ADVERTISEMENT

Did IU consider Chris Mack ...

... before they hired Archie? Mack is getting it done at UL.
Some people claim he turned IU down. I cant see that happening and then take a job like what UL just went thru. I kind of liked Mack and honestly thought we couldnt go wrong with him, Archie, or Holtman. It sure looks like Mack was the home run hire so far.

I said upperclassmen.

Who is top 150, that's not a freshman?

Davis
Smith
Morgan

Who else?

Louisville doesn't play a single freshman. Only have one on their roster, who's never seen the floor this season
Green was and we cant romeo count? He was top 10.
I said upperclassmen.

Who is top 150, that's not a freshman?

Davis
Smith
Morgan

Who else?

Louisville doesn't play a single freshman. Only have one on their roster, who's never seen the floor this season

Why cant romeo be counted. He was top ten? Thats crazy. Clinton moore was ranked #126 on rivals. So that is 5.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Green was and we cant romeo count? He was top 10.

Why cant romeo be counted. He was top ten? Thats crazy. Clinton moore was ranked #126 on rivals. So that is 5.

Green was +200.

Counted for what? I made a statement, you responded to it....

My point is only comparing the two starting points for Mack to Archie. He's taking over a program led by a HOF coach for a long period. It's closer to Mike Davis in 2000 than Miller in 2017.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Green was +200.

Counted for what? I made a statement, you responded to it....

My point is only comparing the two starting points for Mack to Archie. He's taking over a program led by a HOF coach for a long period. It's closer to Mike Davis in 2000 than Miller in 2017.
Im not looking for an argument. Im just saying we dont lack talent. At least not enough to tank like we have been.

No, at the time of the hire, Glass stated that Archie was the only candidate interviewed or considered.

Well.....Fred is a bit of a PR guy, so he was going to hype up the hire as much as he could. It’s a way of reaffirming what you are selling the fans. The old “we went after our guy and got him. We achieved our objective!”

He could have talked to 6 guys for all we know.

No, at the time of the hire, Glass stated that Archie was the only candidate interviewed or considered.

As BRCB stated, what is said at a press conference can not be taken at face value.

If Archie was the third coach contacted, would you expect FG to say, "Hey, we couldn't sign our first two choices but we got #3."?!

That's what I remember too, and to me what FG should be fired for if true. To not at least interview Mack, Holtmann, Will Wade from LSU, Mike White from FL and place calls to Stevens, Donovan, etc... is incompetence at it's finest.

As BRCB stated, what is said at a press conference can not be taken at face value.

If Archie was the third coach contacted, would you expect FG to say, "Hey, we couldn't sign our first two choices but we got #3."?!

No, I'd expect him to say we conducted a thorough search, talking with several outstanding candidates and we got the guy who was the best fit for IU. I'd expect him to say that, because that's what should have been done, but I don't think it was.

... before they hired Archie? Mack is getting it done at UL.
You guys are JACKASSES.

When IU was looking for a coach in 2017, here was Mack's record his 5 previous seasons:

24-14, 7th in conference
28-6, 2nd in conference
23-14, 6th in conference
21-13, 3rd in conference
17-14, 6th in conference

He had an improbable run to the Elite 8 that was nice, but otherwise VERY mediocre.

If we had hired Chris Mack instead of Archie Miller, the usual suspects on this forum would have LOST THEIR MIND.

UofL may be a dumpster fire, but Mack walked into more talent than Archie. That's just a fact. The fact that UofL can have a title stripped and all of those issues and STILL have more talent than IU is a Crean issue, not Archie.

Mack then proceeded to get his ass kicked by Archie in a head to head game.

You know what? Mack may end up being a better hire than Archie....who the hell really knows yet? But to act like he would have been a better hire at the time is ludicrous.

No, I'd expect him to say we conducted a thorough search, talking with several outstanding candidates and we got the guy who was the best fit for IU. I'd expect him to say that, because that's what should have been done, but I don't think it was.
Not much different than handing the top football job to an assistant coach without doing a national search.

You guys are JACKASSES.

When IU was looking for a coach in 2017, here was Mack's record his 5 previous seasons:

24-14, 7th in conference
28-6, 2nd in conference
23-14, 6th in conference
21-13, 3rd in conference
17-14, 6th in conference

He had an improbable run to the Elite 8 that was nice, but otherwise VERY mediocre.

If we had hired Chris Mack instead of Archie Miller, the usual suspects on this forum would have LOST THEIR MIND.

UofL may be a dumpster fire, but Mack walked into more talent than Archie. That's just a fact. The fact that UofL can have a title stripped and all of those issues and STILL have more talent than IU is a Crean issue, not Archie.

You know what? Mack may end up being a better hire than Archie....who the hell really knows yet? But to act like he would have been a better hire at the time is ludicrous.

Not much different than handing the top football job to an assistant coach without doing a national search.

Big difference: IU is a bball school and has cache' in bball.

But I agree, how both job "searches" were handled displays an incredible amount of incompetence.

Last edited:
You guys are JACKASSES.

24-14, 7th in conference
28-6, 2nd in conference
23-14, 6th in conference
21-13, 3rd in conference
17-14, 6th in conference

Yea he did that in the freaking BIG EAST any athletic director with half a brain would know that that record is more impressive than Archies. Thanks for playing.

Macks last 5 year IN A REAL CONFERENCE he finished 3rd, 6th, 2nd, 7th and 1st. The 7th is when Sumner got injured. To compare Mack to Archie is foolish. Mack is superior.

You guys are JACKASSES.

24-14, 7th in conference
28-6, 2nd in conference
23-14, 6th in conference
21-13, 3rd in conference
17-14, 6th in conference

Awful comparison. Dumb

Archie Winning % at Dayton in the pathetic Atlantic 10 was .688
Mack in a real conference the Big East (2013-2018) .689

Yea real fair comparison.

I’m not sure why some are tearing down Mack. His numbers are what they are. He took Xavier to the NCAA tourney 8 out of his 9 years. 4 Sweet Sixteens. 1 Elite 8. He was a great hire for Louisville especially considering the position Louisville was in after Pitino and Jurich being removed.

He has pieced together a very good season thus far with only one player player who is likely All Conference. Then he has amassed several transfers to be key cogs to UofL’s success.

I think the nature of some posters is in large part negativity. Another example is not wanting Kyle Guy at IU because of his hair style. SMH How about the fact the kid is a gamer and can shoot lights out.

I’m still hoping for the best with Miller and believe he deserves a chance to stock the team with his recruits and coach them.

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT