ADVERTISEMENT

Devos being treated like she deserves

During my local travels, I happen to drive by 2 charter schools. One is located in a former
furniture store and the other is located in an abandoned 1950s style motel.

Hopefully, they both are technologically up-to-date, in terms of equipment and have competent administrators and faculty.

My grand kids go to a charter. It is in a school building that was closed because of changing family demographics in the neighborhood. They outgrew the facility. Added on once and also use a nearby church. I know of one closed Jr. High that houses 2, maybe 3 separate charters in the same building. Some denver elementary schools were converted to charters and are in the same building. One of those brags that it is the only elementary school where each kid gets an iPad. That school is in a racially mixed area. One, high school funded by the Gates Foundation was built anew as a charter.

Last edited:

My grand kids go to a charter. It is in a school building that was closed because of changing family demographics in the neighborhood. They outgrew the facility. Added on once and also use a nearby church. I know of one closed Jr. High that houses 2, maybe 3 separate charters in the same building. Some denver elementary schools were converted to charters and are in the same building. One of those brags that it is the only elementary school where each kid gets an iPad. That school is in a racially mixed area. One, high school funded by the Gates Foundation was built anew as a charter.

Is that charter school attached to any sort of religious curriculum, beliefs, etc.?

Apparently De Vos sees HBCUs/black colleges are pioneers of school choices.

I didnt know that?!! Wow.

Slavery was a vocation?

Last edited:

I didnt know that?!! Wow.

Slavery was a vocation?

She's getting massacred all over the place for that terrible choice of words. I find it interesting that this Administration is supporting HBCs, as they clearly lead towards resegregation IMO rather than integration.

She's getting massacred all over the place for that terrible choice of words. I find it interesting that this Administration is supporting HBCs, as they clearly lead towards resegregation IMO rather than integration.

She was trying to fit it into her boss's narrative regardless of reality. Poor woman ... getting pushed around like she's back in 3rd grade by the boys.

Another one of those amazing cabinet picks of Trump's. To try to pretend like this was a CHOICE made, is beyond belief.

Reactions: T.M.P.
She was trying to fit it into her boss's narrative regardless of reality. Poor woman ... getting pushed around like she's back in 3rd grade by the boys.

I think she's just genuinely not that smart. She married into wealth. Otherwise, what does she have to show for her life?

Still, there is little if anything she can do about unions. Everything relevant to unions is at the state and local level.
There are things as Secretary of Education she could do that effect unions. She could close the department. She could shrink it to a minimal group doing a couple of things with no money. She could rescind every regulation operative on the subject the feds have ever issued. There is a lot more. Stripping out the programs - every single one - that the union wants or that benefits it in any way would be good.

I know that?!! Wow.

Slavery was a vocation?

I think she's just genuinely not that smart. She married into wealth. Otherwise, what does she have to show for her life?
Just one more piece of evidence she's not qualified for the job.

Heads are exploding all over the place. There is nothing objectively wrong with what she said. Blacks couldn't receive a higher education in historically white universities so they took things into their own hands and provided an education alternative.

You really ought to think about how historically white universities treat blacks students. They mostly exploit them for the billions in athletic revenue or they treat them like ornaments so they can smugly say they believe in diversity; but real diversity is the last things these pompous universities and their self-righteous administrators want.

Reactions: Ladoga
Heads are exploding all over the place. There is nothing objectively wrong with what she said. Blacks couldn't receive a higher education in historically white universities so they took things into their own hands and provided an education alternative.

You really ought to think about how historically white universities treat blacks students. They mostly exploit them for the billions in athletic revenue or they treat them like ornaments so they can smugly say they believe in diversity; but real diversity is the last things these pompous universities and their self-righteous administrators want.
Stop. She completely misrepresented why HBCUs were formed, and is frankly, just not very bright.

Reactions: mjvcaj
Stop. She completely misrepresented why HBCUs were formed, and is frankly, just not very bright.

Stop. She got it right. At most she is guilty of an inapt analogy. To take HBCU's into the school choice discussion is questionable. But her point is that millions of kids, mostly minorities, are being deprived of a descent education. That needs to change.

She will claim that Plessy v Ferguson opened up more transportation alternatives for blacks next?

Clever, but i think you embarass yourself with a post like this more than you take a shot at Devos. Talking about segregated rail cars or bathrooms or what have you is not similar to her point about HBCU's.

Last edited:

What is wrong with what she said, aside from the dumb analogy to alternative schools, is that it's another example that all she has to offer to the students who are stuck in troubled schools is a philosophy of choice. That philosophy didn't fit the reality that gave rise to HBCUs ('necessity' is not the same as 'choice'), and it doesn't significantly fit the reality for many children today. Hopefully I'm wrong and she has some sort of useful vision, because we can't afford to drift with no national education leadership for 4 years.

What is wrong with what she said, aside from the dumb analogy to alternative schools, is that it's another example that all she has to offer to the students who are stuck in troubled schools is a philosophy of choice. That philosophy didn't fit the reality that gave rise to HBCUs ('necessity' is not the same as 'choice'), and it doesn't significantly fit the reality for many children today. Hopefully I'm wrong and she has some sort of useful vision, because we can't afford to drift with no national education leadership for 4 years.
If the House GOP has its way, we won't have any national education leadership long before she hits four years, anyway.

What is wrong with what she said, aside from the dumb analogy to alternative schools, is that it's another example that all she has to offer to the students who are stuck in troubled schools is a philosophy of choice.

No, just cuz she talks about alternative schools doesn't mean she will let traditional schools die on the vine.

That philosophy didn't fit the reality that gave rise to HBCUs ('necessity' is not the same as 'choice'), and it doesn't significantly fit the reality for many children today

No necessity is not the same as choice. But it is a necessity that we address the serious problems with non-performing schools.

we can't afford to drift with no national education leadership for 4 years.

I think you have elevated the department of education, and its secretary, far beyond what it is. Mostly it simply administers IDEA, k-12, enforces Title IX, and administers a few other kinds of funds appropriated by congress. Education leadership is concentrated in state and local government. Any additional authority for the Secretary of the Department of Education will require an act of congress.

I think you have elevated the department of education, and its secretary, far beyond what it is. Mostly it simply administers IDEA, k-12, enforces Title IX, and administers a few other kinds of funds appropriated by congress. Education leadership is concentrated in state and local government. Any additional authority for the Secretary of the Department of Education will require an act of congress.

I think this depends on whether national leadership on education would require expending Treasury funds (eg, Bush's No Child Left Behind Act). I agree our public schools don't depend on the Department of Education to continue doing what they're doing. Hopefully, though, the Department will play a role in helping them to do better.

Hopefully, though, the Department will play a role in helping them to do better.

Hopefully the National Federal Department of Education Planning and Excellence will play no role in local education except to supply some needed funding. We don't need national bureaucrats imposing mind-numbing national multi-leveled minutae in education of our kids.

Hopefully the National Federal Department of Education Planning and Excellence will play no role in local education except to supply some needed funding. We don't need national bureaucrats imposing mind-numbing national multi-leveled minutae in education of our kids.

So you're hunky dory with our public education system?

So you're hunky dory with our public education system?

LOL . . . No . . . . . LOL.

LOL You sound like some other posters by even asking that question based on my post. LOL

Stop embarrassing yourself.

Stop. She got it right. At most she is guilty of an inapt analogy. To take HBCU's into the school choice discussion is questionable. But her point is that millions of kids, mostly minorities, are being deprived of a descent education. That needs to change.

You really need to utilize spellcheck. Otherwise, your posts look like those from a hillbilly. Inept and decent

You really need to utilize spellcheck. Otherwise, your posts look like those from a hillbilly. Inept and decent

*snicker*

Neither you nor CO gets it. "Inapt" was a correct use of the word.

Regarding his use of "descent", either it was a Freudian slip indicating what he really thinks of the public school systems - as in the education one gets could lead to Hades - or he misspelled it, as you pointed out.

*snicker*

LOL . . . No . . . . . LOL.

LOL You sound like some other posters by even asking that question based on my post. LOL

Stop embarrassing yourself.

You seem to care about the issue. I'm trying to understand how you think things are ever going to improve if we rely exclusively on local leadership.

Watching people barricading a public school reminded me of the bigotry of George Wallace as he did the same.

really? you and those who saluted you equate trying to preserve public schools with trying to preserve segregation?

if she were merely making her case for what she believes in like everyone else is forced to do, that's one thing.

make your case, convince others you're right.

buying her way into a position to force her positions down other's throats, is another.

aside from the fact that what she's pushing is incendiary to begin with, she's a poor spokesperson to be doing it, in that's she's a walking poster child to corruption and money in govt.

no doubt i would possibly agree with her on many things. not so much on others.

but once you try to buy your way in, instead of winning the debate on it's merits, that's disqualifies you to me, and apparently to others as well.

i have my share of issues with public schools.

doing away with them, or even nudging things in that direction, is not the solution i seek.

Her father was Edgar Prince founder of Prince Group and CEO of Johnson Controls. Her and her idiot brother inherited his fortune. She didn't marry into it.

Her father was Edgar Prince founder of Prince Group and CEO of Johnson Controls. Her and her idiot brother inherited his fortune. She didn't marry into it.

She went from millions to billions with marriage.

Wtf are you talking about? Do you even Amway?

You said "she married into money". That idiom generally implies that she had none. It means to acquire a fortune through the act of marriage.

She along with her idiot brother were the heirs to Edgar Prince's fortune. His company was sold, by the heirs, after Edgar's death, for over 1.3 billion. Yes, she increased her wealth through marriage, but she didn't "marry into money" she already had a fortune.

That's WTF I'm talking about.

Reactions: Timmy! and dahldc
You said "she married into money". That idiom generally implies that she had none. It means to acquire a fortune through the act of marriage.

She along with her idiot brother were the heirs to Edgar Prince's fortune. His company was sold, by the heirs, after Edgar's death, for over 1.3 billion. Yes, she increased her wealth through marriage, but she didn't "marry into money" she already had a fortune.

That's WTF I'm talking about.

If he died before his company was sold, how was he CEO of Johnson Controls?

And who the hell cares?

It's ironic that Trump gets to be a raging, flaming, insulting, hypocritical, pathologically lying dumb ass at every turn but no one else. He's the sitting President of the United States of America. Seems like the most appropriate response to this would be, "They're being Trump-like assholes." At the very least you kill two birds with one stone that way and put it in proper societal context. Devos represents Trump.

"I'm photographing De Vos later"

"What no way, that cretin?, bet you can't.... ummm... get this apple in the photo."

"Bet I can"

"How are you going to do it? Discretely in a fruit bowl?"

"Hold my beer."

I think it may get worse for her. She bought this position by her past campaign contribtions to R senators

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-keg-our-politics-are/?utm_term=.ca0a09ad2180

Bringing Charter Schools back to the top.

Here is a very good piece about one of the several charter schools in the Denver Public School system. As I mentioned here from time to time, Colorado and Denver have a very robust system of charter schools. (This is largely the result of changes in state law championed by the GOP, which shouldn't matter but it does). In Denver, the board of education goes beyond charters and allows "innovation schools" which operate like a charter but have no charter. Denver, like many large cities, is heavily Democratic. The otherwise very liberal Board of Education is all in on charters and choice and what such shcools bring to the table. (Discussed elsewhere in this thread)

This brings me to the 2017 very contentious Denver school board election. Dark money poured in. A lot of it from teacher union interests and some of it from those who support school choice. This was Democrat vs. Democrat situation. The progressives are of course those who support the trend towards charters. The opposite of progressives were the union candidates who vehemently objected to the reduction of power and influence that charters and innovation brings to the schools.

Moreover, education becomes tainted by national politics. As one observer noted:

Several factors are at play: the controversial tenure of U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, long-simmering divides within the Democratic party over education policy, a more aggressive teachers union, and the growing influence of outside groups responsible for a torrent of mailers and digital advertising that can prove powerful in low-turnout elections.
Odd that the pro-reform/choice candidates are tied to Trump and DeVos because too a person, they oppose, if not vehemently despise, both. Of the four open seats, 2 pro-choice candidates won, and 2 union supported candidates won. In my area, the pro-union candiate won with a plurality because the pro-choice vote was split two ways.

Regardless of Trump and DeVos, the charter movement, in my view, must go forward. The Language School desribed in the link could never exist as a traditional one-size-fits-all school. The US ranks in the mid-teens for STEM education among nations of the industrialized world. Kids also no longer learn trades in high school. And we have a shortage of skilled labor in most of the county. Charter and other school choice efforts can address this.

The Democratic "free college for all" pablum won't cut it. Free college doesn't necessarily give us more engineers, welders, doctors, pipe-fitters, or scientists. Free college is a slogan. We need a concerted effort to change the direction of education and our collective skills and abilities. We need to set the stage for that in K-12. Traditional public education is failing in that mission. Charters and choice can begin to fix it.

Oh, my grandkids attend the Denver Language School. Both received bi-lingual certificates after the 5th grade.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
ADVERTISEMENT