ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Johnson

I can't. However, I really thought the LB ( I think 4 star) in the year of the movement that went to Iowa from Indy would have been a starter. I think he ended up transferring but never cracked the starting lineup. I havent felt Iowa is a major competitor when it comes to people we also want in Indiana. ND, Mich, Mich St, Ohio State have had the pick of players over IU and Purdue
John Kenny moved to fullback and then had to quit due to a back injury. Funny to read all the excuses for why Iowa has come to Indiana and taken several of the best players.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
Not what he said later in the recruiting process.

Link? I provided my proof, where's yours?

If we pulled a offer, from the own kids mouth because he doesn't fit scheme wise, again, from the kids mouth, then he's not gonna fit scheme wise 2 or 3 months later.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
Link? I provided my proof, where's yours?

If we pulled a offer, from the own kids mouth because he doesn't fit scheme wise, again, from the kids mouth, then he's not gonna fit scheme wise 2 or 3 months later.
He has no, zero, nada, zip for proof, never does, he just googles and makes stuff up.

Great.... and what's the excuse for failing to upgrade year after year for the past 30? You seem to be an apologizer for the University. I pissed in those urinals exactly the same when I was 6 years old... I'm 50 now. The same frigg'n sinks and shitters....

Let's not even talk about lack of investment in personnel and staff over the years. They have been negligent and have taken advantage of the donors ..... no intent on putting teams on the field that was meant to compete even though promoting that they were in order to extract more and more.

Think about that before you provide another excuse. That's 44 years of taking.... walk a mile in some of our shoes before you cast stones. You are still a baby in comparison of experience when it comes to IU

The excuse is that IU had athletic department leadership with no vision and cowered in the shadow of Bob Knight. They could not envision an environment where you could have strength in more than one major men's sport. Even during the height of the Mallory years they had zero investment in facility upgrades. They paid poorly and figured the formula to success was riding on the coat tails of basketball. And, they didn't invest there either.

Well, guess what happened? Both Wisconsin and MSU had a resurgence in football. Wisconsin basically was from the ground up. And then, those schools took that money from football and built new basketball arenas and attracted quality coaches. Meanwhile, IU sat that hoping and praying for some kind of miracle without having to fork over some cash to reap the rewards. And soon enough, you had two schools that were enjoying major success in both sports and bypassed IU even in it's holy grail of basketball.

We did everything on the cheap and didn't want to think outside the box.
Now, we have an AD who actually has a grander vision and is making improvements and the old timers are befuddled by this new strategy. This wasn't how "things were done back when Bobby was here."

John Kenny moved to fullback and then had to quit due to a back injury. Funny to read all the excuses for why Iowa has come to Indiana and taken several of the best players.

Well, Iowa has also gone to Michigan and taken some of the best players like Desmond King. Are you going to say they out recruited Michigan and MSU?

If IU goes into the state of Florida or Georgia and gets a kid at the level of a DJ Johnson, does it really matter where they pull them from? They get here and all wear the same uniform in the end.

Well, Iowa has also gone to Michigan and taken some of the best players like Desmond King. Are you going to say they out recruited Michigan and MSU?

If IU goes into the state of Florida or Georgia and gets a kid at the level of a DJ Johnson, does it really matter where they pull them from? They get here and all wear the same uniform in the end.
Do you think MSU and UM were all over DK? They weren't. Funny how the excuses flow with people who consider .500 to be a great year. No wonder Iu football is mediocre. It's what fans like you and Johnsy and a few others actively support.

Do you think MSU and UM were all over DK? They weren't. Funny how the excuses flow with people who consider .500 to be a great year. No wonder Iu football is mediocre. It's what fans like you and Johnsy and a few others actively support.
Serious question, if you don't like what you see SO much from the AD to Tom Allen to Archie Miller, why the hell are you here ?? Go someplace else where you can be happy, if that is even possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: IU Scott
The excuse is that IU had athletic department leadership with no vision and cowered in the shadow of Bob Knight. They could not envision an environment where you could have strength in more than one major men's sport. Even during the height of the Mallory years they had zero investment in facility upgrades. They paid poorly and figured the formula to success was riding on the coat tails of basketball. And, they didn't invest there either.

Well, guess what happened? Both Wisconsin and MSU had a resurgence in football. Wisconsin basically was from the ground up. And then, those schools took that money from football and built new basketball arenas and attracted quality coaches. Meanwhile, IU sat that hoping and praying for some kind of miracle without having to fork over some cash to reap the rewards. And soon enough, you had two schools that were enjoying major success in both sports and bypassed IU even in it's holy grail of basketball.

We did everything on the cheap and didn't want to think outside the box.
Now, we have an AD who actually has a grander vision and is making improvements and the old timers are befuddled by this new strategy. This wasn't how "things were done back when Bobby was here."

I like what you posted except for the blaming of Bob Knight. If anything, his success allowed them to run on the cheap. He didn't demand that they do it.

Either way you look at it..... they owe.

Great.... and what's the excuse for failing to upgrade year after year for the past 30? You seem to be an apologizer for the University. I pissed in those urinals exactly the same when I was 6 years old... I'm 50 now. The same frigg'n sinks and shitters....

Let's not even talk about lack of investment in personnel and staff over the years. They have been negligent and have taken advantage of the donors ..... no intent on putting teams on the field that was meant to compete even though promoting that they were in order to extract more and more.

Think about that before you provide another excuse. That's 44 years of taking.... walk a mile in some of our shoes before you cast stones. You are still a baby in comparison of experience when it comes to IU
What are you talking about? I've complained about those bathrooms for years on here. I was simply responding to your rant saying that they are finally addressing the situation and pointing out that if you really don't like using the older restrooms, there are much nicer restrooms to use. They definitely should've upgraded the restrooms two decades ago. Unfortunately, Fred Glass has had to upgrade pretty much every facility here in pieces because nobody did anything for decades, like you said. You were totally right about that. I was agreeing with you, I was just pointing out that it is being addressed finally, and has been addressed in one part of the stadium. Jesus, chill out.

Seriously, where in my post did I cast a stone? I was literally just responding to your complaint saying that it's finally being addressed. Again, I totally agree with you, they should've been renovated 20 years ago. Those stupid sinks are terrible where you have to wash one hand at a time because you have to press down the faucet button. I'm not sure what your problem is exactly, why you're ranting at me, or why you're ranting at Fred Glass for addressing the issues that previous athletic directors neglected, but calm down.

You've gotten all over previous administrations for not doing anything, but then also got on the current administration for correcting those mistakes and saying they don't actually deserve any credit for it because the previous administrations should've done it. That doesn't really make any sense. I mean everything you complained about in that post, upgrading facilities, spending more money, having a competitive team, has literally been addressed in the past few years. Relax.

And just to say it again so I don't get screamed at again, the restrooms are terrible. I agree. I'm glad it's being addressed finally. I was simply letting you know if you didn't know that already.

Bathrooms always seemed more circa 1860.
I agree they're awful. My entire point was that they're finally being addressed in case people didn't know. I'm not really sure what I did wrong. The old restrooms suck. The troughs suck and the sinks suck.

I've been complaining about those things for years.

I remember going into them as a kid and being completely bewildered about the whole idea. GD, I guess modesty wasn't in the cards when they built that place.
I swear to you, Michigan State's were even worse up until about 10 years ago. Some of the nastiest stalls I have ever seen, and tiny. And before Michigan Stadium's giant renovation a few years ago, you literally peed on the wall.

And no, modesty wasn't really a concern. There used to be a stadium in Louisville where the restrooms were just open toilets sitting in the middle of the room.

What are you talking about? I've complained about those bathrooms for years on here. I was simply responding to your rant saying that they are finally addressing the situation and pointing out that if you really don't like using the older restrooms, there are much nicer restrooms to use. They definitely should've upgraded the restrooms two decades ago. Unfortunately, Fred Glass has had to upgrade pretty much every facility here in pieces because nobody did anything for decades, like you said. You were totally right about that. I was agreeing with you, I was just pointing out that it is being addressed finally, and has been addressed in one part of the stadium. Jesus, chill out.

Seriously, where in my post did I cast a stone? I was literally just responding to your complaint saying that it's finally being addressed. Again, I totally agree with you, they should've been renovated 20 years ago. Those stupid sinks are terrible where you have to wash one hand at a time because you have to press down the faucet button. I'm not sure what your problem is exactly, why you're ranting at me, or why you're ranting at Fred Glass for addressing the issues that previous athletic directors neglected, but calm down.

You've gotten all over previous administrations for not doing anything, but then also got on the current administration for correcting those mistakes and saying they don't actually deserve any credit for it because the previous administrations should've done it. That doesn't really make any sense. I mean everything you complained about in that post, upgrading facilities, spending more money, having a competitive team, has literally been addressed in the past few years. Relax.

And just to say it again so I don't get screamed at again, the restrooms are terrible. I agree. I'm glad it's being addressed finally. I was simply letting you know if you didn't know that already.

Victim of context RBB... my apologies.... as far as addressing the current admin, I am happy to see them finally investing in the facilities. What I push back at is when it is used an an excuse for not making money available for staff for example. It is what it is.... we are in a better place than 10 years ago but I'd like to see the continued growth in money for staff and assistants....

I agree they're awful. My entire point was that they're finally being addressed in case people didn't know. I'm not really sure what I did wrong. The old restrooms suck. The troughs suck and the sinks suck.

I've been complaining about those things for years.
You didn't do anything wrong. My comment was a weak attempt at humor. The troughs are definitely unique.

Have a good weekend. Six more days!

Victim of context RBB... my apologies.... as far as addressing the current admin, I am happy to see them finally investing in the facilities. What I push back at is when it is used an an excuse for not making money available for staff for example. It is what it is.... we are in a better place than 10 years ago but I'd like to see the continued growth in money for staff and assistants....

I think the money is there if need be to pay assistants. IU just ends up somewhat on the lower scale of assistant pay because the guys that can command the higher salaries have options at bigger programs than IU, and as such aren't all that interested in coming here. Even then, IU predominantly only really falls behind because of coordinator pay, non-coordinator pay is actually pretty competitive with the rest of the conference.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
I like what you posted except for the blaming of Bob Knight. If anything, his success allowed them to run on the cheap. He didn't demand that they do it.

Either way you look at it..... they owe.

I wasn't trying to blame Knight. I probably stated that poorly. What I meant to say is that having a larger-than-life figure on campus, I think it influenced the vision of the athletic department. And, even with basketball, the AD and staff tried to ride that train for as long as possible for free.

I still maintain that IU made a crucial, crucial error in the years 1987-1992 when they failed to do anything with the football facilities. They could have struck when the iron was hot but did not.

I wasn't trying to blame Knight. I probably stated that poorly. What I meant to say is that having a larger-than-life figure on campus, I think it influenced the vision of the athletic department. And, even with basketball, the AD and staff tried to ride that train for as long as possible for free.

I still maintain that IU made a crucial, crucial error in the years 1987-1992 when they failed to do anything with the football facilities. They could have struck when the iron was hot but did not.

Also, it didn't help that Knight's old school attitude probably propagated the idea that all that newfangled extra stuff just made kids these days soft.

Serious question, if you don't like what you see SO much from the AD to Tom Allen to Archie Miller, why the hell are you here ?? Go someplace else where you can be happy, if that is even possible.
Where have I said I don't like Allen? You're the one who thinks .500 seasons are good enough.

John transferred to Arizona where he played in 2016.....He's since graduated.

For someone who knows everything you sure do get a lot wrong.

Where have I said I don't like Allen? You're the one who thinks .500 seasons are good enough.

I think there's a difference between thinking .500 seasons are "good enough" in the short term vs the long term. I don't think you'll find anyone that would happy being a perpetual .500 team, but most see a few years of that as an acceptable point in a progression to more success.

I think there's a difference between thinking .500 seasons are "good enough" in the short term vs the long term. I don't think you'll find anyone that would happy being a perpetual .500 team, but most see a few years of that as an acceptable point in a progression to more success.

You've nailed it here in pointing out this disingenuous theory that some have been very vocal about here: fans are "satisfied" with .500 seasons.

6-6 with a bowl game is a hell of a lot better than 3-9 and no post season. It's showing progress, not the same old pattern. Forever a program that has been rock bottom for so long, it's a positive...and yet people keep spinning it as a negative. You rarely ever wave a magic wand and go from 3 wins to 9 in a season, particularly for a program that has no tradition. Sure, it happens but it's the exception.

I don't think anybody in their right mind would say they are satisfied but we can at least acknowledge that it is a step forward and not backward.

John transferred to Arizona where he played in 2016.....He's since graduated.

For someone who knows everything you sure do get a lot wrong.
Just telling you why he was nudged out of Iowa, since you weren't aware of that.

Of course we will believe you over the kid because you have so much more credibility as an anonymous internet troll.
I have him on ignore, but I've got to assume you're talking about ewezr. This is his M.O, and I guarantee you will see it in virtually every thread. He presents statements as "facts" or "the truth," offers no link or any other evidence to support them and then, when he's challenged, he'll either a) ignore the other poster's argument, b) attempt to divert and distract by bringing up something else, or c) try to shift the burden of proof back to the poster who's challenged him by saying the other poster needs to disprove his (ewezr's) claim! He must have missed the class on argumentation when he took college Philosophy sixty years ago, because that's the classic "appeal to ignorance" fallacy. He's big on straw man fallacies as well. And, when all else fails, he'll argue that he's in the know (intimating that he's got contacts within Athletics) and you aren't. The poor guy has many issues and zero credibility.

Well, there's really nothing in the program currently that suggests anything better than .500 is attainable on something approaching a consistent basis, if even in successive years. I realize the highly wishful thinking that passes for analysis here, but an objective look at the program says .500 is likely as good as it gets, with very few exceptions. That's likely what Toks and Johnson and Brent and the Tracy's see, and it's what the vast majority of the best in state players see on their way to another school.

I have him on ignore, but I've got to assume you're talking about ewezr. This is his M.O, and I guarantee you will see it in virtually every thread. He presents statements as "facts" or "the truth," offers no link or any other evidence to support them and then, when he's challenged, he'll either a) ignore the other poster's argument, b) attempt to divert and distract by bringing up something else, or c) try to shift the burden of proof back to the poster who's challenged him by saying the other poster needs to disprove his (ewezr's) claim! He must have missed the class on argumentation when he took college Philosophy sixty years ago, because that's the classic "appeal to ignorance" fallacy. He's big on straw man fallacies as well. And, when all else fails, he'll argue that he's in the know (intimating that he's got contacts within Athletics) and you aren't. The poor guy has many issues and zero credibility.
Funny how you continue to respond to me even though allegedly have me on ignore. You sure seem to pay a lot of attention to me, likely for a very obvious reason. Lol. But on the credibility front, no ines is lower than yours, which consists of nothing but substance less cheerleading.

Just telling you why he was nudged out of Iowa, since you weren't aware of that.

I don't know or care if he was nudge out of Iowa.

But he didn't quit football, which is what I responded to.

Quit moving the target. It's ok not to know everything.

Let's just say you never have a good thing to say about anything Indiana.
As others have pointed out, people (myself included) are not satisfied with .500 seasons, but you have to walk before you can run. I'll take the improvement I saw in the defense last year as a start. Do we have a way to go ? Absolutely, and as much as MTIOTF ( and the rest of us) would like 12-0 and a Rose Bowl, we are not there yet. We clearly have better athletes now and need to keep building it, but it will not happen overnight. I disagree with you about our recruiting, we already have 7 guys rated 5.6 or better , and if we add guys like Charlton, Peat and Walker things will be looking up for a good finish to this class.

I realize the highly wishful thinking that passes for analysis here, but an objective look at the program says .500 is likely as good as it gets, with very few exceptions.

Now that's a bit of a stretch. There are of course no guarantees, but I think there is potential there to make progress.

Allen is clearly getting a shot at HC much earlier than his resume would indicate, but with his quick rise through the coaching ranks, its certainly plausible that he would eventually have gotten that shot. And he is walking into a program that is in fairly stable condition that has had a year to get acquainted with so he will have some time to finding his footing.

Essentially, I want to see what happens this year under Allen, and if recruiting still remains flat if he still able to manage a respectable season

Last edited:
Let's just say you never have a good thing to say about anything Indiana.
As others have pointed out, people (myself included) are not satisfied with .500 seasons, but you have to walk before you can run. I'll take the improvement I saw in the defense last year as a start. Do we have a way to go ? Absolutely, and as much as MTIOTF ( and the rest of us) would like 12-0 and a Rose Bowl, we are not there yet. We clearly have better athletes now and need to keep building it, but it will not happen overnight. I disagree with you about our recruiting, we already have 7 guys rated 5.6 or better , and if we add guys like Charlton, Peat and Walker things will be looking up for a good finish to this class.
Relative to the rest of the BiG, do you consider IU's recruiting to be sufficient to move up in the conference? If so, why?

Now that's a bit of a stretch. There are of course no guarantees, but I think there is potential there to make progress.

Allen is clearly getting a shot at HC much earlier than his resume would indicate, but with his quick rise through the coaching ranks, its certainly plausible that he would eventually have gotten that shot. And he is walking into a program that is in fairly stable condition that has had a year to get acquainted with so he will have some time to finding his footing.

Essentially, I want to see what happens this year under Allen, and if recruiting still remains flat if he still able to manage a respectable season
I don't begrudge Allen his opportunity, but the fundamental weakness of IU's athletic director is that he neither played or coached sports, and he's never been an athletic administrator of any kind. This lack of experience has manifested itself in a number of ways, most notably in his hiring and "nurturing" of coaches. On that front, I think his record has been spotty, at best. And while Miller was a good hire, Glass didn't want to fire his predecessor and had plenty of help finding AM.

I like Allen, but he has far less experience than Wilson, yet the expectation is that he'll do at least as well. A brief stint as a position coach at a scandal ridden program followed by one year as a D.C. at USF and one year in the same position at IU is a pretty thin resume. Put another way, it would be extraordinarily unusual for another BiG school to hire a coach under such circumstances, and the one school that did only did so after their coach passed away suddenly and they retained the guy who was being groomed for the job. Expecting that's Allen seems wishful to me, and I think the recruiting struggles are showing that now.

and I think the recruiting struggles are showing that now.

Could you enlighten me at all on this comment? I've seen you comment on it before. What makes you think our recruiting right now is any worse than it was a year ago, or two years ago? 14 recruits at this point, mostly 3 star seems about average over the last several years. Sure we've missed some guys I wanted to commit, but I can say that every year.

Now I'm not saying I'm satisfied with it, but I wouldn't call it "struggles."

Reactions: Tokyo Steve
First he says John quit football due to a back injury then changed his story to he was nudged out. That is the difficulty in dealing with these types of trolls he spread fake news. When caught in fake news they just change their story.
Just telling you why he left Iowa, though I suspect your true aim here isn't about knowing the truth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT