ADVERTISEMENT

Did the bottom fall out?

If you are going to discuss the "biggest stain on the program"...by definition you need to discuss Sampson and his staff.
not saying the Sampson era isn't the worst...just pointing out that FPeaugh's statement that the Crean era is the biggest stain, is total bullshyte and the facts prove it. The damage CTC caused to the "IU brand" pales in comparison to Sampson, or even Miller.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
No problem. He's a handful, and he was a little cranky, but I just showed him who was boss, and he settled down.
I thought I chased you out of here . . . again. We’re all out of cotton candy, sonny. Wander back home. Covid has turned you into even more of a latch key kid.

not saying the Sampson era isn't the worst...just pointing out that FPeaugh's statement that the Crean era is the biggest stain, is total bullshyte and the facts prove it. The damage CTC caused to the "IU brand" pales in comparison to Sampson, or even Miller.
He just posts crap to get a reaction.

I can deal with that...everyone does, hell I get my facts wrong sometimes as the cumulative effect of time, stress and booze adds up. But the way he fashions himself on this board as some kind of all-knowing prophet is weird. Like a kid who didn't get enough lovin' from his mother.
He isn't the only one. Helps fill some personal gaps I suppose.

I can deal with that...everyone does, hell I get my facts wrong sometimes as the cumulative effect of time, stress and booze adds up. But the way he fashions himself on this board as some kind of all-knowing prophet is weird. Like a kid who didn't get enough lovin' from his mother.
It’s strange. I’ve caught a couple of people here who have just made stuff up. It’s really strange and easy to expose, but they crave attention, so you just have to dismiss them. Most, including this particular poster, aren’t IU grads or fans anyway.

Is he worse on weekends? Obviously, he's not getting the proper nap time/play time ratio if he is grouchier. Most children require consistency, or their whole day can be messed up.
This is an IU basketball board. You obviously have no purpose here. Run along like a good boy. No sense getting chased out again.

Yeah FPeaugh is an assclown. I'm no fan of CTC, he's a snake oil peddler, twitchy spaz who wasn't the right long-term guy at IU. Everyone can agree on that. However, as a logic/math guy, let's review a few facts (this is gonna be painful for those who hate being bludgeoned with logic):

CTC accomplishments at IU:
  • THREE x S16s (2012/2013/2016)
  • #1 ranking 2012-2013 season
  • #1, #4, #5 seeding in NCAA tourneys
  • 4 NCAA tourney bids
  • three 27+ win seasons
  • B1G COY 2016

Archie accomplishments at IU:
  • 12 of 13
  • Indiana State
  • IPFW

Sorry, Crean is NOT the biggest stain on IU's bball program. CAM literally accomplished NOTHING all the way to the bank, and got rich doing so.

And I'm not even touching what Sampson did to the program.
FIFY 😁

Reactions: medred
Crean is the biggest stain on the IU program? Okay. I guess I just dreamed the Sampson years.
Sampson was the best coach we’ve had in the last 25 years. He had us in the top 10 in his second year. Everything that followed was a result of IU self imposing and being weak.

Do you think recruits since then have thought I’m not going to IU because of that big bad Kelvin Sampson monster? Or has it been I’m not going there because they’ve been completely irrelevant my entire life? Get a clue.

Crean is the biggest stain on the IU program? Okay. I guess I just dreamed the Sampson years.

Yeah FPeaugh is an assclown. I'm no fan of CTC, he's a snake oil peddler, twitchy spaz who wasn't the right long-term guy at IU. Everyone can agree on that. However, as a logic/math guy, let's review a few facts (this is gonna be painful for those who hate being bludgeoned with logic):

CTC accomplishments at IU:
  • 2 x S16s
  • #1 ranking 2012-2013 season
  • #1, #4, #5 seeding in NCAA tourneys
  • 4 NCAA tourney bids
  • three 27+ win seasons
  • B1G COY 2016

Archie accomplishments at IU:

Sorry, Crean is NOT the biggest stain on IU's bball program. CAM literally accomplished NOTHING all the way to the bank, and got rich doing so.

And I'm not even touching what Sampson did to the program.

FIFY 😁
Tom Crean was not the stain. He was getting paid unbelievable money to do a job he wasn’t qualified for. Checks cashed though. And yes, he was far better than Archie.

The stain is how our fan base treated Crean. It’s ironic that I’m replying to you three as you were some of his most loyal cult followers. You would’ve joined thousands of other IU fans who sold their possessions and followed Crean into the wilderness if he would’ve asked. I’ve never seen a fan base so obsessed with a coach as IU fans were for Crean.

That is the stain that won’t go away. Crean is just a distant memory. The ignorance of the fan base with Crean then Archie will linger.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Knight had suporters and a relationship with the alumni and community.

I am not so sure Miller as much as had a relationship with the players.
I’m not even sure Miller ever established a relationship with himself while here. That was mean of me. I think he stepped into a bad situation for a man of his personality. Oddly, I don’t think we’ve ever heard one comment from any of his players regarding his personality and how he related to players, as coach. The silence of his departure is deafening in wonder.

Tom Crean was not the stain. He was getting paid unbelievable money to do a job he wasn’t qualified for. Checks cashed though. And yes, he was far better than Archie.

The stain is how our fan base treated Crean. It’s ironic that I’m replying to you three as you were some of his most loyal cult followers. You would’ve joined thousands of other IU fans who sold their possessions and followed Crean into the wilderness if he would’ve asked. I’ve never seen a fan base so obsessed with a coach as IU fans were for Crean.

That is the stain that won’t go away. Crean is just a distant memory. The ignorance of the fan base with Crean then Archie will linger.
"most loyal cult followers...". OK assclown, in reference to me specifically, put up or shut up. Evidence, please.
You're way over the tips of your skis.

Billy Donovan.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
I’m not even sure Miller ever established a relationship with himself while here. That was mean of me. I think he stepped into a bad situation for a man of his personality. Oddly, I don’t think we’ve ever heard one comment from any of his players regarding his personality and how he related to players, as coach. The silence of his departure is deafening in wonder.
I hate to step on a man's grave, but aside from Franklin, it's pretty clear that most of the players aren't too distraught over CAM's departure. I won't go as far as to say they "are glad he's gone" because no one is on record saying as much. However...as you said, the silence on the topic does speak volumes.

I hate to step on a man's grave, but aside from Franklin, it's pretty clear that most of the players aren't too distraught over CAM's departure. I won't go as far as to say they "are glad he's gone" because no one is on record saying as much. However...as you said, the silence on the topic does speak volumes.
Not many tearful farewells, were there? Glass obviously locked onto to Miller from the start without getting any kind of feedback as to what kind of personality he had or his profile in the UD community. Too bad for us.

If you are going to discuss the "biggest stain on the program"...by definition you need to discuss Sampson and his staff.
Agree re. Sampson, not even very close. Sampson's antics caused us to settle for Crean
Not many tearful farewells, were there? Glass obviously locked onto to Miller from the start without getting any kind of feedback as to what kind of personality he had or his profile in the UD community. Too bad for us.
How do you know he didn't receive any feedback? From what i understood, he was well thought of from a good portion of the UD fan base. After several years of Crean's goofy personality and coaching tactics, such a bland coach was deemed welcome by many.

Agree re. Sampson, not even very close. Sampson's antics caused us to settle for Crean

How do you know he didn't receive any feedback? From what i understood, he was well thought of from a good portion of the UD fan base. After several years of Crean's goofy personality and coaching tactics, such a bland coach was deemed welcome by many.
Do you think he changed when he arrived at IU, or is it likely that he remained the same kind of personality he always was?

Cult followers? A bit dramatic, don't you think? I wasn't a Crean fan by any means, but at least he didn't blow up the program. If you're looking for ignorance, please proceed to the closest mirror.

"most loyal cult followers...". OK assclown, in reference to me specifically, put up or shut up. Evidence, please.

Billy Donovan.
You will wait forever for any backup for the claims. Feepaw and Ordy are mirror images in that they demand evidence while providing none of their own. Feepaw can respond to this but ordy cannot becuase no one here is/was ordy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
The only thing we know is that a bunch of players entered the portal and all but one withdrew after speaking with Woody.

Is he worse on weekends? Obviously, he's not getting the proper nap time/play time ratio if he is grouchier. Most children require consistency, or their whole day can be messed up.
His schtick is just to keep trolling until he hooks a sucker and then does...what he does.

He googles enough before he posts his non-troll content to try to appear knowledgeable. Sometimes just cuts and pastes.

Mental illness with an inferiority complex larger than his Mom's trailer. You taking another shift tonight?

His schtick is just to keep trolling until he hooks a sucker and then does...what he does.

He googles enough before he posts his non-troll content to try to appear knowledgeable. Sometimes just cuts and pastes.

Mental illness with an inferiority complex larger than his Mom's trailer. You taking another shift tonight?
I don't think so, but I don't feel like explaining to him what it means to have a life...he always gets so sad.
I'll just act like my internet went on the fritz.

I don't think so, but I don't feel like explaining to him what it means to have a life...he always gets so sad.
I'll just act like my internet went on the fritz.
Isn’t that what you did when you were run out of here last time? Covid has been hard for you, huh? Lol.

You're upset with me because I caught you lying. That’s your problem, not mine. Stop ruining threads, Jimmy.

Never did hear how his golf game treated him. Maybe he was more of a cornhole’er. I have no idea what he did outside of AH. Did anyone ever see him coming out of Loews with a bag of mulch on his shoulder? Ever have to get out of his way while rollerblading on the B-Line? Hold the door open for him at Runcible Spoon? Run into him exiting a Speedway bathroom? Carrying groceries out to the car for his wife at Bloomingfoods? Did he drink his martini’s dry at Malibu Grill? Waterski Monroe? Surely there was a sighting or two that can be reported.

Billy Donovan.
Add the evidence for me as well, feepaw.

I've been waiting all afternoon to post this because I wanted to be 100% sure. I got a text this morning about it and admittedly I thought it was a rumor at first. I've been waiting to make sure its 100% before posting.
I can say with 100% confidence that Billy and his wife were in Bloomington this morning.
I don't see any scenario where he and his wife come to town and he doesn't take the job. It's happening!!!

No coach with two national championships, neither vacated, is getting "very average results". That's silly.
McCracken's overall record was a pedestrian 364-173 (65.6%). He did win the NCAA tournament in 1940 and 1953. In his other 22 seasons, he managed all of 2 more NCAA appearances with a combined record of 2-2.

After winning it in '53, he closed out his career ('54-'65) on a sterling 168-112 run (60%), with 2 losing seasons and the aforementioned lackluster (2-2) NCAA record.

It was a slow, painful, near thirty year slog to the bottom. We all got our hopes up for Archie (like maybe he was some kinda young Coach K or something), and then RMK actually shows up and IU drops the game. That was it. How do you lose that game?!?!

IU has a losing streak to Purdue that is near historic levels, I think it’s the worst since the 30s. To me, that’s the bottom falling out and then finding a new bottom. Over and over. Davis/Sampson/Crean, they all flirted with considerable success (and for some reason people disregard Crean’s two BTTs, but seems like rather lofty success after Archie). And those coaches proved there is potential. The sleeping giant can kick you in its sleep.

But Archie-ball? Man, that is the bottom. That crap was unwatchable. He brought IU to the worst thing I can imagine... total irrelevance.

Let’s all hope to God that Woodson can lift and stabilize this thing. It’s become almost impossible to imagine a revival.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cavanagh.13
It was a slow, painful, near thirty year slog to the bottom. We all got our hopes up for Archie (like maybe he was some kinda young Coach K or something), and then RMK actually shows up and IU drops the game. That was it. How do you lose that game?!?!

IU has a losing streak to Purdue that is near historic levels, I think it’s the worst since the 30s. To me, that’s the bottom falling out and then finding a new bottom. Over and over. Davis/Sampson/Crean, they all flirted with considerable success (and for some reason people disregard Crean’s two BTTs, but seems like rather lofty success after Archie). And those coaches proved there is potential. The sleeping giant can kick you in its sleep.

But Archie-ball? Man, that is the bottom. That crap was unwatchable. He brought IU to the worst thing I can imagine... total irrelevance.

Let’s all hope to God that Woodson can lift and stabilize this thing. It’s become almost impossible to imagine a revival.

Ya We hit rock bottom on march 12th https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/threads/rock-bottom.208126/#post-3147906.

Archie was the worst and will go down in history as such. Just will take a few years for the feeling to be unanimous.

I recognized early on that Archie lacked an exuberant personality, but rationalized it as being okay because Coach K at Duke seemed to lack one, too. My thought process proved weak...nothing new here.

How does Archie lose the Bob Knight return game? The answer lies in Archie losing his season opening debut game to Indiana State by blowout proportions.

The thing about Woodson is, once you look past the hope he brings with him, you see that we could be wrong on him, too, and he’s not even considered a “can’t miss” as many overly enthusiastic, optimistic zealots were heard spouting when Sir Archie was first hired.

Our futility against Purdue may still be a long way from being over. Beating them at AH once in the next six or so tries doesn’t elevate IU basketball to revival status. What are we going to do when we finally do squeak out a victory, skinny dip in Showalter Fountain for all to see like we suddenly own “little brother” of Cow College? Curses are curses because they take a long time to overcome, if one can even become undone. You’d think I’d be a little more upbeat after two cups of coffee on a sunny, Saturday morning in May with birds singing. We’ll see what the rest of the day brings.

Billy Donovan.
We all remember. I’m not going back years. You told us just last year that we’d finish top 5 in BIG and get a top 6 seed. You’re not very good at predictions.

ADVERTISEMENT