ADVERTISEMENT

Do Not Forsake me Oh My Darlin’

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
In the last several days, the military and the FBI have shown themselves to be bureaucratic political scum, a member of congress accepts tickets and a dress worth more than many make in a year so she can show her ass to all of us, we have a Secretary of State who can’t see 5 minutes into the future, and we have a senile old fart POTUS who brags about his patience wearing thin with millions of citizens and some of us wonder why we are fed up with government and populism thrives?

Great movie. Great song. Great ending.

Produced a rambling stream of consciousness in me.

Gotta admit my first 2 thoughts were (1) The Hunt for Red October and then ( 2) still can’t believe Gorbachev wasn’t gulaged. Pre-coffee.

Then leaped and started thinking about all the folks who decided they knew better and rejected the chain of command, or sold secrets to maintain what they viewed as the balance of power. Or just sold out for the money. Benedict Arnold. All the Cold War spies - up to and including the Rosenbergs. Edward Snowden. Pawns.

The one thing they all had in common? They thought they were the smartest bear. They thought they knew and understood best. They acted because they KNEW the others were too stupid to understand and the chain of command was an impediment. Wondered why Snowden couldn’t find a Woodward or Bernstein.

Then leapt to “good spies” - George Washington needed them. All military need them.

Difficult lines to draw.

But I gotta admit - if I thought the nation was really gonna embrace the lunacy I see in some of the “movements” - I wouldn’t fight for them either. But then, I grew up watching Woodstock Nation spit on Vietnam vets.

I need more coffee.

Gotta admit my first 2 thoughts were (1) The Hunt for Red October and then ( 2) still can’t believe Gorbachev wasn’t gulaged. Pre-coffee.

Then leaped and started thinking about all the folks who decided they knew better and rejected the chain of command, or sold secrets to maintain what they viewed as the balance of power. Or just sold out for the money. Benedict Arnold. All the Cold War spies - up to and including the Rosenbergs. Edward Snowden. Pawns.

The one thing they all had in common? They thought they were the smartest bear. They thought they knew and understood best. They acted because they KNEW the others were too stupid to understand and the chain of command was an impediment. Wondered why Snowden couldn’t find a Woodward or Bernstein.

Then leapt to “good spies” - George Washington needed them. All military need them.

Difficult lines to draw.

But I gotta admit - if I thought the nation was really gonna embrace the lunacy I see in some of the “movements” - I wouldn’t fight for them either. But then, I grew up watching Woodstock Nation spit on Vietnam vets.

I need more coffee.
The pillars of governance are weakening. Most all of us see that, but like a Florida Condo, nobody wants to make the sacrifices to fix it.

Difficult lines to draw.

I need more coffee.

Loved the movie as well, except for Grace Kelly. She was nice to look at but a terrible actress, at least in that role. Hitchcock used her to better effect.

Before one of our woke friends reminds us, Carl Forman, the producer, was called before the HUAC during the Red Scare.......so the production of the movie was somewhat controversial at the time.

McCarthy was a piker compare to the present day Dems/PC/woke/Tech/cancel culture types.

The pillars of governance are weakening. Most all of us see that, but like a Florida Condo, nobody wants to make the sacrifices to fix it.

I don't know that it's about sacrifices. The federal govt is just too large and all-encompassing to coexist with a decentralized, limited government. People like Comey, Clapper, Brennan and the rest are the result of the loss of accountability.

Loved the movie as well, except for Grace Kelly. She was nice to look at but a terrible actress, at least in that role. Hitchcock used her to better effect.

Before one of our woke friends reminds us, Carl Forman, the producer, was called before the HUAC during the Red Scare.......so the production of the movie was somewhat controversial at the time.

McCarthy was a piker compare to the present day Dems/PC/woke/Tech/cancel culture types.
Your slur of Grace Kelly has angered the gods

tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: IUINSB and 76-1

McCarthy was Trump before Trump. Had McCarthy had FoxNews and OAN in his day, he might have been elected President himself. Scary thought.

McCarthy was Trump before Trump. Had McCarthy had FoxNews and OAN in his day, he might have been elected President himself. Scary thought.
Don't you find it hilarious how these current Pubs like to invoke their guy (McCarthy) as someone they accuse those on the left of emulating? I guess trying to rebrand Nazism and Fascism which are both inherently anti-left as somehow leftist principles, is the somewhat predictable refuge of people who revel in concepts like alternative facts... A prime example this stupid Mary chick with her permanent smirk

Don't you find it hilarious how these current Pubs like to invoke their guy (McCarthy) as someone they accuse those on the left of emulating? I guess trying to rebrand Nazism and Fascism which are both inherently anti-left as somehow leftist principles, is the somewhat predictable refuge of people who revel in concepts like alternative facts... A prime example this stupid Mary chick with her permanent smirk

Again and stating the obvious, the power of social media has taken the small town or small clique gossip and has blown it up into a multi exponential proportion.

We all like to surround ourselves with like minded people, hell it's why I've been browsing IUBB message boards since the 90's for the conversation and insider gossip, but there is a real danger in that your pov is going to get greatly distorted.

Unfortunately in today's internet there are anecdotal evidence that can be for anything you want to believe in, therefore we look for affirmation vs information.

It's a fascinating yet terrifying development.

The internet was supposed to be the next level communication device like the phone was in the 1800's but instead it tends to make us more alone, isolated and more vulnerable to be manipulated (like the girl in the video with 3000 friends and almost none of them she knows personally).

This isn’t about what is left or what is right Ideology. It’s about authorities shutting down free expression and free exchange of ideas under threats of adverse action. Try going to today’s corporate anti-race training and suggest that Ibram X. Kendi is full of it. What happens next would make even Joe McCarthy blush.

Again and stating the obvious, the power of social media has taken the small town or small clique gossip and has blown it up into a multi exponential proportion.

We all like to surround ourselves with like minded people, hell it's why I've been browsing IUBB message boards since the 90's for the conversation and insider gossip, but there is a real danger in that your pov is going to get greatly distorted.

Unfortunately in today's internet there are anecdotal evidence that can be for anything you want to believe in, therefore we look for affirmation vs information.

It's a fascinating yet terrifying development.

The internet was supposed to be the next level communication device like the phone was in the 1800's but instead it tends to make us more alone, isolated and more vulnerable to be manipulated (like the girl in the video with 3000 friends and almost none of them she knows personally).
Affirmation. vs Information is not about the internet or social media. Now that we have normalized taking offense at an idea we have no hope a free and open debate or exchange of information. The internet or social media also has nothing to do with discussions where some think in terms of goalposts or self-awareness. Critical thinking and open discussion are lost in fields of irrelevant lazy thinking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT