ADVERTISEMENT

Did the bottom fall out?

The cover up is always worse than the actual crime.
For once (or twice) in his long career, he looked somewhat evasive and was definitely on his heels. He compounded that by underestimating Brand’s resolve to take action, he further compounded it by basically endorsing Zero Tolerance after Brand got blasted by the media for looking weak, and then he went in the ditch when he sensed he’d forfeited much of his considerable leverage and influence. When it became clear he’d lost some of his control, he was pretty much done. At that point, it was a matter of how and when, not if.

Obviously then, you were one of Hoosier Nation escalating the anti-Knight sentiment I referred to.
The local anti-Knight sentiment was at that point still from a small group of fans and detractors (who had always been around). Remember that Knight was adamant that there was nothing to see in the grainy tape. NR had not objected at the time either and he was a pretty stand up kid.

The volume of the anti-Knight crowd grew more than the numbers did. BK always had detractors...mostly from fans of programs that he has wasted over the years plus Purdue alumni who he had not wasted head to head but had left in the dust from a recruiting and program sucess standpoint.

No winners came out of the process, but it did clean out a lot of the Knight-o-philes.

Reactions: Please Be Kind
Brand doesn't deserve all the blame. RMK had some recruiting classes that were busts. In '93 he brought in Sherron, Steve Hart, Richard Mandeville, Robbie Eggers, and Rob Foster. Each contributed little to nothing. Patterson and Charlie Miller came the next year, but so too did Neil Reed and Michael Hermon. Those recruiting mistakes really burned IU into the late 90s.
Although the Patterson, Miller, Reed, etc. class did not turn out as well as expected, they were a top 5 if not the #1 recruited class nationally that year. Not regarded at the time as a recruiting mistake.

Although the Patterson, Miller, Reed, etc. class did not turn out as well as expected, they were a top 5 if not the #1 recruited class nationally that year. Not regarded at the time as a recruiting mistake.
That just shows how fallible recruiting services can be. Several of those kids were poor fits, while others lacked upside. Even then, it was clear that recruiting was starting to narrow.

Knight initially denied anything ever occurred, then denied there was tape of it, then told everyone that everything at practice was always taped. To say his messaging was inconsistent would be extremely generous.
Right... I'm not evaluating blame... I just agree that this situation seemed to start the decline of IU in the media, etc...

Every once in a while I suspect you actually believe the nonsense you post.
If you would’ve listened more during the Crean era you wouldn’t have made the same mistakes with Archie. Help was here, you just didn’t take it.

Soon after Crean's exit, FPeaugh stated that his very reliable, deep sources had confirmed Billy was in Btown with his wife, looking at real estate. The deal is done. Donovan is the new IU coach. "IT'S Happening!!!"

4 yrs later and he still refuses to fall on his sword for it. He ignores it every time I bring it up. So I keep bringing it up, just to remind him why he's not viewed to be as high and mighty around here as he likes to fancy himself.

What is the Billy Donovan reference I keep seeing?

Last edited:
Soon after Crean's exit, he stated that his very reliable, deep sources had confirmed Billy was in Btown with his wife, looking at real estate. The deal is done. Donovan is the new IU coach. "IT'S Happening!!!"

4 yrs later and he still refuses to fall on his sword for it. He ignores it every time I bring it up. So I keep bringing it up, just to remind him why he's not viewed to be as high and mighty around here as he likes to fancy himself.
Pssst...Ordy know. He's just acting like he doesn't as part of his disguise.

Soon after Crean's exit, FPeaugh stated that his very reliable, deep sources had confirmed Billy was in Btown with his wife, looking at real estate. The deal is done. Donovan is the new IU coach. "IT'S Happening!!!"

Billy Donovan was leaving the NBA for IU? Makes sense if he could pass the physical.

Reactions: Lucy01
Pssst...Ordy know. He's just acting like he doesn't as part of his disguise.
I thought you ran out of here in tears a long time ago, only to take regular beatings on the Cooler? Probably a good idea that you remember why you left, don’t you think? Lol

I thought you ran out of here in tears a long time ago, only to take regular beatings on the Cooler? Probably a good idea that you remember why you left, don’t you think? Lol
Nah, got bored of you. While you haven't really matured much, it's good to see you have finally owned your Ordfan origins, at least.

If you would’ve listened more during the Crean era you wouldn’t have made the same mistakes with Archie. Help was here, you just didn’t take it.
Case in point:

So...do you believe the bullshit you posted here?

Nah, got bored of you. While you haven't really matured much, it's good to see you have finally owned your Ordfan origins, at least.
Nope: he still denies it...all while sobbingly responding to every single Orfan mention regardless where it comes from.

He was still landing huge recruits into the late 90s and even on his way out (Jared Jeffries).

I wasn't on Peegs yet, but I remember thinking the Collier transfer was the beginning of the end and then the Recker transfer sealed it.

Nah, those aren’t my origins, but you’re still the same broken record. No substance, all ankle biting. You were easy to dismiss as hopelessly inconsequential. I see from a quick run through the Cooler that you’re similarly regarded there, too.

Nah, those aren’t my origins, but you’re still the same broken record. No substance, all ankle biting. You were easy to dismiss as hopelessly inconsequential. I see from a quick run through the Cooler that you’re similarly regarded there, too.
I'm flattered that you are stalking me, even though I was so easily dismissed. You even started your post with the same word I did.
I'm betting you won't be able to ignore this post either, stalker. Time will tell.

I'm flattered that you are stalking me, even though I was so easily dismissed. You even started your post with the same word I did.
I'm betting you won't be able to ignore this post either, stalker. Time will tell.
Sorry, you dropped into a thread and, true to form, have added nothing of substance while stalking me. That’s why you were originally chased off this forum, and you were wise then to move along. Try to remember that sobering lesson and take yourself back to the Cooler, where you can continue to annoy them with your nonsense.

Sorry, you dropped into a thread and, true to form, have added nothing of substance while stalking me. That’s why you were originally chased off this forum, and you were wise then to move along. Try to remember that sobering lesson and take yourself back to the Cooler, where you can continue to annoy them with your nonsense.
Dance, little puppet. 😄

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
As usual, not one substantive contribution from you. Ever. Would think being known for inanity would get old for you (hurry, look that up).
Whatever you say, Pinocchio.

$_84.JPG

Now, respond again.
You know you won't be able to resist. The only question is how long will you be able to hold out? (7:20 PM)

Whatever you say, Pinocchio.

$_84.JPG

Now, respond again.
You know you won't be able to resist. The only question is how long will you be able to hold out? (7:20 PM)
You really are lacking in attention, aren’t you? Covid blues got you down, little fella? You’ll be back to school soon.

Some things are absolutes in life: death, taxes, Ordy’s signature prose and stupidity. He’s a legend in his own mind - ask him.
Back to keep telling us how great of a coach Miller is? By the way, how come none of you link any of your exchanges with Ordy? Shouldn't be hard if he actually exists.

To be fair, myself and a couple others have been telling people this and trying to educate them for the better part of 20 years. But no one would listen.

The bottom fell out in the Crean years. The IU fan base was nothing short of a full on cult for Tom Crean. I’m talking move to the mountains, give the guy your money, and let him have your wife type of cult. It will forever be the biggest stain on our program.

Crean should’ve been fired after year 3. Spare me the excuses. I said it then and was called a troll, UK fan, Purdue fan, whatever. He set us on this course and most IU fans were taken for a ride.
Crean is the biggest stain on the IU program? Okay. I guess I just dreamed the Sampson years.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Sergio was ready to commit but Marcus, who ended up at JC anyway, wouldn’t play for Knight, and it was well known that he wasn’t on board with it. But Sergio wanted to go IU. Frankie Williams would’ve followed them, too. A very expected outcome, but one that still disappointed BK.
IIRC, McClain’s dad was hired by Lou Henson as an assistant. That’s what really blew up the Sergio, Griffin duo to IU. IMO, that’s when Knight got jaded on the cheating in recruiting, and he and Henson became coaching enemies. McClain Sr was a Knight fan, but couldn’t help himself in taking the Lou Doo offer of a B1G assistant job, with cash for the two kids.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
IIRC, McClain’s dad was hired by Lou Henson as an assistant. That’s what really blew up the Sergio, Griffin duo to IU. IMO, that’s when Knight got jaded on the cheating in recruiting, and he and Henson became coaching enemies. McClain Sr was a Knight fan, but couldn’t help himself in taking the Lou Doo offer of a B1G assistant job, with cash for the two kids.
As I said above, a lot of eyebrows were raised when this all went down.

BUT

LouDo was long gone by this time and Kruger brought in Sergio last minute. Wayne was not hired by Kruger until 2001 or 2002.

Reactions: Morrison
He wasn’t hired until well after the commitment, and the coach was Lon Kruger, not Henson. Hiring Wayne wasn’t the issue. The issue was Marcus Griffin.

Reactions: Morrison

Crean is the biggest stain on the IU program? Okay. I guess I just dreamed the Sampson years.
Yeah FPeaugh is an assclown. I'm no fan of CTC, he's a snake oil peddler, twitchy spaz who wasn't the right long-term guy at IU. Everyone can agree on that. However, as a logic/math guy, let's review a few facts (this is gonna be painful for those who hate being bludgeoned with logic):

CTC accomplishments at IU:
  • 2 x S16s
  • #1 ranking 2012-2013 season
  • #1, #4, #5 seeding in NCAA tourneys
  • 4 NCAA tourney bids
  • three 27+ win seasons
  • B1G COY 2016

Archie accomplishments at IU:

Sorry, Crean is NOT the biggest stain on IU's bball program. CAM literally accomplished NOTHING all the way to the bank, and got rich doing so.

And I'm not even touching what Sampson did to the program.

I wonder how the donations for the Library Fund are coming along since our HOF coach was so unceremoniously dismissed. At least Bob Knight had the balls to come back to address the student body with encouraging words of wisdom at his publicized Farewell Address To The Students in Dunn Meadow. Miller left without even a muffled whimper.

Reactions: Tony Warwick
I wonder how the donations for the Library Fund are coming along since our HOF coach was so unceremoniously dismissed. At least Bob Knight had the balls to come back to address the student body with encouraging words of wisdom at his publicized Farewell Address To The Students in Dunn Meadow. Miller left without even a muffled whimper.
Knight had suporters and a relationship with the alumni and community.

I am not so sure Miller as much as had a relationship with the players.

ADVERTISEMENT