ADVERTISEMENT

Didn't Trump criticize Pres. Obama playing golf?

Updated at 11:29 a.m. ET

President Trump's decision Thursday to end subsidy payments to health insurance companies is expected to raise premiums for middle-class families and cost the federal government hundreds of billions of dollars.

The administration said it would stop reimbursing insurers for discounts on co-payments and deductibles that they are required by law to offer to low-income consumers. The reimbursements are known as cost-sharing reduction payments, or CSRs.

Insurance companies still have to give the discounts to low-income customers. So if the government doesn't reimburse the insurers, they'll make up the money by charging higher premiums for coverage.

The subsidy cut was the second swipe the White House took at the Affordable Care Act insurance markets Thursday in what many critics say is a deliberate campaign to destabilize them in hopes of forcing Congress to repeal the law.

POLITICS
Trump Uses Executive Pen To Chip Away At Obamacare

"Ending the CSR payments is another sign that President Trump is doing what he can to undermine the stability of the individual market under the ACA," wrote Tim Jost, professor emeritus of law at Washington and Lee University who contributes to the Health Affairs blog.

The decision will most directly affect middle-class families who buy their own insurance without financial help from the government. Consumers who earn more than 400 percent of the federal poverty level — an individual with income of about $48,000 or a family of four that makes more than $98,400 — will likely see their costs for coverage rise next year by an average of about 20 percent nationwide.

People with lower incomes will be unaffected since the ACA, also known as Obamacare, provides government subsidies — in the form of tax credits — that ensure their out-of-pocket insurance costs remain stable. So when premiums rise, those tax credits rise in tandem.

Ezekiel Emanuel, an oncologist who chairs the Department of Medical Ethics and Health Policy at the University of Pennsylvania.

"The people who are particularly going to hurt are the people who don't get any subsidies. They just have to buy their own insurance," Emanuel, one of the architects of the ACA, told Morning Edition on Friday.

Ironically, the decision to end the $7 billion-a-year cost-sharing payments is likely to cost the federal government more than making them — nearly $200 billion over 10 years, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

That is because the ACA requires that premiums don't exceed a set percentage of a person's income. So as premiums set by insurance companies rise over time, the government has to boost its tax credits so the cost to the consumer remains the same.

Edit this was from NPR written by Alison Kodjak

So the policy is mind numbingly stupid in every way possible.

I think you'll see Congress actually do something to fund this specific issue.
Did I hear somewhere (I can't remember if I actually heard it, or just heard about it) where Trump declared Obamacare "dead". If that's the case, then he's declared that he/they (the Pubs) own whatever we end up with going forward.

Did I hear somewhere (I can't remember if I actually heard it, or just heard about it) where Trump declared Obamacare "dead". If that's the case, then he's declared that he/they (the Pubs) own whatever we end up with going forward.

Yup. He bragged and bragged, "There is no such thing as ObamaCare any more. It's dead."

Reactions: UncleMark
I think I’ve been sympathetic of you’re wife’s insurance needs in the past discussions with you.
Maybe you have. What I recall is being denigrated until I explained to you in detail my situation, i.e. making it about real people instead of some stereotype. Then you backed off. But I may have you mixed up with someone else. That's the price you pay for getting old.
I want to make a point your weren’t losing your subsidy. That’s what most people assumed with Trump’s order
"Most" people don't know WTF is going on. All they know is what they hear in their silos ("corporate welfare"). Me, I'm a little more informed than your average poor white trailer trash, and was well aware that Trump was doing his best to sabotage the ACA, while at the same time trying to mollify his base (many of whom are my neighbors).

I think you'll see Congress actually do something to fund this specific issue.

I hope you’re right. I am not convinced they can agree on anything. Looks like they’re going to fail on the budget. I don’t get Rand Paul. I understand you have to have principles but it doesn’t appear any of them understand compromise.

Maybe you have. What I recall is being denigrated until I explained to you in detail my situation, i.e. making it about real people instead of some stereotype. Then you backed off. But I may have you mixed up with someone else. That's the price you pay for getting old.).

I think we all have a problem stereotyping posters. I can think of a couple that I have pegged correctly. Lol.

Did you see that they have cremated over 900 people due to "natural causes?" What is going on there is a disaster and there is zero doubt in my mind it wouldn't be happening if it was Florida or Texas. The media is also dropping the ball on this story.

Did you see that they have cremated over 900 people due to "natural causes?" What is going on there is a disaster and there is zero doubt in my mind it wouldn't be happening if it was Florida or Texas. The media is also dropping the ball on this story.

This too:
The CEO of Whitefish Energy, the small Montana company under intense scrutiny for an up to $300 million contract to help restore power to storm-ravaged Puerto Rico, said that he first made contact with officials on the island through the social networking site LinkedIn — and not through any previous connections.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/p...rto-rico-deal-says-critics-witch-hunt-n815356

He got a $300million contract through Linkedin? That's $30+ a month well spent. :rolleyes:

As they say, crap rolls down from the top or words to that effect.

Why is there "zero doubt" in your mind?

I think that's pretty obvious. The funds and recovery mission has been totally different in Texas and Florida than it has in Puerto Rico. Do you disagree?
What is obvious? If there is a difference, what is the difference and why is there a difference?

What is obvious? If there is a difference, what is the difference and why is there a difference?
Have you seriously done no research on this at all? My guess is you know and you're just being argumentative for the sake of it again. As I told you on our last discussion of this, the money granted from Congress is a loan, and that's not what happened in Texas or Florida. The Jones Act was only waived for 10 days. Trump threatened to take FEMA workers out early. It appears the company that was granted the recovery contract was merely a favor and is not at all qualified. People coming back from the island are begging for more help. Should I link some more articles for you or is this enough?

To be fair, their infrastructure wasn't exactly "up to date" prior to the storm. Trump has zero impact on what's happening on the ground. He's totally removed from the process. Probably a lot less media coverage because it's not part of the continental US. Presumably harder to get resources there as well.

To be fair, their infrastructure wasn't exactly "up to date" prior to the storm. Trump has zero impact on what's happening on the ground. He's totally removed from the process. Probably a lot less media coverage because it's not part of the continental US. Presumably harder to get resources there as well.
Oh there's no doubt it is a more difficult situation and the infrastructure has been ignored for decades. But the uproar if the neglect was happening in Florida or Texas would be ongoing and constant.

Trump is absolutely hated in Puerto Rico even with throwing paper towel rolls into crowd. How arrogant of him.

Trump is absolutely hated in Puerto Rico even with throwing paper towel rolls into crowd. How arrogant of him.
I am sure they had some use for the paper towels, such as..., well, I can't think of one off hand, but I am sure they will find them useful.:eek:

Oh there's no doubt it is a more difficult situation and the infrastructure has been ignored for decades. But the uproar if the neglect was happening in Florida or Texas would be ongoing and constant.
The problem with our treatment of PR is sort of universal, I think. Sadly. Besides Trump's disparate comments compared to the mainland*, I also think this was only really a big story for the media for as long as they could blame Trump. As a nation, we just don't care as much as we should.

Infrastructure is a huge problem. I'd hope this disaster would wake us (and Congress) up to the investment that needs to be put into the island, but I'm not optimistic. The island is basically a third world territory of the US, and that can't be a long-term status. I don't know if the future is statehood or independence, but eventually it has to be something, and we're not doing what is necessary to bring that future - whatever it is - about.

* I don't say this flippantly: I'm not convinced that Trump was even aware PR was part of the United States when the hurricane first hit.

Reactions: MrBing
Have you seriously done no research on this at all? My guess is you know and you're just being argumentative for the sake of it again. As I told you on our last discussion of this, the money granted from Congress is a loan, and that's not what happened in Texas or Florida. The Jones Act was only waived for 10 days. Trump threatened to take FEMA workers out early. It appears the company that was granted the recovery contract was merely a favor and is not at all qualified. People coming back from the island are begging for more help. Should I link some more articles for you or is this enough?
Actually, I've done quite a bit. I wanted to hear you to describe it only partially correctly, to avoid mentioning the significant difference in devastation and the unique difficulties in providing assistance, and to place blame in your usual entirely partisan manner.

Reactions: stollcpa
The problem with our treatment of PR is sort of universal, I think. Sadly. Besides Trump's disparate comments compared to the mainland*, I also think this was only really a big story for the media for as long as they could blame Trump. As a nation, we just don't care as much as we should.

Infrastructure is a huge problem. I'd hope this disaster would wake us (and Congress) up to the investment that needs to be put into the island, but I'm not optimistic. The island is basically a third world territory of the US, and that can't be a long-term status. I don't know if the future is statehood or independence, but eventually it has to be something, and we're not doing what is necessary to bring that future - whatever it is - about.

* I don't say this flippantly: I'm not convinced that Trump was even aware PR was part of the United States when the hurricane first hit.
Yeah I'm not even blaming this one on Trump. It's kind of on everyone.

25% of his days of the presidency golfing.
33% of his days at properties he owns.
Stock market at the all-time record high.
Unemployment is nearing record low.

Lessons learnt for Kelly Professors and to their students: Play more, work less and the best results can be achieved. Believe me.

Happy Days!

Lessons learnt for Kelly Professors and to their students: Play more, work less and the best results can be achieved. Believe me.

Happy Days!

I used to be critical of Trump playing too much golf.
Having seen what he does when he is not playing golf, I have come to the realization that I would rather have him play more golf than pretending to govern. Yes, $81 million is a lot of money but it is cheaper than rebuilding the country after he screws it up.:(

I used to be critical of Trump playing too much golf.
Having seen what he does when he is not playing golf, I have come to the realization that I would rather have him play more golf than pretending to govern. Yes, $81 million is a lot of money but it is cheaper than rebuilding the country after he screws it up.:(

Aah, the ol' devil and the deep blue sea conundrum.

Happy Days!

Wow. It's almost like he's a blatant hypocrite and all his supporters are raging idiots. I wonder how many of our Cooler Trumpistas blasted Obama for his golf.

(I won't ruin it; do a search. They are exactly who you'd expect.)

Reactions: MrBing
Wow. It's almost like he's a blatant hypocrite and all his supporters are raging idiots. I wonder how many of our Cooler Trumpistas blasted Obama for his golf.

(I won't ruin it; do a search. They are exactly who you'd expect.)

Huh? Many people say he is the most honest guy in the country.

No he is not double dipping, I wish you would try to look for the good in our President for a change.

No he is not double dipping, I wish you would try to look for the good in our President for a change.
Explain to me why it is not double dipping unless he doesn't charge us for his stay at his own place. If he charges us for his stay at his own place, isn't that the very definition of double dipping?

Secondly, why do you think I don't mention his good points. I thought I mentioned that he has a very good-looking daughter.

Explain to me why it is not double dipping unless he doesn't charge us for his stay at his own place. If he charges us for his stay at his own place, isn't that the very definition of double dipping?
It's really only an ethical issue if the Secret Service is paying more than the property would otherwise earn if they weren't there. For example, Biden rented a guest house to the SS after his normal renters moved out. They paid the fair market value of what Biden would have earned had he rented it to someone else. Not an issue.

Obviously, Trump's large properties are more complicated than a guest house, but in theory the same should hold. If the SS is taking space that would otherwise be paid for by someone else, there is nothing wrong with SS paying fair value. If, on the other hand, they are taking space that would otherwise remain empty, I would argue that the ethical thing would be for SS to only pay enough to cover expenses.

It's really only an ethical issue if the Secret Service is paying more than the property would otherwise earn if they weren't there. For example, Biden rented a guest house to the SS after his normal renters moved out. They paid the fair market value of what Biden would have earned had he rented it to someone else. Not an issue.

Obviously, Trump's large properties are more complicated than a guest house, but in theory the same should hold. If the SS is taking space that would otherwise be paid for by someone else, there is nothing wrong with SS paying fair value. If, on the other hand, they are taking space that would otherwise remain empty, I would argue that the ethical thing would be for SS to only pay enough to cover expenses.

If past is prologue....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT