ADVERTISEMENT

Did Glass hire Allen to take a step backwards?

In that case it was scheme as they placed d tackles in A gaps and put them in easy blocking rules as guards blocked down on tackle the o tackles went to line backers and read defensive ends the olb on triple option. They should have put them head up or a 3 technique and stacked backers. Forced them to try and trap and would have been 4on 3 in the middle and left guy unblocked and if they tried to run triple the 3 technique would be first read tackles would block down on 3 technique and allowed linebackers to be free
I was amazed in that game how our outside DBs/LBs just refused to break the line of scrimmage. They were standing there, waiting for Navy to reach the LOS before they even reacted. It was the most ridiculous Defense scheme I've seen. A total lack of aggression on our part.

Reactions: td75
What was bad was how much practice time (even in spring ball) KW used to prep for the triple option - KW preferred term was “Navy Bone” - and we still looked completely unprepared, just lost out there. I don’t agree the coaches didnt know how to stop it, they just didn’t get the players ready to stop it.
What was also bad was when we lost at Annapolis to yet another backup QB.

I was amazed in that game how our outside DBs/LBs just refused to break the line of scrimmage. They were standing there, waiting for Navy to reach the LOS before they even reacted. It was the most ridiculous Defense scheme I've seen. A total lack of aggression on our part.

Passive is the culture of Indiana football. When have we ever imposed our will on a good team? Its beyond pathetic. Getting harder and harder every year to support this program that doesnt seem to ever want to be good.

Passive is the culture of Indiana football. When have we ever imposed our will on a good team? Its beyond pathetic. Getting harder and harder every year to support this program that doesnt seem to ever want to be good.
I know the idea was to wait until Navy committed, but we could have blown up many plays if we'd have just reacted a second sooner. I know it wasn't the players - it had to have been the scheme.

Reactions: td75
Two bad football hires and keeping Crean way too long until the decision was made for him is all you have to say about Fred Glass. Good builder but not a coach AD.

Glass didn't keep Crean too long unless you are of the group that wanted him gone early. That decision was taken out of his hands until he got support in the final year. This was discussed and settled by the adults on this board.

Additionally, the jury is still out on the second FB hire btw.

Unfortunately that is what option football is designed to do. You are forced to play assignment football on defense. It makes you think instead of just going. Usually the linebacker and d tackle have dive back the d ends have quaterback and outside backers and d backs have pitch. It sounds so easy but for some reason it is very tough.

Reactions: 76-1
Unfortunately that is what option football is designed to do. You are forced to play assignment football on defense. It makes you think instead of just going. Usually the linebacker and d tackle have dive back the d ends have quaterback and outside backers and d backs have pitch. It sounds so easy but for some reason it is very tough.
I realize this. But after doing the same thing - and getting pounded - for a while, you'd think the coaches would have got 1 guy to try to disrupt the play in the backfield.

By waiting to commit, we allowed them to string out the play and get a 1-on-1 situation almost every time.

The discouraging part is, as another poster pointed out, we supposedly had been working on that defense all Fall camp.

Glass didn't keep Crean too long unless you are of the group that wanted him gone early. That decision was taken out of his hands until he got support in the final year. This was discussed and settled by the adults on this board.

Additionally, the jury is still out on the second FB hire btw.
So it was Glass who wanted him gone but mysterious other people made him keep Crean? Are you serious with this?

It didn't happen that way, as you probably know, but I'm not sure it has any relevance for this forum.
I don't know if this was intended as bait, but it sure worked. Ord #25 just outed himself. Among the many things he cannot let go is any suggestion that it was Glass' decision to fire Crean.

Welcome back Ord. How long till you come unhinged this time ?

Reactions: UncleMark and DANC
I realize this. But after doing the same thing - and getting pounded - for a while, you'd think the coaches would have got 1 guy to try to disrupt the play in the backfield.

By waiting to commit, we allowed them to string out the play and get a 1-on-1 situation almost every time.

The discouraging part is, as another poster pointed out, we supposedly had been working on that defense all Fall camp.
All fall, all spring. And for the two years we played Navy. So if the 2012 defeat wasn’t enough, we prepared for it for another year. But those were in the Doug Mallory days. It was hard enough to get everyone ready to perform against a normal offense.

Reactions: DANC and IUCol
The opposite has actually been discussed.

Glass wanted to keep Crean but the BoT stepped in. It’s why Crean was so shocked. He had heard from Glass he was safe. Until it wasn’t Glass’s choice.

For the fourth and final time,

That isn't accurate, as has been discussed before, but if it helps you feel better about your hard on for Glass...knock yourself out.

Oh, and...the people aren't "mysterious" at all to me or the other donor that sat across the lunch table and had two BOT members tell us what happened. The only part that you and your uber troll buddy got right is that Buckner got it done.

Believe what you need to Ace.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUCol
The opposite has actually been discussed.

Glass wanted to keep Crean but the BoT stepped in. It’s why Crean was so shocked. He had heard from Glass he was safe. Until it wasn’t Glass’s choice.
This is not accurate at all...

All fall, all spring. And for the two years we played Navy. So if the 2012 defeat wasn’t enough, we prepared for it for another year. But those were in the Doug Mallory days. It was hard enough to get everyone ready to perform against a normal offense.
Should never wait. Need to attack the quarterback- fullback mesh point and attack your assignment. But lining d tackles on a gaps was bad idea nothing happens in a gaps in option football.

This is not accurate at all...
With some nuances, it’s very accurate. And most people now acknowledge that Buckner led the intervention. But there was a reason Crean felt okay in leaving town for a Florida vacation, as it was told to him that his position was secure. At the 11th hour, that changed.

Reactions: IUgradman
For the fourth and final time,

That isn't accurate, as has been discussed before, but if it helps you feel better about your hard on for Glass...knock yourself out.

Oh, and...the people aren't "mysterious" at all to me or the other donor that sat across the lunch table and had two BOT members tell us what happened. The only part that you and your uber troll buddy got right is that Buckner got it done.

Believe what you need to Ace.
You’re contradicting yourself. Buckner got it done but Fred had wanted to for years? Ok

By the way, I know 2 members of the BoT well. That’s how I announced it was Archie a day before any news outlet or IU site. I know EXACTLY how it went down.

You’re contradicting yourself. Buckner got it done but Fred had wanted to for years? Ok

By the way, I know 2 members of the BoT well. That’s how I announced it was Archie a day before any news outlet or IU site. I know EXACTLY how it went down.

You bet Ace.

And this is EXACTLY why Kevin Wilson did not win a whole lot more games during his Indiana tenure!!!

The defense was an absolute fiasco and Fred Glass should've never put up with it. Fred is so mediocre, he really is.

Anyone else tell you about it before it happened? Anyone else tell you about Archie the night before?

Take a seat bud. Lots for you to learn young grasshopper.
But before Archie was named, you guaranteed that Billy Donovan would succeed Crean.

And this about Hunter Johnson, who transferred last spring from Clemson to Northwestern:

"He’ll end up at Purdue. Someone close to him told me when he was a senior in HS that he would eventually transfer to Purdue. I thought it was crazy at the time, but it’s going to end up that way."

Make Indiana Great Again!

14 fpeaugh, May 21, 2018

"Take it to the bank."

42 fpeaugh, May 21, 2018

You've got some serious credibility issues, pal.

But before Archie was named, you guaranteed that Billy Donovan would succeed Crean.

And this about Hunter Johnson, who transferred last spring from Clemson to Northwestern:

"He’ll end up at Purdue. Someone close to him told me when he was a senior in HS that he would eventually transfer to Purdue. I thought it was crazy at the time, but it’s going to end up that way."

14 fpeaugh, May 21, 2018

"Take it to the bank."

42 fpeaugh, May 21, 2018

You've got some serious credibility issues, pal.
I never guaranteed Donovan.

And you conveniently left off where I said the only other school with a chance was Northwestern.

But whatever you say.

And yet I believe Glass was quoted as saying he did not plan to hire Allen before he fired Wilson. So it just hit him as he left Wilson's meeting and walked down the hall?
No, you are mistaken. That is not what Glass said. What he said was that he planned on offering the job to Allen but that he had not mentioned it to him before he canned Wilson.

I never guaranteed Donovan.

And you conveniently left off where I said the only other school with a chance was Northwestern.

But whatever you say.
Donovan is waiting for Cal to hang it up at UK. He will then go back to Kentucky and finish his career up in Lexington.

My aunt is friends with Billy and Christine...Christmas Card friends, know what I mean...They lived in the same neighborhood, Heartland, in Lexington when Billy D was an assistant to Ricky Pitino and stayed fairly close. I've met them both 20 years ago at a game in Freedom Hall.

He did turn down the UK job in 2008...he was their first choice but they settled for Cal. At least that was what Christine told my aunt.

i don’t think so. He hired him because he thought he could take Kevin Wilson’s 5 to 6 wins per year to 7 or 8 wins. Otherwise, he would hired an experienced HC. Well, based on the first 2 seasons under Allen, he’s had 5 wins last year and 4 (my prediction) this year. Bottom line, Glass made a bad hire.
And yet I believe Glass was quoted as saying he did not plan to hire Allen before he fired Wilson. So it just hit him as he left Wilson's meeting and walked down the hall? Good lord. If nothing else, we should all be mad that Glass thought we (fans) were so stupid we would believe that.

i don’t think so. He hired him because he thought he could take Kevin Wilson’s 5 to 6 wins per year to 7 or 8 wins. Otherwise, he would hired an experienced HC. Well, based on the first 2 seasons under Allen, he’s had 5 wins last year and 4 (my prediction) this year. Bottom line, Glass made a bad hire.
Stick it up your butt. Go to the PUke sight if this is what your going to bring to this one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT