ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Johnson

secondasky

Junior
Sep 8, 2013
Not being connected to the program anymore, there are a few head scratchers and DJ going to Iowa is one of them. Didn't know if anyone had further info.

Not being connected to the program anymore, there are a few head scratchers and DJ going to Iowa is one of them. Didn't know if anyone had further info.

I think the kid just liked the school. He chose them over ND.

Iowa has done very well in Indy. A lot to sell there, and they're continuing to pursue Taylor.

Players like this are the ones we have to keep in state. We can't be losing in state players to schools like Iowa , Minnesota or any other big ten schools like this. I can see losing players to OSU and UM but not to the middle of the pack schools.

Players like this are the ones we have to keep in state. We can't be losing in state players to schools like Iowa , Minnesota or any other big ten schools like this. I can see losing players to OSU and UM but not to the middle of the pack schools.
We just got one in Reese Taylor, although it's kind of hard to complain considering Iowa and Minnesota have had MUCH more success than we have in the last 25 years.

Iowa had a "down" year last year and won eight games. We haven't won eight games in two decades. They were also in the Rose Bowl two years ago.

Minnesota has won at least eight games three of the past four years and has been to more bowl games in the past 15 years than we've been to in our entire history.

Johnson has also been a pretty heavy Iowa lean for a while and we aren't exactly struggling to recruit defensive backs.

Fan support and overall atmosphere are much greater at Iowa, where they've had a sustained winning program since the early '80's. As Toks made clear a couple years ago, that's a big deal to kids.

That's only based on total commits, not the individual recruit ranking. On the latter basis, they're ahead of IU.
Well, they are ahead on average star rating by .06, we have 7 commits at 5.6 or better, they have 6. The point being ,you keep insisting our recruiting is slow or lagging behind, yet your quick to praise Iowa whose recruiting mirrors ours at this point. Interesting.

Reactions: RBB89
Well, they are ahead on average star rating by .06, we have 7 commits at 5.6 or better, they have 6. The point being ,you keep insisting our recruiting is slow or lagging behind, yet your quick to praise Iowa whose recruiting mirrors ours at this point. Interesting.
I praised them for getting (so far) four kids from Indiana that IU wanted. Pretty hard to say IU is doing well in recruiting when Iowa has dominated them in their own state, don't you think?

And it's "you're", not "your". Now that school is back in session, perhaps they'll cover that little issue in English.

Hey look ordfan ruined another thread.

Hey look ordfan ruined another thread.
No, I'm just adding facts to a subject that you're well known for wildly embellishing. Your track record on this subject is exceedingly poor, so you'd be wise to excuse yourself from further embarrassment. I realize you have some issues, though, so I'm trying to be understanding.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
I praised them for getting (so far) four kids from Indiana that IU wanted. Pretty hard to say IU is doing well in recruiting when Iowa has dominated them in their own state, don't you think?

And it's "you're", not "your". Now that school is back in session, perhaps they'll cover that little issue in English.
You're a douche

As you are aware, IU told Torres to look elsewhere, but the other 3 I'm sure we would have taken (including a 2019 recruit) It does not change the fact that our recruiting is , at least ,as good as their's at this point.
Maybe they should offer our preferred walk on Tunstil.

Iowa has done very well in Indy. A lot to sell there, and they're continuing to pursue Taylor.

So, is their offer now a committable offer? Iowa was in Taylor's final group he was choosing from. You stated that his other offers had gone away.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
As you are aware, IU told Torres to look elsewhere, but the other 3 I'm sure we would have taken (including a 2019 recruit) It does not change the fact that our recruiting is , at least ,as good as their's at this point.
Maybe they should offer our preferred walk on Tunstil.
Torres had an offer. You just weren't aware of it.

We just got one in Reese Taylor, although it's kind of hard to complain considering Iowa and Minnesota have had MUCH more success than we have in the last 25 years.

Iowa had a "down" year last year and won eight games. We haven't won eight games in two decades. They were also in the Rose Bowl two years ago.

Minnesota has won at least eight games three of the past four years and has been to more bowl games in the past 15 years than we've been to in our entire history.

Johnson has also been a pretty heavy Iowa lean for a while and we aren't exactly struggling to recruit defensive backs.
I understand they have been more successful but until we keep these type of kids in state we will be a mediocre at best program. There is no reason that we can't be as successful as those programs or better than NW.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
Fan support and overall atmosphere are much greater at Iowa, where they've had a sustained winning program since the early '80's. As Toks made clear a couple years ago, that's a big deal to kids.

for all the spending Glass loves to do, he does exactly zero to try and fill the stands.

and he's never letting go of that mindset, EVER.

no telling how much the half empty or third empty stadium over the decades has hurt recruiting.

perhaps the political operative in Glass loves doling out dollars to construction interests way more than he does filling more seats in MS with actual fans for football games.

he didn't even do a "Knothole Club", after talking the talk endlessly.

the reason we don't get better attendance despite our history, (which becomes a vicious cycle of each bringing the other), is because we don't even try and never really have.

"hope for a miracle" has always been the attendance strategy.

as nice as the south end zone will look, it won't do 1/100th for recruiting what a full stadium would.

as for the "winning will bring the fans" captain obvious clones, pretty hard to win consistently if a third empty stadium is a turnoff to recruits.

and once you do start winning, you can always back off the promotions. (and yet this post will get several "winning will bring the fans" responses, from those who just don't get it, never will, but still just can't help themselves.

and before you go there 89, spare us the grossly inflated attendance figures Glass has put out there since he got here.

for all the spending Glass loves to do, he does exactly zero to try and fill the stands.

no telling how much the half empty or third empty stadium over the decades has hurt recruiting.

perhaps the political operative in Glass loves doling out dollars to construction interests way more than he does filling more seats in MS with actual fans for football games.

the reason we don't get better attendance despite our history, (which becomes a vicious cycle of each bringing the other), is because we don't even try and never really have.

as nice as the south end zone will look, it won't do 1/100th for recruiting what a full stadium would.

as for the "winning will bring the fans" captain obvious clones, pretty hard to win consistently if a third empty stadium is a turnoff to recruits.

and once you do start winning, you can always back off the promotions. (and yet this post will get several "winning will bring the fans" responses, from those who just don't get it, never will, but still just can't help themselves.

and before you go there 89, spare us the grossly inflated attendance figures Glass has put out there since he got here.
Youth tickets are literally $10. And how exactly are we supposed to track attendance if you simply won't believe what the attendance figures are? We obviously don't sell out every week, but how do you suggest tracking attendance improvement if you don't believe any of the attendance figures?

Everyone uses tickets sold, and season ticket sales are obviously way up. So what exactly do you propose doing to track attendance improvement? Tickets sold per game is up from 31,000 to around 44,000 since he got here. You can't rant against a guy for not wanting to improve ticket sales, and then refuse to believe any of the ticket sales numbers that show significant improvement. Unless you're a crazy person...

We have the cheapest tickets in the Big Ten. Like I said earlier, youth tickets are $10. You can't really find that many other places. They are not going to give tickets away for free. That's a stupid strategy for a number of reasons.

and he's never letting go of that mindset, EVER
Wow. This is one of the most, um, ill-informed posts I've seen in a while. Per the NCAA:
IU's Avg. home attendance 2006: 33,063
Avg. home attendance 2007: 37,004
Avg. home attendance 2014: 41,657
Avg. home attendance 2015: 44,314
Avg. home attendance 2016: 43,027
http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/ncaa-football-attendance
Here's a tip. Don't challenge someone else's claim unless you've got some credible evidence to refute it.

Wow. This is one of the most, um, ill-informed posts I've seen in a while. Per the NCAA:
IU's Avg. home attendance 2006: 33,063
Avg. home attendance 2007: 37,004
Avg. home attendance 2014: 41,657
Avg. home attendance 2015: 44,314
Avg. home attendance 2016: 43,027
http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/ncaa-football-attendance
Here's a tip. Don't challenge someone else's claim unless you've got some credible evidence to refute it.
He knows those numbers. I've posted them before. He thinks that Glass is making all that up. Which is absolutely stupid. I mean it's obviously tickets sold and not butts in seats (which is what everyone does), but it's still a huge difference from what it was 10 years ago. I mean it's obvious if you go to any games now vs then.

This is the same guy who threw a fit over how big of a disaster the NEZ was because he kept insisting that it was way too far from the field, and that it would be a disaster to tear down the old rickety, rusty end zone bleachers. He also compared the current, pre-renovation, IU golf course to Augusta National.

I know literally nothing about this kid or his recruitment. What I do know is that on the face of it, IU lost a top notch player in their backyard to Iowa. I can't see how Tom Allen is going to continue to let an Iowa come into Indy and regularly pull kids like this out.

Sitting here looking at IU's yearly schedule and you start to wonder just how in the world they can finish in the top third of their division. Finishing 5th or 6th every year in the East division doesn't impress me one bit, even if it warrants a small bowl bid.

Having said that, things are more in place right now to produce success than ever before. They've still got to figure out a way to lock up kids like DJ Johnson who look to have tons of potential.

I hate to buy in so much to Rival's system, but there's something to be said about landing those 5.7 rated recruits. Those are the kids that you can win and beat the MSU and Penn States with...

Reactions: Ewezrfan1

Well,... I hate that your post makes me defend the spending.... the truth is the spending today is in part a reflection of NOT upgrading or maintaining the facility over 30+ years. I personally was sick of being soaked while walking in the stadium around the concession stands ... remember that? Year after year? I'm still sick of and would rather piss in a porta potty than piss in the urinals in the bathrooms....

My opinion is we shouldn't give to much credit to the admin for investing in long term assets. Fact is they needed to invest or risk losing them from lack of maintenance etc.... water and cement don't mix... I know a little bit about that and frankly, the stadium was an embarrassment to those in the know. The neglect over the years (and pocketing of revenue by the University) was a slap in the face of those asked to contribute. It truly was disposable income they were looking for....

Remember when RMK gave back or donated his salary when the team didn't preform up to par? I'd say THAT would go a long way with the University and its ulumni when it comes to the Football team or admin. This recent recruiting fiasco is just another example. They owe....

Reactions: td75
Well,... I hate that your post makes me defend the spending.... the truth is the spending today is in part a reflection of NOT upgrading or maintaining the facility over 30+ years. I personally was sick of being soaked while walking in the stadium around the concession stands ... remember that? Year after year? I'm still sick of and would rather piss in a porta potty than piss in the urinals in the bathrooms....

My opinion is we shouldn't give to much credit to the admin for investing in long term assets. Fact is they needed to invest or risk losing them from lack of maintenance etc.... water and cement don't mix... I know a little bit about that and frankly, the stadium was an embarrassment to those in the know. The neglect over the years (and pocketing of revenue by the University) was a slap in the face of those asked to contribute. It truly was disposable income they were looking for....

Remember when RMK gave back or donated his salary when the team didn't preform up to par? I'd say THAT would go a long way with the University and its ulumni when it comes to the Football team or admin. This recent recruiting fiasco is just another example. They owe....
The concessions and restrooms are being renovated after this season, as to be updated for ADA standards. The troughs will be gone. Also, the NEZ has had very nice restrooms for going on 7 years.

I remember going into them as a kid and being completely bewildered about the whole idea. GD, I guess modesty wasn't in the cards when they built that place.

Can somebody name 1 kid that played for the Iowa Hawkeyes over the years besides AJ Edds that was a prominent player on their team? A starting player who was an impact guy?
Toks may become that but he hasn't even played a down yet.

Until this current 2018 recruiting class, Iowa has landed 2 guys from the state of IN in the last 7 recruiting classes.
And, we flipped a 4 star Iowa verbal three years ago from Indianapolis who flamed out, never saw a down and left school.
The vast majority of the guys that see prime time at Iowa have come from states like Michigan and Illinois, not Indiana.

And, on this subject of fan base support and success: Iowa has seen consistency in both areas over the Ferentz years and, yet, they consistently also have recruiting classes that hover in the 40s. Our fans would be outraged and throwing tantrums if our level of success was at that level and we weren't pulling in more 4-star kids.

The concessions and restrooms are being renovated after this season, as to be updated for ADA standards. The troughs will be gone. Also, the NEZ has had very nice restrooms for going on 7 years.

Great.... and what's the excuse for failing to upgrade year after year for the past 30? You seem to be an apologizer for the University. I pissed in those urinals exactly the same when I was 6 years old... I'm 50 now. The same frigg'n sinks and shitters....

Let's not even talk about lack of investment in personnel and staff over the years. They have been negligent and have taken advantage of the donors ..... no intent on putting teams on the field that was meant to compete even though promoting that they were in order to extract more and more.

Think about that before you provide another excuse. That's 44 years of taking.... walk a mile in some of our shoes before you cast stones. You are still a baby in comparison of experience when it comes to IU

Reactions: Ewezrfan1
Can somebody name 1 kid that played for the Iowa Hawkeyes over the years besides AJ Edds that was a prominent player on their team? A starting player who was an impact guy?
Toks may become that but he hasn't even played a down yet.

Until this current 2018 recruiting class, Iowa has landed 2 guys from the state of IN in the last 7 recruiting classes.
And, we flipped a 4 star Iowa verbal three years ago from Indianapolis who flamed out, never saw a down and left school.
The vast majority of the guys that see prime time at Iowa have come from states like Michigan and Illinois, not Indiana.

And, on this subject of fan base support and success: Iowa has seen consistency in both areas over the Ferentz years and, yet, they consistently also have recruiting classes that hover in the 40s. Our fans would be outraged and throwing tantrums if our level of success was at that level and we weren't pulling in more 4-star kids.

I can't. However, I really thought the LB ( I think 4 star) in the year of the movement that went to Iowa from Indy would have been a starter. I think he ended up transferring but never cracked the starting lineup. I havent felt Iowa is a major competitor when it comes to people we also want in Indiana. ND, Mich, Mich St, Ohio State have had the pick of players over IU and Purdue

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT