ADVERTISEMENT

Did I miss the Khashoggi thread ?

I know I don't post much, but I lurk a little. A WAPO journalist appears to be lured back to Turkey, only to be killed, maybe cut up, and flown out in pieces. The president seems cool with it. You know...enemy of the people...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...khashoggi-where-is-he/?utm_term=.e4b8c151256f
Of course the president should be able to fix everything in the world, Wasnt a US Citizen but oh wait this OK otherwise, why are we sticking our nose in to it? He was a contributor to a newspaper . Wait there is a hurricane why isnt Trump on the ground in the eye of it? Why did Obama sit on his ass and do nothing about anything for 8 years ? We don't like to ask that question do we?

Reactions: td75
You must have missed the enemy of the people stuff...and he gave a campaign speech the night the hurricane hit...

The Turks say they have audio and video of the murder. But we appear to not be interested?
I guess too busy making policy with Kanye.

Reactions: DrHoops
I know I don't post much, but I lurk a little. A WAPO journalist appears to be lured back to Turkey, only to be killed, maybe cut up, and flown out in pieces. The president seems cool with it. You know...enemy of the people...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...khashoggi-where-is-he/?utm_term=.e4b8c151256f
Another day, another murderous dictator. Someday I'll be telling my kids about a time when America used to object to that sort of thing. They'll laugh back at me, via Skype, from their homes in other parts of the world.

Just like bacteria is building a a stronger shell to protect itself against antibiotics, GOPers are covered in fact repellent armor.

You can post that a million times and it will never penetrate. They’re still blurting out the “Al Gore said he invented the Internet” line from 20 years ago.
I don't know why I bother, but this stupid issue perfectly crystallizes what's wrong with the #NewGOP.

When the Benghazi attacks occurred, I had no idea what motivated the attackers. How would I? But lots of Republicans "knew" what didn't motivate the attacks. They "knew" the video wasn't a motivation. This was so obvious to them that they called Hillary a liar for describing the attacks as a response to the video. They couldn't possibly know this, but still they "knew" it -- in the same way they "know" lots of other things that aren't true.

I'll leave it to sociologists and psychiatrists to explain why this continues to be a fixation of some Republicans, but in fact the video was a prime motivator, according to people who observed and even participated in the attacks. The guy who led the attacks said they were a response to the video. But these are mere facts and thus do not matter to the #NewGOP. The #NewGOP knows what it "knows", and it can't and won't know anything else.

Reactions: MaxCoke and DrHoops
I don't know why I bother, but this stupid issue perfectly crystallizes what's wrong with the #NewGOP.

When the Benghazi attacks occurred, I had no idea what motivated the attackers. How would I? But lots of Republicans "knew" what didn't motivate the attacks. They "knew" the video wasn't a motivation. This was so obvious to them that they called Hillary a liar for describing the attacks as a response to the video. They couldn't possibly know this, but still they "knew" it -- in the same way they "know" lots of other things that aren't true.

I'll leave it to sociologists and psychiatrists to explain why this continues to be a fixation of some Republicans, but in fact the video was a prime motivator, according to people who observed and even participated in the attacks. The guy who led the attacks said they were a response to the video. But these are mere facts and thus do not matter to the #NewGOP. The #NewGOP knows what it "knows", and it can't and won't know anything else.

Good grief. You just don't get it do you. The fact that the dumbass obscure cartoon video DID cause an arson attack on our diplomatic facility, and a heavy mortar attack on another facility is the problem. Hint: That kind of terrorist attack is not JUST about a video. The group hug given to the Muslim Brotherhood, the planeloads of cash delivered to purveyors of terrorism, and the stupid language tricks about terrorism from and by the prior administration was simply dishonest and wrong headed.

Just like bacteria is building a a stronger shell to protect itself against antibiotics, GOPers are covered in fact repellent armor.

You can post that a million times and it will never penetrate. They’re still blurting out the “Al Gore said he invented the Internet” line from 20 years ago.

Bingo! This is exactly why the lefties on this board are so trollable as they constantly complain about trolls, triggers and brag about using the "ignore" button. The right takes your crap in stride. The left needs safe spaces.

Reactions: herrli and stollcpa
Another day, another murderous dictator. Someday I'll be telling my kids about a time when America used to object to that sort of thing. They'll laugh back at me, via Skype, from their homes in other parts of the world.

Maybe not best on my little island here. Trump's EPA will add to the rising sea levels soon.

I don't tread water well.

Help!
nervous.gif
nervous.gif
nervous.gif

Good grief. You just don't get it do you. The fact that the dumbass obscure cartoon video DID cause an arson attack on our diplomatic facility, and a heavy mortar attack on another facility is the problem. Hint: That kind of terrorist attack is not JUST about a video. The group hug given to the Muslim Brotherhood, the planeloads of cash delivered to purveyors of terrorism, and the stupid language tricks about terrorism from and by the prior administration was simply dishonest and wrong headed.
Well, that's quite a pile of bullshit you've got there.

You were among the most prominent ridiculers of the notion that the video motivated the attacks. Apparently as a result of some epiphany, I guess it's now your view that the video really did motivate the attacks, and this establishes [something]. But if so, it was you and your fellow Republicans who just didn't get it. Because you persistently spouted the very bullshit I've called out. Now you're spouting this new bullshit. It's almost as though you have no point at all.

Also, your fact free snark made little sense when you posted it, but it makes even less sense now that you seem to acknowledge that the video did motivate the attacks.

Nothing to see here. The Saudis were pissed off about an internet video. The DOJ is going to arrest the producer of the video.

Next case.
What point -- comedically or otherwise -- is this vacuous snark intended to make in light of your epiphany? Obviously it was intended to mean something, and you and stoll act like you know what it is. Maybe you can explain that.

Reactions: MaxCoke
Well, that's quite a pile of bullshit you've got there.

You were among the most prominent ridiculers of the notion that the video motivated the attacks. Apparently as a result of some epiphany, I guess it's now your view that the video really did motivate the attacks, and this establishes [something]. But if so, it was you and your fellow Republicans who just didn't get it. Because you persistently spouted the very bullshit I've called out. Now you're spouting this new bullshit. It's almost as though you have no point at all.

Also, your fact free snark made little sense when you posted it, but it makes even less sense now that you seem to acknowledge that the video did motivate the attacks.

Nothing to see here. The Saudis were pissed off about an internet video. The DOJ is going to arrest the producer of the video.

Next case.
What point -- comedically or otherwise -- is this vacuous snark intended to make in light of your epiphany? Obviously it was intended to mean something, and you and stoll act like you know what it is. Maybe you can explain that.

You don’t know much about causal apportionment do you.

This has exposed the global elite for exactly what they are. Fradulent, immoral, despicable folk. Thousands of innocent children murdered in the ongoing genocide in Yemen. Barely a peep from the political establishment, media, financial elite, etc. They don't give a ****ing shit about those kids. Money pouring in to Saudi by the boatload, accepting Saudi investment. Favorable and biased reporting. One of their fellow elite pigs is slaughtered and suddenly they are outraged. One life to that group is worth more than 10,000 peons. The American public is not even informed of the mess that we are responsible for in Yemen.

When was this time exactly? That is not snark, we have a long history, both Democrat and Republican administrations, in supporting really bad people when it was in our geopolitical interests to do so. This is particularly true in the Mideast.

I am not really a fan of Trump's "eh...whatever, we gotta sell these guys some guns" response. However, this would have been difficult for anyone in the oval office. You are talking a complete shakeup of decades of geopolitical posture if we cut the Saudis out.

When Turkey says they have clear evidence that Khashoggi was murdered they aren't kidding. Apparently Khashoggi wore an Apple watch and it was set on record so the entire brutal murder was recorded and uplifted to his iphone. This one's going to be hard to ignore for the Trump administration as they had agreed to an sell over 100 billion dollars worth of arms to the Saudi's and they don't appear to be very good people.

tumblr_nbc4b6yB691tybfhmo5_250.gif

This one's going to be hard to ignore for the Trump administration as they had agreed to an sell over 100 billion dollars worth of arms to the Saudi's and they don't appear to be very good people.
They're already talking about it being between the Saudis and Turkey, that he was a Saudi citizen (no matter that he was a US permanent resident), and it's none of our business. No way they'll scuttle the arms sale over one raghead getting killed by his own government. Business is business.

They're already talking about it being between the Saudis and Turkey, that he was a Saudi citizen (no matter that he was a US permanent resident), and it's none of our business. No way they'll scuttle the arms sale over one raghead getting killed by his own government. Business is business.

I don't believe he was a permanent resident. It sounded like he was applying for permanent residency. Hard to make that case imo, when you are purchasing a house to live in Istanbul with your Turkish fiancee. Why are we providing consular services to the family of a non-US citizen? It's entirely Turkey's responsibility. Let the Washington Post pay for private investigators. This is an absolute joke of US taxpayer resources. The relationship with the Saudis should be severed for a variety of reasons. Why is this a red line? What's happening in Yemen is infinity times worse.

When Turkey says they have clear evidence that Khashoggi was murdered they aren't kidding. Apparently Khashoggi wore an Apple watch and it was set on record so the entire brutal murder was recorded and uplifted to his iphone. This one's going to be hard to ignore for the Trump administration as they had agreed to an sell over 100 billion dollars worth of arms to the Saudi's and they don't appear to be very good people.

We knew they aren't good people. Our political and economic elite don't care about that. They only care about two things. Money and power. The image of MBS the reformer has been shattered so they crawl into their predictable holes. The elite are a bunch of despicable jerks, starting with Thomas Friedman.

No coverage of the ongoing genocide in Yemen, zero. But one sap is groundbreaking news?

I don't believe he was a permanent resident. It sounded like he was applying for permanent residency. Hard to make that case imo, when you are purchasing a house to live in Istanbul with your Turkish fiancee. Why are we providing consular services to the family of a non-US citizen? It's entirely Turkey's responsibility. Let the Washington Post pay for private investigators. This is an absolute joke of US taxpayer resources. The relationship with the Saudis should be severed for a variety of reasons. Why is this a red line? What's happening in Yemen is infinity times worse.
You're right about Yemen but the assassination of a journalist who works for an American paper (granted it's not one of Trump's favorites) is pretty out there.

You're right about Yemen but the assassination of a journalist who works for an American paper (granted it's not one of Trump's favorites) is pretty out there.

It is. I just find it really ****ed up, sad, and pathetic when this is a red line for some as opposed to the 10s of thousands being slaughtered and the hundreds and thousands starving. Its a terrible indictment of our elite. These people have no moral compass. This does not deserve more coverage than Yemen either. The whole thing is outrageous and infuriating to me.

Maybe not best on my little island here. Trump's EPA will add to the rising sea levels soon.

I don't tread water well.

Help!
nervous.gif
nervous.gif
nervous.gif
Any chance that your rising sea levels, if they even exist, began with the previous Presidential administration?

Reactions: herrli
I don't believe he was a permanent resident. It sounded like he was applying for permanent residency.
Then I stand corrected. I thought I had heard otherwise on one of the TV reports, but I very well may have misheard (or they could have been mistaken).

Then I stand corrected. I thought I had heard otherwise on one of the TV reports, but I very well may have misheard (or they could have been mistaken).

It's not your fault. The media is spreading a false narrative. This is the same media that calls anyone with a visa an "immigrant", no matter their visa type!

"Mohamad Soltan, an Egyptian-American activist who sees Khashoggi regularly in Washington, told Reuters that Khashoggi was in the United States on an O-visa, a temporary residency visa awarded to foreigners "who possess extraordinary ability" in the sciences, arts, education, and other fields and are recognized internationally, and had applied for permanent residency status."

Fyi, it's astounding to me that someone with this guy's background is able to get an O visa so easily and quickly. It shows how politicized and unscientific the entire vetting process is. This is a guy who was close to Osama Bin Laden, who previously fought alongside the Afghan Mujahadin! Unbelievable. It appears he was not vetted at all. Meanwhile, my wife is stuck in this ridiculous blackhole and it's obvious to anyone that she is the least possible security threat. It's pure theater. It's a total sham.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/03/saudi-dissident-jamal-khashoggi-worry-after-his-absence-in.html

Last edited:

Finally some hard info confirming earlier rumors. Turkey claims they got the audio from his Apple Watch, which the Saudis were able to unlock (and delete some but not all files) with his fingerprint. Apple denies the Watch comes with this capability.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/12/middleeast/khashoggi-saudi-turkey-recordings-intl/index.html

Obviously, Turkey is inventing a story to cover up the fact they have the Saudi consulate wired.

Finally some hard info confirming earlier rumors. Turkey claims they got the audio from his Apple Watch, which the Saudis were able to unlock (and delete some but not all files) with his fingerprint. Apple denies the Watch comes with this capability.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/12/middleeast/khashoggi-saudi-turkey-recordings-intl/index.html

Obviously, Turkey is inventing a story to cover up the fact they have the Saudi consulate wired.
I should have been a little suspicious of the story I heard on CNN as I would have no idea how to make my Apple Watch accomplish what supposedly occurred although that may be possible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT