ADVERTISEMENT

Did Glass hire Allen to take a step backwards?

We'll dick around for two more years with this....just like w Lynch.

Only team in the country that will.

And we'll have several of the usuals telling us Allen just needs more time...when the end of the story is obvious.
LOL You keep saying this. Lynch went 7-5 and a bowl game his first year as INTERIM coach. Then coached 3 years as HC and went 3,4, and 5 wins. The last year we go bowling if Demarlo Belcher doesn't drop a pass against Iowa.

So Lynch had 3 year as HC and the previous 2 years had NO recruiting base whatsoever, due to Hep's health and the interim status. He was starting to get traction, but geniuses like you couldn't stand improvement, so we got Wilson, who got 1 big win the next year. One. And sucked for 3 more years before Purdue hired Darrell Hazel to get Wilson to over 5 wins.

But don't let facts stand in the way of your opinion.

LOL You keep saying this. Lynch went 7-5 and a bowl game his first year as INTERIM coach. Then coached 3 years as HC and went 3,4, and 5 wins. The last year we go bowling if Demarlo Belcher doesn't drop a pass against Iowa.

So Lynch had 3 year as HC and the previous 2 years had NO recruiting base whatsoever, due to Hep's health and the interim status. He was starting to get traction, but geniuses like you couldn't stand improvement, so we got Wilson, who got 1 big win the next year. One. And sucked for 3 more years before Purdue hired Darrell Hazel to get Wilson to over 5 wins.

Don't forget an abysmal season by Michigan State and the Penn State sanctions.

Reactions: DANC and iueyedoc99
We could have had the guy on the opposite sideline. Or Brohm. There are plenty of young coaches out there.
Fleck's record isn't good at Minny, and Brohm will be moving onto greener pastures after this year. Maybe Fleck pans out, maybe not. Who are your next can't miss coaches? Neat to know you have the solution to IU football. Hire the Brad Stevens of football, right? With your input, IU will be Michigan, Ohio St., and Penn St. in no time. IU basketball is not the same as IU football.

Allen was a proven DC and has ties to the state, especially Indianapolis. Is he more than a DC? I don't know. I think we will know for sure in 1-2 years.

Last edited:
There shouldn’t be one true fan in the stadium. It’s just for social fans now who don’t care about wins.
I’ve always felt fans support the kids and admin supports the coach. Boycotting games is a disservice to the kids. Attendance doesn’t get coaches fired anymore. Too much TV money. Respectfully disagree. I do agree our coaching staff has blown what should have been two seasons of at least 6 wins. We have enough talent to win 6. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: iulb and DANC

So you think Indiana should have stayed with Lynch? That's some revisionist history right there. The program was abysmal under his stewardship. Are you forgetting the 80+ points Wisconsin hung on them in Madison? Lynch should have never been hired as full time coach in the first place. A national search should have been conducted for the best candidate. But I get it, it was the feel good thing to do and Indiana took the coward's way out. Like when it hired Mike Davis. Like when it hired Tom Allen. At some point you'd think the University would learn its lesson. But no, and here we are...

Ha! Hilarious. But to be expected from the Indiana based fan that has no clue what big-time football feels like.

You, and maybe a half dozen others, think that Lynchball was in any way comparable to what we had with Wilson, while the rest of the nation finally respected us as a somewhat dangerous team.

Lynch benefitted from 8 game B10 seasons, and even dodged Mich and OSU both one year, and still only managed 1-7....FOR THREE STRAIGHT YEARS...in conference.

Wilson cleaned up the mess Lynch left us with, and got us to two straight bowls....while playing in the newly created B10 East. He had us competing within 3 years. He beat ranked Mizzou there. He beat ranked MSU. He beat Penn State for the first time ever. He held the Bucket for 4 years.

He's now coaching at OSU.

Where's your boy again? Rose Hulman or something?

It's your hard hitting insight that's the real problem with Indiana football. Fans that simply don't know what big boy football looks like. Easy to understand though.

Ha! Hilarious. But to be expected from the Indiana based fan that has no clue what big-time football feels like.

You, and maybe a half dozen others, think that Lynchball was in any way comparable to what we had with Wilson, while the rest of the nation finally respected us as a somewhat dangerous team.

Lynch benefitted from 8 game B10 seasons, and even dodged Mich and OSU both one year, and still only managed 1-7....FOR THREE STRAIGHT YEARS...in conference.

Wilson cleaned up the mess Lynch left us with, and got us to two straight bowls....while playing in the newly created B10 East. He had us competing within 3 years. He beat ranked Mizzou there. He beat ranked MSU. He beat Penn State for the first time ever. He held the Bucket for 4 years.

It's your hard hitting insight that's the real problem with Indiana football. Fans that simply don't know what big boy football looks like. Easy to understand though.

Lynch is a terrible football coach. Nice man. Just awful as a coach at this level. As bad as Allen’s teams have regressed, it’s still a shade better than Lynch. Everybody conveniently fails to remember that Lynch also completely blew games at home in 2006 while filling in as an interim for Hep. Lost to UCONN and Southern Illinois at home. He turned around in 2008 and got blasted by Central Michigan at home. It was a pattern with the guy. He just flat out stunk.

Reactions: IUgradman
Lynch is a terrible football coach. Nice man. Just awful as a coach at this level. As bad as Allen’s teams have regressed, it’s still a shade better than Lynch.

I agree.

I so much wanted Allen to show me he had something...we'd have a successful Indiana guy that loved being here.

I've waited two years for him to pull off ONE upset...even a little one. But he can't. He plays old school, close to the vest conservative football...which you can't do when you're the historically worst BCS team.

He didn't have some long term pedigree at a football factory. He has no experience at how to operate a successful football team.

Fred got him in over his head. Not his fault, but seems apparent.

I see no way this HC gets us to (let's be realistic) Norrhwestern, Miss St, Wash St, Texas Tech levels.

We took a flyer. It's not working. Cut bait and bring in a staff that has shown they can win at "less expensive" schools.

We are seeing more and more once downtrodden schools rise up and display winning football programs. Kentucky comes to mind immediately, Purdue, Northwestern, Kansas State, and there are certainly other examples out there.

Indiana just needs to hire the correct coach, without that, it's hard to win. Ask Tennessee how hard it is to win with mediocre head coaches....lol....and that's a program that adores football.

So you think Indiana should have stayed with Lynch? That's some revisionist history right there. The program was abysmal under his stewardship. Are you forgetting the 80+ points Wisconsin hung on them in Madison? Lynch should have never been hired as full time coach in the first place. A national search should have been conducted for the best candidate. But I get it, it was the feel good thing to do and Indiana took the coward's way out. Like when it hired Mike Davis. Like when it hired Tom Allen. At some point you'd think the University would learn its lesson. But no, and here we are...
I just go by facts. Wilson was certainly no more impressive than Lynch, in terms of on-field performance. You all like to point out the Wisconsin game. Which is worse - getting waxed by Wisconsin or getting beat by North Freaking Texas U.? I was at that game and can tell you it was abysmal.

You ignore the impossible recruiting situation IU was in during and after Hep's illness. You ignore Lynch bowl - and winning - year. You ignore his progression every year after the talent gap finally caught up with us.

But go ahead and think like the rest of the herd. Don't bother to look at actual facts.

Yeah, I guess Lynch didn't have the powerhouses to play like Rutgers and Maryland in the B1G.....

Did you go to the North Texas game? Did you go to the Bowling Green game? Obviously not.

You really don't know what the hell you're talking about if you think Wilson was an upgrade over Lynch. Hell, it took him 4 years to even get to 6 wins despite playing cupcakes every year.

But you'll forgive Wilson for 4 mediocre years, but dog Lynch for a winning record and years that didn't come close to the first 2 Wilson years. You wouldn't give Lynch any more than 3 years as HC, but you give Wilson 6, despite his acting like a fool and embarrassing the university.

Yeah, I guess Lynch didn't have the powerhouses to play like Rutgers and Maryland in the B1G.....

Did you go to the North Texas game? Did you go to the Bowling Green game? Obviously not.

You really don't know what the hell you're talking about if you think Wilson was an upgrade over Lynch. Hell, it took him 4 years to even get to 6 wins despite playing cupcakes every year.

But you'll forgive Wilson for 4 mediocre years, but dog Lynch for a winning record and years that didn't come close to the first 2 Wilson years. You wouldn't give Lynch any more than 3 years as HC, but you give Wilson 6, despite his acting like a fool and embarrassing the university.
The biggest difference I see is (as you and others have pointed out): 1 coach started with a bowl - the other ended with two straight and was fired. I’ll take the second any day.

Lynch is a terrible football coach. Nice man. Just awful as a coach at this level. As bad as Allen’s teams have regressed, it’s still a shade better than Lynch. Everybody conveniently fails to remember that Lynch also completely blew games at home in 2006 while filling in as an interim for Hep. Lost to UCONN and Southern Illinois at home. He turned around in 2008 and got blasted by Central Michigan at home. It was a pattern with the guy. He just flat out stunk.
Says the guy who was an Allen cheerleader until he starts losing.

I'm getting whiplash, trying to follow your changing positions.

Why don't you bring up 2007 - that last winning year IU had? That makes Lynch our last winning coach. Hmmmm.....winning. That's something Wilson never gave us. Something Dinardo didn't give us. Something Cameron didn't give us. No, Lynch coached our last winning season. A rather inconvenient fact for the herd here who like to repeat something until it's considered fact.

You're conveniently using games from the beginning of Wison's tenure as examples (when he was using Lynch's players), and the beginning of Lynch's tenure (when he was using Hep's players).

One took a team on the rise, was handed a bowl team, and won 3 BT games (one a season) in three seasons after the team was his.

The other guy inherited that dumpster fire, and steadily built us into a bowl team. His last two years we bowled.

Now, just like the Lynch era, we have another underqualified guy that fell into the job because of circumstances...and just like Lynch...we're headed back to 1 win conference seasons.

You're conveniently using games from the beginning of Wison's tenure as examples (when he was using Lynch's players), and the beginning of Lynch's tenure (when he was using Hep's players).

One took a team on the rise, was handed a bowl team, and won 3 BT games (one a season) in three seasons after the team was his.

The other guy inherited that dumpster fire, and steadily built us into a bowl team. His last two years we bowled.

Now, just like the Lynch era, we have another underqualified guy that fell into the job because of circumstances...and just like Lynch...we're headed back to 1 win conference seasons.
You mean the players Lynch recruited that improved every single year after his winning season? Those players could only win 1 game the next year?

Wilson was as underqualified as it gets. At least Lynch had D1 HC experience at BSU.

Yet you worship Wilson when he left us with absolutely nothing at QB.

The last 2 years we bowled because of one guy - Darrel Hazel. If PU had any kind of coach, we wouldn't have won those games.

Reactions: Dick nixon
You mean the players Lynch recruited that improved every single year after his winning season? Those players could only win 1 game the next year?

Wilson was as underqualified as it gets. At least Lynch had D1 HC experience at BSU.

Yet you worship Wilson when he left us with absolutely nothing at QB.

The last 2 years we bowled because of one guy - Darrel Hazel. If PU had any kind of coach, we wouldn't have won those games.
Wilson had won the assistant coach of the year and had worked at some big time programs. Bob Stoops got hired at Oklahoma and did not have any experience as HC as did Ferentz at Iowa.

Wilson had won the assistant coach of the year and had worked at some big time programs. Bob Stoops got hired at Oklahoma and did not have any experience as HC as did Ferentz at Iowa.
Some succeed, some don't. The argument presented was about qualifications. Give me a former D1 over a Coordinator any time.

How is the former Coordinator of the year doing at O$U?

Some succeed, some don't. The argument presented was about qualifications. Give me a former D1 over a Coordinator any time.

How is the former Coordinator of the year doing at O$U?
I am not defending Wilson because I wanted him gone and did not care for him as a coach. What I am saying at the time of the hire I think he was the best of the candidates. I just think at IU you will either get an up and coming coach from a conference like the MAC or you get a coordinator form a top program.

Hmm, let me look up the stats...

Oh, looks like his QB passed for 455 yards and 6 TD's against the defensive mastermind we replaced him with in a blowout.
How was his coaching on Defense?

Oh, that's right - he had zero experience coaching Defense and as HC.

And I didn't even have to look it up!

Why don't you bring up 2007 - that last winning year IU had? That makes Lynch our last winning coach. Hmmmm.....winning. That's something Wilson never gave us. Something Dinardo didn't give us. Something Cameron didn't give us. No, Lynch coached our last winning season. A rather inconvenient fact for the herd here who like to repeat something until it's considered fact.

I’ve seen the light, brother, and this is Lynch ball 2.0. Lynch was awful. Lynch built off of a 2006 campaign that was on the up swing. Hep had upset #13 Iowa and destroyed Michigan state at home. He had Lewis and Hardy. But, the real insight into Lynch was that 2008-2010 seasons. That is where he failed to capitalize on any momentum. He was just terrible,

How was his coaching on Defense?

Oh, that's right - he had zero experience coaching Defense and as HC.

And I didn't even have to look it up!

Quite honestly, not really worth arguing whether Lynch is a better coach than Kevin Wilson (can't believe there are those out there that actually believe that, but whatever.

That said, I'll offer you the opportunity to profit from your faith in Allen.

How about we put up a grand on his success? He proves to be equal to Wilson, and gets us to two bowls...I'll owe you $1,000. Certainly he can match Wilson's stats, right?

If not, and he is fired before he gets us to two bowls, you owe me the grand.

Should be an easy way for you to prove your conviction, and put me in my place.

You in?

Quite honestly, not really worth arguing whether Lynch is a better coach than Kevin Wilson (can't believe there are those out there that actually believe that, but whatever.

That said, I'll offer you the opportunity to profit from your faith in Allen.

How about we put up a grand on his success? He proves to be equal to Wilson, and gets us to two bowls...I'll owe you $1,000. Certainly he can match Wilson's stats, right?

If not, and he is fired before he gets us to two bowls, you owe me the grand.

Should be an easy way for you to prove your conviction, and put me in my place.

You in?
I don't bet with internet tough guys.

Where have you seen me defending Allen? I haven't. All I've said is, Fred won't fire him this year, next year, and the year after that. I've said he'll be here 2 years after this one, because that's how Fred operates. And I said don't shoot the messenger. That means I don't agree with it - I just think that's what will happen, based on what Fred has said about honoring contracts.

Go find one of my posts where I've said I have faith in Allen. I'll wait.

I don't bet with internet tough guys

Internet tough guys?

Internet tough guys are guys that make bold claims with no recourse.

I'm offering skin in the game based on my belief that our coach is a dud. That's not tough guy, that's no bullshit, putting your money where your mouth is.

Tell ya what, I'll give you odds. My 1k against your 500 that either 1) Allen gets to two bowl games as coach at Indiana, or 2) Bill Lynch gets picked up by any BCS staff within the next 5 years as an active coach.

Surely other BCS coaches will recognize the greatness of the only coach to achieve a winning record at Indiana and offer him some gig.

Either of those happen you get a grand, if not, it'll cost you 500.

On second thought, I'm feeling confident here. I'll lower it to 250.

Easy money for a guy of your conviction.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Fire Allen at the end of the season, and back up the truck! Hire Les Miles at 5 mill a year and 7 million for his staff. Decide if we want s football team or not, sh*t or get off the pot!!

Reactions: Crimson Crush
Internet tough guys?

Internet tough guys are guys that make bold claims with no recourse.

I'm offering skin in the game based on my belief that our coach is a dud. That's not tough guy, that's no bullshit, putting your money where your mouth is.

Tell ya what, I'll give you odds. My 1k against your 500 that either 1) Allen gets to two bowl games as coach at Indiana, or 2) Bill Lynch gets picked up by any BCS staff within the next 5 years as an active coach.

Surely other BCS coaches will recognize the greatness of the only coach to achieve a winning record at Indiana and offer him some gig.

Either of those happen you get a grand, if not, it'll cost you 500.

On second thought, I'm feeling confident here. I'll lower it to 250.

Easy money for a guy of your conviction.

Here is the record of your hero the year after Lynch
G Date Day School Opponent Conf Pts Opp W L Streak Notes
Sep 3, 2011 Sat Indiana N Ball State MAC L 20 27 0 1 L 1 Indianapolis, IN
2 Sep 10, 2011 Sat Indiana Virginia ACC L 31 34 0 2 L 2
3 Sep 17, 2011 Sat Indiana South Carolina State Non-Major W 38 21 1 2 W 1
4 Sep 24, 2011 Sat Indiana @ North Texas Sun Belt L 21 24 1 3 L 1
5 Oct 1, 2011 Sat Indiana Penn State Big Ten L 10 16 1 4 L 2
6 Oct 8, 2011 Sat Indiana (19) Illinois Big Ten L 20 41 1 5 L 3
7 Oct 15, 2011 Sat Indiana @ (4) Wisconsin Big Ten L 7 59 1 6 L 4
8 Oct 22, 2011 Sat Indiana @ Iowa Big Ten L 24 45 1 7 L 5
9 Oct 29, 2011 Sat Indiana Northwestern Big Ten L 38 59 1 8 L 6
10 Nov 5, 2011 Sat Indiana @ Ohio State Big Ten L 20 34 1 9 L 7
11 Nov 19, 2011 Sat Indiana @ (12) Michigan State Big Ten L 3 55 1 10 L 8
12 Nov 26, 2011 Sat Indiana Purdue Big Ten L 25 33 1 11 L 9
More 2011 Indiana Pages

Damn, he gave up over 50 points not once, not twice, but 3 TIMES!

And the team won 5 games the year before. How does that happen with a coaching genius? 41 points to a sucky Illinois team? Losing to Ball State? And (wait for it)....... NORTH TEXAS!

When do we put him in the Hall of Fame?

I just go by facts. Wilson was certainly no more impressive than Lynch, in terms of on-field performance. You all like to point out the Wisconsin game. Which is worse - getting waxed by Wisconsin or getting beat by North Freaking Texas U.? I was at that game and can tell you it was abysmal.

You ignore the impossible recruiting situation IU was in during and after Hep's illness. You ignore Lynch bowl - and winning - year. You ignore his progression every year after the talent gap finally caught up with us.

But go ahead and think like the rest of the herd. Don't bother to look at actual facts.

The rest of the herd...? Nice.

Bill Lynch was given ample time to improve Indiana Football. He failed in that endeavor and was summarily removed as head coach.

I didn't ignore the impossible recruiting situation during and after Hep's illness. Those are the breaks.

I didn't ignore "Lynch" bowl and ONLY winning year. Indiana was crushed in the Insight.com bowl by Oklahoma St. 49-33. And to even make it there he needed a last second field goal to beat Purdue.

I didn't ignore his progression. Bill Lynch improved his Non-Conference record each year at Indiana after his bowl season. From 2 wins to 3 then to 4. Including wins over Div. II Murray St. and Towson. But you left that out on purpose.

Here's what you ignored:

Bill Lynch finished no better than 10th in the B1G during his final three seasons, going 11, 10, 11...back when the Big Ten only had 11 teams, btw.

He finished 1-7 during Conference play in each of those seasons.

During his last year in Bloomington, when the talent gap finally caught up with us, he lost to Wisconsin 83-20 and needed overtime to beat Purdue to notch his only conference win.

Now, those are the facts and why Bill Lynch is currently coaching at DePauw.

You can harp on Wilson all you want, but as far as on-field performance, he was able to beat Michigan St, Penn St (for the first time ever), and lead Indiana to two consecutive bowl games. Something Bill was never able to. Again, those are facts. I can't believe this is even being discussed.

Anything else you'd like to talk about Mrs. Lynch?

Last edited:
Here is the record of your hero the year after Lynch
G Date Day School Opponent Conf Pts Opp W L Streak Notes
Sep 3, 2011 Sat Indiana N Ball State MAC L 20 27 0 1 L 1 Indianapolis, IN
2 Sep 10, 2011 Sat Indiana Virginia ACC L 31 34 0 2 L 2
3 Sep 17, 2011 Sat Indiana South Carolina State Non-Major W 38 21 1 2 W 1
4 Sep 24, 2011 Sat Indiana @ North Texas Sun Belt L 21 24 1 3 L 1
5 Oct 1, 2011 Sat Indiana Penn State Big Ten L 10 16 1 4 L 2
6 Oct 8, 2011 Sat Indiana (19) Illinois Big Ten L 20 41 1 5 L 3
7 Oct 15, 2011 Sat Indiana @ (4) Wisconsin Big Ten L 7 59 1 6 L 4
8 Oct 22, 2011 Sat Indiana @ Iowa Big Ten L 24 45 1 7 L 5
9 Oct 29, 2011 Sat Indiana Northwestern Big Ten L 38 59 1 8 L 6
10 Nov 5, 2011 Sat Indiana @ Ohio State Big Ten L 20 34 1 9 L 7
11 Nov 19, 2011 Sat Indiana @ (12) Michigan State Big Ten L 3 55 1 10 L 8
12 Nov 26, 2011 Sat Indiana Purdue Big Ten L 25 33 1 11 L 9
More 2011 Indiana Pages

And the team won 5 games the year before. How does that happen with a coaching genius? 41 points to a sucky Illinois team? Losing to Ball State? And (wait for it)....... NORTH TEXAS!

When do we put him in the Hall of Fame?
I think that you have valid points in terms of lynch. However, I don’t think that the 2011 season makes him a “worse” coach than lynch. He tore down the team to build it back up. Also recall that like half of the team quit because “he was so mean”. It was a total cultural transition. Guys who played for lynch said they would go full pads maybe once a week. Wilson had physical practices almost every day. Even if we went without pads it was expected to be physical. The complete coaching style difference made a lot of Lynch guys check out mentally, and there was no probability of 2011 ending well. So I think that’s the worst possible example to compare the two.

I do think that it’s valid to argue that Lynch would’ve had similar success. Recall that his 2011 recruiting class was OKAY and finished in the middle of the pack. He got some guys who ended up playing on Sundays in that class, and the new facilities were a big reason as to why the recruiting improved. So I agree that he had an impossible recruiting situation from 08-10, and he did improve recruiting in 11’. Could he have continued the momentum? Who knows. But that is a valid hypothetical.

But we do know that for one reason or another Wilson did improve the talent level from 11’ to 14’ in terms of recruiting, even if conditions for recruiting were more favorable. Mark Hill as the strength and conditioning coordinator was also the best investment he made, and the level in that department improved under Wilson. Hill has been very difficult to replace. So in terms of getting a more athletically gifted group on the field, Wilson wins in that department. Again conditions were more favorable for Wilson, but he got it done.

The only knocks that anyone can make against Wilson is that his in-game management was horrible, he has no regard for defense, he struggled to recruit a QB (Sudfeld was Litrells guy, and Coffman is the only decent QB we can argue he recruited on his own), and his last 2 recruiting classes were awful. In between that he managed to go to back-to-back bowls, change the culture, and bring a level of toughness to IU that had not previously existed. Regardless, he went to more bowls than lynch, which makes any comparison difficult. He was then fired for bogus reasons by an AD that people already find to be suspect (and PC), which is what really pisses a lot of fans off. Had he been fired for in-game management, or the defensive woes, most people would be okay with that IF he was then replaced by a more seasoned coach. But he was fired for a bogus reason, and CTA was promoted by default, which is what really alienates people. I love Wilson, and would’ve even understood firing him for in-game management, but people don’t like WHY he was fired and being replaced by the default guy. I don’t think anyone is saying Wilson was that great, but you at least had an idea of what you were getting and CTA is an unknown. Now under CTA it is clear that another coach will have to learn on the job, which sets the program back. Maybe CTA learns well, and they win 8 games next year? I don’t know. But the frustration of the learning curve with a new head coach, and the inevitable setback understandably frustrates some fans.

Losing to Ball State? And (wait for it)....... NORTH TEXAS!

Well...Wilson never gave up 83.

And Lynch lost to Ball State 42-20 (the year after he had a winning record).

He also lost to Div. II Southern Illinois.

What else you got?

Tale of two football programs. Purdue is awful... hires Brohm from W. Ky and is immediately bowl contender within a couple years. IU fires Wilson, who goes on to be Off Coordinator for Urb at Ohio State, IU hires from Allen from within. Now IU is far worse than under Wilson. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Glass did Wilson the biggest favor of his life firing him when he did. The wheels were getting ready to fall off. Just look at his last two recruiting classes. The trend was going in the tank. Even if Allen loses out the rest of the season I doubt he is going anywhere if he can keep his class together. Maybe he makes big changes and keeps recruiting at this level. We might still have a shot. The freshman class this year are some of the better players I have seen at IU. Nothing to do bit wait and see how it plays out.

Reactions: DANC

I have to chime in, Crimson crush used to share my long view of Allen, but the MN game seems to have broken him of that.

I was super disappointed and think Allen would look so different to everyone if we would have finished Fri night and not had special teams meltdown and beaten PSU too.

But we didn’t and I know it doesn’t look good right now. But I still say a win over MD and a great Bucket win over a “better” PU team would still be a great finish.

I also believe Penix at QB helm next year and all the talented FR/RS FR playing this year a spring and summer later will give IU a better shot to finish a few more next season. Penix will change the offensive dynamic with the thhtreat of a real long ball, then Scott and Samson James May become real RB game threats too.

I am bummed for Allen and get the high fan frustration but still now don’t think firing a coach two years in in wise move. But I do think and want Allen to evaluate the staff and hopefully make some upgrades like he did with S/C after last season.

If they were to pull out MD win and PU upset wouldn’t most people say “Ok, they’ve showed some moxie to end year and are going Bowling again, finish strong recruiting class, adjust staff and keep showing growth?” We for one will as I still think Allen will get better and better talent has a way of making coaches look smarter. Penix will be a program changer. I think he is the real deal, will surpass Sudfeld numbers career type talent.

The rest of the herd...? Nice.

Bill Lynch was given ample time to improve Indiana Football. He failed in that endeavor and was summarily removed as head coach.

I didn't ignore the impossible recruiting situation during and after Hep's illness. Those are the breaks.

I didn't ignore "Lynch" bowl and ONLY winning year. Indiana was crushed in the Insight.com bowl by Oklahoma St. 49-33. And to even make it there he needed a last second field goal to beat Purdue.

I didn't ignore his progression. Bill Lynch improved his Non-Conference record each year at Indiana after his bowl season. From 2 wins to 3 then to 4. Including wins over Div. II Murray St. and Towson. But you left that out on purpose.

Here's what you ignored:

Bill Lynch finished no better than 10th in the B1G during his final three seasons, going 11, 10, 11...back when the Big Ten only had 11 teams, btw.

He finished 1-7 during Conference play in each of those seasons.

During his last year in Bloomington, when the talent gap finally caught up with us, he lost to Wisconsin 83-20 and needed overtime to beat Purdue to notch his only conference win.

Now, those are the facts and why Bill Lynch is currently coaching at DePauw.

You can harp on Wilson all you want, but as far as on-field performance, he was able to beat Michigan St, Penn St (for the first time ever), and lead Indiana to two consecutive bowl games. Something Bill was never able to. Again, those are facts. I can't believe this is even being discussed.

Anything else you'd like to talk about Mrs. Lynch?
Two word: North Texas

Tale of two football programs. Purdue is awful... hires Brohm from W. Ky and is immediately bowl contender within a couple years. IU fires Wilson, who goes on to be Off Coordinator for Urb at Ohio State, IU hires from Allen from within. Now IU is far worse than under Wilson. You get what you pay for.
The only difference between now and the Wilson years is that PU is now no longer a pushover.

If PU hadn't been a dumpster fire when Wilson was here, he'd have never gone to a bowl game or finished with more than 5 wins.

Reactions: IUgradman

Two words: Southern Illinois.

I can do this all day.

Bwaaahahah...

Still ignoring those inconvenient facts.

Your unfettering and outdated support for Bill Lynch is strange but admirable. Perhaps you should venture over to the DePauw board and voice your opinion.

Two words: Southern Illinois.

I can do this all day.

Your unfettering and outdated support for Bill Lynch is strange but admirable. Perhaps you should venture over to the DePauw board and voice your opinion.
You're right - we could go all day comparing the cupcakes IU has lost to under various coaches.

I don't support Lynch as much as point out how he was kicked to the curb after only 3 years as head coach. Wilson got 6 and never had the number of wins Lynch had as interim coach.

I just felt the guy got a raw deal. You don't. And here we are now, sitting at 4 wins. With mostly Wilson recruits.

You're right - we could go all day comparing the cupcakes IU has lost to under various coaches.

I don't support Lynch as much as point out how he was kicked to the curb after only 3 years as head coach. Wilson got 6 and never had the number of wins Lynch had as interim coach.

I just felt the guy got a raw deal. You don't. And here we are now, sitting at 4 wins. With mostly Wilson recruits.

That's just it...my point was Lynch should never have been give a deal at all.

I almost forgot, in Wilson's last season at Indiana the Big Ten moved to a 9 game conference schedule. Wilson ended up 4-5. Not a winning record, but more Big Ten wins than Lynch could muster in THREE years.

Wilson was also extended by the same man who fired Lynch, but was then removed for a non-performance related issue. I'd say that right there speaks volumes as to how both were perceived by the powers-that-be.

#LEO

Last edited:

Actually, I was at the North Texas and the Bowling Green games. You fail to mention the game at Missouri the next week that I also attended where we won. CKW had some duds, but we were in literally every game he coached his last two seasons. To ignore that trend is foolish.

Nothing about the program has improved under CTA. Nothing.

Actually, I was at the North Texas and the Bowling Green games. You fail to mention the game at Missouri the next week that I also attended where we won. CKW had some duds, but we were in literally every game he coached his last two seasons. To ignore that trend is foolish.

Nothing about the program has improved under CTA. Nothing.

There were a couple of blowout losses. The biggest was 52-26 to Michigan State.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT