ADVERTISEMENT

Did the BTT hurt NCAA chances?

elijawon

Junior
May 20, 2009
20 years prior to BTT , the B10 won 4 NCAA championships. 20 years with BTT, only 1 NCAA championship. Any correlation? Is this just another money grab? I remember several B10 coaches at the time against it.

honestly I'm sick of the auto-bids for conf tourney champions. I hear all this crap about NET ratings and RPI and Saragin and quad wins, and all these damn analytics and spreadsheet gurus....but then we give auto-bids to teams -occasionally with a losing records for the season - simply because they got hot (and lucky) for a weekend and won the Sisters of the Poor Conference championship.

IU is obviously in a vulnerable position this year but I've never liked the auto-bid. Regular season conf champions deserves the auto-bid more, especially in the non P5 conferences.

20 years prior to BTT , the B10 won 4 NCAA championships. 20 years with BTT, only 1 NCAA championship. Any correlation? Is this just another money grab? I remember several B10 coaches at the time against it.
Answer to your second question: yes.

But not entirely. Part of the motivation was a desire to pump some much needed money into the municipal economies of Chi and Indy, so there *is* niceness to it, as well.

honestly I'm sick of the auto-bids for conf tourney champions. I hear all this crap about NET ratings and RPI and Saragin and quad wins, and all these damn analytics and spreadsheet gurus....but then we give auto-bids to teams -occasionally with a losing records for the season - simply because they got hot (and lucky) for a weekend and won the Sisters of the Poor Conference championship.

IU is obviously in a vulnerable position this year but I've never liked the auto-bid. Regular season conf champions deserves the auto-bid more, especially in the non P5 conferences.
Sucks for the small conf too. They win Reg season then have one bad night in conf tourney and no bid. In small conferences the Reg season champ should get the bid not the conf tourney winner.

Ehhh I disagree. It all helps with the madness and makes those small sister of the poor colleges play for something in their tourneys. If you are 9-11 in your conference and have a chance to miss the tourney that’s no fault but your own IMO.

Reactions: Upset Alert
The argument i always make to those against the conference tourneys is that a team may have a star player who is hurt for most of the season, but has returned and making his team much better the final month. So that team is actually much better than its record indicates, and has a chance to show that in its tournament.

Reactions: Upset Alert
If your on the bubble when they take 68 teams then you made your own bed. No sympathy for a upset "stealing a spot".

As for the conference tourney, as a benefit or negative going into the NCAA, if you are set at a comfy seed you can play it as you want, depending on team need ( some rest or some sharpening of details). Only real negative/concern is getting a key injury with the real dance right around the corner.

If your on the bubble when they take 68 teams then you made your own bed. No sympathy for a upset "stealing a spot".

As for the conference tourney, if you are set at a comfy seed you can play it as you want, depending on team need. Only negative is getting a key injury with the real dance right around the corner.
As for the last, just let players who are important sit out the conference tournament. Risk eliminated.

Exactly, if rest is needed, do so, if you are safely secured in a solid seed.
I also don’t blame anybody for sitting out the NCAA tournament. I’m about getting paid and not some bitch ass parade down Tobacco Road or Kirkwood with a trophy that won’t even sit in my rumpus room. MF that noise AND John Dean.

EDIT. Amped AF.

Do your job.

I totally agree, keep it for non-P5, but if you're in a P5 you need to win your conference games and finish .500. I mean, beyond all doubt this is not happening, but if Nebraska or NW got hot, saw the win unfold for them, won out and forced us or a PU out, is that representative of the season, even as bad as ours has been?

I totally agree, keep it for non-P5, but if you're in a P5 you need to win your conference games and finish .500. I mean, beyond all doubt this is not happening, but if Nebraska or NW got hot, saw the win unfold for them, won out and forced us or a PU out, is that representative of the season, even as bad as ours has been?

Nobody forces any conference to play a conference tourney - do so at your own risk. Mostly it is both a money grab for the conferences and an opportunity for the P5 schools to steal an extra spot. They are mostly hoping a bubble team or a "first four out" type of team can get hot and grab a bid.

That said, I don't feel a bit sorry for mid-majors whose best team(s) lose a bid by losing to a bad team in the conference tourney. They made the choice to take that risk.

What I would really love to see (though it will never happen) would be for the selection committee to announce in advance of the conference tourneys the exact number of bids that each conference will receive. If a bad team wins your auto bid via the conference tourney,, your conference loses one of its other teams to that bid. I'm betting that would end a lot of enthusiasm for the conference tourney cash grab.

Nobody forces any conference to play a conference tourney - do so at your own risk. Mostly it is both a money grab for the conferences and an opportunity for the P5 schools to steal an extra spot. They are mostly hoping a bubble team or a "first four out" type of team can get hot and grab a bid.

That said, I don't feel a bit sorry for mid-majors whose best team(s) lose a bid by losing to a bad team in the conference tourney. They made the choice to take that risk.

What I would really love to see (though it will never happen) would be for the selection committee to announce in advance of the conference tourneys the exact number of bids that each conference will receive. If a bad team wins your auto bid via the conference tourney,, your conference loses one of its other teams to that bid. I'm betting that would end a lot of enthusiasm for the conference tourney cash grab.

Totally agree with this. Each conference can set their own rules as to whether or not they have a postseason tournament. I do feel a little bad for the teams that have a great regular season and then falter with one bad game. At least they get an automatic berth in the NIT as a consolation prize, which is better than nothing.

I will say this though. If you think about it, ,whoever wins the conference room is definitely hot at that moment, and just won three or four games in a row. So perhaps they are more primed for an upset in the dance than the regular season champ? At least some of the time ..

Who would the Big10 send as regular season champ this year? With three teams tying at the top and unbalanced schedules, this would become a gigantic headache. I know some would say give it to Wisconsin since they earned the top seed, but does anyone really think they are the best team in the league or will win the BTT? I sure don't on both accounts.

Ehhh I disagree. It all helps with the madness and makes those small sister of the poor colleges play for something in their tourneys. If you are 9-11 in your conference and have a chance to miss the tourney that’s no fault but your own IMO.
maybe....for the first round. Yeah sure, maybe once every twenty yrs an Austin Peay might beat an Illinois. But track how many of the non-P5 conf champs ever make it to the S16 vs at-large P5 teams.

I'm not taking this stance to defend IU's season or chances this year. I am about as ambivalent towards this year's team as I can possibly be. I"ll consider an NIT bid an unsuccessful year....but if they squeak in as an 11 seed and go one-and-out, I don't see that as success either. This entire season now feels like opportunity lost.

Who would the Big10 send as regular season champ this year? With three teams tying at the top and unbalanced schedules, this would become a gigantic headache. I know some would say give it to Wisconsin since they earned the top seed, but does anyone really think they are the best team in the league or will win the BTT? I sure don't on both accounts.
true, I was thinking about that as I typed my original comments...the B1G would most certainly complicate things this year.

Honestly it doesn't really matter....I have a strong suspicion that this year's IU squad will complete their season in the next 7-10 days in less than memorable fashion.

maybe....for the first round. Yeah sure, maybe once every twenty yrs an Austin Peay might beat an Illinois. But track how many of the non-P5 conf champs ever make it to the S16 vs at-large P5 teams.

I'm not taking this stance to defend IU's season or chances this year. I am about as ambivalent towards this year's team as I can possibly be. I"ll consider an NIT bid an unsuccessful year....but if they squeak in as an 11 seed and go one-and-out, I don't see that as success either. This entire season now feels like opportunity lost.

The season isn't over yet tho and we have hope. Really all I wanted this year, just to see the damn name on the bracket again. It is called March Madness for a reason. You telling me Devonte couldn't go torch mode on a UK for one game in the tourney? We can win the first game just playing OK, 7-10 seeds won't be great.

Sucks for the small conf too. They win Reg season then have one bad night in conf tourney and no bid. In small conferences the Reg season champ should get the bid not the conf tourney winner.
yes...those teams get screwed more than anyone. Some teams that deserve to be in, end up in the NIT instead. I suppose there is no perfect scenario...aside from following Vitale's advice from yrs ago....extend the tourney 2-3 more games and let everyone in....

Reactions: mcmurtry66
The season isn't over yet tho and we have hope. Really all I wanted this year, just to see the damn name on the bracket again. It is called March Madness for a reason. You telling me Devonte couldn't go torch mode on a UK for one game in the tourney? We can win the first game just playing OK, 7-10 seeds won't be great.
would love to see something to walk away from the season with, truly believing next year will be the year CAM proves that he's the boss and we're finally on our way. But there is a serious lack of killer instinct in this entire program that was grotesquely exposed vs Wisconsin on Saturday. Seen it several times this year...but Saturday it was painfully obvious. And I have no confidence in Devonte to think he can single handedly extend our season....however I have no doubt believing we could end this season with a bad loss, watching him go 4 of 17 from the field in his final game.

would love to see something to walk away from the season with, truly believing next year will be the year CAM proves that he's the boss and we're finally on our way. But there is a serious lack of killer instinct in this entire program that was grotesquely exposed vs Wisconsin on Saturday. Seen it several times this year...but Saturday it was painfully obvious. And I have no confidence in Devonte to think he can single handedly extend our season....however I have no doubt believing we could end this season with a bad loss, watching him go 4 of 17 from the field in his final game.

Oh I am sure he will go 4-17 in his final game, but if that is in the sweet 16 would you take it? Might go 9-13 in the round of 32! My point is there is still time for us to find something to look forward to. Crazy shit happens in March. Men are born. Shit, TJD is aging a month every time I see him it seems. After he cut his hair he went from boy to man!

Oh I am sure he will go 4-17 in his final game, but if that is in the sweet 16 would you take it? Might go 9-13 in the round of 32! My point is there is still time for us to find something to look forward to. Crazy shit happens in March. Men are born. Shit, TJD is aging a month every time I see him it seems. After he cut his hair he went from boy to man!
yeah sure I'd take S16. That means not only did we get in, but we knocked off a high seed in the second round...maybe even a Duke or an over-hyped Gonzaga? Yeah sure, I could live with that for the summer.

yeah sure I'd take S16. That means not only did we get in, but we knocked off a high seed in the second round...maybe even a Duke or an over-hyped Gonzaga? Yeah sure, I could live with that for the summer.

Gonzaga and KU are the only teams I don't wanna see in round 2. The zags didn't play great last night but they still got the dub against a very hungry team.

It’s ALWAYS a money grab. I notice the acc and sec didn’t play any games this past Sunday perhaps to give them an extra day rest for their own tournaments. SEC football scheds tend to have ‘easy’ teams scheduled about 8 games in almost as though theyre being given a breather before the conference tournaments.
Opinion: the big ten beats up on itself thru the conference season so much theres no gas left in the tank for the ncaa tournament.

It’s ALWAYS a money grab. I notice the acc and sec didn’t play any games this past Sunday perhaps to give them an extra day rest for their own tournaments. SEC football scheds tend to have ‘easy’ teams scheduled about 8 games in almost as though theyre being given a breather before the conference tournaments.
Opinion: the big ten beats up on itself thru the conference season so much theres no gas left in the tank for the ncaa tournament.
re: B1G, most certainly this year. Total meat grinder. Conf champions 3 way tie with 6 losses. That's why no one staying in the top 10-15, everyone kept beating each other. I'm not expecting any B1G teams to be in the F4 this yr.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreeToMakeTwo
IMO, both Regular Season and Conference tourney champs should receive auto bids. The committee should rank their 64 teams before conference tourneys. However many teams over the 64 due to winning auto bids just means extra play in games. I'd assume this would not get out of control as most all of the Regular Season champs would be part of the top 64. Basically why should a bogus conference tournament winner steal a bid?

Reactions: ams66
ADVERTISEMENT