ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointing draft

Hoosiers47614

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2019
I feel bad for our guys.

Jamar ends up going like 70+ spots below his draft projection and nobody else got picked at all. At the very least, Stevie and Jerome deserved a look, and maybe Whop, too.

I feel especially bad for Stevie since all coming back could’ve done for him is put more wear on pretty heavily used tires. He basically had to go this year to have his best shot.

Also, explain to me how the hell Jake Funk, who didn’t even start half the time for Maryland and had a fraction of the production, is more worthy of a pick than Stevie?

I feel bad for our guys.

Jamar ends up going like 70+ spots below his draft projection and nobody else got picked at all. At the very least, Stevie and Jerome deserved a look, and maybe Whop, too.

I feel especially bad for Stevie since all coming back could’ve done for him is put more wear on pretty heavily used tires. He basically had to go this year to have his best shot.

Also, explain to me how the hell Jake Funk, who didn’t even start half the time for Maryland and had a fraction of the production, is more worthy of a pick than Stevie?

I don't know much about Funk but Stevie Scott just had just way too much film out there of his going down on early or even, at times, on first contact on inside runs...

He looked a lot better in his last four or five games but those pro scouts inspect your whole body of work with a microscope...

Who knows though..., not having been drafted late may work out in his and the others favor...

Being an Undrafted Free Agent may give them a choice of teams where they might have a better chance of sticking...

I don't know much about Funk but Stevie Scott just had just way too much film out there of his going down on early or even, at times, on first contact on inside runs...

He looked a lot better in his last four or five games but those pro scouts inspect your whole body of work with a microscope...

Who knows though..., not having been drafted late may work out in his and the others favor...

Being an Undrafted Free Agent may give them a choice of teams where they might have a better chance of sticking...
Truthfully, he just wasn't that good. He had some good games, but overall he was a serviceable college running back, nothing more. And I hope he proves that I'm a dumbass and don't know shit.

Truthfully, he just wasn't that good. He had some good games, but overall he was a serviceable college running back, nothing more. And I hope he proves that I'm a dumbass and don't know shit.

He just needed a better RB coach... It's really a shame he didn't spend one year with McCullough...

I think he'll end up making someone's team...

He can catch the ball reliably on short routes and does a good job of blocking for the QB on passing downs...

His inside run film and foot speed hurt him but with some pro coaching I think he'll eventually see the field for someone...

Reactions: Seyton
He can catch the ball reliably on short routes and does a good job of blocking for the QB on passing downs...
Ageed. Those were his strong suits.
His inside run film and foot speed hurt him but with some pro coaching I think he'll eventually see the field for someone...
I don't claim to know much, but to me he seemed to lack vision and the lateral quicks needed to find and get to the hole. He ran where the hole was supposed to be, and if it wasn't there he just tried to power through.

I didn't spend a lot of time running through the line, but I learned early why we ran through tires and told to pick our feet up. Stevie would get tripped up from contact that others would power through. He could move a pile and pick up positive yards.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was able to improve with coaching and emerge as a good second back for several years.

I feel bad for our guys.

Also, explain to me how the hell Jake Funk, who didn’t even start half the time for Maryland and had a fraction of the production, is more worthy of a pick than Stevie
Wear & tear coming off an 8 game season though? I just don't see the logic in him declaring, but...it's his decision. It doesn't matter if I see his logic or not, it's his choice. & no matter what, I hope he tears it up!

Reactions: mk23 and vesuvius13
I'm pretty much in total agreement with you. I have no idea why he declared. I hope he proves me wrong, but....reminds me of when Devine Redding declared.

Stevie Scott was fine. But Jordan Howard was so much better. And he really only had a couple really good years. I never thought Scott had any nfl shot. Still don’t.

Wear & tear coming off an 8 game season though? I just don't see the logic in him declaring, but...it's his decision. It doesn't matter if I see his logic or not, it's his choice. & no matter what, I hope he tears it up!

Not this year, the wear and tear on another 12 or most likely 13 game season.

Stevie wasn't gonna get faster. He wasn't gonna get quicker. All he was gonna do was take more pounding to his body. There was no upside on him coming back draft wise.

Even if all he does is make a practice squad now, practice squad players make just shy of 10k a year for 17 weeks. That's a good chunk of change.

They don’t care about that as much as we think. If he had the athletic traits that they wanted he’d have been drafted.

Reactions: BayernFan
It is clear NFL teams saw our players as over achieving players on a team that played over their head this past few years. In some ways it does how the talent of the underclassmen is what really drives this team and those players will now be the experienced players leading the team.

It is clear NFL teams saw our players as over achieving players on a team that played over their head this past few years. In some ways it does how the talent of the underclassmen is what really drives this team and those players will now be the experienced players leading the team.
Traits of a well coached team! I go back to Navy beating Indiana and the Hoosiers never forcing them to punt one time. That was about coaching or the lack there of.

Last edited:
They don’t care about that as much as we think. If he had the athletic traits that they wanted he’d have been drafted.
I believe his issues I mentioned earlier are correctable. He won't break big runs, but he could be a backup or third down back for someone.

Reactions: 76-1
He just needed a better RB coach... It's really a shame he didn't spend one year with McCullough...

I think he'll end up making someone's team...

I think he would have made a helluva linebacker, which is what other teams were recruiting him for.

Like you, I think he was his best in space and we had good success throwing to him out of the backfield.

It seemed like he was a good dude and I wish him the best.

Jamar Johnson is the one I'm scratching my head over. 5th round is an insult. I think he'd have gone a lot higher if he'd some back strong his Senior year.

Last edited:
I think he would have made a helluva linebacker, which is what other teams were recruiting him for.

Like you, I think he was his best in space and we had good success throwing to him out of the backfield.

It seemed like he was a good dude and I wish him the best.

Jamar Johnson is the one I'm scratching his head over. 5th round is an insult. I think he'd have gone a lot higher if he'd some back strong his Senior year.
Correct!! Stevie would've been a tremendous linebacker!

Reactions: 76-1
Pro teams of every sport draft on potential not production. It seems like most of our guys were just a little bit below on some measurables. Quite frankly that’s why we got them to begin with instead of a SEC or ACC power. They’ll all get their shot...maybe they’ll use this as a chip on their shoulder.

I am reminded of a guy from Indiana who had outstanding ability relative to the conference that he was in and he decided to stay in school for his senior year even though he was drafted. He had an outstanding senior season and then became a professional after he finished his four years of college. He was an older guy going into school. All things considered he did pretty well.
I have a little bit of a hard time reconciling the love each other mantra with players who leave early with really no chance of playing in the pros. Can’t blame that on Coach Allen.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I believe his issues I mentioned earlier are correctable. He won't break big runs, but he could be a backup or third down back for someone.
I just don't think he's fast enough. 4.66 40s at your pro day don't get you drafted. He'd have been the second slowest RB at the last combine and the pro day times are usually better than the electronic times that are taken at the combines.

you're right. there's still a lack of respect for iufb.

you're right. there's still a lack of respect for iufb.
I don't think IUFB's respect or lack thereof has much to do with the draft status of these players. It is about specific combine results and potential as discussed above. I think we will see some good news wit FA.

I don't think IUFB's respect or lack thereof has much to do with the draft status of these players. It is about specific combine results and potential as discussed above. I think we will see some good news wit FA.
i disagree. there were several players from teams that i think we're better than and actually defeated that were picked above our guys. that's a lack of respect.

Ageed. Those were his strong suits.

I don't claim to know much, but to me he seemed to lack vision and the lateral quicks needed to find and get to the hole. He ran where the hole was supposed to be, and if it wasn't there he just tried to power through.
Agree with original post and your assessments. Thought he did an Excellent job in pass protection last season, and had a good nose for the end zone too. But his lack of speed, vision, seemed to make him look good but not NFL great. But would love for him to stick with Saints or someone else in the league!

I just don't think he's fast enough. 4.66 40s at your pro day don't get you drafted. He'd have been the second slowest RB at the last combine and the pro day times are usually better than the electronic times that are taken at the combines.
He never had the speed for big plays. I hope he can find a spot somewhere. He was never going to be a high draft pick so he might have left at the right time before an injury that would have ruined any chance.

Since was a toss up whether Stevie played RB or LB out of HS, hopefully he can make team, then make an impact on special teams. That’s his best bet for the near-future. If he does that, then maybe he can get some touches inside the 5 with his nose for the end zone. Some of my favorite plays of the last couple years were him destroying guys at the goal line (Nebraska, Penn State, UM, MSU) or his stiff arming the Northwestern guy in the open field.

ADVERTISEMENT