ADVERTISEMENT

Did Glass hire Allen to take a step backwards?

bdhman

Senior
Gold Member
Apr 19, 2002
i don’t think so. He hired him because he thought he could take Kevin Wilson’s 5 to 6 wins per year to 7 or 8 wins. Otherwise, he would hired an experienced HC. Well, based on the first 2 seasons under Allen, he’s had 5 wins last year and 4 (my prediction) this year. Bottom line, Glass made a bad hire.

i don’t think so. He hired him because he thought he could take Kevin Wilson’s 5 to 6 wins per year to 7 or 8 wins. Otherwise, he would hired an experienced HC. Well, based on the first 2 seasons under Allen, he’s had 5 wins last year and 4 (my prediction) this year. Bottom line, Glass made a bad hire.

I like Glass, but it was a bad hire. Allen is not the right guy

We'll dick around for two more years with this....just like w Lynch.

Only team in the country that will.

And we'll have several of the usuals telling us Allen just needs more time...when the end of the story is obvious.

Probably pretty accurate. Maybe even three.

Agree it will be one or two more years of this. Sadly we will be looking for a coach when we have had four or so bad seasons instead of having done a search after we had been to two straight bowls. Sure that won't impact quality of applicants.

Reactions: fpeaugh
You can't really fire Allen now. It just won't help. Hopefully he learns from this season. I think next year could be good.

Not a fan of fleck and he was on a 6 game conference losing streak so he has not really done much his first 2 years.
He’s no Brohm but he has the youngest team in the country and is starting a true freshman QB. He has a lot of upside.

Fire the d and o coordinator.

I don't want FG making anymore football choices. A new FB oriented AD and give CTA one more year. Maybe the new AD will have more than 1 game helmet during the year Save $125 K Fred, it's all about the bottom line.

Wish I was in Naples :)

I said it when they promoted CTA. I'll say it again.

I find it hard to believe that Indiana University had the best head coaching prospect in the nation on staff when they fired Kevin Wilson. Yes it was a mid-to-late season dismissal and CTA was clearly the proper choice to finish that year, however, that was a terrible decision...to not launch a search for a new head coach.

I fear, as several other posters on here have expressed...that we are on the IUFB coaching carousel again and it may be several seasons until we have the opportunity to correct it...

Should be...?

He's hired two football coaches. One he had to fire and now this...

He also let a marginal basketball coach stick around for NINE years.

I'd say it's pretty obvious what needs to be done.

Glass wanted Crean out earlier.

I said it when they promoted CTA. I'll say it again.

I find it hard to believe that Indiana University had the best head coaching prospect in the nation on staff when they fired Kevin Wilson. Yes it was a mid-to-late season dismissal and CTA was clearly the proper choice to finish that year, however, that was a terrible decision...to not launch a search for a new head coach.

I fear, as several other posters on here have expressed...that we are on the IUFB coaching carousel again and it may be several seasons until we have the opportunity to correct it...

The season was over. Wilson was fired on December 1st, a few weeks before the bowl game. Then he walked down the hall and gave Tom Allen the job. He met with the press the same morning and said that he had seen the way the kids reacted to Tom Allen. That was it.

It is ironic that previously Glass waited until Jan 12, a couple weeks after the Pinstripe Bowl, to extend CKW's contract until 2022. That had to kill momentum with recruiting that year

Meanwhile, he made the decision to hire Tom Allen in less time than one would need to have a cup of coffee and take a dump.

Last edited:
Fleck isnt half the coach Brohm is. The guy we should go after is UABs coach. Bill Clark. The guy goes 6-6 in his 1st season as coach of a Historically bad program. With a little help from Jordan Howard. They shut the program down for 3 years! Comes back and goes 8-5! In Conference USA. And now this year they are 6-1 I think. Typical guy that does more with less.

Last edited:
Reactions: td75 and Mbooch12
Fleck isnt half the coach Brohm is. The guy we should go after is UABs coach. Bill Clark. The guy goes 6-6 in his 1st season as coach of a Historically bad program. With a little help from Jordan Howard. They shut the program down for 3 years! Comes back and goes 8-5! In Conference USA. And now this year they are 6-1 I think. Typical guy that does more with less.

He would be a great hire for you guys.

Reactions: Mbooch12
Should be...?

He's hired two football coaches. One he had to fire and now this...

He also let a marginal basketball coach stick around for NINE years.

I'd say it's pretty obvious what needs to be done.
Two bad football hires and keeping Crean way too long until the decision was made for him is all you have to say about Fred Glass. Good builder but not a coach AD.

If he doesn’t then Glass should be fired with him
I've been up & down as far as how I feel about Glass, but there's no question that his track record of talent evaluation is not great. Nor has been his decision making, can't really defend him on that at this point.

Reactions: IUgradman
The season was over. Wilson was fired on December 1st, a few weeks before the bowl game. Then he walked down the hall and gave Tom Allen the job. He met with the press the same morning and said that he had seen the way the kids reacted to Tom Allen. That was it.

It is ironic that previously Glass waited until Jan 12, a couple weeks after the Pinstripe Bowl, to extend CKW's contract until 2022. That had to kill momentum with recruiting that year

Meanwhile, he made the decision to hire Tom Allen in less time than one would need to have a cup of coffee and take a dump.

Thanks for the correct timeline...honestly...that makes this a much worse situation. IMHO.

I never understood the big stall out on the Wilson extension. It was a bad look at the time and I'm sure didn't help his recruiting.

I don't think much of Glass at all, I really don't. From where I sit, any ole Joe Blow would've matched or out performed his performance. Glass has access to huge money and has bungled the football program even with all of that cash!

And yet I believe Glass was quoted as saying he did not plan to hire Allen before he fired Wilson. So it just hit him as he left Wilson's meeting and walked down the hall? Good lord. If nothing else, we should all be mad that Glass thought we (fans) were so stupid we would believe that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT