connected in Indiana to the end of one class basketball in 1995 and overall to the population of the Midwest moving to warmer climates as folks take their kids and grandchildren with them. That helps give the warmer places more players to pick from. And it just seems that other places have more talent than the Midwest. Iowa is now losing by 20. The Big Ten has had a humiliating few days in Indy.

I think the deterioration is connected in Indiana to the end of one class basketball in 1995 and overall to the population of the Midwest moving to warmer climates as folks take their kids and grandchildren with them. That helps give the warmer places more players to pick from. And it just seems that other places have more talent than the Midwest. Iowa is now losing by 20. The Big Ten has had a humiliating few days in Indy.
Yea that's the ticket it's Climate Change, Climate Change is the reason the BTN sucks............

Reactions: kmathum and GGary
Refs (and the league) let too much rough play go. Izzo and Bo Ryan have had too much of an impact on style of play in the league as well.

Then we get to the tournament and you can't play that way.

Style of play & Officiating

I know someone that played basketball in the B10 and football in the NFL.

A few years ago he commented on how he couldn’t even watch b10 basketball, he called it wrestling.

The tournament is just a different beast.
B1G is still an inside/out post back to the basket league. The rest of the world in a majority are outside/in roll instead of post. The conference this year was also weak in guard play. And as everyone knows guard play wins tournament games.

Last edited:
Man, I’ve been surprised by the depth of athleticism and length on some of these teams. Indiana has Race and TJD. That duo can compete with most big duos. And Franklin, when healthy, is very good. But the wing and guard depth of many of these teams is unbelievable.
Baylor’s quickness and length is off of the charts.

It really exposes the fact that Indiana's roster is so lacking. Why are IU expectations so high? They're not that good!

Refs (and the league) let too much rough play go. Izzo and Bo Ryan have had too much of an impact on style of play in the league as well.

Then we get to the tournament and you can't play that way.

I don't know that it's rough play. My take is that the refs are officiating and letting them play like the NBA.
I started a thread the other day, showing a video clip of Curbelo, coming down the floor and performing a perfect "Carry the Ball" at the top of the circle with no call at all.

There is constant travel, and the 4 step Euro Step, Palming the ball.... you name it and the refs don't call it.
Oh..... and rolling all over the floor with the ball is nothing anymore. Then an opposing player Jumps on top of a player to cause a tie-up. Used too be..... the guy jumping on top of the player with the ball was a foul. Not any more.

Then..... the big guys underneath mug and kill each other with no call.... but you let a guard drive down the lane with just a motion of a touch and it's a foul.

It's time to pull out the old book of rules of basketball.....and get back to the old days.

Reactions: 76-1
Having the Big 10 Tournament end less than a week before the NCAA Tournament is not helping. Big 10 teams play 3-4 games in a 3-4 day period and then go on to 2 games in a 3 day time period about 5 days later. Not enough time to recover physically and emotionally.

Reactions: Indymoon
A euro step is two steps. It's obvious you never learned how to do one.

No... that's my point.... it is supposed to be two steps.... but they've evolved into four steps.

Honestly..... to me..... any Euro step is traveling..... period.

just my humble opinion.... that is all. 😆

Reactions: 76-1
I don't know that it's rough play. My take is that the refs are officiating and letting them play like the NBA.
I started a thread the other day, showing a video clip of Curbelo, coming down the floor and performing a perfect "Carry the Ball" at the top of the circle with no call at all.

There is constant travel, and the 4 step Euro Step, Palming the ball.... you name it and the refs don't call it.
Oh..... and rolling all over the floor with the ball is nothing anymore. Then an opposing player Jumps on top of a player to cause a tie-up. Used too be..... the guy jumping on top of the player with the ball was a foul. Not any more.

Then..... the big guys underneath mug and kill each other with no call.... but you let a guard drive down the lane with just a motion of a touch and it's a foul.

It's time to pull out the old book of rules of basketball.....and get back to the old days.
And didn’t you just love that peach basket!

Having the Big 10 Tournament end less than a week before the NCAA Tournament is not helping. Big 10 teams play 3-4 games in a 3-4 day period and then go on to 2 games in a 3 day time period about 5 days later. Not enough time to recover physically and emotionally.
Yep, regardless of feelings on RMK, this was a huge issue to him, hated the conf tourney, not a great way to gert ready fr the NCAAs after long tough schedul. This added to the grueling schedule wore them out, or at least have a factor. Similar to the old days when UCLA won all those consecutive championships. Every great recruit west of the Miss. went to UCLA & they entered the tournament fresh & loaded while the Big10, ACC & Big East limped in after their grueling schedule beating up on each other.

It really exposes the fact that Indiana's roster is so lacking. Why are IU expectations so high? They're not that good!
You are exactly right. When I say something similar to IU faithful ( I am a 69 grad who taught and coached basketball in Ohio and someone who has lived in Florida for 20 years) I am bombasted for being unfaithful to the legacy of Indiana. Folks those days are long gone. The Knight legions have got to suck it up and admit that basketball is very different today. Things have changed a lot and Bobby's ways no longer wor

You are exactly right. When I say something similar to IU faithful ( I am a 69 grad who taught and coached basketball in Ohio and someone who has lived in Florida for 20 years) I am bombasted for being unfaithful to the legacy of Indiana. Folks those days are long gone. The Knight legions have got to suck it up and admit that basketball is very different today. Things have changed a lot and Bobby's ways no longer work.

And didn’t you just love that peach basket!

Hey..... if we're allowing the euro step and all these other things..... let's just go ahead and mix it up good..... raise the goal two more feet. That would make it really interesting..... and do away with the Macho Man dunks.

It might make the shooting interesting also.

Just a thought.

ADVERTISEMENT